Sign in to follow this  
skouta

New Samsung F81 Series

I'm having a bit of trouble with my PlayStation 2 and F81. I have it hooked up via component and have no problems with PS2 games. However, PS1 games are giving me a "unsupported resolution" error from the TV.

If somebody has the same setup, can they please test a PlayStation 1 game? Much appreciated.

Jeff

Its not to say theyre off the hook, hell, its been 48 days since i bought my TV and im yet ot receive it. In any case, i await but im not losing sleep over it..

Hi Padre! How long would you wait before you lost any sleep? I've been waiting for 91 days just to experience this problematic(?) TV! I reckon I deserve an upgrade to a 40 incher!!! :(

HDROCKS - I'm a bit confused by this.

Just to clarify - 1013 is a fix for some frame rate issues. 1013 includes the adjustments made to Motion Plus in 1012. You do not need Motion Plus "ON" to avoid the Frame rate issue - they were seperate things - but both are included in 1013.

I fail to see where we are going in circles?

Kindly tell me how anyone can get the fix for the frame rate issue without getting the motion plus upgrade.

In other words keep 1008 and upgrade for frame rate equals NO.

There might be many people who are quite happy with M Plus the way it was and who just wish for frame rate fix.

HDROCKS. :wub:

Just watched Bluray on 46F81.

Is it just me think that the Motion Plus effect only when its set on high?

hardly notice any difference when set to low or medium.

Hi Padre! How long would you wait before you lost any sleep? I've been waiting for 91 days just to experience this problematic(?) TV! I reckon I deserve an upgrade to a 40 incher!!! :(

id be busting afew heads and making a right nusance of myself. Frankly teh longer you wait for your main purchase teh longer you wait for the bonus. By the time you get it theyd have depreciated considerably. Hell the 32' inch samsung is now hitting shelves at under a grand.. the 26' rrp is 1100 or so..

shelf price for teh 26 is now around the 700 mark.. so they have indeed decreased in value..

Good luck with insuring your goods when the goods you buy aretn worth as much as u actually paid...

This is MY concern above everything else, as i dont want a screen that is going to be over $800 cheaper by the time i actually have it in my posession.. as far as im concerned, no bonus TV is worth that kind of depreciation unless the bonus in itself carries that same value to offset depreciation.

Frankly Im appaled they sold the TV without advising that there were none in stock. Im also pissed that they promised Late Feb/March and im still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Over 90days, and i'd be rightly ropable and i WOULD be demanding a 40incher.. but then i'd also consider how much was paid for the initial purchase as these retail for under 4k, with a street price of 3400 and a haggle price of 2800 to 3k...

The lower i paid, the less i'd expect as a bonus.

Edited by Padre

Hey guys. I am the person in the SMH article that was published on monday.

Let me clear up a few things.

The email that I sent to SMH was sent on the 28th of February, which is back when we weren't seeing any action from Samsung and weren't hearing any news.

I have since received my F81 and I am very happy with my purchase. The F81 is an outstanding LCD with many, many features and options. And at a much more affordable price than other LCD's that are similar in quality to the F81 namely the Bravia X/XBR.

However, I still strongly believe that Motion Plus is an issue with this TV. And if Samsung are going to sell a product, and promote specific features so heavily i.e. Motion Plus, then IMO those features should work as advertised. They can say that viewing Motion Plus is a subjective matter, but it does not change the fact that while viewing HDDVD's or Blu-rays that there are Motion Plus problems. And the image judder is as clear as day. It didn't matter what setting you had it on.

I have downloaded firmware 1013 and can tell you that from my experience and testing, that on HDDVD's there is still image judder on high, medium and low Motion Plus settings. And I tested the same scene several times on all Motion Plus settings with the same result. I also tested the same scene several times with Motion Plus off, and there was no noticeble judder.

The judder does seem to be an improvement from previous firmwares, which is encouraging.

