Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Actually, given the high estimates (in this forum) of the newer Samsung A550's, I was thinking of getting an F8 soon;

Reasons being (could just be me wanting/justifying a tv now :P) the cashback and run out pricing on the F8 would give me an (albeit older) top-of-the-line F8 for at the very least $500 less ($2300 vs best-case-for-an-A550, $2800), than the newer base model A550

Note: Though yes, I know spec-wise that the A550 is supposedly superior (although according to reviews (CNet) PQ on this isn't supposedly that great))

true.. i have actually been offered $2100 for the F8 from a few places (albeit some sales guys not even touching that price!) so if you can haggle more, go for it.

the A550 - i have no idea how much that will cost, but i manged to find a link on 6 series aus prices at gizmodo:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/05/samsungs..._australia.html

i'm trying to haggle with these prices but maybe its not the best time to do that yet, since its not even in the stores yet! haggling down to $2600 for the 40" 650 - am i getting outta hand with that price? haha ;)

VenomX2 - yeah I'm deciding between which set to get: newer or older series. Initially i was going to stick to the F8, since i figured it'll drop in price, but i'm considering the 650 instead if its not too expensive :)

Hi Guys,

I'm tossing up between the Sony Bravia X series 40 inch, the Samsung F8 series 40 inch and the newest generation Samsung 40 inch.

As far as I know, the Bravia X and F8 are pretty much the same, except I'm not 100% sure if the Samsung can do 24p.

My budget would be at max $3000.

Any tips/suggestions?

Hi Guys,

I'm tossing up between the Sony Bravia X series 40 inch, the Samsung F8 series 40 inch and the newest generation Samsung 40 inch.

As far as I know, the Bravia X and F8 are pretty much the same, except I'm not 100% sure if the Samsung can do 24p.

My budget would be at max $3000.

Any tips/suggestions?

Doyvid, Samsung can do 24p, I read this in one of the threads on this site. Good to see you are going either Sony or Samsung, they r the pick of the bunch. 3 grand should well and truly get you a 40 inch, for the F8 they seem to be only a smidge above 2 grand. Considering new model Sammy's r out in weeks, would it be diligent to hold off a decision for a few weeks? Up to you, I really think whichever TV u like best is a good option.

Liamh80.

true.. i have actually been offered $2100 for the F8 from a few places (albeit some sales guys not even touching that price!) so if you can haggle more, go for it.

the A550 - i have no idea how much that will cost, but i manged to find a link on 6 series aus prices at gizmodo:

i'm trying to haggle with these prices but maybe its not the best time to do that yet, since its not even in the stores yet! haggling down to $2600 for the 40" 650 - am i getting outta hand with that price? haha ;)

VenomX2 - yeah I'm deciding between which set to get: newer or older series. Initially i was going to stick to the F8, since i figured it'll drop in price, but i'm considering the 650 instead if its not too expensive :)

That 6 series looks awesome, and not much more expensive than the Sony XBR.

Obviously not going to be much room for haggling with the new model for a while though.

Doyvid, Samsung can do 24p, I read this in one of the threads on this site. Good to see you are going either Sony or Samsung, they r the pick of the bunch. 3 grand should well and truly get you a 40 inch, for the F8 they seem to be only a smidge above 2 grand. Considering new model Sammy's r out in weeks, would it be diligent to hold off a decision for a few weeks? Up to you, I really think whichever TV u like best is a good option.

Liamh80.

Also, should be a cashback offer on the F8 thru Samsung Promotions up until end of May I believe.

Just an update on the Settings resetting themselves. It hasn't happened since the other day when it happened several times in one movie. I haven't changed anything, didn't even get a chance to do plug and play again, and yet it hasn't happened again. I don't know whether it will happen again or not? I guess only time will tell.

I will say this, it was very strange to have no problems at all for months, then have this happen, come on here to find out if anyone knew anything about it, and finding someone that had the same problem around the same time.

Jack Slater, any update? Is it still happening?

Hey Machvayne, very wierd and strange with me also, after yesterday it just stopped changing back to default settings and everythings fine, starting to think our tvs are playing tricks on us lol

All good, just hope it does not come back.

