Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

Can anyone tell me exactly what the F8 Alternate Motion Plus Settings (v1.0) firmware update is meant to fix? I've already received an update to fix the wave issue earlier this year, but I've just discovered this firmware update on Samsung's website.

along with the motion plus fix... it also fixes a few frame rate issues...

I've turned off Motion Plus on most modes now as you can just see too many artifacts. The one that annoys me is when someone moves and it leaves their edges/shadow behind.

Anyway the set is still the best picture I've seen... its as if a slice of reality is suspended in your living room :)

The biggest pet peeve is now that it refuses to remember to stay on 'Just Scan' mode between power cycles, always reverting to 16:9.

Is there a known issues with the LA46F81BDX having a picture/sound delay?

I've turned off Motion Plus on most modes now as you can just see too many artifacts. The one that annoys me is when someone moves and it leaves their edges/shadow behind.

Anyway the set is still the best picture I've seen... its as if a slice of reality is suspended in your living room :)

The biggest pet peeve is now that it refuses to remember to stay on 'Just Scan' mode between power cycles, always reverting to 16:9.

I don't think the 'Just Scan' mode is a power cycle problem. I was noticing mine do the same thing. I found out what was doing it. If you set it to 'Just Scan' on an HD channel it will revert itself back to 16:9 when you change it to a SD channel. I figured 'just scan' must just be an HD thing as this option is grayed out when viewing a SD channel. It's just a shame it doesn't remember the 2 options

I am having the same issue, especialy on the component input, is there any way to fix it?

Please i urge you not to buy the Samsung F8.

At the time of when i was searching for a 40-42inch lcd in january 2008 we were absolutely sold on the F8(Mainly due to Myers strong emphasis on the tv for some reason) and thought it was the best until we went to bing lee, they basicly told us that the F8 has a problem with its 100hz motion plus system and that it is faulty.

Now i know that most of those 100hz systems aren't very good anyway but they highly recommended the Philips Full Hd range, in our case the, 42PFL9632D/79. They demonstrated its de-judder and anti-motion blur system and its general picture quality against all the other tvs their including, the samsung, sony and sharp and the philips was the clear standout in terms of picture clarity, black levels and its outstanding motion system, basicly the total opposite of samsungs. Their was no judder or motion blur at all in the picture and left the other tvs for dead, particuly the sony with the most judder probaly due to its 8ms response time compared to the philips class leading 3ms.(The F8 is 6ms).

At the time of when i was searching for a 40-42inch lcd in january 2008 we were absolutely sold on the F8(Mainly due to Myers strong emphasis on the tv for some reason) and thought it was the best until we went to bing lee, they basicly told us that the F8 has a problem with its 100hz motion plus system and that it is faulty.

Now i know that most of those 100hz systems aren't very good anyway but they highly recommended the Philips Full Hd range, in our case the, 42PFL9632D/79. They demonstrated its de-judder and anti-motion blur system and its general picture quality against all the other tvs their including, the samsung, sony and sharp and the philips was the clear standout in terms of picture clarity, black levels and its outstanding motion system, basicly the total opposite of samsungs. Their was no judder or motion blur at all in the picture and left the other tvs for dead, particuly the sony with the most judder probaly due to its 8ms response time compared to the philips class leading 3ms.(The F8 is 6ms).

I dont think people will buy them now anyway, seeing as they have been superseded! ;)

I dont think people will buy them now anyway, seeing as they have been superseded! ;)

can anyone with an F8...especially the 52 inch tell me what they have their 'Sharpness' levels set to ?

I have had mine for a couple of months now and every now and again I think the picture isnt as sharp as it should be....

You waited till now to tell us all that we should be buying philips.

Whats it feel like to be a loser.

HDrocks: :P On an F8.

looks to me that your just trying to justify your philips purchase

Hi i have foxtel on component and when the sound delay happens(about twice a night)i just turn the foxtel box off and back on again and all is ok for awhile.

interesting.. iim not facing these sound delay problems because ive connected the foxtel via scart to component to my AV receiver.. lucky ive escpaed this issue...

You waited till now to tell us all that we should be buying philips.

Whats it feel like to be a loser.

HDrocks: :P On an F8.

LOL

Hello, I m a first time poster from NZ.

Bought my F81 recently and very happy with it. Went into the service menu and noticed the firmware version was 1003!!

Just wondering if I can flash the 1013 firmware from the Australian samsung site onto my TV?

Does anyone know if that will work?

Also, whats people's experience with the 1013 firmware? I heard that it reduces the strength of the Motion Handling and fixes the hum bars, but some people reports that the IQ is decreased after they put on this firmware?

cheers!

Hello, I m a first time poster from NZ.

Bought my F81 recently and very happy with it. Went into the service menu and noticed the firmware version was 1003!!

Just wondering if I can flash the 1013 firmware from the Australian samsung site onto my TV?

Does anyone know if that will work?

Also, whats people's experience with the 1013 firmware? I heard that it reduces the strength of the Motion Handling and fixes the hum bars, but some people reports that the IQ is decreased after they put on this firmware?

cheers!

I would expect this to be a bad idea, especially since NZ uses a different DTV system to australia.

