Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

My f81 has now started the clicking thing when started still under warranty can easily fix it myself,two hours work compared to who knows how long for warranty repair.I would go warranty if i would get a replacement LED tv,has anyone recently had the clicking problem and had there tv replaced with a new LED tv.

I doubt that you will get a new tv when all they have to do is replace 4 capacitors,my set was just done and was a relatively painless.

Well the technician assessed my TV and said it needed a new motherboard as diagnosed by Impakt. The cost would be ~$700 for a reconditioned one and would only come with a 3 month warranty.

The TV is nearly 6 years old and contains the original lamp (estimated ~6,000 hours use ie. 20 hours/week x 52 weeks x 6 years) he indicated that when this goes it would cost ~$400 to replace.

Hence I decided it was not worth repairing the TV - I ended up purchasing a Hisense 55" LCD for $2,500 with a 5 year warranty. I know it is not the best brand out there but I am more than happy with the picture quality / warranty and that is what is important. The picture quality is also far superior than the Sammy which I was very happy with.

I am sad to see the Sammy replaced and if anybody is interested in making an offer for it please PM me - I am located in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

Mick

Edited by mickrob

I came across this forum so I thought I would add my experience.

I had a 61'' SAMSUNG DLP which never gave me any problems till it was 3 1/2 years old.

Had problems turning it on back on after it had been on for a while. Started off taking 5 minutes to restart; then up to hours in the end.

I had extended warranty thru HN so I put it in to get fixed. Took 3 weeks for the tech to even look at it, then he said the part had to come from Korea

and could take a few weeks. After 3 months we rung Samsung our selves to chase up part, which they said was no longer available. This was the Optic engine.

Anyhow it was going to cost $1700 to fix the tv if the part was available. The tv cost $5000 when new, so Samsung with the extended warranty people offered me a replacement 50''

plasma or if I kicked in $650 they would give me a new 58''plasma.

I took the 58'' option which I am expecting to arrive today or tomorrow. Not a bad outcome overall I think, and I had no problems dealing with Samsung or the extended warranty people they were all very helpful.

My problem was the lameass repair tech who is a wanker.

Hi Ozzman,

Iv`e had my 61 inch Samsung DLP 4 and half years now and after the first 14 months it started turning itself off without being commanded ,subsequently it was repaired on extended HN warranty, now in the last week its started the exact same problem again, just randomly turning off after approximately 3 to 4 hours of operation, but it can be turned on again after a couple of hours off or if powered off overnight.

If what you say is correct about some Samsing parts not being available now then maybe my repairer will not be able to obtain the necessary parts to fix mine?

Can you tell me what did the HN extended warranty people tell you they were offering you, was exactly as you described above? :(

Guest patchie
I put my TV in under warranty 4 weeks ago and the company still has not even looked at my TV yet!.

My TV has been faultless for since I bought it but the clicking and slow start as described started about 2 weeks ago. I will be rining on Monday morning for a warranty service....Keep you posted re progress..

RG

We have had our 46" F81 since early 2008 and like a few of you have posted, we have been experiencing the same clicking and slow start up, as described by Rocean, for about a week or so now. And every day it seems it's taking that little bit longer to come on...

Have any of you contacted Samsung and what has been your experience? Does anyone know what warranty came with these TV's? I have the receipt but it doesn't say. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

We have had our 46" F81 since early 2008 and like a few of you have posted, we have been experiencing the same clicking and slow start up, as described by Rocean, for about a week or so now. And every day it seems it's taking that little bit longer to come on...

Have any of you contacted Samsung and what has been your experience? Does anyone know what warranty came with these TV's? I have the receipt but it doesn't say. Any advice would be appreciated. Thx

You have no problems,it is a full 3 years.

I doubt that you will get a new tv when all they have to do is replace 4 capacitors,my set was just done and was a relatively painless.

Only had to replace two 2200uf caps the two 10v 1000uf caps were already replaced from factory with 25 volt caps.There was one 10 volt cap that was not changed from factory it was not damaged but i changed it to 25 volts anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ozzman,

Iv`e had my 61 inch Samsung DLP 4 and half years now and after the first 14 months it started turning itself off without being commanded ,subsequently it was repaired on extended HN warranty, now in the last week its started the exact same problem again, just randomly turning off after approximately 3 to 4 hours of operation, but it can be turned on again after a couple of hours off or if powered off overnight.

If what you say is correct about some Samsing parts not being available now then maybe my repairer will not be able to obtain the necessary parts to fix mine?

Can you tell me what did the HN extended warranty people tell you they were offering you, was exactly as you described above? :(

Well its almost a month since the Tech took it away and not a word from them as to whats wrong with it, I am presently using our other TV a Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD, nice picture but sooooh small after the 61 inch Sammy.Ill give them a call tomorrow and if its not ready soon Im back to the warranty people to complain, then if I get stuffed around there its onto Consumer Affairs or fair trading.