Hopefully the SMH article informed some of the people out there with F81 problems that aren't on these forums and helped them out. Because for me, the biggest issue out of this is the lack of information available to the public that Samsung has released. If from the start they would of said that they realise that there are Motion Plus issues and that they are working on them, I'm sure many of us wouldn't have made anywhere near as big of deal out of this.

I'm glad that Samsung are finally doing something about the problems that so many of us feel are important. Because if they can fix the Motion Plus problem (Which from what I've seen, doesnt' really affect FTA broadcasts) they can make a great TV even better.

And please contact the SMH troubleshooter and let them know what you think about the new firmware and the Motion Plus issue, because I am just one person with one opinion. And Nick Galvin from the troubleshooter has kept up with developments concerning the Motion Plus issue. So much so that he sent me an email yesterday letting me know about the availability of the 1013 firmware, before I had a chance to log onto the DTV Forums and see lioannou's post. So he hasn't just written the story and forgotten about it.

Also thanks again to lioannou for the new firmware link.

Edited by Machvayne

My Take...

Now I had the "wave" issue but to remind everyone Samsung had a firmware upgrade available within a couple of weeks of my end of November purchase.

Samsung now have a firmware upgrade for Motion Plus and Judder problems (within 4 months of my purchase).

I obviously understand everyone's frustration with Stock Supply issues and the Free LCD Promotion supply issues. But this is beacuase of the huge take up of this great LCD, better than the Sony IMO and check the Sony forums they have their own issues with their LCD.

The beauty of this new technology is that firmware can be upgraded and rectify issues or just make other overall improvements. Guess what...this is what is happening, Samsung are listening and are providing firmware fixes.

I have stated previously that writing on these forums about the probelms people have had with these sets is fine but you also need to ensure you contact Samsung so they can log the problems, send a tech out if needed and then work on a solution quickly. In all honesty I don't think enough people have contacted Samsung directly as they are waiting for someone else to do it, well if more people contacted them and logged the problems then we might get solutions quicker...

So, should Samsung have released a set with problems...NO!! Should Samsung rectify the problems with the sets...YES!! and that is what they are doing so Samsung thanks.

That's my take.

skouta.

Kindly tell me how anyone can get the fix for the frame rate issue without getting the motion plus upgrade.

In other words keep 1008 and upgrade for frame rate equals NO.

There might be many people who are quite happy with M Plus the way it was and who just wish for frame rate fix.

Hi HDROCKS - sorry - like I said, I didnt quite understand what you were asking. Now it makes sense to me.

Dont know the answer to your question but. Perhaps give Samsung Tech a call?

Just watched Bluray on 46F81.

Is it just me think that the Motion Plus effect only when its set on high?

hardly notice any difference when set to low or medium.

Hi Tweigh.

HIGH is "very HIGH".

For blueray, the best results are with the LOW setting.

Your right about not seeing much - but there is a difference. To really appreciate the difference you really need two TVs setup side by side, one on LOW, and the other on OFF.

I think part of it comes from the fact Blueray is very detailed, so there is not much to 'fix' with Motion Plus? Dunno..

I must admit when motion plus was working properly on 1009 it looked far more brilliant, but only worked properly 15-20% of the time. Even though it doesn't look quite as good on 1013, it works 100% of the time.

With the old firmware things would look so clear it would almost look 3D and jumping out at me. With the new firmware it just seems to make things a tiny bit smoother and nothing else.

I think if there is a 1014 I will revert to 1009 before upgrading so I don't lose that firmware and still have it as a backup.

Edited by Sicarius123

Hey guys. I am the person in the SMH article that was published on monday.

Let me clear up a few things.

The email that I sent to SMH was sent on the 28th of February, which is back when we weren't seeing any action from Samsung and weren't hearing any news.

Hi Machvayne, thanks for posting.

My thanks to you for taking the initiative to contact SMH. Like I said, it was just unforunate that SMH posted the article when a fix was been released. I assumed that what you said (contacted SMH a few weeks earlier) was the case - so it is just one of those things.

Regardless - it still puts some more pressure on Samsung to make sure the issue is 100% corrected, so that is good.