Cheers

interesting... the prices are similar to the RRPs when the F8 was out.. so for those whose budget is not that high.. probably the best time to buy an F8 LCD ...

the F8 has had most of its problems solved.. so it again is a good time to buy it.. hopefully the newer TVs don't bring along any problems with it...

would be interested in a second TV from the new tv's though.. maybe a 32 incher or something..

Liamh80.

Thanks for the info, Liamh80. I'm definitely waiting a few weeks... until I get my tax return, that is :D .

So specifications-wise, there isn't much difference between the two TV's... It's mostly just where they're made and the brand, right?

Just got my 450$ cashback cheque yesterday :)))

So since I got my Bluray player for 525$ its almost like getting it for free ;)

Re: getting the sony, the samsung or the new samsung.

My personal opinion is the samsungs are better than the sony. BUT i have not seen the new ones.

If you are price sensitive, then go for the current f8, with the best price you can find... remember get it before the 1st of June and you get cashback. Get a second screen or a player or something and get even more cash back... and you have a few extra weeks to get the second purchases I believe.

OR if you don't care about the price so much, then the new ones are probably better... mmm the red tint would've gone so well in my living room... but I could not have waiting 2-3 extra months! and I couldn't have justified the extra 1000$ or whatever the price premium for a 46" would've been

Edited by Stux

Hi Folks,

I have a Samsung PS42Q91HDX. This is my second unit. The first one was returned because of a faulty internal DSTB, and really bad motion blur for motorsports. So I got my replacement after waiting for the stock to come in. The internal DSTB works a treat now. But when the bikes are on (World Superbikes on Foxtel, MotoGP on Foxtel/Channel 10 HD), the V8 Supercars (Channel 7/7 HD) and Formula 1 (Channel 10/10HD), the motion blur is hideous, to the point of becoming really annoying. I have tried all the different modes, MoviePlus on/off, DNiE on/off, edge enhancer, sharpness etc., etc., Nothing will get rid of it. Even the fast rotation of the footy while watching AFL causes a shimmer (but not as bad as the bikes). This has happened on two brand new panels. I would like to know if other owners of the Q91/C91-series have experienced this, and what their solution was. Mine looks like getting a refund and putting it towards a new Panasonic TH-42PX80A (the Pana = 100Hz, the Sammy = 50Hz).

Hey Markus. While no expert, I'm in the process of taking samsung to VCAT over another of their tv products, so I've done some reasearch & have some news for you. Stick with the Panasonic! Apparently the Q9 has had multiple failures as yours has. Supposedly the P9 is better, but go with the Pany!

Any advice guys?

Hey Res. Call a few of your local repairers & ask them. Some people who own one will swear by them, most people, especially those who have to repair them, will give you another story............

If you can get a Panasonic for a bit more, DO IT !!

can someone tell me what bluray is like on a 46" F81 in terms of PQ compared to FTA HD channels?

yet to get a bluray player and would like to know if there is a big difference. FTA HD channels seem to be a bit of hit and miss with PQ

Do people think the F81s are likely to continue dropping in price after May 31? I mean, is it worth rushing in to buy it now with the cashback, or will further price drops after June 1st offset the cashback anyway?

Couldn't say, but Myer in Adelaide had the F81 advertised for $2320 BEFORE cashback, much to the surprise of the staff there (and the staff at Harvey Norman!)... the guy I was talking to at Myer thinks their marketing department might have put the special out a bit early accidentally (keeping the cost of the F81 the same after cashback ends)...

Meanwhile Harvey Norman are going to match that price, but their extended warranty is much cheaper, so I'm going to buy one today.

-Nick

"Supposedly the P9 is better" sorry but that's not the case. My father-in-law has the 50"P9 and I have the 50" Q9. He is never happy when he comes over and sees mine and I can concur with him. Early Q9's may have had some issues but the one I bought in Oct 07 has never missed a beat and is truly great picture imo.

Thats an awesome price if it is the 46".

Where might I find this ad?? Might have to take it into a store here in Vic. Can you post a copy or link me to it?

Great price indeed! Ditto with Chicken..can you post this up or link up a copy of the invoice?

