Samsung TV Owners & Discussion Thread

Since we all know about the “wave” issue, I thought I might mention some other problems the TV has – just for fun :P. I don’t know about you guys but I am getting the stuttering and TBE problems that plagued the US sets. For those who don’t know, TBE is what looks like a tripling (or more) of an object, usually during a fast moving scene – especially in sports. The moving object basically creates many duplicates behind itself as it moves across the screen. Stuttering, which occurs much more frequently, is exactly what is says. It looks like the image is jittering, or the image is slowed down to about 5 fps for a couple of seconds. Both these problems are associated with AMP. I get the stuttering very frequently, whether AMP is on low, medium, high or even off. It’s very annoying – more so than the waves.

These problems can be fixed with a firmware update, as has happened in the US. As of now judder has been completely removed from their sets, while the TBE is 90% gone. If problems still persist, they also have the option of completely turning off 120hz (100hz here). We can’t do that in Aus – although AMP is set to “off”, all that does is turn off the interpolation algorithms, not the actual AMP 100hz.

But there is hope, because if we complain and complain and abuse and whinge and complain, Samsung will eventually get the picture and release a firmware fix as they have in the US. Hopefully the same can be said for the wave issue.

So, in short, complain! :D

Hi gmc70,

My Optus cable box came with SCART with R. W. & Y. cable which is connected to my DVR. My setup from the DVR is Component (R.G.B) to the TV as I was advised that would give me more control over the colours etc. I guess if you are connecting direct from the Foxtel Box, component (R.G.B) would give you the best result.

I am more than happy with the advise I received.

Cheers.

Edited by dinkydi

Well I was considering getting the 46" unit, UNTIL reading this thread!!

What is the point of buying a 100Hz unit and not using it's 100Hz setting?

This is a shame as the bonus smaller LCD was a great attraction.

Oh well. Maybe a Sony X or a plasma.

Good luck to you guys and I hope Samsung gets this wave issue sorted quickly.

1. Is this wave problem evident in all Aussie F81s?

2. Is this wave problem easy to see?

Well I just ordered mine last week and am expecting it in 2 weeks from Bing Lee. Now after reading this forum, I am feeling a bit worried. Guys, tell me has everyone experienced teh WAVE problem or only a handful of you?

Well it seems like every is getting the wave issue, so it seems more like a problem across the board rather than a fault wish a few of the panels. I for one am not too worried. It's not something I noticed in normal viewing and only found it when I actually went looking for it. Perhaps it will be fixed by a firmware update down the track but it doesn't really phase me that much in the meantime.

1. Is this wave problem evident in all Aussie F81s?

2. Is this wave problem easy to see?

1. Seems like a lot of people are reporting this.

2. To be honest, as it was my first venture into full HD and my first "big" tv, I was so blown away by it that i didn't notice the wave effect during the first 2 days. Whether it was FTA, SD DVDs, PS2.... I was loving the tv. But I'm sure the wave problem was already there => so I guess it

s not THAT easy to see. However now that i know it's there and am always conscious of looking for the fault, I can definitely see it only WHEN the conditions are right. If the screen is displaying coloured/bright images, it's hard (or impossible?) to detect the waves... even if backlight is adjusted low (though need to experiment more). But in dimmer images, or when there's a uniform background (ie the green outfield of cricket ground, or a blank beige coloured wall) I can definitely notice it. As posted earlier, playing around with settings last night, setting backlight to 10 seem to fix? it.

Well it seems like every is getting the wave issue, so it seems more like a problem across the board rather than a fault wish a few of the panels. I for one am not too worried. It's not something I noticed in normal viewing and only found it when I actually went looking for it. Perhaps it will be fixed by a firmware update down the track but it doesn't really phase me that much in the meantime.

Agree with BGH. The wave issue is causing more "psychological" annoyance for me than actually degrading the viewing quality. Hating the thought of purchasing a TV which is not 100% perfect.

2 things I'm finding not "perfect" about my 46" F81 (hopefully no more)

1. Wave issue

2. The remote control response could be quicker. Could get by with less button clicks to change settings.

Otherwise - I'm liking it.

New to the forum - hello there.