Hi, any of you guys noticed any deterioration of your LCD screens since you received them? (have had mine since March) My 46 inch up close has very visible and pronounced rectangles across the whole screen . When I look at LCDs in stores of various sizes including the new model there are no such rectangles visible. It is less visible when farther away but didn't notice any of this when I first got the TV. I am getting severe gradation on movies and banding of background. No such problem on televised live FTA although images are not a detailed as they used to be. Bought myself a new panasonic upscaling DVD player with True colour which is supposed to get rid of colour banding but nothing has changed. If anything FTA local stuff and movies are gradually getting worse. When close ups of faces on movies the cheek area of actors is often yuck and gradation bands showing and the background very banded and not visible or clear at all as I would expect. Blue ray movies are the same. Often bare arms look fake as the banding occurs.

Hi, any of you guys noticed any deterioration of your LCD screens since you received them? (have had mine since March) My 46 inch up close has very visible and pronounced rectangles across the whole screen . When I look at LCDs in stores of various sizes including the new model there are no such rectangles visible. It is less visible when farther away but didn't notice any of this when I first got the TV. I am getting severe gradation on movies and banding of background. No such problem on televised live FTA although images are not a detailed as they used to be. Bought myself a new panasonic upscaling DVD player with True colour which is supposed to get rid of colour banding but nothing has changed. If anything FTA local stuff and movies are gradually getting worse. When close ups of faces on movies the cheek area of actors is often yuck and gradation bands showing and the background very banded and not visible or clear at all as I would expect. Blue ray movies are the same. Often bare arms look fake as the banding occurs.

ring samsung and get someone to come fix it. I've had mine since early march too and the PQ is just as perfect as when it was new

yep... thats where the 3 years warranty comes into play.... call them and see what they say

Went to the Good guys, Pooraka on Sunday to find out who to call re the TV issue I had, e.g black vertical lines (visible when close to the tv but not from 3 meters or more)and severe colour gradation when playing DVDs and FTA movies.

Got hold of the samsung agent in Adelaide on Monday but they couldn't send anyone around till Thursday. Supposed to be here at 1.30 but got here at 5.30pm. He looked at the tv and straight away said it wasn't right and would require a new board. He took it away and said it would take 4 to 5 days to get it back to me. At least no questions asked except had to provide proof of purchase, fortunately had it close by. He said it was one of those rare things that can go wrong even with any good quality TV but more likely to happen with cheaper brands. Lucky it wasn't dead pixel issue, would have been harder to get fixed. So for now have had to go back to my old 68cm TV. Right when the olympic games are on. Bugger!!!! 4 to 5 days? I can live without the missus for a while but I can't live without my TV especially now it has been here for 4 months. Am counting the sleeps till it comes back to me. :D

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 91

Brightness: 49

Sharpness: 29

Colour: 56

Tint (G/R): G46/R54

Colour Tone: Warm1 (But this entirely depends on your choice. See what you like best)

Backlight: 5 (This again depends on the lighting on your room.. Put it at about 4 for a bright room and about 6-7 for a dimly lit room)

Auto Motion Plus 100 hz: Medium (Well.. what can i say.. some switch it off.. some just put it on medium .. i have no problems with it on medium and i do find it makes a difference with it switched off)

Under Detailed Settings:

Black Adjust: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +3 (Again, this depends on the lighting in your room)

Colour Space: Auto

White Balance: R offset: 15

G offset: 15

B offset: 14

R gain: 19

G gain: 19

B gain: 26

My Colour Control: Pink: 15

Green: 15

Blue: 15

White: 16

Edge Enhancement: Off

Anyway.. these are the settings on my TV in low to medium lit room...

ofcourse tweak it a bit here and there for your own eyes..

try keeping this settings for about 1 week and then your eyes will get used to it and when you switch back to dynamic.. it kinda sounds quite unusual i say..

basically ive just tweaked it myself from the one in hdtvtest..

applied these settings to foxtel via s-video and it looks great, thanks.

I am having the same issue, especialy on the component input, is there any way to fix it?

I had a guy come and replace 'a board' in the set. SEEMS better, but I'm not sure. Also, the picture seems grainy now, but after playing with settings, it might be OK now... What I did find strange was when I did the firmware update, it said, 'Upgrading from version 3000 to 1013'...

Version 3000 on thew new board?!

I had a guy come and replace 'a board' in the set. SEEMS better, but I'm not sure. Also, the picture seems grainy now, but after playing with settings, it might be OK now... What I did find strange was when I did the firmware update, it said, 'Upgrading from version 3000 to 1013'...

Version 3000 on thew new board?!

Maybe you shouldn't have upgraded it ;)

Sorry to bring up an Old thread but i think i have some problem with my F81 46 inches .

I got a PS3 connect up to this Samsung F81 via HDMI cable . Whenever select the disc to play the blu-ray the screen flickering turn to a white noise pics for few sec before it go to all the FBI warning and stuff . It does it again everytime the disc change title ex from FBI screen to New Movie Trailer and stuff . But i done when the main movie play .

Is there something wrong with my Samsung ? anyone here have this kind of problem before ?

Thank for all the help

Sorry to bring up an Old thread but i think i have some problem with my F81 46 inches .

I got a PS3 connect up to this Samsung F81 via HDMI cable . Whenever select the disc to play the blu-ray the screen flickering turn to a white noise pics for few sec before it go to all the FBI warning and stuff . It does it again everytime the disc change title ex from FBI screen to New Movie Trailer and stuff . But i done when the main movie play .

Is there something wrong with my Samsung ? anyone here have this kind of problem before ?

Thank for all the help

Pretty sure it is a handshaking problem to do with HDMI, atleast that is what it sounds like.

Thank for all the help

Yeah mine does same thing! No biggy though! Just a HDMI issue, TV tries to find a signal and it takes the HDMI a couple secs to send it thru and for the TV to process it!