Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey rfa , were you able to get anymore info on how to caibrate for optimal picture on FTA ? I received the 42PZ700A yesterday and played around with picture settings a little last night. Looks very good, but I am keen to keep tweaking, so keen to find out if others who own either the 50 or 42 have found out ideal calibration settings. I realise that this will vary for personal choice and room lighting environment, but any feedback would be great.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best way to wear in the PZ or if that is needed? I haven't opened the box yet so not sure if this is mentioned in the user manual. I will be setting it up this weekend and this is the first plasma I have ever bought so hoping not to stuff it up.

I have set my 50" PZ up and it looks sweet. I have paired it up with a cheap Sharp BD player that performs very well and the PQ via HDMI is very nice indeed.

After Xmas I will look at picking up a HD-XE1 player but the Sharp is producing a very nice picture even on upscaling R4 DVDs.

I like to set the color balance to "cool" since it makes white whiter.

Hows PS3 on the PZ. Everything u expected?

PS3 looks absolutely stunning on the PZ.

I bought the 42" model and am extremely happy with it. I haven't run Blu-Ray through it yet, but that's only because I'm trying to decide what movie to buy first. If only Transformers were BD.

Just wondering if anyone is using a Toppy 5000 with this model Pana. I cannot get any picture on mine (only sound and a text box saying "AV3 Component" with a SCART-Component cable (the cheap looking one that came with the Toppy with its A/V settings on RGB), but using composite settings with std Y, R, White leads gives a reasonable picture (not as good as the pana's native SD or HD of course).

Any suggestions? Would a more HQ cable help??

regards

KTF.

Guest v8jlene
Just wondering if anyone is using a Toppy 5000 with this model Pana. I cannot get any picture on mine (only sound and a text box saying "AV3 Component" with a SCART-Component cable (the cheap looking one that came with the Toppy with its A/V settings on RGB) ...

You'd want the toppy set to YUV output for component, not RGB. I've got that cheap SCART-component cable that came with the toppy connected up but don't have the tv yet to know if it works.

Reason for the lower contrast on 1080p Plasmas is that the TV has to provide brightness for double the pixel numbers (over 2 millions pixels for 1080p compared to 1 million on a 720p set).

Even though the TV is much sharper and colours much richer the brightness - especially in harsh lit retailers - looks a lot less. You won't notice once the TV is in your loungeroom unless you have afternoon sun shining directly on to it (who would??).

The 5000:1 PZ has the same, or deeper, levels of black compared to the PX70/7, it just lacks the brightness of the Enhanced Def PXs.

Because the PZ has twice as many cells, they are half the size. Because plasma lights up the pixels with electricity, a smaller cell produces less brightness.

That's why the TH58 / 65PZ700 panels produce 10,000:1 contrast despite having the same res, the cells are large enough to produce the brightness of the lesser PX range.

The 5000:1 PZ has the same, or deeper, levels of black compared to the PX70/7, it just lacks the brightness of the Enhanced Def PXs.

Because the PZ has twice as many cells, they are half the size. Because plasma lights up the pixels with electricity, a smaller cell produces less brightness.

That's why the TH58 / 65PZ700 panels produce 10,000:1 contrast despite having the same res, the cells are large enough to produce the brightness of the lesser PX range.

I was at GG Dandenong today. They had the same signal fed to the 42 PZ and the 58 PZ. The 42 was placed on top of the 58. The first thing that struck me was that the 42 was so much sharper than the 58. Maybe the pixels are farther apart for the 58.

I was at GG Dandenong today. They had the same signal fed to the 42 PZ and the 58 PZ. The 42 was placed on top of the 58. The first thing that struck me was that the 42 was so much sharper than the 58. Maybe the pixels are farther apart for the 58.

Thats a massive size difference. Of course the sharpness will be greater on the smaller tv at the same distance.

What was being discussed was more the contrast I believe. The contrast is miles ahead on the 58" and 65" than the 42" & 50".

Morning,

Not sure if it is true or not, but I heard along the grapevine that the human eye is only capable of distinguishing contast up to about 1000:1.

If so, the figures quoted over 1000:1 is purely advertising!

Can any "optometrists" provide feedback!

The retina has a static contrast ratio of around 100:1 using other parts of the eye a dynamic contrast ratio of about 1,000,000:1 (about 20 stops) is possible.

Source, Wikipedia.

Thats a massive size difference. Of course the sharpness will be greater on the smaller tv at the same distance.

What was being discussed was more the contrast I believe. The contrast is miles ahead on the 58" and 65" than the 42" & 50".

So is the price!!!

Edited by PurpleIce

Morning,

Not sure if it is true or not, but I heard along the grapevine that the human eye is only capable of distinguishing contast up to about 1000:1.

If so, the figures quoted over 1000:1 is purely advertising!

Can any "optometrists" provide feedback!

For many video aficionados, what the human eye can or cannot do in terms of perceivable contrast is slightly missing the point.

