Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Also, if people are happy now, perhaps we should now remove the online petition? Or at least update the description on the petition to the fact that Samsung released an update for the very issue?

Does anyone know if there is anyway to contact the 55 people who signed the petition - or is it anonymous? We need to ensure they all know about the new 1013 firmware.

I believe samsung have made all efforts to attend to this particular issue and in saying, removal of the petition would probably be a good idea.

Samsung have also gone above and beyond their promotional requirements by upgrading the free 26' models, so they are doing what they can without doing it at a loss, despite being a large corp.

Its not to say theyre off the hook, hell, its been 48 days since i bought my TV and im yet ot receive it. In any case, i await but im not losing sleep over it..

in regard to this particular article, theyve actually got a link straight to 1012 firmware.

Obviously further research was not done prior to publiching this article, in turn, it may have an adverse affect on sales of this brilliant, albeit temperamental, unit.

This firmware includes the Motion Plus adjustments from 1012

Not a good idea,if you liked the old settings there is no way to get rid of judder than to except the new motion plus settings.

Or is it that they both HAVE to go together.

I am starting to think that we are going around in circles.

Someone from Samsung should just say if it can or if it can not be fixed.

I just put mine back to 1008 and on FTA SD am getting good Picture on Med.

HDROCKS. :wub:

They'l never admit to it.. the technology is there, however much like alot of software releases, updated and patches are made after they hit the shelves. This is usually for marketing purposes above everythign else, so even if a product has issues (or software is glitchy) its still released on schedule.

In any case, has anyone tested 24p WITHOUT motion plus on? When i saw the unit, it was playing back without motion plus turned on and it was perfectly acceptable.

Just wondering if anything has changed in that regard

Just rented The Guardian Bluray from local VideoEzy store, might try it tonight and see how it goes.

About samsung upgrading their free lcd from 26" to 32", is that for everyone? or for people with 'special' case (i.e problems, delays, complaints etc)?

I sent my claims on 2nd of march.

Cheers

Not a good idea,if you liked the old settings there is no way to get rid of judder than to except the new motion plus settings.

Or is it that they both HAVE to go together.

I am starting to think that we are going around in circles.

Someone from Samsung should just say if it can or if it can not be fixed.

I just put mine back to 1008 and on FTA SD am getting good Picture on Med.

HDROCKS - I'm a bit confused by this.

Just to clarify - 1013 is a fix for some frame rate issues. 1013 includes the adjustments made to Motion Plus in 1012. You do not need Motion Plus "ON" to avoid the Frame rate issue - they were seperate things - but both are included in 1013.

I fail to see where we are going in circles?

Quote: I encourage everyone who has applied the new firmware to contact SMH at "troubleshooter@smh.com.au" and give them an update your experience with the new motion plus.

Just did as well.You would think that THAT person would at least wait until he has seen the set.Or if he is that worried about it just cancel the order and purchase some other brand.

Well fairs fair. Lets be honest - up till last week we were trying to get this sort of attention. If it wasnt for people, such as SMH, we wouldnt normally have the 'voice' to get these sort of issues fixed. I completely understand why someone would be worried about a large purchase (such as the TV), only to find out it has faults before you even received it.

It was just unforuante timing that the article was posted the same time as a fix.

Just tested spiderman on ps3 in the part where the sandman comes to life for the very first time. Because there is a lot of movement on the screen due to the sand this is a great place to test. Used to be jerky on 24hz now smooth as. Tested on medium.

Not convinced it's a benefit to FTA telly though. Most programs have negligable difference and it appears to be the way it's filmed as to whether motion plus works or not.

Keep these updates coming though cos I still feel there's room for improvement. (especially on high)

Just remember - "HIGH" is designed for fast moving action - such as sports. It is not designed for normal TV viewing.

More importantly than this, I want to know how ALL buyers of these F81 TVs around Australia are going to be informed of the new firmware "fixes" as I'd like to see everyone benefit from all of our efforts in getting these problems acknowledged and then fixed by Samsung - does Samsung Australia have a plan to tackle this?

