Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..lucky the wife doesnt read this board... 1797 is INSANE!!

LOL..Perhaps the lesson is: don't buy last year's model TV 4 months before the current year models arrive, rather better to wait till the new models actually start hitting the stores... THEN buy last years runouts for considerably reduced prices.

Hey guys,

I have a brand new PZ700 50 inch which I have connected to a Pana E47 combined DVD and VCR. I purchased this unit mainly to archive my video family movies to DVD. I have done a lot of work and completely rewired all my coax with RG6 quad shield and installed F Connector wall plates and put up a brand new Clipsal 2ANCOM6 aerial which is specified for my area. The FTA HD picture is great and I cannot fault it.

I am having a problem though which someone may be able to help me with. When I first got the TV, I connected it to the E47 DVD player via the HDMI 1 connection and was watching videos and DVD thru it. Everything was okay on the default settings. All I did was select HDMI 1 on the TV (using the AV selection button) and it would "see" the DVD connected there.

Yesterday I purchased a surge protector (Belkin) and also a longer HDMI cable. (Pannasonic brand cable at 1.5 m) I got home and replaced the cable and disconnected power to install the surge board. Now I cannot get a connection via the HDMI cable. I have tried the following,

used different HDMI cables

used all three HDMI points to connect into

read the manual over and over, both the DVD manual and the TV manual

Everything works as it should via the component or normal AV cables. I can see a difference in the quality of the DVD picture, I am sure it was better with the HDMI connection working.

I have assumed that the cables and connection points are not damaged so I guess that I have somehow changed a menu setting in setup or something similar.

I have selected HDMI/Optical where it is specified in the menu setup for the DVD. I have followed the manuals carefully and cannot see why it is no longer working.

Can anyone who is more experienced offer me some suggestions. I thank anyone in advance for any help.

cheers

Brad

Always power off from the wall before changing HDMI leads. There's been some horror stories on the Forum about folks who have "hot swapped" HDMI connections and subsequently damaged the HDMI connection on their device.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the HDMI on the VCR Combo as you seemed to have ruled out any damage on the TV by using all three HDMI connections.

Did you have the Viera link activated when it was working before?

Do you have anything else with HDMI connection to test with?

Always power off from the wall before changing HDMI leads. There's been some horror stories on the Forum about folks who have "hot swapped" HDMI connections and subsequently damaged the HDMI connection on their device.

Hopefully you haven't damaged the HDMI on the VCR Combo as you seemed to have ruled out any damage on the TV by using all three HDMI connections.

Did you have the Viera link activated when it was working before?

Do you have anything else with HDMI connection to test with?

I am pretty sure the viera link was working before. I just assumed it was some menu setting I was missing. I will have to ring panasonic and try to get some advice. I was not aware you could damage the connections. Thank you Mick for replying.

cheers

Brad

After reading all the comments on this thread and others around the forum, I've decided to go with the 50" PZ700A. Managed to get it for $2850 from Bing Lee, that price includes 4 years extended warranty (+1 = 5 years) and delivery.

Having fun with the TV so far - it was amazingly easy to setup, and the picture looks great.

New to this forum but have been following for some time.

I am in the process of trying to decide between the 428xda and the Pana 42pz700. After spending alot of time viewing both screens under showroom conditions I have become frustrated at not being able to view fast moving sports ie AFL .

I have been into most stores whilst a game is being broadcast but the pictures are just not good enough to be able to judge the sets true ability with regards to motion. It must be pointed out that in my opinion most sets just don't handle motion very well at all, particularly when the camera pans out and the players in the back ground are just a blurr (can't reed the number on the jumper). The pixellation of the players moving accross the grass drives me mad.

Both sets handle all other types of broadcast very well but it is the issue of motion that I put the most emphasis on.

I would not bother at all if the quality was not the same or very close to the picture I am currently getting from my CRT.

I can get both sets for around 2K and sit 2.5 to 5m from the set.

Can anyone help with regards to these issues.

Having fun with the TV so far - it was amazingly easy to setup, and the picture looks great.

That's good to hear, mine gets delivered next Wednesday :D

Then Bellotv from this forum is coming out on Thursday to put up my aerial and hopefully he can help me out with making sure I have done everything correctly!

I am in the process of trying to decide between the 428xda and the Pana 42pz700. After spending alot of time viewing both screens under showroom conditions I have become frustrated at not being able to view fast moving sports ie AFL .

I have been into most stores whilst a game is being broadcast but the pictures are just not good enough to be able to judge the sets true ability with regards to motion. It must be pointed out that in my opinion most sets just don't handle motion very well at all, particularly when the camera pans out and the players in the back ground are just a blurr (can't reed the number on the jumper). The pixellation of the players moving accross the grass drives me mad.

Both sets handle all other types of broadcast very well but it is the issue of motion that I put the most emphasis on.

I would not bother at all if the quality was not the same or very close to the picture I am currently getting from my CRT.

I can get both sets for around 2K and sit 2.5 to 5m from the set.

Can anyone help with regards to these issues.

Why Does The Football Look So Bad?, especially in SD

Have a look at the above thread. If you have a good source with enough bitrate, these screens handle fast moving images fine (eg a good HD file or Bluray source, even a good DVD source). FTA broadcast bitrates are just too low to handle fast moving images an the poor result is what you see.

I'm not up to speed with the exact bitrate numbers, but I'm pretty sure a good HD source should be 20-24Mbits (?) whilst we have to make do with just 12Mbits for the HD channels.

the whole effect is made even more obvious because the screens are much larger than CRTs.

Thanks Diesel

I read that thread the other day and I understand the issues you mention.

However even given these problems surely one of these screens handles it better and I thought current owners may be able to shine a little light.