It turns out that by consulting the specification for a display product’s contrast ratio, an indication can be gleaned as to how the display will perform in terms of its ability to reproduce good black levels. And it’s this latter capability that is considered to be a very important aspect in portraying a good overall picture.

Of course there are other more accurate ways to measure the black level performance of a display, but often these measurements are hard to track down –and so the more commonly-specified contrast ratio is often used as a reference point instead.

Incidentally, it seems that no two companies use exactly the same method for actually measuring contrast ratio, so at best it’s only a rough guide –but better than nothing.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

It turns out that by consulting the specification for a display product’s contrast ratio, an indication can be gleaned as to how the display will perform in terms of its ability to reproduce good black levels. And it’s this latter capability that is considered to be a very important aspect in portraying a good overall picture.

I agree that the reproduction of good black levels are important (especially in dark scenes), but the reproduction of a grayscale is much more important, as it is the grayscale that determines detail in a picture! Grayscale is the single most important attribute of any electronic display. Without shades of gray, we don't have useful image contrast. Without shades of gray, we can't create wide color palettes. Here's a nice little link ( http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/spec-wars/contr...oses-259495.php ) that compares the contrast ratio's of the latest panasonic, a sony and a pioneer - with pictures - which is in plain english and explains why contrast ratio's shouldn't be heavily relied on!

I agree that the reproduction of good black levels are important (especially in dark scenes), but the reproduction of a grayscale is much more important, as it is the grayscale that determines detail in a picture! Grayscale is the single most important attribute of any electronic display. Without shades of gray, we don't have useful image contrast. Without shades of gray, we can't create wide color palettes. Here's a nice little link ( http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/spec-wars/contr...oses-259495.php ) that compares the contrast ratio's of the latest panasonic, a sony and a pioneer - with pictures - which is in plain english and explains why contrast ratio's shouldn't be heavily relied on!

I saw a sales person demonstrated one way Pioneer was able to achieve a darker black with the Kuros.

He lit a lighter near the screens of the Panasonic and the Pioneer when there a dark scene.

On the Pioneer, you are able to see only one reflection of the flame. But you see two reflections on the Panasonic. Pioneer only used one "glass" layer and Panasonic used two "glass" layers.

hey has anyone set up their tv yet?

i still have not got around to it, and wanted a bit more info on the proper set up of this tv. still running the factory settings after 3-4 months and feel we are not getting the best viewing experince from the screen.

-mark

Edited by mark_s

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the PZ700 50'' in its packaging, box and all. I need to know if it will fit in my 4WD.

I'm also curious about this too, I'm sure someone still has the box lying around, I really need some measurements. I'd measure in the store but everyone's sold out, I'm waiting for my TV to arrive but would like to know if it'll fit in my van before the day comes. Any help would be appreciated! ;-)

Hi Guys

Does the 50" PZ do direct 1:1 pixel mapping?

Well I'm not sure what you mean but it's a 1920 x 1080p panel if that helps???

hey has anyone set up their tv yet?

i still have not got around to it, and wanted a bit more info on the proper set up of this tv. still running the factory settings after 3-4 months and feel we are not getting the best viewing experince from the screen.

-mark

I set mine up using a THX DVD and it wasn't that much different to the normal setting, just a bit less colour was needed. I'd like to know how you can calibrate the TV channel settings as you can't use the DVD and as far as I know no-one puts out a test pattern.

I'm also curious about this too, I'm sure someone still has the box lying around, I really need some measurements. I'd measure in the store but everyone's sold out, I'm waiting for my TV to arrive but would like to know if it'll fit in my van before the day comes. Any help would be appreciated! ;-)

Well I'm not sure what you mean but it's a 1920 x 1080p panel if that helps???

If it is any help my PZ 50' was delivered in the back of a Hi-Ace van and it took up the entire floor to roof spaceand the length of the Hi-Ace cargo area, they only just managed to get it in.

Guest cemalley
Hi Guys

Does the 50" PZ do direct 1:1 pixel mapping?

Yes, it does.

I have it set that way.

This is an overall setting which affects all inputs.

Of course it only applies when a 1080 ( i or p ) signal is in use.

I have been viewing the 42" PZ700a for the past week. It is my first plasma experience after having a crt TV my whole life... is it normal for there to be alot of juttering around on the picture when there is fast flashes like the video hits logo that flashes through at the end of a segment? I have noticed it happens when there are camera flashes or fireworks in a movie. Not sure if it is just the quality of my aerial reception or if it is the tv... anyone else notice this? Is it something that gets better the longer I run my tv in?

Hmmm..... I think the fact that the tv does not have 24p could be the problem, but I don't know enough about it, I'm sure someone will be able to provide more info on the matter. Or just look into it yourself, it's all about the tv refreahing at the same rate as a film camera operates to record the picture. Though I'd have thought this wouldn't apply to FTA tv? Sorry I can't help more than that.