Which is why I was wondering if it is possible to get in touch with the 55 people who signed the petition? Is it possible?

Yes, it is good that they have addressed the problems we reported but I still maintain that they needed to be rapped over the knuckles for releasing a TV that had not one but several problems. What seems to be going on here now is that there is a push to quickly sweep this saga under the carpet so that no more adverse publicity will fall upon Samsung - but, it's quite simple really, had they released a problem free TV in the first place then none of this would have happened.

Finally, I may well earn the wrath of certain people in here, but you know what, I don't give a damn - but IMO this negative public exposure for Samsung was certainly needed to help convince them to never again release a TV with such significant and obvious problems (God knows how they didn't see them as part of their Quailty Control checking process!) - this whole drawn out, sorry saga has now made me so much more cautious about considering a Samsung product in the future when I had previously held them in high regard having previously bought one of their high end widescreen LCD monitors for my PC and I am very happy with it.

Fair enough. I think it is also important to note they could have just done nothing, but instead they worked quickly and got us the firmware to fix the issues. No one denies it should never have happen in the first place, but lets be honest - sometimes things slip through the cracks, even with the highest levels of QA. Remember, there was no fault with Motion Plus, they just adjusted it to better suit our requirements.

Edit: I went and had a look at a through of the other threads on DTVForums. I came across a few about the SONY BRAVIA (which is the comparision unit to the Samsung F series I believe?).

2 things jump out in just 5 minutes of research:

1. Some sort of loud fan fault affecting alot of people: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=60755&st=20

2. A Motion Adjustment issue (sound familar????):

Quoted from the forum:

is definitely 24p. I refer to it as ghosting but it could have another technical name:

Say George Clooney moves from the left to the right of the screen, I can see another George Clooney right next to him following behind. It's as if the previous frame is still there for half a second whilst the next frame is on the screen. Make sense? And since it's continuous, it stays there for ages.

It happens particularly badly in dark shots, and on close ups of skin tones.

I will test your advised settings of Motion Enhance and Cinema Drive - Motion Enhance just seems to me to inherently undermine the idea of 24p. Basically it's got to be faking frames, right?

That sounds like the exact issue we were having.

I found it in this thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...628&st=1000

Havent read much more - but you get the idea.

Edited by lioannou

Which is why I was wondering if it is possible to get in touch with the 55 people who signed the petition? Is it possible?

Fair enough. I think it is also important to note they could have just done nothing, but instead they worked quickly and got us the firmware to fix the issues. No one denies it should never have happen in the first place, but lets be honest - sometimes things slip through the cracks, even with the highest levels of QA. Remember, there was no fault with Motion Plus, they just adjusted it to better suit our requirements.

Edit: I went and had a look at a through of the other threads on DTVForums. I came across a few about the SONY BRAVIA (which is the comparision unit to the Samsung F series I believe?).

2 things jump out in just 5 minutes of research:

1. Some sort of loud fan fault affecting alot of people: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=60755&st=20

2. A Motion Adjustment issue (sound familar????):

Quoted from the forum:

That sounds like the exact issue we were having.

I found it in this thread: http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...628&st=1000

Havent read much more - but you get the idea.

Hi lioannou - it would have been very remiss of Samsung to just do nothing as sooner or later mass media publicity would have severely hurt their reputation in Australia (eg: the SMH story following after the CNET Australia review) and we would have still continued the battle to get them to make these fixes for problems they initially denied even existed!

Sorry, but it still riles me to think of what many of us have been though and then to compound it there were problems with the free TV promotion as well.

