Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

thats right... HDMI handshaking it is... with the green and white flickering of the screen as it changes inputs...

a bit annoying nevertheless...

HMMM I have the 40" F81.... and I just bought my kids a Wii, and the sound does not work at all for it.... I have tried it being connected by both normal VGA + 2 audio, as well as component AV..... Although it works on the little 19" samsung they gave away with the larger TV... I tried to start a new topic, but for some reason am not able to!

I don't have anything else to connect to my TV either.... as the rest is HDMI.... which works flawlessly.... any ideas?

Edited by Swabio

HMMM I have the 40" F81.... and I just bought my kids a Wii, and the sound does not work at all for it.... I have tried it being connected by both normal VGA + 2 audio, as well as component AV..... Although it works on the little 19" samsung they gave away with the larger TV... I tried to start a new topic, but for some reason am not able to!

I don't have anything else to connect to my TV either.... as the rest is HDMI.... which works flawlessly.... any ideas?

Try testing some other device into the audio in ports on the AV jacks to make sure that the Samsung actually works. if it doesn't, call samsung to get it fixed.

Try testing some other device into the audio in ports on the AV jacks to make sure that the Samsung actually works. if it doesn't, call samsung to get it fixed.

Yeah, I am just going to have to find something to connect to it via AV.... i better try and locate the cables for the vid cam!

Yeah, I am just going to have to find something to connect to it via AV.... i better try and locate the cables for the vid cam!

Just a quick change of topic. I am new to the thread and haven't read the entire thread yet (take me months!). However, there were mentions that the F8 had standby power issues - that is, it would consume 34 watts in standby (rather than >1). I have spoken to Samsung and they have said that i switch off the 'over the air' update feature on the TV before taking a reading. I am currently trying to get my hands on an energy meter. Has anyone taken an energy reading with this feature turned off? Is it less than 1 watt?

Just a quick change of topic. I am new to the thread and haven't read the entire thread yet (take me months!). However, there were mentions that the F8 had standby power issues - that is, it would consume 34 watts in standby (rather than >1). I have spoken to Samsung and they have said that i switch off the 'over the air' update feature on the TV before taking a reading. I am currently trying to get my hands on an energy meter. Has anyone taken an energy reading with this feature turned off? Is it less than 1 watt?

If it is that much of a problem,pull the PLUG out.

Even if it is 34 watts that's only 10 cents a day.

Hope you do not expend to much energy getting the energy meter.

HDrocks: :huh: F8 still the best Pic of them all.

If it is that much of a problem,pull the PLUG out.

Even if it is 34 watts that's only 10 cents a day.

Hope you do not expend to much energy getting the energy meter.

HDrocks: :huh: F8 still the best Pic of them all.

......... of the Samsungs. : P

......... of the Samsungs. : P

Thanks for the Reply. I have the energy meter and will be taking a reading tonight. Although it may only cost 10 cents, i can certainly guarantee that it won't be 10 cents forever. What gets to me is that Samsung have assured customers on several occasions that it was >1 watt and it doesn't seem to be true. One of the reasons i didn't buy a Plasma was due to its ridiculous energy consumption.

Thanks for the Reply. I have the energy meter and will be taking a reading tonight. Although it may only cost 10 cents, i can certainly guarantee that it won't be 10 cents forever. What gets to me is that Samsung have assured customers on several occasions that it was >1 watt and it doesn't seem to be true. One of the reasons i didn't buy a Plasma was due to its ridiculous energy consumption.

for those of you who care, I took the reading last night.

Standby power: 0.8 watts

power on with D65 picture settings: 181 watts

So no 34 watts on standby mode.

for those of you who care, I took the reading last night.

Standby power: 0.8 watts

power on with D65 picture settings: 181 watts

So no 34 watts on standby mode.

So what do we all do now:Return the sets because it only burns .8 instead of 1.

HDrocks: :P :Still looking for the .2.

So what do we all do now:Return the sets because it only burns .8 instead of 1.

Sorry HDRocks you have me confused with the hundreds of whingers on this forum. I thought i would post something constructive, like our TV is not as bad as people make it out to be. There is a reason why we paid top dollar for this TV and not a cheap panasonic plasma.

BTW, the blue light was on. The 34 watt standby reading must have been with the 'over-the-air' feature turned on - so make sure it is off. HDROCKS you can leave it on as you don't give a sh!t.

Quote:

BTW, the blue light was on. The 34 watt standby reading must have been with the 'over-the-air' feature turned on - so make sure it is off. HDROCKS you can leave it on as you don't give a sh!t.

