Sign in to follow this  
byt

Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

Guest cemalley

I have similar setup to what you described with a TH-50PZ700A, a PS3 and a Panasonic DMR-EX87 DVD recorder (plus a Sony PVR).

What might look a little dull under bright shop lights compared to other screens with their brightness maxed out, is absolutely fine under normal, or even moderately bright, home viewing conditions, and would certainly be fine for you where you indicated very low light levels for viewing. I have mine set at only the default 50% brightness even for daytime viewing with quite a lot of sunlight coming in to the room.

At 2.5m you should see a difference between 1080 and 720 screens, even if you don't quite theoretically get the full benefit of the higher resolution - this depends very much on your eyesight anyway. I personally find that anything much under 2.5m I can see the pixel edges even on the 1080 screen.

I have compared DVD playing on the DVD recorder and the PS3, both connected via HDMI, and trying many different settings and found the using the PS3 and having it do the upscaling gives the best picture (and a very good picture at that).

If you use the PS3 for games as well, these look great on the Panasonic.

You will find this is an area where you will get lots of different opinions.

John

If you are as fussy with the decision to buy your previous screen, then consider the Pioneer 508XDA (~$2700). It's a 768p panel, not 1080p like the Panasonic, but produces a much better picture. I would even buy a PX70 before the PZ700, resolution isn't everything...the antiglare coating and low contrast put me off the 50PZ700. If you wait another month or two, the new Panasonic models are due out and the 50" 1080p has better contrast and a few other features that in my opinion, if you must have a 1080p, would be worth the wait. Plasma's look better than LCDs in dimly lit rooms IMO, because they don't have a backlight making their blacks look greyer that a plama.

The PS3 upscales DVDs, but I would hook up the DVD Combo anyway and try it out. See which looks best in your eyes. I would be suprised though if the Samsung only has composite connections. I would imagine it would also have component which would be a much better connection.

Ok, i travelled a bit further today and found the following:

The PX70 was on sale for $1999 even on 24 months interest free. Great picture but it was hard to compare it with the PZ as even though they were side by side the PZ was playing Bluray. I did notice the blacks on the PZ lacked the detail of the PX though.

However, HNs had the 508XDA for $2999on special, but of course only for today. On interest free they wanted an extra 12% too but t included a 5 year warranty in the price.

I did like the PQ of the Pana but my only gripe was the case looked a little dated, but for a grand less i am wondering if i could live with it.

Someone please just slap me and help me make a decision before i go completely insane!

edit..the guy in hns also said the px was made in china. is this true?

The lower contrast on the PZ is a big negative over the PX IMO. The PX maybe made in China, but it'll be to the same hiogh standards that Panasonic apply in their Japanese factories. I believe they are assembled in China, but the glass is still made in Japan.

$2999 seems to be the current ticketed price for the Pioneer across Australia, with some guys getting it for ~$2600. The 5 year warranty is included in the price from Pioneer (factory warranty) as standard, as well as free delivery and installation.

New Panasonic models should be out in the next month or so, so if you don't like the look of the current wait a few weeks and compare with the new ones.

Thanks for the advice Mick. Well i'm happy to say it's finally all over; i grabbed the last PDP-508XDA in the shop along with a PS3 :D

The picture quality, warranty and the rave reviews from everywhere did it for me. I have a few more questions about the Pio but i won't litter this Panasonic thread any longer.

Many thanks for your assistance everyone! :)

Does anyone know how much the Pana 50pz700 costs? Has anyone bought one recently? What did you pay?

Check out the various price threads - Hdtv Prices, Latest & Best HDTV Prices and New PANASONIC plasmas, how much you pay?.

From memory the 50PZ700 should be available for ~$2900 if not less.

Both BingLee and Harvey Norman Auburn say their cost is $2975.00

Clive Peeters in Auburn will honour $3180 (TV + 4-year extra warranty + delivery) if you show them a printout of the prices shown in hdtvprices.wiki.

Has anyone bought a 50PZ700 at a price lower than the above?

About two weeks ago Domayne had them advertised for $2999, no haggling.

I paid $3150 delivered with 5 year warranty (1+4 extended) from Harvey Norman Knox City

Has anyone used this TV with a Harmony remote ?

I'm having a slight issue where when I turn on the TV, it goes to DVB-TV, then to Analog TV. ie, it doesn't stay on DVB.

It works ok switching between inputs, but not when turning on.