I just got a 40" M81 from Harvey Normans in Bondi for $2080 which I think is the lowest yet on this forum. I just went in there saying Dick Smith had offered me $2100, and the guy said without hesitation that he could beat that by $20.

Any advice on a cheap HDMI to DVI cable to plug my macbook to the Samsung?

Cheers

I just geeked out and went into the service menu's!!!!!

Its a frightening experience, and apparently can be quite dangerous.

I didn't change anything just had a bit of a look.

Here is more detailed info re software :-

T-PENYDAU0-1006

T-PEONYAAU5-1002

T-PEONY-AU-0001

2007-10-16

DTP-LO-0098

Don't know what any of it means, but we can deduce that the software we have is specific to Australia.

I'm guessing some of it relates to the Plug&Play setup screens which KNOW we are in Australia <g>

So far i've only heard of SS02 panels here in Australia.

Over in UK they've got SS04 as the latest.. so please let us know if anyone gets anything newer

than SS02. Don't know what this means either.. just identifying facts and trying to compare.

My 46F has

T-PENYDAU0-1006

2007-10-16

SS02

....and there is wave too

I think we should keep on ringing Samsung to push them to find a fix......... :angry2:

New to the forum - hello there.

I just got a 40" M81 from Harvey Normans in Bondi for $2080 which I think is the lowest yet on this forum. I just went in there saying Dick Smith had offered me $2100, and the guy said without hesitation that he could beat that by $20.

Any advice on a cheap HDMI to DVI cable to plug my macbook to the Samsung?

Cheers

Congrats on the great price :) Heaps of us on the forums here get our cables from http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au they are good quality and decent prices. Unless you have excessively long cable runs, their cheapest HDMI cables are absolutely fine

Edited by scarecrow420

Purchased a Samsung LA26R71BDX (hey - it's not the size that counts) and am very impressed with picture quality after SD on a CRT.

great news

that's the LCD they're giving away as a freebie with certain LCD and plasma panels (including the 50" P9 i just bought :))

Regarding the wave - I think the best outcome for us would be for Myer to register our wish to return/swap the product once Batch #2 has come in. Albeit this will probably be in a couple of weeks time.

It would be good if Samsung actually acknowledged there is an issue and what they are doing to rectify it... For all we know Batch #2 will be the same, which would be a waste of everyones time.

Also do you guys hear the set "creaking" - particularly noticeable when just turning the TV off?

Cheers

D.

Guest actionjaxson
I recall that some owners of the M81 LCDs had a similar problem with xbox via VGA and it turned out that the signal (voltage) output by the xbox360's is too low and causes the screen to think it doesnt have a signal (this is why it comes up briefly, then disappears). Some HTPCs also had this issue (dependent on what video card they were running). In these cases the owners found that using a powered KVM switch helped to "boost" the signal and this worked. Apparently there was also a fix that service centre did to some LCDs involving removing (or adding?) some resistors somewhere, basically making it not spit the dummy on a weak signal and claim there was no signal.

If your problem is similar then you should try a powered KVM switch, and if this fixes it, then perhaps you can find out more about the resistor fix for the M81 LCDs and have them acknowledge that the plasma has the same issue. Check somewhere in the Samsung 1080P owners thread for more details.

:)

Hey there just getting back re connection via kvm switch, can verify that it works. Very happy chappy, thanks heaps for the info.

According to Samsung there are NO known faults with the F81 series. The reports of this "wave" issue are minimal in terms of number of units sold. Not every F81 has the wave issue and as it is less than 1% of the units this is not considered a serious problem.

With any thing purchased there is the possibility for getting one with a problem, in the case of this forum as we tend to discuss things and have products in common it appears as though the problems could be larger than they are.

As there are many units out there that don't have the wave issue Samsung have advised me that the next shipment will be ok as 99% of this shipment was.

I tend to agree with what they are saying, I still think the LCD is great and as I have mentioed before as I watch on Dynamic I cannot see the wave. When I change to Standard or Movie mode I can start to see it.

I will reserve my judgement until the replacement arrives and hope that there is no issue, in the meantime I will keep enjoying my new LCD.

yup - its definitely a great set but I think their numbers are wrong.