I can afford to.

HDrocks: :P Get a life.

Ha! That is actually quite funny. Get a life? After reading the thread it seems that i am not the only person you have criticised or abused. Now who doesn't have a life....spending your time insulting people on a TV forum. Is that what makes you feel better?....did mummy hurt you when you were small....did daddy make you squeal like a pig. Come on you can tell us. We are all friends here.

I am having problems forcing 1080P in-game on my ps3. It will not let me unselect 576P as a resolution in the configuration menu. No problems displaying 1080P whilst not in-game, but as soon as I start a game instead of staying at 1080P it defaults to 576P because of the fact that it wont let me unselect it.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? The TV is still running the original firmware it shipped with at the beginning of 2008.

Argh this tv (f8 46inch) keeps dissapointing me.

1st I knew before I purchased that the glass was not non-reflective but I still got it(silly I know)

2nd I can't re-organise the channels

but now I finally have a chance to hook my dvd hdd recorder to it so I cant watch it PIP WTF??.

My old samsung 32 inch had a non-reflectice screen

I could re-organise the channels and when I would play the Xbox360 I would choose the dvd hdd recorder as an external device and watch it through PIP at the same time. and listen to it though the stereo which is good when you're in a lobby with boring basterds.

All things I will be checking the next time I buy.

Soooo,

After having 4 DOA 46" F81s at first, I now have had to send my 46" F81 (#5) in to the service shop.

On Sunday a black line the width of the screen suddenly appeared, about 3" from the top of the screen with faint echoses 1 and 2" above and below the line.

On Monday I called Samsung, very efficiently they gave me a case number and referred me to my local service centre.

The service centre says it wouldn't have been long before the whole thing went.

I took the Set in today, and they're going to look at it and order whatever replacement parts they need. They suspect the panel will need to be replaced.

:(

I miss my telly! And I still love the picture!

The TiVo is funny on a 20" 4:3 TV ;)

I have a 3+1 year warranty, beginning to wish I had a 5 year :-\

Oh Well, if it doesn't last the more than 4 years, at least I will be able to justify an upgrade to LED backlighting, or whatever is hot then :)

Edited by Stux

When I started this thread some 2 years ago I was one of the first to receive the new F-Series LCD....

So I thought I should provide one last update...

Well, I am no longer the owner of the F-series as it died and the part for repair was unavailable...

So it was swapped over for a newer model....

That is all...

When I started this thread some 2 years ago I was one of the first to receive the new F-Series LCD....

So I thought I should provide one last update...

Well, I am no longer the owner of the F-series as it died and the part for repair was unavailable...

So it was swapped over for a newer model....

That is all...

Hi i have had my F81 for almost 2 years and it has been flawless up until now.I watch Fox Classics a lot as i like old shows but have black bars down each side of the screen 4.3.I have noticed a burn in line half way down the screen on the left hand side from the top when watching full screen,the line is where the black bar ends and picture begins.Is there a dvd that can fix this problem.

Hi i have had my F81 for almost 2 years and it has been flawless up until now.I watch Fox Classics a lot as i like old shows but have black bars down each side of the screen 4.3.I have noticed a burn in line half way down the screen on the left hand side from the top when watching full screen,the line is where the black bar ends and picture begins.Is there a dvd that can fix this problem.

Hi,

I am not sure about your screen burn in, maybe you can search the forums for some info.

The only product I am aware of is Pixel Protector. Google this and read about it as it apparently helps fix screen burn in...

skouta.

Hi,

I am not sure about your screen burn in, maybe you can search the forums for some info.

The only product I am aware of is Pixel Protector. Google this and read about it as it apparently helps fix screen burn in...

skouta.

Thanks i will give it a try.

Thanks i will give it a try.

All you have is image retention,spend a day or two watching 16 x 9 programs and it will vanish.

You might want to look at your contrast and brightness settings as they could be high.

I use a 550 as a monitor,its on for 8 hrs a day maybe more and it has no image retention.

HDrocks:F81 Still Rocking. B)

I have noticed a burn in line half way down the screen on the left hand side from the top when watching full screen,the line is where the black bar ends and picture begins.Is there a dvd that can fix this problem.

LCD image persistance is a memory effect of the liquid crystals. It's not as permenent as phosphor burn in a CRT display, but if you continue to watch 4:3 displayed programmes it's unlikely to correct itself. I'd think that removing the effect on a television LCD would be harder than on a computer LCD simply because it's not as easy to invoke preventative measures on a TV display.