According to Choice Mag we have a claim anyway in the Statutes for non merchantable quality, 4 to 5 years is not considered fair usage. <_<

Well its almost a month since the Tech took it away and not a word from them as to whats wrong with it, I am presently using our other TV a Sony Bravia 40 inch LCD, nice picture but sooooh small after the 61 inch Sammy.Ill give them a call tomorrow and if its not ready soon Im back to the warranty people to complain, then if I get stuffed around there its onto Consumer Affairs or fair trading.

According to Choice Mag we have a claim anyway in the Statutes for non merchantable quality, 4 to 5 years is not considered fair usage. <_<

Got it back today, the tech guy found no fault so I had to find $150 for his trouble ( No fault clause in the HN Ext Warranty),he said he checked it over the last 4 weeks and could not replicate the problem (interesting the Winter Olympics were on) he said he tried blowing hot air and then cold air on it but it never faltered in operation, he said he then cleaned any dust out and packed up. Had it on for the last 8 hours, no shut downs or anything, what can you say? Oh well !! -_-

• 1 month later...
Some of the online retailers are saying it will be available in May, so if this is true that's when it will start showing up in bricks and mortar retailers as well.

Some information from a US based forum on the 7000 and 8000 series (there seems to be indications that the AU 7000 is basically the same as the US 8000)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....821&page=30

Prices have been seen to be as low as $3300 for the 63" Plasma already! http://shop.gameon.net.au/p/1103629/samsun...---due-may.html

Not bad at all :)

So in total you get 6 glasses (2 in the starter pack and 2 with the bluray player and 2 with the TV), plus a free 3D Blu-Ray player.

would have to be the bargain purchase atm.

Deducting $550 for retail price of player and BR then you get a 63inch plasma $2750 (plus the added bonus of a 3dtv plus onboard PVR.)which is a huge saving (half the price) on the current 65v10 Pana which is around $5500 with no bonuses.

Edited by CC Rider

Prices have been seen to be as low as $3300 for the 63" Plasma already! http://shop.gameon.net.au/p/1103629/samsun...---due-may.html

Not bad at all :)

So in total you get 6 glasses (2 in the starter pack and 2 with the bluray player and 2 with the TV), plus a free 3D Blu-Ray player.

Do you get 2 sets of glasses with the TV?

I thought it was 2 with the starter pack and another 2 with the promo BD player giving a total of 4 sets.

would have to be the bargain purchase atm.

Deducting $550 for retail price of player and BR then you get a 63inch plasma $2750 (plus the added bonus of a 3dtv plus onboard PVR.)which is a huge saving (half the price) on the current 65v10 Pana which is around $5500 with no bonuses.

Definitely a bargain, and if you factor in the cost of the glasses it's even better.

I was waiting for the C8000 LED backlit LCD to come out so that I could decide between the C7000 and the C8000 LED/LCDs, but with the prices of the 58" and 63" C7000 plasmas I am seriously considering one of them instead.

I'd be interested in knowing what the power consumption and weight of the C7000 plasmas is like, as I'm considering the 58" or 63".

I know they'll be worse than the LED backlit LCDs but it would be good to know how much the differences are.

Currently the energy consumption and weight info is just TBD for the 58" and 63" on the AU website, and the US website only shows 50" plasmas.

I'd be interested in knowing what the power consumption and weight of the C7000 plasmas is like, as I'm considering the 58" or 63".

I know they'll be worse than the LED backlit LCDs but it would be good to know how much the differences are.

Currently the energy consumption and weight info is just TBD for the 58" and 63" on the AU website, and the US website only shows 50" plasmas.

I have read that if your buying a TV for the 3d feature plasma is the way to go.

I have read that if your buying a TV for the 3d feature plasma is the way to go.

Yep, I've read the same.

But to be honest I can't see us watching a lot of 3D.

It sounds promising, and the 2D-3D conversion of FTA material could add a bit to the experience, but the hassle of having to watch with glasses, and the potential health issues which are being flagged now will mean that we'll probably use it occasionally - maybe 30% of the time.

That said, the price difference is just too much to ignore.

Yes, the LED backlit LCD will use far less energy, but how many lifetimes would you need to run the TV to make up for the 1000s of dollars price difference?

Yep, I've read the same.

But to be honest I can't see us watching a lot of 3D.

It sounds promising, and the 2D-3D conversion of FTA material could add a bit to the experience, but the hassle of having to watch with glasses, and the potential health issues which are being flagged now will mean that we'll probably use it occasionally - maybe 30% of the time.

That said, the price difference is just too much to ignore.

Yes, the LED backlit LCD will use far less energy, but how many lifetimes would you need to run the TV to make up for the 1000s of dollars price difference?

But does anyone have a clue as to when they will be out, or even in the shops to view?

Ive decided to cancel my 55" LED and move my deposit over to the plasma.