Thanks in advance

Whoops, sorry to get your hopes up guys, it's the 40". No advertisement that I could see, just the tags instore.

Seems to be a pretty good price for Adelaide, I've been scoping it out for a couple of weeks now, and that's about as low as I'm going to get.

HN had it ticketed at $2899!!

-Nick

interesting... the prices are similar to the RRPs when the F8 was out.. so for those whose budget is not that high.. probably the best time to buy an F8 LCD ...

the F8 has had most of its problems solved.. so it again is a good time to buy it.. hopefully the newer TVs don't bring along any problems with it...

would be interested in a second TV from the new tv's though.. maybe a 32 incher or something..

yeah true.. but the new 650 has a 4ms response time, is newer, and so far sounds fantastic. its been getting very favourable reviews online (that is, the american version of this tv). i cant remember if i've given this link before, but here it is anyways:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-32887597.html

i managed to get a price from myer for the samsung 40" A650 - $2799. available mid/late june. what do you guys think of that price? i posted this info on another thread as well:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1072877

can someone tell me what bluray is like on a 46" F81 in terms of PQ compared to FTA HD channels?

yet to get a bluray player and would like to know if there is a big difference. FTA HD channels seem to be a bit of hit and miss with PQ

a good bluray is flawless

yeah true.. but the new 650 has a 4ms response time, is newer, and so far sounds fantastic. its been getting very favourable reviews online (that is, the american version of this tv). i cant remember if i've given this link before, but here it is anyways:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sam...7-32887597.html

i managed to get a price from myer for the samsung 40" A650 - $2799. available mid/late june. what do you guys think of that price? i posted this info on another thread as well:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1072877

I think that $2800 for a TV that at retail prices in US/UK sells for the AUD exchange equivalent of $1600, we are getting mighty ripped off by the local Samsung distributor, and or retailer! :)

Couldn't say, but Myer in Adelaide had the F81 advertised for $2320 BEFORE cashback, much to the surprise of the staff there (and the staff at Harvey Norman!)... the guy I was talking to at Myer thinks their marketing department might have put the special out a bit early accidentally (keeping the cost of the F81 the same after cashback ends)...

Meanwhile Harvey Norman are going to match that price, but their extended warranty is much cheaper, so I'm going to buy one today.

Whoops, sorry to get your hopes up guys, it's the 40". No advertisement that I could see, just the tags instore.

Seems to be a pretty good price for Adelaide, I've been scoping it out for a couple of weeks now, and that's about as low as I'm going to get.

HN had it ticketed at $2899!!

Just went to Good Guys, best they could do was $2299, and $200 for another 2 years warranty. Don't have stock til Tuesday though, but the guy there was nicer than the guy at Harvey Norman, and I couldn't be naffed driving back to HN's, so we bought it.

Can't wait for that phone call on Tuesday to come get it :D

-Nick

Just took delivery of my 46" F81. Looking good so far, but I've got a problem getting the a full screen image from my HTPC via DVI -> HDMI (M2A-VM HDMI mobo).

No matter what size output I use from the HTPC, I'm getting a border of black around my image. The image is almost the size of the screen if I choose size=16:9, smaller if I choose "just scan". There's no overscan - I've got the whole windows toolbar etc.

It's clearly scaling the image somewhere in the chain, I'm getting the classic uneven text in windows no matter what PC resolution I choose.

Any suggestions what settings I can use on either the TV or the PC to fix this?

Just took delivery of my 46" F81. Looking good so far, but I've got a problem getting the a full screen image from my HTPC via DVI -> HDMI (M2A-VM HDMI mobo).

No matter what size output I use from the HTPC, I'm getting a border of black around my image. The image is almost the size of the screen if I choose size=16:9, smaller if I choose "just scan". There's no overscan - I've got the whole windows toolbar etc.

It's clearly scaling the image somewhere in the chain, I'm getting the classic uneven text in windows no matter what PC resolution I choose.

Any suggestions what settings I can use on either the TV or the PC to fix this?

Download ATI Catalyst Control Center. Run and select Advanced setup. Under the pull down menu DTV, select Scaling options. Set overscan to 0% and you are all set.

HK