As a workaround, I set the activity to Go to "PC" input, then another command to go to "TV" input. It works, but takes a few seconds.

anyone else found this or a way around it ?

i wish i knew mate. having the EXACT same problem. I will try your method... at the moment i have just been going thru the help button to get it to change! lol

Ok...another question.

Has anyone managed to get DVI + Audio into the Pansonic ?

I have a Mediaplayer with DVI output.

I want to connect via DVI, however the Pana's HDMI inputs don't let you associate an analog signal with them (ie the only way you can get audio to a HDMI input is through the HDMI cable)

So, my question is, is there a DVI to HDMI cable that also includes connectors for spdif or RCA ?

The only thing I have found is a some kind of breakout box which is $300US.

I can also just route audio to my amp and use the amp as my speakers (which I would do when watching home theatre), but I would like an everyday solution

I want to connect via DVI, however the Pana's HDMI inputs don't let you associate an analog signal with them (ie the only way you can get audio to a HDMI input is through the HDMI cable)

You should be able to use the "AUDIO IN" terminals with the HDMI1 input (see pg 29 of the manual where it talks about DVI). It looks like only HDMI2 has no analog audio associated with it.

Ok...another question.

Has anyone managed to get DVI + Audio into the Pansonic ?

I have a Mediaplayer with DVI output.

So, my question is, is there a DVI to HDMI cable that also includes connectors for spdif or RCA ?

The only thing I have found is a some kind of breakout box which is $300US.

I can also just route audio to my amp and use the amp as my speakers (which I would do when watching home theatre), but I would like an everyday solution

I have used a DVI-HDMI cable (e-bay $20) to create a 1080p output from my mediacentre. Unfortunately my graphics card (6600GT) is not really up to that - so I have gone back to 13xx x 768 via the PC analogue input. Even at this resolution it still looks awesome. I am not sure any of the networks are broadcasting at the 1080i true HD format anyway. But this doesn't answer the audio question .

One approach on the audio may be to use a ATI-2600 or 2400 series video card. I believe this include audio decoders and include an audio stream in the HDMI output?

hey V8JLENE. you were spot on. Thanks for the heads up. I really should have read the manual first :blush:

It's all plugged in and working now. DVI/HDMI 1080P WITH Audio

Hi guys, pretty sure I already know the answer, but just want to confirm..

Considering one of these in the 42, or 50 to be hooked up to a media centre PC via DVI to HDMI and I just want to make sure it can be used as a desktop at the full 1920x1080.

The specs say;

Applicable PC Input Signals - 1366x768 @ 60 Hz (48.4KHz) as the highest, but that is using the VGA.

Applicable HDMI Video Input Signals - 1,080p @ 60Hz (67.5KHz)

Is the computer source classed as HDMI Video, as long as it comes from the HDMI?

I've been told and I don't know if it's true that certain screens may support 1920x1080, via HDMI but not when being used as a desktop...

Any comments?

Also I've posted under the burn in sticky, so just quickly, have any of you had burn in problems when using these screens connected to a media centre PC running Windows XP MCE 2005? Mainly concerned on the static menu when playing music..

Cheers

medianut

Got my TH-50PZ700A a few days ago and finially set it up last night.

Uisng PS3 with HDMI cable into HDMI 1 in the tv when playing a game or a blu ray the display on the TV says 1080i input not 1080p.

Is this a setting on the PS3 i need to change? Didnt get much of a chance to play with it.

Edited by INASNT

Got my TH-50PZ700A a few days ago and finially set it up last night.

Uisng PS3 with HDMI cable into HDMI 1 in the tv when playing a game or a blu ray the display on the TV says 1080i input not 1080p.

Is this a setting on the PS3 i need to change? Didnt get much of a chance to play with it.

Yes in the display setup of the PS3, chose the resolutions.

just thought i'd put up a new price....$2935 + delivery + 5 year warranty (1 + 4 year extended) + DVI to HDMI cable from DSE PowerHouse in Nunawading...

just thought i'd put up a new price....$2935 + delivery + 5 year warranty (1 + 4 year extended) + DVI to HDMI cable from DSE PowerHouse in Nunawading...

$1999 plus extras at Retravision

I presume that's for the 42"

42" regardless, i still hate him.. :P

i bought mine about 4 months ago and paid $2900

(mind you that included a 3 year warranty, delivery and 2 years interest free, but even so...$2000?!!!)

Domayne had a Friday the 13th sale on today where it could be had for $1797