With the HDDVD issue - do you have Blueray aswell, if so does it happen on that? Just curious.

i know the motion plus differences between the 1009 and the 1012 are quite significant, and that it doesn't look like as if motion plus settings are ON..

but im quite happy with the results of the motion plus now. i have no problems of lagging and i for sure can see a difference when i switch it from off to medium just watching regular FTA.

personally, im not going to complain anymore about the motion plus and i think it works really well now.

about 1013 now, we have Machvayne who says he still experiences judder when he watches a HD DVD with motion plus on in all 3 forms, low med and high...

so does anyone else face this problem? i dont have a blu or a hd dvd player... so if anyone else could test this out.. it would be great! since 1013 is supposed to remove the judder !

Hi, every1

Anyone still waiting for delivery of 46" F81?

I've fully paid back in 12/02 and still waiting for 46", just called JB Hifi and they saying because of all these delay, Samsung will upgrade free 26" TV to 32"

Any trues on this?

Just got off the phone from the promotions dept and was told that after 9 weeks of waiting they need the reciept to the faxed to them again as the first company up and left leaving no info. I asked about the 32" upgrade, she told me that only those who had received an e-mail would get them, asking how to qualify for this no answer was given and to top it off they didn't have my e-mail address on the system even thou I had been sent 2 e-mails confirming the promo LCD.

My Take...

Now I had the "wave" issue but to remind everyone Samsung had a firmware upgrade available within a couple of weeks of my end of November purchase.

Samsung now have a firmware upgrade for Motion Plus and Judder problems (within 4 months of my purchase).

I obviously understand everyone's frustration with Stock Supply issues and the Free LCD Promotion supply issues. But this is beacuase of the huge take up of this great LCD, better than the Sony IMO and check the Sony forums they have their own issues with their LCD.

The beauty of this new technology is that firmware can be upgraded and rectify issues or just make other overall improvements. Guess what...this is what is happening, Samsung are listening and are providing firmware fixes.

I have stated previously that writing on these forums about the probelms people have had with these sets is fine but you also need to ensure you contact Samsung so they can log the problems, send a tech out if needed and then work on a solution quickly. In all honesty I don't think enough people have contacted Samsung directly as they are waiting for someone else to do it, well if more people contacted them and logged the problems then we might get solutions quicker...

So, should Samsung have released a set with problems...NO!! Should Samsung rectify the problems with the sets...YES!! and that is what they are doing so Samsung thanks.

That's my take.

skouta.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will go further, the vigilantism stirred up by some was quite laughable, suggesting complaining to media etc etc before ANYONE had samsung look at their sets to confirm the flaw. I think some here with too much time on their hands quite enjoyed the attention of taking it to the man and will need to look elsewhere now to grind their grist.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will go further, the vigilantism stirred up by some was quite laughable, suggesting complaining to media etc etc before ANYONE had samsung look at their sets to confirm the flaw. I think some here with too much time on their hands quite enjoyed the attention of taking it to the man and will need to look elsewhere now to grind their grist.

100% with you.

id be busting afew heads and making a right nusance of myself. Frankly teh longer you wait for your main purchase teh longer you wait for the bonus. By the time you get it theyd have depreciated considerably. Hell the 32' inch samsung is now hitting shelves at under a grand.. the 26' rrp is 1100 or so..

shelf price for teh 26 is now around the 700 mark.. so they have indeed decreased in value..

Good luck with insuring your goods when the goods you buy aretn worth as much as u actually paid...

This is MY concern above everything else, as i dont want a screen that is going to be over $800 cheaper by the time i actually have it in my posession.. as far as im concerned, no bonus TV is worth that kind of depreciation unless the bonus in itself carries that same value to offset depreciation.

Frankly Im appaled they sold the TV without advising that there were none in stock. Im also pissed that they promised Late Feb/March and im still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Over 90days, and i'd be rightly ropable and i WOULD be demanding a 40incher.. but then i'd also consider how much was paid for the initial purchase as these retail for under 4k, with a street price of 3400 and a haggle price of 2800 to 3k...

