Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

can your denon give you a display on the front panel indicating the incoming and outgoing signal/resolution?

To trouble shoot you could also get a tool on your HTPC which can trap/display the EDID info - then compare the EDID you get when connected directly to the TV, vs the EDID you get when trying to run through the Denon.

In fact now that you mention it, i believe i read about a problem with Denon *08 models in the Intel G35 thread on AVS forums, regarding them not doing something properly with resolutions (or was it multichannel PCM audio over HDMI) which was as yet unresolved. Maybe check AVS?

Well, everythings working like a dream and would've been if I'd had a 15 metre long ethernet cable when I first got the Denon! All it took was a firmware update of the Denon, and I've got the HTPC passing through the signal to the Denon and then onto the F81. Must've been Denon's well documented EDID issues. Still have to use HDMI2 on the F81 though, otherwise the picture looks crap and overscan correction just never seems to find the exact 1:1 mapping.

Cheers,

milka

There is NO problem using hdmi if you follow the manual's.

I have 46" f8 connected via hdmi[use hdmi 2] and 32" R8 connected via dvi / hdmi[use hdmi 2]

The F8 runs at 1920/1080 at 50 hz[just scan pixel maps at this res] and the R8 runs at 1360/768 at 60 hz[pixel maps at this res]

The R8 is on for 5-6 hrs a day without the slightest problem..

There is also not the slightest problem using the F8 from the pc.

No worries thanks, though shouldn't it be 60hz? That's what it says for VGA...

-Nick

Hi all,

Just bought a 40 inch F8

Had loads of problems with Foxtel IQ and the F8

Since Samsung upgraded firmware it only appears to be a Foxtel issue;)

Shadow and blur/ghosting when watching closeups of people etc....

Foxtel was connected via composite...

Here is my solution:

(1) download the firmware update and install

(2) composite is **** and seems to cause most of the "wave" problems; Buy the SCART too component cables

Since installation of the 6 pin SCART to component cables the problem seems to be solved and picture seems to be great now with no visible wave effects.

Note: you don't need the 6th video cable since you are running in component; I would recommend not even bothering plugging this one in as you might end up selecting the wrong input (if your an idiot like me!)

Hope this helps as it took me a while to figure out

PMY

There is NO problem using hdmi if you follow the manual's.

I have 46" f8 connected via hdmi[use hdmi 2] and 32" R8 connected via dvi / hdmi[use hdmi 2]

The F8 runs at 1920/1080 at 50 hz[just scan pixel maps at this res] and the R8 runs at 1360/768 at 60 hz[pixel maps at this res]

The R8 is on for 5-6 hrs a day without the slightest problem..

There is also not the slightest problem using the F8 from the pc.

Hdrocks; :P On an LCD.

Hdrocks,

Are you using HTPC on both your F81 and R8?

I am planning to upgrade my 37" Sharp Aquos LCD (1366x768) and was looking at the 46" F81 to connect my HTPC. I got a pretty good PQ already and I am not too sure if the improvement in PQ is worth the investment (besides the increase in size, of course). Is there a big gap in the PQ between your R8 against your F81? My connection is currently DVI/DVI, so if I have to upgrade, I have to use DVI/HDMI. I also have a BD drive, hence, the plan to upgrade to 1080p capable panel.

Hdrocks,

Are you using HTPC on both your F81 and R8?

I am planning to upgrade my 37" Sharp Aquos LCD (1366x768) and was looking at the 46" F81 to connect my HTPC. I got a pretty good PQ already and I am not too sure if the improvement in PQ is worth the investment (besides the increase in size, of course). Is there a big gap in the PQ between your R8 against your F81? My connection is currently DVI/DVI, so if I have to upgrade, I have to use DVI/HDMI. I also have a BD drive, hence, the plan to upgrade to 1080p capable panel.

Yes, both are fed from the same card.

As I said the F8 is hdmi/hdmi and the R8 is dvi/hdmi.

If you are going to use the set for a monitor as well as a tv then an upgrade to full HD would not go astray.

HDrocks: :P

Hi all,

Just bought a 40 inch F8

Had loads of problems with Foxtel IQ and the F8

Since Samsung upgraded firmware it only appears to be a Foxtel issue;)

Shadow and blur/ghosting when watching closeups of people etc....

Foxtel was connected via composite...

