Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

one thing i have noticed recently..

i fell asleep infront of the tv the other night, but before i fell asleep on the couch i turned the tv off

now i woke up in the middle of the night, and i could hear the tv like trying to turn on/off kinda noise, u know that clicking noise you get when you turn the tv on / off...

That's normal. Page 10 of the manual mentions it: ['When the TV is switched to standby, there will be a clicking sound after a short delay. This is normal.']

I've heard it too. It's probably something that warms up and then down. You know how the tele takes a few seconds to fire up when starting from cold?

does the tv do 1080p on component cables, for xbox 360??

The tele can 'only' do 1080i using component in. In any event, using component out the Xbox can 'only' produce 1080i out as its highest setting.

1080p requires HDMI cable, for both the panel and the Xbox.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Just pruchased my 42PZ700A and received it on wednesday. So far very impressed and will be taking on board some of the display settings mentioned in this thread. Had a question though, has anyone compared the inbuilt HD tuner to an external tuner (I have a Topfield TF7000HTB) and was wondering if anyone noticed which was better?

I have bought an antenna splitter so that I could hopefully use the 2 tuners and utilise PIP. I'm assuming this is possible? Thanks for the help

(I have a Topfield TF7000HTB) and was wondering if anyone noticed which was better?

I have bought an antenna splitter so that I could hopefully use the 2 tuners and utilise PIP. I'm assuming this is possible? Thanks for the help

Should be fine for PiP connected as an input

That's normal. Page 10 of the manual mentions it: ['When the TV is switched to standby, there will be a clicking sound after a short delay. This is normal.']

I've heard it too. It's probably something that warms up and then down. You know how the tele takes a few seconds to fire up when starting from cold?

well aparently it isnt normal as mine didnt want to stop clicking at all and this is like 4-5 hrs after it has been off in the dead of the night

the panasonic techies came this morning and took it away to get repaired

it better come back with not a single mark on it, i showed them the tv before they touched it and agreeded there was not a mark on it. i will be very angry if it returns damaged. everyone knows how hard it is to keep piano black finish clean and scratch free

Only had my th-42pz700 a few days and I cant get a handle on the dvb favourites list.

I was hoping there may be a way of organizing my ch list e.g 2hd,2,2-2,7hd,7,9hd,9,10hd,10,sbshd,sbs in that order.

Early days but am very happy so far.

Regards

Fred

Only had my th-42pz700 a few days and I cant get a handle on the dvb favourites list.

I was hoping there may be a way of organizing my ch list e.g 2hd,2,2-2,7hd,7,9hd,9,10hd,10,sbshd,sbs in that order.

Regards

Fred

If you find way can you let us know Fred, keen to do the same.Only got mine yesterday so not much of a chance to play yet.

Regards

Fred

It's easy to do, it's in the menu under DVB favourites. Once you're in it, the coloured teletext buttons are your main control. If unsure read the manual ;-)

Having said that, my set tuned them all in perfectly in the correct order, I've just removed duplicates that I don't want, such as the 3 channel 7's in a row

Hi folks,

My TV is hopefully not too long away, so I've sat down and worked out what cables I need to buy to connect my system up.

The outcome is this: http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cablesjm3.gif

The components are:

- Austar Flinders box

- Wii

- Pioneer DV-400

- Panasonic HT-65 theatre-in-a-box

- Panasonic 50" PZ700

I'm pretty sure I've got most inputs/outputs listed, and the ones I've omitted aren't needed.

Can someone please run their eyes over the diagram and confirm that it'll all work as intended?

The one main question I have, is if I have the Wii's audio connected into the AV2 of the tv, will the TV pass that audio through its stereo RCA audio out plugs so I can plug it into the theatre system somewhere?

All ses pretty good to me though I have the older PX600. Not sure about the Wii passing audio through the Tv and back into the Amp - I have passed through audio via HDMI.

What about hooking audio out of the Wii direct to Amp?

Is it possible to show the actual program resolution that is being broadcast on each channel? I was hoping it would be shown on the Info screen of each program. :(

Not on the DVB, but other inputs may eg HDMI will show input resolution of what you have connected like PVR, DVD etc

Are you sure, I thought you could re-sort however you want.

Yeh, thats what I was trying to say, the order you move them over into "your favorites" is the order you then cycle thru using the Ch +/- button

Edited by gawaterman

:excl:

I'm using a LG DVD HD RH1777 with component (no HDMI option) and connected to the TH-42PZ700A

Compared to my old CRT, the DVD menu image was IMO worse even when I turned on progressive scan on the LG.

What I mean is that the edges are not smooth compared to the CRT when navigating through the menus.

