Sign in to follow this  
byt

Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

Hi folks

The 50PZ700A is my first foray into the flat panel market. I'm a little disappointed so far, though I'm not sure what the specific cause of my problem is.

When watching FTA (yes, I can hear the groans now!) the picture seems...well, positively grainy frankly. I of course understand that this is often a problem of source rather than TV, but then watching things like the cricket (and I'm not talking about 'motion' here, just plain ordinary TV watching) where I would have expected them to have pretty good cameras - well, it's still crappy. FWIW I sit about 2-2.5 metres from the screen.

I thought maybe it was an issue of reception quality but according to the DVB Signal Strength bit in the menu, I'm a 10 for both quality and strength.

I have a 32700A (Can't remember the exact model number, it's the current Panasonic 32" LCD) in the bedroom and the picture is great. I appreciate this is of course a much smaller screen but still - what gives? The only thing I could think of is that where the 50" is connected is the antenna amplifier - pardon the ignorance but could this possibly affect things?

I think I experienced a similar thing when watching DVD but I've only watched one DVD so still inconclusive on that front. PS3 looks great (Uncharted, Motorstorm), but am yet to trial blu-ray.

Anyone else with this screen having these sorts of issues, or can anyone give me some advice?

Guest cemalley
Hi folks

The 50PZ700A is my first foray into the flat panel market. I'm a little disappointed so far, though I'm not sure what the specific cause of my problem is.

When watching FTA (yes, I can hear the groans now!) the picture seems...well, positively grainy frankly. I of course understand that this is often a problem of source rather than TV, but then watching things like the cricket (and I'm not talking about 'motion' here, just plain ordinary TV watching) where I would have expected them to have pretty good cameras - well, it's still crappy. FWIW I sit about 2-2.5 metres from the screen.

I thought maybe it was an issue of reception quality but according to the DVB Signal Strength bit in the menu, I'm a 10 for both quality and strength.

I have a 32700A (Can't remember the exact model number, it's the current Panasonic 32" LCD) in the bedroom and the picture is great. I appreciate this is of course a much smaller screen but still - what gives? The only thing I could think of is that where the 50" is connected is the antenna amplifier - pardon the ignorance but could this possibly affect things?

I think I experienced a similar thing when watching DVD but I've only watched one DVD so still inconclusive on that front. PS3 looks great (Uncharted, Motorstorm), but am yet to trial blu-ray.

Anyone else with this screen having these sorts of issues, or can anyone give me some advice?

I experienced this to a degree as well.

Firstly make sure you are not running on the default, very bright, "Dynamic" setting.

I use Normal or Auto.

This helps a bit, especially Auto but you may find it a bit dull.

Mostly however it is the source.

Generally live TV like morning shows and some sport are good, but the recent cricket did not seem so great.

I found that after a while you stop scanning the screening to see how perfect the picture is and you don't notice this anymore.

I would be surprised if you don't see it at all on your LCD if you look carefully.

I have a 76cm widecreen CRT and I see it there if I look for it too, but at the smaller size it is easier to ignore.

Hi folks

Just making sure you are watching the digital signal on the tv not the analogue? If unsure press the TV button

Make sure you change the picture settings to standard, and reduce the sharpness to realistic levels. The preset modes out of the box make these panels looks shocking in a home environment

Hope that helps

Hmmm..... I think the fact that the tv does not have 24p could be the problem, but I don't know enough about it, I'm sure someone will be able to provide more info on the matter. Or just look into it yourself, it's all about the tv refreahing at the same rate as a film camera operates to record the picture. Though I'd have thought this wouldn't apply to FTA tv? Sorry I can't help more than that.

24p capable has nothing to do with FTA.

I experienced this to a degree as well.

Firstly make sure you are not running on the default, very bright, "Dynamic" setting.

I use Normal or Auto.

This helps a bit, especially Auto but you may find it a bit dull.

Mostly however it is the source.

Generally live TV like morning shows and some sport are good, but the recent cricket did not seem so great.

I found that after a while you stop scanning the screening to see how perfect the picture is and you don't notice this anymore.