I'll post once again a particularly nasty Samsung experience I had just so people don't forget what we have had to endure - I had the S.A. Samsung Distributor phone me in Dec 2007 after I complained to my retailer re the probs with my F81 TV (and gotten nowhere) only to also have the State Distributor deny there were any problems with the TVs, plus he refused to come to my place so I could demonstrate them to him (including a very obvious lean from left to right of my TV), he refused to put in writing to me that there were no problems with these TVs and then, to cap it all off, he accused me of calling him a liar because I did not believe what he was saying in that these TVs had no problems! Well, didn't they all end up with egg on their faces! Then there was also Samsung Tech Support denying for some time that problems existed - many of us felt like we were bashing our heads against a wall! This is what we have had to endure lioannou and I wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through all that for an expensive item they had just purchased only to find it had problems.

I wonder whether Samsung would have done anything had the CNET review not occurred and if the pressure applied by members of this forum had not occurred or been as constant as it was - I agree that the SMH article should have happened earlier rather than now when the fix/es have just been released.

Anyway, that's enough ranting from me - lol - overall, I am glad we have been able to achieve a positive outcome out of all this:-) Now that the AFL is starting this Thursday night I can't wait to give the Motion Plus changes a real test by watching it in high definition and testing the various settings.

Edited by powerman1

I'm having a bit of trouble with my PlayStation 2 and F81. I have it hooked up via component and have no problems with PS2 games. However, PS1 games are giving me a "unsupported resolution" error from the TV.

If somebody has the same setup, can they please test a PlayStation 1 game? Much appreciated.

Jeff

Guest F8L8te
Its not to say theyre off the hook, hell, its been 48 days since i bought my TV and im yet ot receive it. In any case, i await but im not losing sleep over it..

Hi Padre! How long would you wait before you lost any sleep? I've been waiting for 91 days just to experience this problematic(?) TV! I reckon I deserve an upgrade to a 40 incher!!! :(

HDROCKS - I'm a bit confused by this.

Just to clarify - 1013 is a fix for some frame rate issues. 1013 includes the adjustments made to Motion Plus in 1012. You do not need Motion Plus "ON" to avoid the Frame rate issue - they were seperate things - but both are included in 1013.

I fail to see where we are going in circles?

Kindly tell me how anyone can get the fix for the frame rate issue without getting the motion plus upgrade.

In other words keep 1008 and upgrade for frame rate equals NO.

There might be many people who are quite happy with M Plus the way it was and who just wish for frame rate fix.

Hi Padre! How long would you wait before you lost any sleep? I've been waiting for 91 days just to experience this problematic(?) TV! I reckon I deserve an upgrade to a 40 incher!!! :(

id be busting afew heads and making a right nusance of myself. Frankly teh longer you wait for your main purchase teh longer you wait for the bonus. By the time you get it theyd have depreciated considerably. Hell the 32' inch samsung is now hitting shelves at under a grand.. the 26' rrp is 1100 or so..

shelf price for teh 26 is now around the 700 mark.. so they have indeed decreased in value..

Good luck with insuring your goods when the goods you buy aretn worth as much as u actually paid...

This is MY concern above everything else, as i dont want a screen that is going to be over $800 cheaper by the time i actually have it in my posession.. as far as im concerned, no bonus TV is worth that kind of depreciation unless the bonus in itself carries that same value to offset depreciation.

Frankly Im appaled they sold the TV without advising that there were none in stock. Im also pissed that they promised Late Feb/March and im still sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Over 90days, and i'd be rightly ropable and i WOULD be demanding a 40incher.. but then i'd also consider how much was paid for the initial purchase as these retail for under 4k, with a street price of 3400 and a haggle price of 2800 to 3k...

The lower i paid, the less i'd expect as a bonus.

Edited by Padre

Hey guys. I am the person in the SMH article that was published on monday.

Let me clear up a few things.

The email that I sent to SMH was sent on the 28th of February, which is back when we weren't seeing any action from Samsung and weren't hearing any news.

I have since received my F81 and I am very happy with my purchase. The F81 is an outstanding LCD with many, many features and options. And at a much more affordable price than other LCD's that are similar in quality to the F81 namely the Bravia X/XBR.

