Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

ive been following this forum for a while, with a will i or wont i attitude to buying one of these sets. does anyone who owns one recommend it or would i be better off waiting a month or two for the release of the new sets? any feedback appreciated..

Hey, Im not sure if this question has been asked....but do some digital channels look better than others on the 52" F8 ?

(eg) TEN HD appears to be better than SBS HD.....Nine HD better than 7 HD

Is this because of their transmission content ?

The other thing we see is when the kids are watching Big Brother.....when the camera is on the compare...live....quality looks OK...but when they show a picture of one of the housemates taken prior to their entry to the hous ewith their name next to it....it appears very pixelated.....is this because of a lower resolution picutre being transmitted for the photo ?

It is surprising how the pixelation changes depending on the show and channel being watched at the time

most of the shows are anyway not even HD .. especially on channel 9.. very few shows are especially HD content (if im correct)..

some of them are also upscaled to HD...

It also depends on the source..

even if you watch planet earth on blu-ray.. which is supposed to be a 5/5 on video content.. there's a lot of parts in it which are sd quality material... so it all depends on the source...

i was watching a bit of planet earth on blu-ray today on my ps3..

when i put the ps3 on 24hz playback.. and motion plus on low.. the picture is decent with a 0.05 second judder every minute or so...

when i switched off the 24hz playback.. and motion plus still on low... the picture is fking good with no lag.. and its much much better than 24p playback...

does anyeone experience this?

isnt 24p supposed to be much better because its true resolution or something or true frequency?

Edited by Rocean

Hey guys had my F8 for a few weeks now and just recently i started having problems with the tv saving the menu settings. I changed the picture to my liking a few weeks back but in the past couple of days it went back to the default settings and whenever i change it back, it only lasts for about 15 minutes before going back to the default. Anyone had the same problem?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hey guys had my F8 for a few weeks now and just recently i started having problems with the tv saving the menu settings. I changed the picture to my liking a few weeks back but in the past couple of days it went back to the default settings and whenever i change it back, it only lasts for about 15 minutes before going back to the default. Anyone had the same problem?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Did you do the "plug and play setup" and select HOME mode rather than SHOP/DEMO? In demo mode it resets the settings

Howdy all, looking at getting a LA40F81BDX, but had heard from a couple of stores that they had a fairly high rate of faults on them... can anyone in here confirm or contradict that?

Also, has the 100hz fault/problem been rectified?

Considering the LA40F81BDX, Sony W series or the M8... can stretch the budget to the F8, but if it's a dog then might not bother.

-Nick

at 40 inches.. i would recommend the M8... except for hte contrast ratio.. there really is not much of a difference other than 100hz ... and M8 has got good reviews from many sites.. and plus... saves you lot more money...

i would also recommend you going to shops and seeing these side by side on the same material and settings.. and then see how you go...

if you are game for 46" or 52".. thats when i would recommend the F8 more than the M8..

Edited by Rocean

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hey Jack Slater, I've had my F81 for a couple months now, and have never experienced any problems with it, until the other day.

I came home and noticed that the blue light underneath the LCD was turned on, which was weird because I have it set to only on when the LCD is on. I didn't think anything of it, and changed it back to my setting and went on my merry way.

It was only last night that I was watching a movie and the settings just changed themselves for no reason to Dynamic, Motion Plus Low and the light was set to always on. I'm not sure whether these are the default factory settings, and I don't know what other setting changed. But I'm also wondering whether anyone else has had this problem, and if so, what they did about it?

I don't know why it would start happening now, when it hasn't happened at all in the last couple of months?

Edited by Machvayne

Hey Jack Slater, I've had my F81 for a couple months now, and have never experienced any problems with it, until the other day.

I came home and noticed that the blue light underneath the LCD was turned on, which was weird because I have it set to only on when the LCD is on. I didn't think anything of it, and changed it back to my setting and went on my merry way.

It was only last night that I was watching a movie and the settings just changed themselves for no reason to Dynamic, Motion Plus Low and the light was set to always on. I'm not sure whether these are the default factory settings, and I don't know what other setting changed. But I'm also wondering whether anyone else has had this problem, and if so, what they did about it?

I don't know why it would start happening now, when it has happened at all in the last couple of months?

wow.. this is quite interesting... have you probably tried to do the plug and play option and set everything back to home mode and configure all channels .. and see if this problem sitll occurs.. try calling samsung and see also what they have to say about it..

at 40 inches.. i would recommend the M8... except for hte contrast ratio.. there really is not much of a difference other than 100hz ... and M8 has got good reviews from many sites.. and plus... saves you lot more money...

i would also recommend you going to shops and seeing these side by side on the same material and settings.. and then see how you go...

if you are game for 46" or 52".. thats when i would recommend the F8 more than the M8..

