Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

I have an old video connected in there at the moment but I am not using it so I will unplug it and give that a try I don't know why I didn't think of that last night I tried just about every other combo :) thanks for the suggestion

Mel

Hi I have been looking into buying a new LCD TV and am stuck between the Samsung F8 or Sony Bravia X.

One thing I was wondering about the F8 is if it can support NTSC playback? I have the specifications downloaded and it says "Colour system PAL Multi" I see this as PAL only and I want to know if this is correct or not?

Also how people's experiences with Samsung service has been? I have a friend who would not buy form them because of bad service and problems getting part's so was wondering what other people have experienced.

Thanks In advance

I don't know if it can tune into an analog NTSC RF signal, but it can handle NTSC 480i via AV and NTSC 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i via Component.

Hey Guys...

Got my 52" F81 yesterday

It is simply awesome

Applied the 1013 upgrade as well...went through without a hiccup.....

I know I have seen this somewhere before....but has anyone optimized their settings for this TV ?

What do you suggest for the settings ?

I still get some pixelation on HD channels ...dont know if this is due to the broadcast...or if I should have things like DNIer swithced off ?

At the moment I have the 100Hz Motion setting switched off

Hey Guys...

Got my 52" F81 yesterday

It is simply awesome

Applied the 1013 upgrade as well...went through without a hiccup.....

I know I have seen this somewhere before....but has anyone optimized their settings for this TV ?

What do you suggest for the settings ?

I still get some pixelation on HD channels ...dont know if this is due to the broadcast...or if I should have things like DNIer swithced off ?

At the moment I have the 100Hz Motion setting switched off

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 91

Brightness: 49

Sharpness: 29

Colour: 56

Tint (G/R): G46/R54

Colour Tone: Warm1 (But this entirely depends on your choice. See what you like best)

Backlight: 5 (This again depends on the lighting on your room.. Put it at about 4 for a bright room and about 6-7 for a dimly lit room)

Auto Motion Plus 100 hz: Medium (Well.. what can i say.. some switch it off.. some just put it on medium .. i have no problems with it on medium and i do find it makes a difference with it switched off)

Under Detailed Settings:

Black Adjust: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +3 (Again, this depends on the lighting in your room)

Colour Space: Auto

White Balance: R offset: 15

G offset: 15

B offset: 14

R gain: 19

G gain: 19

B gain: 26

My Colour Control: Pink: 15

Green: 15

Blue: 15

White: 16

Edge Enhancement: Off

Anyway.. these are the settings on my TV in low to medium lit room...

ofcourse tweak it a bit here and there for your own eyes..

try keeping this settings for about 1 week and then your eyes will get used to it and when you switch back to dynamic.. it kinda sounds quite unusual i say..

basically ive just tweaked it myself from the one in hdtvtest..

Mode: Movie

Contrast: 91

Brightness: 49

Sharpness: 29

Colour: 56

Tint (G/R): G46/R54

Colour Tone: Warm1 (But this entirely depends on your choice. See what you like best)

Backlight: 5 (This again depends on the lighting on your room.. Put it at about 4 for a bright room and about 6-7 for a dimly lit room)

Auto Motion Plus 100 hz: Medium (Well.. what can i say.. some switch it off.. some just put it on medium .. i have no problems with it on medium and i do find it makes a difference with it switched off)

Under Detailed Settings:

Black Adjust: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: +3 (Again, this depends on the lighting in your room)

Colour Space: Auto

White Balance: R offset: 15

G offset: 15

B offset: 14

R gain: 19

G gain: 19

B gain: 26

My Colour Control: Pink: 15

Green: 15

Blue: 15

White: 16

Edge Enhancement: Off

Anyway.. these are the settings on my TV in low to medium lit room...

ofcourse tweak it a bit here and there for your own eyes..

try keeping this settings for about 1 week and then your eyes will get used to it and when you switch back to dynamic.. it kinda sounds quite unusual i say..

basically ive just tweaked it myself from the one in hdtvtest..

Thanks for that Rocean...

I have just changed the settings...and will keep an eye on it for a few days...

SO is it the Edge Enhancement that tends to pixelate things a little ? Is this why you have switched it off ?

Or do you tend to see the same thing ?

Some broadcasts are more pixelated than others in the finer details (eg) faces ?

Thanks for that Rocean...

I have just changed the settings...and will keep an eye on it for a few days...

SO is it the Edge Enhancement that tends to pixelate things a little ? Is this why you have switched it off ?

Or do you tend to see the same thing ?

Some broadcasts are more pixelated than others in the finer details (eg) faces ?

well i'll be honest.. but i did a test on these settings while just watching ten hd..

tried my best to find a difference with edge enhancement off and on.. it didn't make any difference on my eyes atleast..

so im not really sure what edge enhancement actually does !

I don't know if it can tune into an analog NTSC RF signal, but it can handle NTSC 480i via AV and NTSC 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i via Component.

Thanks Heaps

Recently noticed a lot of ghosting on this tv....

Exception is when motion flow is set to off (still very slight ghosting can be seen)

This does not necessarily applies to very fast moving scenes/objects but it generally is so.

Havent seen much on Blue ray stuff since i dont have that many to watch.

Quite annoying once u see this... its good tv when it is not.. but when it is.. well.. IT PISSES U OFF!

double post!

Edited by TQN

Hey guys how big is the box for the 46inch sammy, just wondering if Iwould be able to fit it into the back of my car.

Hey guys how big is the box for the 46inch sammy, just wondering if Iwould be able to fit it into the back of my car.