However, I still strongly believe that Motion Plus is an issue with this TV. And if Samsung are going to sell a product, and promote specific features so heavily i.e. Motion Plus, then IMO those features should work as advertised. They can say that viewing Motion Plus is a subjective matter, but it does not change the fact that while viewing HDDVD's or Blu-rays that there are Motion Plus problems. And the image judder is as clear as day. It didn't matter what setting you had it on.

I have downloaded firmware 1013 and can tell you that from my experience and testing, that on HDDVD's there is still image judder on high, medium and low Motion Plus settings. And I tested the same scene several times on all Motion Plus settings with the same result. I also tested the same scene several times with Motion Plus off, and there was no noticeble judder.

The judder does seem to be an improvement from previous firmwares, which is encouraging.

Hopefully the SMH article informed some of the people out there with F81 problems that aren't on these forums and helped them out. Because for me, the biggest issue out of this is the lack of information available to the public that Samsung has released. If from the start they would of said that they realise that there are Motion Plus issues and that they are working on them, I'm sure many of us wouldn't have made anywhere near as big of deal out of this.

I'm glad that Samsung are finally doing something about the problems that so many of us feel are important. Because if they can fix the Motion Plus problem (Which from what I've seen, doesnt' really affect FTA broadcasts) they can make a great TV even better.

And please contact the SMH troubleshooter and let them know what you think about the new firmware and the Motion Plus issue, because I am just one person with one opinion. And Nick Galvin from the troubleshooter has kept up with developments concerning the Motion Plus issue. So much so that he sent me an email yesterday letting me know about the availability of the 1013 firmware, before I had a chance to log onto the DTV Forums and see lioannou's post. So he hasn't just written the story and forgotten about it.

Also thanks again to lioannou for the new firmware link.

Edited by Machvayne

My Take...

Now I had the "wave" issue but to remind everyone Samsung had a firmware upgrade available within a couple of weeks of my end of November purchase.

Samsung now have a firmware upgrade for Motion Plus and Judder problems (within 4 months of my purchase).

I obviously understand everyone's frustration with Stock Supply issues and the Free LCD Promotion supply issues. But this is beacuase of the huge take up of this great LCD, better than the Sony IMO and check the Sony forums they have their own issues with their LCD.

The beauty of this new technology is that firmware can be upgraded and rectify issues or just make other overall improvements. Guess what...this is what is happening, Samsung are listening and are providing firmware fixes.

I have stated previously that writing on these forums about the probelms people have had with these sets is fine but you also need to ensure you contact Samsung so they can log the problems, send a tech out if needed and then work on a solution quickly. In all honesty I don't think enough people have contacted Samsung directly as they are waiting for someone else to do it, well if more people contacted them and logged the problems then we might get solutions quicker...

So, should Samsung have released a set with problems...NO!! Should Samsung rectify the problems with the sets...YES!! and that is what they are doing so Samsung thanks.

That's my take.

skouta.

Kindly tell me how anyone can get the fix for the frame rate issue without getting the motion plus upgrade.

In other words keep 1008 and upgrade for frame rate equals NO.

There might be many people who are quite happy with M Plus the way it was and who just wish for frame rate fix.

Hi HDROCKS - sorry - like I said, I didnt quite understand what you were asking. Now it makes sense to me.

Dont know the answer to your question but. Perhaps give Samsung Tech a call?

Just watched Bluray on 46F81.

Is it just me think that the Motion Plus effect only when its set on high?

hardly notice any difference when set to low or medium.

Hi Tweigh.

HIGH is "very HIGH".

For blueray, the best results are with the LOW setting.

Your right about not seeing much - but there is a difference. To really appreciate the difference you really need two TVs setup side by side, one on LOW, and the other on OFF.

I think part of it comes from the fact Blueray is very detailed, so there is not much to 'fix' with Motion Plus? Dunno..

I must admit when motion plus was working properly on 1009 it looked far more brilliant, but only worked properly 15-20% of the time. Even though it doesn't look quite as good on 1013, it works 100% of the time.