Hi Padre, are you saying you bought a 32" TV from a retailer - and havent received it yet? Or are you still waiting on a 46" inch?

edit: or are you referring to the freebie?

Just want to clarify.

Edited by lioannou

Hi F8L8TE - can you please confirm what TV you are waiting on (the inital TV, or the freebie), and what size TV you bought?

Thanks.

Just got off the phone from the promotions dept and was told that after 9 weeks of waiting they need the reciept to the faxed to them again as the first company up and left leaving no info. I asked about the 32" upgrade, she told me that only those who had received an e-mail would get them, asking how to qualify for this no answer was given and to top it off they didn't have my e-mail address on the system even thou I had been sent 2 e-mails confirming the promo LCD.

Hi choicebro - that's just not good enough - it seems you've done everything right only to now find you have to start all over again - appalling - I hope you've kept those 2 emails from Samsung Promotions because my advice is to forward a copy of that email to this new company handling the Promotion and say "Here is the proof that I was on the system with that previous company handling the promotion" and that hopefully should qualify you for the 32" free TV (seeing that's what the new company now seems to be offering those who have waited longer than the sepcified time frame). Also, you should insist they backdate the waiting period rather than place you at the end of the queue which probably will happen seeing that you now have to send them your receipt etc again (unless you insist on being backdated after you supply that proof to them).

I advise you to perhaps ring them first and see if you can get the personal email address of someone there and ask if you can send your email to them so they know what it's all about and can try to expedite the matter. This approach worked for me but then that was with the previous company handling the Promotion. Hope this helps.

Edited by powerman1

I'm having a bit of trouble with my PlayStation 2 and F81. I have it hooked up via component and have no problems with PS2 games. However, PS1 games are giving me a "unsupported resolution" error from the TV.

If somebody has the same setup, can they please test a PlayStation 1 game? Much appreciated.

Jeff

Anyone? It will really help me out.

Jeff

Anyone? It will really help me out.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I dont own a Playstation. But some things to try/answer:

1. Can you try a different connection type besides component? i.e. s-Video?

2. Is the TV on 'Game Mode'? If so/not try the opposite

3. Do you have another TV you can check if the playstation 1 games actaully work on the playstation 2?

i received the email thismorning from promotions, advising i have been upgraded from 26" to 32". I registered on 14 Jan. I think they might be doing this for all people who bought before the offer was extended (and the terms/conditions changed)

choicebro - if you dont have an email from them, then id ring up again and push for the upgrade

omg i just recieved a email that im getting a upgrade to the 32".. i know this is the wrong thread but i only waited 2 months for my F81, and only sent my serial number 2 weeks ago...

guys like powerman had waited much longer than me, he should have received the upgrade aswell

Edited by Psygnosis

Oh crap.... well I tried to install the 1013 frimware again, and now the TV is just a black screen and you can hear it trying to turn itself on... :wacko:

Hey cool....just received an email upgrading my 26" to a 32". Apparently being dispatched next week. Have read this thread for a couple of weeks now. Thanks to all for the info. My 46F8 has had no dramas at all since it arrived about a month ago (touch wood...) although can see the improvement with the firmware upgrades on both motion plus and on the blu-ray (Sammy BD-P1400). Love it!

G'day all! Well Padre I guess I'm owed at least a 40" Freebie 'cause I paid close to top dollar - $3500 including delivery to Goondiwindi (around 400kms).

I actually rang Samsung promotions today & put it to them to see if I could also get upgraded to a 32" LCD seeing as how I've had to wait so long. I didn't think it'd do any good, but no harm trying! I think the Promotion team are probably doing the best they can. They are NOT Samsung & if Samsung cannot keep up the supply of bonus TVs to them, then that is Samsungs' fault! Apparently the reason for the upgrade to 32" is because they ran out of 26" TVs. I remember this also happening earlier on. I suppose by the time we get our F8's the 26" will be back in stock! As they say timing is everything, but it just aint fair! :(