Here is my solution:

(1) download the firmware update and install

(2) composite is **** and seems to cause most of the "wave" problems; Buy the SCART too component cables

Since installation of the 6 pin SCART to component cables the problem seems to be solved and picture seems to be great now with no visible wave effects.

Note: you don't need the 6th video cable since you are running in component; I would recommend not even bothering plugging this one in as you might end up selecting the wrong input (if your an idiot like me!)

Hope this helps as it took me a while to figure out

PMY

same here... never even go for composite cables for foxtel when buying this TV....

you need a scart to component cable..... and don't buy the 100$ ones.... the 20-30$ ones will do you enough good... i reckoin i even haev one spare one left in my kitty if anyone really needs it desperately

Edited by Rocean

-Nick

Hi Nick,if you read my post you will see that I do not use vga,as far as I am concerned vga is dead.

Over HDMI the F8 needs a 50 hz signal if you want to use just scan[to pixel map].

I am sure that someone such as Owen could step in here and explain that you should not be viewing a movie on a 60 hz signal anyway.

HDrocks: :PI I love the F8's.

Best check the F8 manual first, just checking now:

HDMI/DVI:

800x600 @ 60.317 Hz (VGA: 60.317, 72.188, 75 Hz)

1024x768 @ 60.004 Hz (VGA: 60.004, 70.069, 75.029 Hz)

1280x1024 @ 60.020 Hz (VGA: 60.020, 75.025 Hz)

1920x1080 @ 59.934 Hz (VGA: 59.934 Hz)

From when I was doing some testing with my laptop over VGA and DVI to a 46F8 it was very particular about the refresh rates, I remember 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz was a no-go while 59.934 Hz was fine (but both get listed as 60 Hz, go figure...). Check your HTPC for suitable refresh rates.

Melinda: Sounds like the hardware from the HTPC is changing resolutions or switching modes, maybe try on a VGA screen to see if it flickers when closing Media Centre. Should be fine with DVI -> HDMI cable from a HTPC as long as the refresh modes match correctly, some computers can't output the correct refresh rates without some tweaking which is probably why Samsung don't recommend it. Typically a PC will output rounded refresh rates (exactly 60, 72, 75 Hz etc) whereas the Samsung requires what is above which isn't spot on rounded refresh rate numbers. (Thank you PAL/NTSC...)

Best check the F8 manual first, just checking now:

HDMI/DVI:

800x600 @ 60.317 Hz (VGA: 60.317, 72.188, 75 Hz)

1024x768 @ 60.004 Hz (VGA: 60.004, 70.069, 75.029 Hz)

1280x1024 @ 60.020 Hz (VGA: 60.020, 75.025 Hz)

1920x1080 @ 59.934 Hz (VGA: 59.934 Hz)

From when I was doing some testing with my laptop over VGA and DVI to a 46F8 it was very particular about the refresh rates, I remember 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz was a no-go while 59.934 Hz was fine (but both get listed as 60 Hz, go figure...). Check your HTPC for suitable refresh rates.

Melinda: Sounds like the hardware from the HTPC is changing resolutions or switching modes, maybe try on a VGA screen to see if it flickers when closing Media Centre. Should be fine with DVI -> HDMI cable from a HTPC as long as the refresh modes match correctly, some computers can't output the correct refresh rates without some tweaking which is probably why Samsung don't recommend it. Typically a PC will output rounded refresh rates (exactly 60, 72, 75 Hz etc) whereas the Samsung requires what is above which isn't spot on rounded refresh rate numbers. (Thank you PAL/NTSC...)

For the LAST TIME i hope: The F8 accepts 1920 x 1080p at 50hz and 60 hz from a PC over HDMI.

How do I know.? Because I am sitting in front of it changing signals as I type.

If the set does not accept it its because you have a **** card or you do not have a clue what you are doing.

HDrocks: :P On a LCD at 50 and 60 hz.

Hi all,

I have a 6 month old F81 46 inch and i have noticed what looks like a fleck of dirt in the LCD screen. At first i thought it was dead pixels but it is black or brown. It is about 2-3 mm in size and it is under the screen so you can't clean it. What should i do. Can you pull the screen apart or is it a warranty issue.