The box for the Sammy is:

134.7 x 87.7 x 42.4cms (Width x Height x Depth)

if its a normal sedan.. i doubt it will fit in your car..

i would recommend a ute or atleast a hatchback.. its quite a big beast ..

Edited by Rocean

I have a hatchback, mazda 2 genki. It looks like it has about 2 meters of space across so think it maybe just a little too small, bugger.

Hi guys,

Took the plunge yesterday and just got the 46" delivered this morning, very sexc indeed..though i have a worry, when i shut the tv off i hear "clicking" noises that go on for a while. Has anyone experienced this problem? Im guessing i might have a faulty unit? or is it something i havnt done right?

any help would be wonderful

Hi guys,

Took the plunge yesterday and just got the 46" delivered this morning, very sexc indeed..though i have a worry, when i shut the tv off i hear "clicking" noises that go on for a while. Has anyone experienced this problem? Im guessing i might have a faulty unit? or is it something i havnt done right?

how long does hte clicking noise go on for ?

basically the clicking is just the TV switching itself off (main power that is).

most of the amplifiers and receivers do the clicking.

my F8 clicks once when power button is pressed.

I have a hatchback, mazda 2 genki. It looks like it has about 2 meters of space across so think it maybe just a little too small, bugger.

It takes a Mazda6 to swallow it ;)

my F8 clicks once when power button is pressed.

A faulty F8 I had clicked continuously when it was off... and it never turned on again ;)

Hi guys,

Mine clicks several times once the tv has just been switched off. Tv works fine as I have had it since November...

Is the 5ms refresh rate of the F81 worth the extra $$ over the M or N series? Which I believe are 8ms. How much motion blur is reduced by this feature if any?

Appears I am not the only one experiencing the clicking - As i have mentioned this earlier back.

It would do continuous clicks when the tv turns on or when it has been turned off..... I am guessing it has to do witht the input sources being checked or something.... If u pay attention, you will sometimes hear the tv click when u change the input sources (from memory).

Motion blur = there are still blur that i can notice on SD DVD sources as well as some HDTV FTA movies, havent seen much on Blue ray as i dont have much materials to test this on.

On motion plus (100mhz) being set to off there is less blur but seems the picture is slightly not as smooth compare to it being on eg low... but blur still exists even on off.

Guess reviewers suggesting anything below 8ms is not noticable by human eye in general is load of crap! bring on the 4 ms in the new models comming!!!!

Guess reviewers suggesting anything below 8ms is not noticable by human eye in general is load of crap! bring on the 4 ms in the new models comming!!!!

I'm not a opthalmologist (IANAO?) but I do think it is quite literally in the eye of the beholder. An individuals optical threshold does vary person to person, so some people will see ghosting at high refresh rates, and some people can see 120hz monitors flicker.

It takes a Mazda6 to swallow it ;)

LOL bugger guess I am getting it delivere.

So I went to pick up my 4th New Samsung 46F8 today. And ended up with my fifth instead.

The first 3 were all faulty.

The first one had a picture fault causing purple noise and shooting lines across the screen.

The Second died within a couple of minutes of first being turned on (DoA)

The third had a manufacturing fault in the front of fascia

This time I inspected the TV and insisted on it being setup to view.

This one had a picture fault where every 5th line or so would randomly jump to the left or right by about 5 pixels. The effect was to make writing and OSDs seem to be hairy.

Sigh.

Luckily there was another unopened 46F8 in the store. And after I finally convinced the store guys that the fault couldn't be fixed by playing with the tuning (i did suggest a firmware upgrade might fix it... but I doubt it.) the fifth set was wheeled out and setup.

The good news is there were no obvious picture problems (to quote the store manager "yes, the picture certainly does look much more stable" and no defects in the fascia.

The set is now at home... and finally... all is well.

I was offered a swap to a bravia after the 2nd faulty unit... but the picture just does not compare with the F8 when its working.

I think if this one hadn't of worked I would've insisted on being swapped over to an A-series, or whatever is coming next.

what a saga!

in the end I paid $2790 on the 30/3, had to go through 5 units, lug the damn thing around 8 or so times and it took a month. But I think i'm now going to forget the hardship and enjoy it :)

I did enjoy #3 for 2 weeks with its perfect picture.

Next step, convince samsung to give me my cashback.

well i'll be honest.. but i did a test on these settings while just watching ten hd..

tried my best to find a difference with edge enhancement off and on.. it didn't make any difference on my eyes atleast..

so im not really sure what edge enhancement actually does !

Hey Rocean

Do you aor anyone else iwth an F81.....see sny significant pixelation with the TV ?

Is it more obvious on SD instead of HD ?

And do you find ithappens with some channels more than others ?????

went to myer in parramatta and he offer 2180 straight off the bat and - 150 from samsung

Hi guys Just wanted to find out what price you guys have got the F840 for? the best i have done is $2290.

And what are your experences with them so far.

Are they worth the extra $$$ of the M8.

I am in a bit of a pickle and was hoping for some advice. In mid Feb I ordered the f81 52inch tv and was told it would be mid april before I could expect delivery. Mid April came and I was informed that Samsung had given all their stock of the 52" tv's to Harvey Normans and would not be restocking as they were going to bring in the new model in Mid June. This was apparently due to so many failures that Samsung wanted one point of call ( so to speak ). Now, I know I can cancel my deposit and pick up one of the TVs from Harvey Norman for the same price ( $4400 ), but the guys who I ordered from have told me that will be able to do the new model at the same price, and have guaranteed that will get me the cash back also ( and I would prefer to buy from them as they have given great service - apart from being shafted by Samsung ). What is the general feeling for what I should do ? Any advice welcome