The actual programmes I have on the hard disk are roughly the same in appearance

I've used ordinary cables as you would for analogue connection in the Component connection.

Was I expecting too much or is this as good as it gets?

Other than that the TV is great although is there a quicker way to access favourites than what is in the manual?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Just pruchased my 42PZ700A and received it on wednesday. So far very impressed and will be taking on board some of the display settings mentioned in this thread. Had a question though, has anyone compared the inbuilt HD tuner to an external tuner (I have a Topfield TF7000HTB) and was wondering if anyone noticed which was better?

the tuner works better than my old SD STB in terms of retaining the signal even when there's a low siganl available. But it doesn't allow for multiple channels with the same ID when you get the same channel from tow sources e.g. SC10 or NBN which is handy if one is not working as well as the other (i have two antennas setup for Newcastle and Sydney/Central Coast channels)

Also listing the channel id doesn't show the signal strength nor the frequency so at times i've mixed up which suganl I have. Other than that I think its operation is fine

the remote i find on mine is a pain as well very limited range

one thing i have noticed recently..

i fell asleep infront of the tv the other night, but before i fell asleep on the couch i turned the tv off

now i woke up in the middle of the night, and i could hear the tv like trying to turn on/off kinda noise, u know that clicking noise you get when you turn the tv on / off

i never heard this noise before.... is there something faulty with my set? is it trying to turn on/off? is the switch faulty? or is it just "crackling noise" which i think i read about somewhere before, it states its NORMAL?

let me know before i get worried and call a techie out

cheers

-mark

I found pointing the remote vertically works better than toward the infra red square to the left of the screen as the remote sensore is kind of under the unit

Just bought one. Picture looks fine, though when watching a BluRay through a PS3 via HDMI @ 1080p, I thought there was some lack of detail in black areas. Might just be the disc (Shooter), or perhaps I need to adjust the picture in some way. It just loooked as if the contrast was up too high, but it wouldn't let me turn it down. I'll have to check it out again.

The remote (on mine anyway) is an absolute dog! Doesn't work if its more than just a few degrees off-axis. I have to point is straight at the receptor. Does anyone else have this problem or should I take the remote back? Probably won't matter in the long run as I'll program it into my Pronto.

Dave.

Try pointing vertically rather than toward the TV unit. That's it works best for me and you can see what youre selecting too

Thanks for the replies re FAV list I will have to have a play tonight.

On another subject before I rush out and buy a Toslink? fibre optic cable to go from the TV into my AV receiver does the TV output dolby or 5.1 via this cable or only stereo sound ?

Thanks

Fred

Thanks for the replies re FAV list I will have to have a play tonight.

On another subject before I rush out and buy a Toslink? fibre optic cable to go from the TV into my AV receiver does the TV output dolby or 5.1 via this cable or only stereo sound ?

Thanks

Fred

Don't waste your money, the TV will only passthrough 2.0 NOT 5.1 although it says it will output 5.1 from the inbuilt tuner, I am yet to find a movie in 5.1 though!

Don't waste your money, the TV will only passthrough 2.0 NOT 5.1 although it says it will output 5.1 from the inbuilt tuner, I am yet to find a movie in 5.1 though!

The Optical out will output DD5.1 from FTA - when broadcast. Still not that often, mostly special presentations, and some shows like Idol, Lost etc

As for "Passthrough" of any connected device (eg you hook up a DVD player by HDMI and then wish to pass the DD5.1 signal through the optical out of the TV to an AVR) this will be downscaled to 2.0.

So yes it will work and the optical cable is handy but no need to 'rush' out to get it. As ratings seasons starts, there may be more DD5.1 broadcast.

The Optical out will output DD5.1 from FTA - when broadcast. Still not that often, mostly special presentations, and some shows like Idol, Lost etc

As for "Passthrough" of any connected device (eg you hook up a DVD player by HDMI and then wish to pass the DD5.1 signal through the optical out of the TV to an AVR) this will be downscaled to 2.0.

So yes it will work and the optical cable is handy but no need to 'rush' out to get it. As ratings seasons starts, there may be more DD5.1 broadcast.

So if I plugged my Wii (which is only L/R audio anyway) into, say AV2 on the TV (red/white audio plugs), will the TV pass that audio out through its optical output?

Edited by skooter

Are you sure, I thought you could re-sort however you want.

Yes you can sort them however you want and don't need to start from scratch. Simply access the favourites menu and then highlight the channel in the relevant favourites list. The Green function button should now enable you to move that channel either up or down your list of favourites, thereby changing the order in which it will appear when you scroll through the channels.