I would be surprised if you don't see it at all on your LCD if you look carefully.

I have a 76cm widecreen CRT and I see it there if I look for it too, but at the smaller size it is easier to ignore.

It was indeed on Dynamic! I've turned it to normal, taken the contrast down to probably about 2/3 (I wish there were numbers) and the sharpness to maybe 1/4. Seems a little better

It's funny you mention the morning shows cos they're the first ones I looked at and said "that looks shite".

I've had it less than a month so I'm well and truly in the "still looking for quality/faults" phase.

I guess the true test will be waiting till 10HD shows a decent movie on a Sunday night ;)

It was indeed on Dynamic! I've turned it to normal, taken the contrast down to probably about 2/3 (I wish there were numbers) and the sharpness to maybe 1/4. Seems a little better

It's funny you mention the morning shows cos they're the first ones I looked at and said "that looks shite".

I've had it less than a month so I'm well and truly in the "still looking for quality/faults" phase.

I guess the true test will be waiting till 10HD shows a decent movie on a Sunday night ;)

Didn't you watch proof of life last night on 9HD, the quality on the PZ was very good in my opinion for FTA.

Didn't you watch proof of life last night on 9HD, the quality on the PZ was very good in my opinion for FTA.

Nope, that was in the bedroom. D'oh!

When viewing jpg on the PZ, does anyone knows how to great rid of the grey bars on both right and left. Or we are always stuck with it? Or can we even change the color?

THks

i noticed the colour was too saturated when we first fired it up and that stupid spelling singing bee game was on

everything was sooooooooooooooo bright!

the default was on dynamic so i changed it to normal much better

Guest cemalley
When viewing jpg on the PZ, does anyone knows how to great rid of the grey bars on both right and left. Or we are always stuck with it? Or can we even change the color?

THks

You can change the setting for the sidebar from its default of high to a less bright.

I turned it down one notch and it seemed okay.

The default setting is recommended in the manual.

Anyone noticed duplication of the now/next programs on the guide. Software fault or just something I've done?

You can change the setting for the sidebar from its default of high to a less bright.

I turned it down one notch and it seemed okay.

The default setting is recommended in the manual.

U sure you can, read the manual again it doesn't mentioned anything about it?

Guest cemalley
U sure you can, read the manual again it doesn't mentioned anything about it?

Quote from the manual (section on Setup):

Side Panel Increases the brightness of the side panel (Off / Low / Mid / High)

• The recommended setting is “High” to prevent panel “image retention

Having already changed it on mine from High to Mid, as mentioned, I am very sure you can.

Quote from the manual (section on Setup):

Side Panel Increases the brightness of the side panel (Off / Low / Mid / High)

• The recommended setting is “High” to prevent panel “image retention

Having already changed it on mine from High to Mid, as mentioned, I am very sure you can.

Oh ic that's what the side panel adjustment for. Thank you very much!

I kept looking at the SD card section of the manual and didn't see anything.

oh awesome - i'll put it on high...

just wondering where the following options are: (or are they not in the australian version?)

Video NR, Color Matrix, Block NR, Mosquito NR, Black Level, 3:2 pulldown, HD Size, Zoom Adjust

Also - how do you make the side panels grey for tv/dvd (mine are black but i want to try to avoid IR in the first 200 hours)

Cheers

Also - how do you make the side panels grey for tv/dvd (mine are black but i want to try to avoid IR in the first 200 hours)

I am pretty sure you only get black on FTA as this is what is transmitted by the networks to make a 4:3 image become a 16:9 image.

I am pretty sure also that you cannot chnage the colour to grey or anything else for DVDs either.

I am pretty sure you only get black on FTA as this is what is transmitted by the networks to make a 4:3 image become a 16:9 image.

I am pretty sure also that you cannot chnage the colour to grey or anything else for DVDs either.

I think you're right, grey is only available in jpg mode

Edited by PurpleIce

I see DSE have this model DVD player Sony DVPNS78H on special for $148. I would be interested to see if anyone has tried if and how it upscales to 1080p via its HDMI connection to a pana 700 series plasma, and whether it can be programmed for region free DVD playing.