There are at least 5 guys on this forum with the problem, how many sets do you think they sold in batch #1? I doubt if its more than 70-80.

I would say %20-%30 of B1 have the wave problem. If not more.

If Samsung continue to push the "no problem" line what can we do except return it?

Congrats on the great price :) Heaps of us on the forums here get our cables from http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au they are good quality and decent prices. Unless you have excessively long cable runs, their cheapest HDMI cables are absolutely fine

Great! Thanks for the fast reply. Have been browsing the Apple store site and have found just what I need on there for a good price - am assuming the quality's decent as has had some good reviews. Will keep that site in mind for any future audio purchases....

Well I was considering getting the 46" unit, UNTIL reading this thread!!

What is the point of buying a 100Hz unit and not using it's 100Hz setting?

This is a shame as the bonus smaller LCD was a great attraction.

Oh well. Maybe a Sony X or a plasma.

Good luck to you guys and I hope Samsung gets this wave issue sorted quickly.

Yeah, I was planning on getting the 46" F8 this week, but now...

The thread started off on a positive note. I should have stopped reading halfway through. :rolleyes:

The thing is, my current Samsung LCD has proven to be very reliable, so I'm not entirely keen on moving to a new brand (Sony X series).

The fact that it's a 100Hz unit, has an incredible dynamic contrast ratio and comes with a free LCD is too hard to resist.

I'm still considering 'taking the plunge' just after xmas. Despite the absence of guarantees from the second batch, I'm might just take that risk.

Anybody else feel the same way?

There are at least 5 guys on this forum with the problem, how many sets do you think they sold in batch #1? I doubt if its more than 70-80.

I would say %20-%30 of B1 have the wave problem. If not more.

I know just Myer in Victoria at their Altona Warehouse started with about 30 of the 46" and don't forget the 40" as well is to be included, so I think the first batch would have been in the hundreds and 5 or so returns don't ring the alarm bells just yet...Believe I am frustrated as this was my first venture into LCD but I am remaining optomistic and calm at his stage...

Just to add to that above post, I spoke to a Samsung tech today. He seemed fairly genuine and spoke openly about this matter, but clearly within guidelines permitted by his job..

Essentially he said that there is an issue BUT as posted above it appears to be around 1-2% of the series. Samsung are looking into it and at this stage are saying that (a) it was a bad batch that was processed or (B) there may be a question of interference from another source.

When pressed his thoughts were that it was (a), as (B) is very rare nowadays with electronics and interference.

From my research with LCD monitors this issue has been known to happen. For example, in a manufacturing process where the factory spits out say 2000 of the LCD's a day, between 10am-11am there is a fault with the process, and some 200 LCD's get spat out with questionable results. What causes the manufacturing fault could be anything. Worse, this can happen anywhere along the chain e.g. in the production of the panel, part of anyone of the electronic components etc. This is why when the matter is looked into, it takes time to find where the fault originated.

I indicated Samsung have basic QA as say compared to Sony. He of course did npt agree per se, but did state Sony's system of production is probably more advanced than Samsungs. He got a tad touchy at this point and said Sony use the Samsung panels, and is off the opinion it is a component in the LCD.

I then raised if it had to do with the 100hz technology being so new - again he did not comment directly but suggested that it could be.

It is possible that this is the aspect posing problems with the TV. Sony kind of have the same issue, but it is not as apparent as the Samsung, so it could well be the electronics used to achieve the result are better with Sony than Samsung.

:)

Hey there just getting back re connection via kvm switch, can verify that it works. Very happy chappy, thanks heaps for the info.

Good to hear it works for the plasmas as well as the LCDs. It might be worth ringing samsung and/or a service centre saying that you had heard there was some resistor fix/modification that could be done on the LCDs which made it work, and see if you can get more info on a permanent fix. But ultimately i guess as long as it now does what you want (albeit with a workaround and needing a KVM switch) then thats the main thing!

Well I just reported it to Samsung (1300 362 603) - the tech I spoke to hadn't heard about the problem.

I told him about this website and the other users that are affected.

He said he would raise it with his Team leader so at least the right people get told about it.

He basically said utilise the 14day return policy from the retailer.