Thanks, will have a closer look at the M8.

-Nick

Hi guys, me and a friend are both looking for 46" LCDs for PC/TV/movies/xbox etc. pretty much everything but a lot of games. Best price we found for the F8 was $2500 at Bing Lee. This is before the cashback offer, (the guy also said if we buy 2 he might be able to drop the price further) unfortunately we dont have the money right now, so we can't buy it yet.

Cashback offer ends at the end of may though, so im wondering if we put down a deposit now, and then pay in full in mid June when we get paid, will we still be able to claim the cashback offer?

Hi guys, me and a friend are both looking for 46" LCDs for PC/TV/movies/xbox etc. pretty much everything but a lot of games. Best price we found for the F8 was $2500 at Bing Lee. This is before the cashback offer, (the guy also said if we buy 2 he might be able to drop the price further) unfortunately we dont have the money right now, so we can't buy it yet.

Cashback offer ends at the end of may though, so im wondering if we put down a deposit now, and then pay in full in mid June when we get paid, will we still be able to claim the cashback offer?

Thats a question to ask the retailer mate...

as for the price, go for it... u wont find cheaper IMO

hey rocean... is there really not much difference between these two tvs at 40"? why is this so? most other people (not just salesguys) recommended for me to go for the F8, mainly due to my main need of ps3 gaming. you have an F8 right?

price - the best i can get the 40" F8 is $2100, which is what's listed on hdtvprices.wiki. anyone got their set for lower than that?

as for the M8, they're running out of stock really quick (prob none left already) and F8s are pretty low too.. i'm pretty much dead set on the 40" F8, as the new line of sammy's would make the price of it to go down, and they're similiarly spec'd. any advice on my plan?

thanks!

I don't know why it would start happening now, when it hasn't happened at all in the last couple of months?

Hey Machvayne, seems you and me are having the same problem. I think i might have to give samsung a call, very fustrating after thinking i was cleared of any problems when first purchased. Is there a way to reset everything on the tv?

Hey Machvayne, seems you and me are having the same problem. I think i might have to give samsung a call, very fustrating after thinking i was cleared of any problems when first purchased. Is there a way to reset everything on the tv?

You can try in the menu functions under picture at the bottom is picture reset, as the same is with sound menu. I noticed the picture settings reset after a while too, but not that I can argue with the default settings, coz I reckon the picture is pure brilliance. Very happy with the deal!

Liam.

hey rocean... is there really not much difference between these two tvs at 40"? why is this so? most other people (not just salesguys) recommended for me to go for the F8, mainly due to my main need of ps3 gaming. you have an F8 right?

price - the best i can get the 40" F8 is $2100, which is what's listed on hdtvprices.wiki. anyone got their set for lower than that?

as for the M8, they're running out of stock really quick (prob none left already) and F8s are pretty low too.. i'm pretty much dead set on the 40" F8, as the new line of sammy's would make the price of it to go down, and they're similiarly spec'd. any advice on my plan?

thanks!

perosnally.. i would say 40" is a bit to small a TV to really notice a difference between the M8 and the F8..

how far are you sitting from the TV ?... i sit at about 3m... and i have the 46F8.. its a wonderful tv... make no mistakes... the F8 does rule over the M8... but at 40" .. im really thinking if there would be much difference.. coz the only difference that does exist is

1) contrast ratio 15000:1 compared to 25000:1

2) motion plus (which you may.. or may not like...)

what i'll suggest you to do is. .go to the shop. compare both of them.. see if you really find a difference on the F8 than on the M8... and then make your decision.. its your TV at the end of the day..

also.. if you are sitting at 3m or around that mark.. i would really recommend the 46 incher... you know what.. im repenting i did not get the 52" one :D.. but thats life !... you buy and you always want mroe..

40" is really small these days because 1080p difference is really hard to see on a 40"...

salesman love to brag about the expensive stuff.. but at the end.. it really comes down to what you like..

have a look at pioneer plasmas as well... the 50" 508xda.. not the full HD one.. but its got heaps of good reviews.. and its about 2700$ (not sure if they still sell them though..)

Just an update on the Settings resetting themselves. It hasn't happened since the other day when it happened several times in one movie. I haven't changed anything, didn't even get a chance to do plug and play again, and yet it hasn't happened again. I don't know whether it will happen again or not? I guess only time will tell.

I will say this, it was very strange to have no problems at all for months, then have this happen, come on here to find out if anyone knew anything about it, and finding someone that had the same problem around the same time.