Could not find anything on a search of the DTV forum. A similar query in the DVD section of this forum has no replies to date.

Are there any other DVD players in similar price range that Pana owners can recommend?

Any comments welcome.

KTF

Guest cemalley

I f Side Panel is set to something other than off you will get grey when you use Zoom / Apect Ratio change which leaves empty space.

For DVDs, the player usually has options as to whether 4:3 DVDs are output with the black bars in the signal or just output as the full width (sometimes the labelling can be confusing and look like the option is the opposite to what you might think) then use the TV's aspect ratio control to adjust the picture.

I have mine set to output the full width for two reasons:

1. If your output is set at 720 x 576 (i or p) then including the black bars in the signal loses resolution.

2. Using the zoom means you get the side panels at your specified setting.

It also means you can better zoom to a different setting - I tend to watch 4:3 TVs as 14:9 (without any distortion i.e. top/bottom are cropped).

I saw a sales person demonstrated one way Pioneer was able to achieve a darker black with the Kuros.

He lit a lighter near the screens of the Panasonic and the Pioneer when there a dark scene.

On the Pioneer, you are able to see only one reflection of the flame. But you see two reflections on the Panasonic. Pioneer only used one "glass" layer and Panasonic used two "glass" layers.

I used to work selling these things and this test was not to show black levels! Where did they do this for you? There's only a few of us that seem to know this trick...

It is used to show reflections. As the Pioneer has used the single layer of polycarb there is only ever one reflection. All others use 2 layers of acrylic which create up to 8 reflections (2 off each 2 sheets, times 2 off these first strong reflections)! This is most noticable when you have light text on a dark background, think sub titles, or when you have little detail and large blocks of colour, as in cartoons.

The fastest way to sell a Pioneer was to put the subtitles on a dark movie and watch everyone pick the clarity, my favorite was the Batman movies. Beware in store if someone puts a Batman movie on...

My brother has had his 50PZ700 for 3 weeks now and today it got a whole heap of vertical lines and the color went really bright on it and then went blank. That was the last thing he saw and now it's a warranty job. I'll be a little stressed when mine arrives in mid Jan!

I can't imagine having to move that thing back to a service centre a couple of weeks after I get it.

He is demanding a replacement not a warranty.

Edited by jbrwelcome

Hi folks

I allways put on channel 50 when adjusting PQ as not all channels are good on FTA. I have noticed on my 42 and a mates 50 HD older that they are brighter, but know I see them as too bright after viewing mine PZ50. The PZ50 has a more natural look after you tone them down. Have been very happy with it so far. Size could be a little to big as I sit about 2 mtr away. Still waitnig for PS3 to try out blu ray.

For those asking about transporting it...I picked up mine in a Hilux dual cab and used rope to hold tail gate up as it just missed closing by about 5cm, works ok

Edited by Panaplasma

I allways put on channel 50 when adjusting PQ as not all channels are good on FTA. I have noticed on my 42 and a mates 50 HD older that they are brighter, but know I see them as too bright after viewing mine PZ50. The PZ50 has a more natural look after you tone them down. Have been very happy with it so far. Size could be a little to big as I sit about 2 mtr away. Still waitnig for PS3 to try out blu ray.

For those asking about transporting it...I picked up mine in a Hilux dual cab and used rope to hold tail gate up as it just missed closing by about 5cm, works ok

Try turning on the MPEG noise reducion. This seems to do some averaging when upscaling an SD signal. By default is is set off (?) I tried 'high' and 'medium' but the image felt too soft. 'Low' seemed to hit the balance.

Hi there!,

this is my first post to this site and i was wondering if anyone knows when panny will be shipping new stock of 50pz700a,have been told anywhere from mid jan to end of feb. I was hoping not to wait too long for it. I'll be running my dvd's through a panny sc-pt550,does anybody have one of these? I think it does upscaling. this will be my 1st plasma so i'm hoping the picture will be as good as everyone has been saying here.