With the old firmware things would look so clear it would almost look 3D and jumping out at me. With the new firmware it just seems to make things a tiny bit smoother and nothing else.

I think if there is a 1014 I will revert to 1009 before upgrading so I don't lose that firmware and still have it as a backup.

Edited by Sicarius123

Hey guys. I am the person in the SMH article that was published on monday.

Let me clear up a few things.

The email that I sent to SMH was sent on the 28th of February, which is back when we weren't seeing any action from Samsung and weren't hearing any news.

Hi Machvayne, thanks for posting.

My thanks to you for taking the initiative to contact SMH. Like I said, it was just unforunate that SMH posted the article when a fix was been released. I assumed that what you said (contacted SMH a few weeks earlier) was the case - so it is just one of those things.

Regardless - it still puts some more pressure on Samsung to make sure the issue is 100% corrected, so that is good.

With the HDDVD issue - do you have Blueray aswell, if so does it happen on that? Just curious.

i know the motion plus differences between the 1009 and the 1012 are quite significant, and that it doesn't look like as if motion plus settings are ON..

but im quite happy with the results of the motion plus now. i have no problems of lagging and i for sure can see a difference when i switch it from off to medium just watching regular FTA.

personally, im not going to complain anymore about the motion plus and i think it works really well now.

about 1013 now, we have Machvayne who says he still experiences judder when he watches a HD DVD with motion plus on in all 3 forms, low med and high...

so does anyone else face this problem? i dont have a blu or a hd dvd player... so if anyone else could test this out.. it would be great! since 1013 is supposed to remove the judder !

Hi, every1

Anyone still waiting for delivery of 46" F81?

I've fully paid back in 12/02 and still waiting for 46", just called JB Hifi and they saying because of all these delay, Samsung will upgrade free 26" TV to 32"

Any trues on this?

Just got off the phone from the promotions dept and was told that after 9 weeks of waiting they need the reciept to the faxed to them again as the first company up and left leaving no info. I asked about the 32" upgrade, she told me that only those who had received an e-mail would get them, asking how to qualify for this no answer was given and to top it off they didn't have my e-mail address on the system even thou I had been sent 2 e-mails confirming the promo LCD.

My Take...

Now I had the "wave" issue but to remind everyone Samsung had a firmware upgrade available within a couple of weeks of my end of November purchase.

Samsung now have a firmware upgrade for Motion Plus and Judder problems (within 4 months of my purchase).

I obviously understand everyone's frustration with Stock Supply issues and the Free LCD Promotion supply issues. But this is beacuase of the huge take up of this great LCD, better than the Sony IMO and check the Sony forums they have their own issues with their LCD.

The beauty of this new technology is that firmware can be upgraded and rectify issues or just make other overall improvements. Guess what...this is what is happening, Samsung are listening and are providing firmware fixes.

I have stated previously that writing on these forums about the probelms people have had with these sets is fine but you also need to ensure you contact Samsung so they can log the problems, send a tech out if needed and then work on a solution quickly. In all honesty I don't think enough people have contacted Samsung directly as they are waiting for someone else to do it, well if more people contacted them and logged the problems then we might get solutions quicker...

So, should Samsung have released a set with problems...NO!! Should Samsung rectify the problems with the sets...YES!! and that is what they are doing so Samsung thanks.

That's my take.

skouta.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will go further, the vigilantism stirred up by some was quite laughable, suggesting complaining to media etc etc before ANYONE had samsung look at their sets to confirm the flaw. I think some here with too much time on their hands quite enjoyed the attention of taking it to the man and will need to look elsewhere now to grind their grist.

I agree wholeheartedly. I will go further, the vigilantism stirred up by some was quite laughable, suggesting complaining to media etc etc before ANYONE had samsung look at their sets to confirm the flaw. I think some here with too much time on their hands quite enjoyed the attention of taking it to the man and will need to look elsewhere now to grind their grist.

100% with you.