Jack Slater, any update? Is it still happening?

perosnally.. i would say 40" is a bit to small a TV to really notice a difference between the M8 and the F8..

how far are you sitting from the TV ?... i sit at about 3m... and i have the 46F8.. its a wonderful tv... make no mistakes... the F8 does rule over the M8... but at 40" .. im really thinking if there would be much difference.. coz the only difference that does exist is

1) contrast ratio 15000:1 compared to 25000:1

2) motion plus (which you may.. or may not like...)

what i'll suggest you to do is. .go to the shop. compare both of them.. see if you really find a difference on the F8 than on the M8... and then make your decision.. its your TV at the end of the day..

also.. if you are sitting at 3m or around that mark.. i would really recommend the 46 incher... you know what.. im repenting i did not get the 52" one :D.. but thats life !... you buy and you always want mroe..

40" is really small these days because 1080p difference is really hard to see on a 40"...

salesman love to brag about the expensive stuff.. but at the end.. it really comes down to what you like..

have a look at pioneer plasmas as well... the 50" 508xda.. not the full HD one.. but its got heaps of good reviews.. and its about 2700$ (not sure if they still sell them though..)

hi rocean... thanks for your comprehensive reply! at 40", wont it still make quite a difference? i'm sitting between 2-3meters from the tv.

according to reviews and input from (other) forum members, the F8 is the way to go for gaming. better blacks, 100Hz does help for games, and is somewhat better than the M8. like you said, the M8 is a world class tv on its own, the F8 just improves over it in a few factors.

the thing is, the M8 is not currently stocked anymore, so its either the F8 or wait for the new 650 series.. i got a really good quote on it - about 200bucks more than the F8. there hasnt been reviews etc on the 650 yet, but i can safely assume that it'll be a good move on my part. what do you think? do you have any handy review links?

46" - hahah yeah bigger is always better right? ;) i think 46" will be too big for me, based on my viewing distance. plus, my (soon to arrive) tv cabinet can take a max width of a 40" tv..

plasmas - i think i'll pass on that, i've decided to go for an lcd instead.. its difficult enough narrowing down what i want on the lcd tv range as it is :)

Can anyone confirm that these new models 450, 550, 650 do 24fps? The digital centre site mentions 1080p24 for the 450 but not for the true HD models which seemed a little weird! I expect that if the 450 does 1080p24 it would be accepting that signal like the Pana's and outputting 768 to the panel obviously.

hi rocean... thanks for your comprehensive reply! at 40", wont it still make quite a difference? i'm sitting between 2-3meters from the tv.

according to reviews and input from (other) forum members, the F8 is the way to go for gaming. better blacks, 100Hz does help for games, and is somewhat better than the M8. like you said, the M8 is a world class tv on its own, the F8 just improves over it in a few factors.

the thing is, the M8 is not currently stocked anymore, so its either the F8 or wait for the new 650 series.. i got a really good quote on it - about 200bucks more than the F8. there hasnt been reviews etc on the 650 yet, but i can safely assume that it'll be a good move on my part. what do you think? do you have any handy review links?

46" - hahah yeah bigger is always better right? ;) i think 46" will be too big for me, based on my viewing distance. plus, my (soon to arrive) tv cabinet can take a max width of a 40" tv..

plasmas - i think i'll pass on that, i've decided to go for an lcd instead.. its difficult enough narrowing down what i want on the lcd tv range as it is :)

Really? I've heard prices for the 46" F8 down as low as $2.5k (before cashback), and prices for the 46" A550 up as high as (RRP) $3499?

Here's a review from CNet Asia on the 46" - A550 http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...3186448p,00.htm

Really? I've heard prices for the 46" F8 down as low as $2.5k (before cashback), and prices for the 46" A550 up as high as (RRP) $3499?

Here's a review from CNet Asia on the 46" - A550 http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/home_av/tvs/0...3186448p,00.htm

Most places I asked didn't have a pricing for the newer Samsung LCD models or just gave a rough estimate on cost and time of release.

Are you waiting for the newer Samsung LCD TVs as well?

Most places I asked didn't have a pricing for the newer Samsung LCD models or just gave a rough estimate on cost and time of release.

Are you waiting for the newer Samsung LCD TVs as well?

Actually, given the high estimates (in this forum) of the newer Samsung A550's, I was thinking of getting an F8 soon;

Reasons being (could just be me wanting/justifying a tv now :P) the cashback and run out pricing on the F8 would give me an (albeit older) top-of-the-line F8 for at the very least $500 less ($2300 vs best-case-for-an-A550, $2800), than the newer base model A550

Note: Though yes, I know spec-wise that the A550 is supposedly superior (although according to reviews (CNet) PQ on this isn't supposedly that great))