Regards

Kellaig

Hi all,

I have a 6 month old F81 46 inch and i have noticed what looks like a fleck of dirt in the LCD screen. At first i thought it was dead pixels but it is black or brown. It is about 2-3 mm in size and it is under the screen so you can't clean it. What should i do. Can you pull the screen apart or is it a warranty issue.

Regards

Kellaig

Whatever you do - do NOT pull the screen apart yourself.

Besides the fact that it is not an easy task - you will instantly void your warranty, and will most likely damage the TV further.

You'll have to log a service call, and try to get it under warranty.

hi all

i'm looking to buy either a 47 or 52 f8

what are the current prices people are getting them for?

hi all

i'm looking to buy either a 47 or 52 f8

what are the current prices people are getting them for?

you will be extremely lucky to find an 52F8 these days.. i think they are almost gone.. none available...

46F8s are doing the 2400$ mark at the moment...

40F8s are doing about $1990

the new A650 series by samsung has now released. Try going in for those is my recommendation. Its around the 3700$ mark for a 52inch, well worth a buy.

cheers.

the new A650 series by samsung has now released. Try going in for those is my recommendation. Its around the 3700$ mark for a 52inch, well worth a buy.

cheers.

In which retail stores? I got quoted $4990 for the 52inch at domayne in liverpool.

does anyone know how much i can score a A650 47 or 40 inch for?

does anyone know how much i can score a A650 47 or 40 inch for?

for what its worth i picked up a 52inch f8 series 6 weeks ago from the GOODGUYS for $3880 after the $300 cashback, the 52 inch f8 picture is brilliant especially with the 1013 firmware upgrade , leaves the 58 inch Sammy plasma picture for dead in my opinion and you dont have to worry about the LCD becoming less bright as it racks up the usage hrs

hdrocks: cheers, must have misread your post the first time. Had another look, NFI where I got the idea you were running VGA from :wacko:

Absolutely loving the F8, going to go get myself a 'free' HT-TX30 now. ($150 + $200 cashback, but the TX30 only costs $350).

-Nick

Hi All,

I am having issues with this TV when enabling xxYCC colour on the menue. I have an Oppor 983H and Pana BD30. They both support it and is enabled in all menus.

When I stop a DVD on the Oppo and then try and play again, the screen goes green over the action being played? I do not have this problem when xxYCC is set to off in the Samsung menu?

Anyone else have this problem or heard of it.

I would like to resolve this as I see a nice difference with xxYCC enabled

hi, can anyone help me out here re the above post?

hi all, new to this forum. i've decided to upgrade my 32" Samsung 720P to a 46" Samsung 1080P LCD (LA46F81BDX). I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to get one. Best price for cash.

I remember looking up a site from this forum, that had a constantly updated list of prices for LCD's in Australia. Might have been a WiKi page, not sure.

Anyway, any help would be great. Looking to get it either next week or the week after. Thanks! :lol:

hi all, new to this forum. i've decided to upgrade my 32" Samsung 720P to a 46" Samsung 1080P LCD (LA46F81BDX). I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to get one. Best price for cash.

I remember looking up a site from this forum, that had a constantly updated list of prices for LCD's in Australia. Might have been a WiKi page, not sure.

Anyway, any help would be great. Looking to get it either next week or the week after. Thanks! :lol:

I don't no if this helps but 2,490 at retravision Perth WA. good hunting. F8 46in

The wiki you are thinking of is hdtvprices - http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/

The wiki you are thinking of is hdtvprices - http://hdtvprices.pbwiki.com/

thanks, and also to the previous poster.

seems a little different then when I checked last. unfortunately, I dont remember where (but it was on this forum), someone mentioned something like $2200 - 2300 range. I was still considering the Samsung 50" P91 at the time, but changed my mind since a friend of mine (who owns one) said there are response time/framerate lag problems with Xbox 360.

i'll try asking around, want to find one at $2300 or less.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the F8 Alternate Motion Plus Settings (v1.0) firmware update is meant to fix? I've already received an update to fix the wave issue earlier this year, but I've just discovered this firmware update on Samsung's website.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the F8 Alternate Motion Plus Settings (v1.0) firmware update is meant to fix? I've already received an update to fix the wave issue earlier this year, but I've just discovered this firmware update on Samsung's website.

There is 100+ pages in this thread talking about the motion plus issues, basically all it does is lower the motion plus settings on low and medium settings so that Motion Plus looks more natural and not as fake. It's not 100% but definitely better.