Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

yup - its definitely a great set but I think their numbers are wrong.

If Samsung continue to push the "no problem" line what can we do except return it?

I agree with you, Samsung starts downplaying the problem to avoid massive returns on their faulty product therefore would create a bad image.

Well in my book they already are anyway, from previous experiences. Just a matter of time before something else comes along. Let's see how well they'll handle this situation.

Mine is going from bad to worse, occasionally apart from the annoying coloured lines flickering across the screen constantly it goes into a almost solarized effect like on on cameras.

FIRST LARGE PANEL EXPERIENCE "PRICELESS" :angry:

Model Code: LA46F8BDX/XSA

Type: PY46SO

Made in Malaysia

Version: SS02

Current Software: T-PENYDAU0-1006

Edited by Procastinator

Can someone post a video of this wave problem. I want to know what to look for.

It is so faint and on my F81 it only is visible when I select Standard or Movie mode but even on these it is not always there. I definately cannot see it on Dynamic Mode. I would think this would be very hard to capture on Video.

On mine it is like a faint shadow that starts at the top of the screen and runs down to the bottom scrolling over and over again. But as I said it is not always visible and I have not seen it at all on Dynamic Mode.

If you already have the panel, aren't you better off not knowing. Once you see it, you will always see it. If it's that big of a problem you would have seen it already (assuming you own one of these panels).

Switch off the lights in the room, select movie mode, hit the channel list button, you can easily see the wave, the faint vertical bars moving down the panel. Once you know what it is, exit from the channel listing mode, you should then know what to look for. It is very clear in low moving scenes like news reader etc. It is very annoying.

Guest GeekGuy99

Hi Automan,

Quote: Why dont people get it replaced with the 14 day policy?

Well I have done that. I'll try my luck with the replacement which should arrive somewhere around the 17th. I must admit that appart from the wave issue, I love the TV. It looks great, sound is good, HD sources look fantastic ... I just want one that can do that with a stable consistent backlight. Not too much to ask I think.

Geekguy

ok... so "Firmware is a combination of software and hardware. Computer chips that have data or programs recorded on them are firmware."

When you guys refer to "firmware fixes", how does this work?

Would Samsung actually send you (or even come out and install), a small piece of hardware on the actual unit itself?

I've purchased the t.v too (being delivered 1st week of Jan), and just want to know what the options are of batch 2 has the same problems.

Thanks heaps.

Steve.

ok... so "Firmware is a combination of software and hardware. Computer chips that have data or programs recorded on them are firmware."

When you guys refer to "firmware fixes", how does this work?

Would Samsung actually send you (or even come out and install), a small piece of hardware on the actual unit itself?

I've purchased the t.v too (being delivered 1st week of Jan), and just want to know what the options are of batch 2 has the same problems.

Thanks heaps.

Steve.

Steve, firmware is really just software that's stored in ROM (read-only memory) on a computer chip inside the TV. It's typically executed once you turn the TV on.

Think of it like BIOS in a computer. When you need to upgrade your BIOS, it's only a matter of installing a piece of software (i.e.: no additional hardware involved).

I'm not sure if there are any firmware upgrades for this TV as yet.

and just want to know what the options are of batch 2 has the same problems.

You have 14 days to decide whether you want to keep the TV I guess, for me and those who already received the TV, I think it would be to late for a refund.

Some seem not to fuss about the problem, it likes watching the PC monitor through the cam corder, the scanning just not that bad, but still, I cant tolerate it. I have booked the replacement, I need to make the decision in the next 7 days or so, whether I should go for the refund or take the gamble with the replacement and hope Samsung will have the problem fixed! $3k+ is not small.

You have 14 days to decide whether you want to keep the TV I guess, for me and those who already received the TV, I think it would be to late for a refund.

Some seem not to fuss about the problem, it likes watching the PC monitor through the cam corder, the scanning just not that bad, but still, I cant tolerate it. I have booked the replacement, I need to make the decision in the next 7 days or so, whether I should go for the refund or take the gamble with the replacement and hope Samsung will have the problem fixed! $3k+ is not small.

What happens if you get the replacement and the problem still exists?

Do you call Samsung and get them to replace it again (via the original retailer)?

Do you get another 14 days with the new set?

If after the 14 days you are still not happy, what is the most and least that Samsung might do?

Would they try to fix it, replace it or give you your money back?

After all these sets do come with 3 year warranty.. and i WOULD consider this a fault.

Do you call Samsung and get them to replace it again (via the original retailer)?

If after the 14 days you are still not happy, what is the most and least that Samsung might do?

After all these sets do come with 3 year warranty.. and i WOULD consider this a fault.

I am guessing, after the 14 days, faults are repaired under warranty but I am waiting for a response from Myer on this same question, I will update here when I have hear from them, unless someone else knows.

Hi guys,

Just to let you know I also have the wave problem. (Only noticable when turning off dynamic and lowing backlight.

To update you on my posts of last week . My 46" F8 got from Myer at Indooroopilly was turning itself off after 5 to 120 seconds and then turning itself on again. Assume was a power supply problem. I was very lucky that the guy at Myer let me have their brand new demo model in exchange that had just arrived. Unfortunately it has the wave problem like many others here. Unsure what I will do yet as very happy with the TV

Based on this thread, I was going to get one of these, but now, I'm going to pass completely on this model. Clearly there are too many issues and too much BS around this model. Especially with a unit of this size, it's not trivial to throw it in the back of a car and take it back to the place of purchase...

I'll likely still buy a Samsung. All of my PC monitors are Samsung, but not this model. Or even F series.

When I spoke with Samsung Technical Support I asked them about this and I was told if the new set was delivered and was faulty it would also have 14 days to exchange as this was considered a new set...I hope he is right. I also hope they continue to read this forum as it was indicated to me that they do, as the numbers of wave issues continue to grow, so hopefully they will decide to take action and look for a fix prior to the new batch arriving.

Maybe I can ask those with the wave problem to post here so we can actually have an idea of how many have the issue:

Can you post 1. If you have the wave issue 2. Have you arranged exchange.

heard this from a friend who owns a betta store. He reckons there is going to be more bargains on LCD/PLASMA's as there is a new legislation that requires electrical items (not sure if it refers to TV's only) to operate under a certain power consumption. In saying this, will the new models that adhere to this new rule be more expensive to buy? Hence the reason for the great deal by samsung

I am guessing, after the 14 days, faults are repaired under warranty but I am waiting for a response from Myer on this same question, I will update here when I have hear from them, unless someone else knows.

I called Samsung just then and was advised that the 14 days replacement policy restarts when you swap over to the replacement TV. I have yet to speak to Myers manager to confirm this and let you guys know.

I have until this Sat to get a refund if Myer says there is no new 14 days replacement on an already replaced TV and that really scares me as I don't want to go through warranty repairs afterwards....might as well refund and get a brand new one to restart the 14 days replacement if need be......that's if I want to stick with 46F81 after all the dramas :(

BTW Samsung said they are testing one of the F81 they have there at the moment.

Edited by Highlighter