Trying to compare the two sets at a store has been impossible because the quality of the store reception is just terrible.

Only the motion issue in a sports environment interests me as it seems most of the better sets such as the pz700 handle

DVD/movie motion pretty well.

Well, I am now a "proper" contributor to this thread, having set up our new Panasonic TH-50PZ700A 50" / 127cm Plasma (and Panasonic DMR-EX77 DVDR unit) last night.

I'll make some pics available online sometime, and write a report on it thus far.

Good news is that it appears to be flawless, brand new as expected, easy to set up, and with a picture pretty much as I expected (which is very good).

Retravision Belmont (in the Newcastle NSW area) seemed to do the right thing by me, knew not to toss heaps of bull, gave me prices in the ballpark I was after etc. - glad to recommend them.

Re: Extended warranty - it's not cheap, especially the official Panasonic Extend Warranty Options in the documentation provided.

They (the retailer) offered some apparently reputable (I think he said it was Alliance-underwritten or some such) full manufacturer's extended warranty for an extra 4 years (making it 5 years in total) (on the Panasonic TH-50PZ700A) for an extra $420.

(We can still add this if we like, but have not yet.)

What are people's thoughts and experiences with this please?

If we don't get it, Murphy's law says we are guaranteed to have some serious problem with it in a couple of years.

And apparently an out-of-warranty service call for modern such large flat panels is usually very costly.

Edited by ssar

Re: Extended warranty - it's not cheap, especially the official Panasonic Extend Warranty Options in the documentation provided.

They (the retailer) offered some apparently reputable (I think he said it was Alliance-underwritten or some such) full manufacturer's extended warranty for an extra 4 years (making it 5 years in total) (on the Panasonic TH-50PZ700A) for an extra $420.

(We can still add this if we like, but have not yet.)

What are people's thoughts and experiences with this please?

If we don't get it, Murphy's law says we are guaranteed to have some serious problem with it in a couple of years.

And apparently an out-of-warranty service call for modern such large flat panels is usually very costly.

You should be able to get a far bit of the price of the in store extended warranty. From what i have read in these forums the price the stores actually charge is far greater then what they pay. On the panel i just ordered i paid $265 for a extra 4 years of warranty when there normal price was $369. So if you stick to your guns they will eventually lower the price. After all they will rather make a small profit then none at all.

I had a look at the TH-50PX80A and the TH-50PZ700A side by side in Bing Lee and I must say the picture was sharper and looked better on the 80A than the 700A playing a Bluray and free to air tv. 700A looked a lot softer in picture quality. Have others thought the same? Or is it just the new technology in the series 8 screen as oppose to the series 7?

Edited by alholme

got my Pana TH-50PZ700A last Wednesday from Dick Smith Nunawading. Set up was a piece of cake (well aside from the enormous box). Watched some of Friday nights St Kilda v Fremantle on it and the picture was very good. Unfortunately the game itself was awful and so i only watched it for a quarter before watching an episode of Dexter thru my xBox. I initially thought the picture would be pretty ordinary but i was very pleasantly mistaken.

The only qualm i have with the tv, which is my fault as i obviously didnt do enough research, is the lack of Full HD through Component in, which means i can only watch/play xBox at 1080i or 720p as i have the super old xBox which does not have a HDMI out. But still, overall I am VERY VERY happy with the tv. Can't wait to get my hands on a BlueRay playa once my bank account recovers...

Further to my posts last week re the sports handling ability of the 42PZ700 I managed to view an AFL game on this set on the weekend. The picture was far better than I imagined so I negotiated and purchased there and then ($1899 plus 5 yr warranty $299). Boxed unit is due in today.

All I have to do now is set it up to a Pioneer DVD recorder (with analogue tuner) and Yamaha Home theatre Amp/receiver.

Does anyone have any tips specific to this set up.

Just received Panasonic PZ700 + Pan DMR ex77 + pana SC -ht65 theatre system. Everything connected OK with HDMI but I am having trouble with Foxtel digital. I purchased a scart to component cable (for Foxtel supposedly) which appears to be component plus 2 extra audio cables and I have attached the component cables (blue,green & red) to the AV2 component connection but I dont get Foxtel (picture or sound) on AV2. Can anybody tell me where the extra red and white wires plug into and are they necessary? I thought scart included video or do I need to use the S video slot for video? Everything thing looks great if I can just get Foxtel working all will be right with the world.

The only qualm i have with the tv, which is my fault as i obviously didnt do enough research, is the lack of Full HD through Component in, which means i can only watch/play xBox at 1080i or 720p as i have the super old xBox which does not have a HDMI out. But still, overall I am VERY VERY happy with the tv. Can't wait to get my hands on a BlueRay playa once my bank account recovers...

get yourself a reciever which upscales to 1080p and you'll be fine. Mind you, i highly doubt you'd notice the difference on the old version xbox anyway. better off buying a ps3 for your blu ray player. Get a new games machine and blu ray player all in one. :)

Just received Panasonic PZ700 + Pan DMR ex77 + pana SC -ht65 theatre system. Everything connected OK with HDMI but I am having trouble with Foxtel digital. I purchased a scart to component cable (for Foxtel supposedly) which appears to be component plus 2 extra audio cables and I have attached the component cables (blue,green & red) to the AV2 component connection but I dont get Foxtel (picture or sound) on AV2. Can anybody tell me where the extra red and white wires plug into and are they necessary? I thought scart included video or do I need to use the S video slot for video? Everything thing looks great if I can just get Foxtel working all will be right with the world.

You need to set your Foxtel picture setting to 'YUV' not RGB. The scart lead must be out of the socket with a TV symbol not the tape symble stamped on the foxtel box.