Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just watching a whole lot more FTA and enjoying the better resolution there.

hi mate,

how do you find the FTA overall, especially for SD programmes? Any good?

I had a look at one in JB recently and I was almost completely put off a 42PZ as the neighbouring samsung 42Q91 was displaying a waaaay nicer SD image than the 42PZ.... Did the shop have the TV set up wrong, or is it really that bad?

I know we buy these sets for their HD finesse but much of the time I expect I will be limited to SD programmes...

Also, how do you find ads that have text on a white background? In the instances I saw at JB, the white was never "white", more like a murky whitish grey.

Also, how do you find ads that have text on a white background? In the instances I saw at JB, the white was never "white", more like a murky whitish grey.

I think this alone would have been a give away that it was poorly set up, as I have seen these panel show great whites.

I have also been looking at this model, but am uncertain with the comments about the anti-reflective display issues, the 5000:1 contrast ratio and the fact that i will (for the current time) be only using 576P as my "best" source.

As owners of the Pz700, would you recommend this panel??

Edited by Cobra_bal

hi mate,

how do you find the FTA overall, especially for SD programmes? Any good?

I had a look at one in JB recently and I was almost completely put off a 42PZ as the neighbouring samsung 42Q91 was displaying a waaaay nicer SD image than the 42PZ.... Did the shop have the TV set up wrong, or is it really that bad?

I know we buy these sets for their HD finesse but much of the time I expect I will be limited to SD programmes...

SD content on FTA is all very good, no complaints at all. I can say that it looks better than many units (Pana and others) setup in stores.

As for the white and high-contrast scenes (on FTA HD) it is also great - if it is in cinema mode the whites can be greyed out due to the very low contrast but sort that out and it is very nice.

I just need to hire "Into the blue" on bluray, those who have seen it will know what i mean.

Hi Guys,

I am about to purchase a PZ700 42" and am reading with interest..............

When you say Foxtel looks crap.. is that as it simply isn't HD (and thats what the TV is for!!!!!!) and compared to the FTA HD channels doesnt look as good, or it simply doesn't look good on this panel and another panel (or the older PX70A) would give FAR better picture.........

If I watch Foxtel and DVDs mainly, but am purchasing for the future (as Blue ray becomes bigger etc.) is it still worth getting the PZ??????

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!!!!

Hi Guys,

I am about to purchase a PZ700 42" and am reading with interest..............

When you say Foxtel looks crap.. is that as it simply isn't HD (and thats what the TV is for!!!!!!) and compared to the FTA HD channels doesnt look as good, or it simply doesn't look good on this panel and another panel (or the older PX70A) would give FAR better picture.........

If I watch Foxtel and DVDs mainly, but am purchasing for the future (as Blue ray becomes bigger etc.) is it still worth getting the PZ??????

Thanks for your help in advance!!!!!!!

Foxtel looks crap on my 68cm CRT...of course it will look very average on a 1080p panel.

With pricing so cheap now for 1080p panels you're crazy not to get one (unless you can only spare $1500 for a 720p panel).

Nothing wrong with being future proofed now is there?

To the owners of PZ700.

This is the 1st time I watch this T.V in the morning, where the sun shines through my white color curtains.

Do you find the anti glare/matte screen a real pain to watch especially when watching dark movies. The dark colors are all wash out!!

I have seen this wash out at the shops (under spot lights etc. the T.V can't perform well) before I bought the T.V BUT WAS hoping that it will be much better under home conditons.

I don't understand what the matte screen hopes to achieve!!! ??? Can someone explain to me. Isn't matte screen suppose to allow you to watch the T.V under bright conditions like LCDs.

However in pana. case the matte screen makes things WORST under bright conditions.

I wonder how bad a traditional plasma screen will look like under this condition????

Last year I own PX600 for a shot while. There are reflections but the black color doesn't get washed out if I remenber correctly.

Probabaly need to change my white color curtains to totally BLOCK OUT curtains!! LOL :)

PS, Afternoon and Night time watching the picture is excellent and loving it. I would say as good or better as anything on the market for the money I paid for it.

I think this thread may get a little busier as more of the group buy members get delivery...

Is there a link or some thing for what the optimal settings are, or where may i find such a disc?

this tv roxxx!!!

(thanks MrMaxwell & foxtail)

Just thought I 'd let you guys know that Panasonic is out of 50" PZ panels until Jan 2008.

If you want one, I suggest you go and get it now before they all sell out.

This is what I hear, I cant confirm how true this is though!

Hey Automan, it seems that your source was correct. I was told today that the next 50" PZ shipment from Panasonic is not expected till Feb 08.

Very interested in buying the 50" model of this TV in the next week or so, but just had a few doubts and questions to ask current owners. I am also contemplating buying the Samsung P9 50" which seems to be very similar in specs. Is it true that the Panasonic only has HDMI 1.2 and not 1.3 like the Samsung does? Another thing that i stopping me from buying at the moment is the lack of support for 24p, has anyone watching blu-rays or hd-dvd's on this TV noticed judder?

Very interested in buying the 50" model of this TV in the next week or so, but just had a few doubts and questions to ask current owners. I am also contemplating buying the Samsung P9 50" which seems to be very similar in specs. Is it true that the Panasonic only has HDMI 1.2 and not 1.3 like the Samsung does? Another thing that i stopping me from buying at the moment is the lack of support for 24p, has anyone watching blu-rays or hd-dvd's on this TV noticed judder?

What is the difference between 1.2 and 1.3?

guys quick question. Any of you have this panel mounted on your wall? I'm looking for a wall mount but I am worried about the bulge at the rear of the panel impeding the fitment of a wall mount. The panasonic one is a complete rip off at $600-$700.

Have a search through these threads - plenty of mentions about Panasonic and the bulge. I have a PX600 which has the bulge, but no worries using a generic universal mount. Certainly looks better wall mounted I reckon

Wall Mounts

Edited by diesel

I mounted a 42" 700a using the $50 selby tilt mount. It comes with spacers which you only need to use on the bottom of each of the mount brackets to overcome the bulge. I did have to go to bunnings and get 2 longer m8 bolts though as the ones in the pack were not long enough to grip the thread when a spacer was being used.

Its a Selby PLB103B:

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/storefron...amp;i=208032056

Edited by Muppet

guys quick question. Any of you have this panel mounted on your wall? I'm looking for a wall mount but I am worried about the bulge at the rear of the panel impeding the fitment of a wall mount. The panasonic one is a complete rip off at $600-$700.

Mounted the 50pz700a on wall last weekend with crest wall mount plsm002 and no problems.Looks great and aprx 90mm of wall

I think this thread may get a little busier as more of the group buy members get delivery...

Is there a link or some thing for what the optimal settings are, or where may i find such a disc?

this tv roxxx!!!

(thanks MrMaxwell & foxtail)

hey rfa , were you able to get anymore info on how to caibrate for optimal picture on FTA ? I received the 42PZ700A yesterday and played around with picture settings a little last night. Looks very good, but I am keen to keep tweaking, so keen to find out if others who own either the 50 or 42 have found out ideal calibration settings. I realise that this will vary for personal choice and room lighting environment, but any feedback would be great.