Sign in to follow this  
byt

Panasonic Pz700 1080p Owners Thread.

Panasonic PZ700 1080p owners thread.

Hi All,

Finally I made the decision and got a 50" PZ700.

It was a tough decision for me. I have been staring at the TV countless times at the shops trying to like it.

Under shop lighting PZ700 looks very unconvincing.

I think people at the shop were caught up with the idea of its matte/anti glare screen. Therefore many shops I been

too , they proudly put the PZ under bright lighting condition. While other plasma brands they put in under dimmer location in the shop.

As we all know plasma doesn't look good under shop lightings.

My conclusion is as follows:

Pros:

DVD using my Sony upscaling DVD player through HDMI is VERY Impressive. I thought I was watching blue-ray.

Due to the matte screen, if you watch it under good lighting condition, the picture is very easy on the eyes

(you can watch DVD all day. LOL!).

Picture are Clean and Crisp. Really was very surprise by how good DVD is on this T.V. I can postpone buying a blueray/hd-dvd now until the war is over.

Jpeg slideshow through the SD card slot is amazing. I attribute this to the extra pixels of a FULL HD TV.

The quality of the Jpeg pic on the TV is as if you are looking at a frame photo.

So much better than the panasonic PX600 I tried last year.

Foxtel (using composite connection) - is crappy in my eyes, maybe its only me because I was comparing to how good it look in DVD.

But as we all know Foxtel looks crappy on any FULL HD TV.

FTA- No comments since I watch FTA through Foxtel. Will install a TV antenna soon.

Heat - Compare to Samsung P9, Pana. heat dispersion is so much better. The 3 fans behind is blowing out hot air.

Therefore the TV inside doesn't get very hot compare to samsung P9. The 3 fans are very quiet.

Buzzing - No problem here. Unless you intend to put your ear right next to the rear of the unit all day long.

Black - The blacks are quite good, second only to Kuro. It still look good even when I watch in the dark.

Cons:

Matte screen under bright lighting - Why on earth pana. decided to do a anti glare screen, it does not work!!

This only encourages shop people to put your plasma under bright lighting and the blacks look all wash out!!

This causes many people not to buy your plasma because it look so crap under shop conditions.

If you are buying this TV and your intention to put it under bright places in your home it will work as BAD as buying

a non anti-glare plasma screen. Some might say worst, since the blacks become greyish.

In the end I would say this is the 2nd best T.V after the 50" 1080p Kuro. hehehe :)

With a street price of half of the kuro best price, its a sure buy.

Any other owners of PZ700 care to give their comments.

Edited by byt

I don't own one, but was looking at getting one, and your feedback is very useful, thanks. Only thing that makes me nervous is the 5000:1 contrast ratio, which seems quite low, even compared to the other pana models.

Do you think it makes any difference, or am I hung up about a triviality?

Does greater CR make a difference under brighter lighting, or is that irrelevant?

This is the TV destined for the new house, and I'm not sure how bright the room will be. I certainly loved the PQ in the showroom, but the room was quite dim.

Edited by John G

I don't own one, but was looking at getting one, and your feedback is very useful, thanks. Only thing that makes me nervous is the 5000:1 contrast ratio, which seems quite low, even compared to the other pana models.

Does greater CR make a difference under brighter lighting, or is that irrelevant?

This is the TV destined for the new house, and I'm not sure how bright the room will be. I certainly loved the PQ in the showroom, but the room was quite dim.

I think is a fact that 1080p plasma is less bright then non 1080p ,

even the Kuro 1080p I read a review that says its not as bright as the non 1080p kuros.

But these should be bright enough in a normal home where you have curtains for all your windows to blockout the sunlights.

And watching under fluroscent lighting is no PROBLEM at all!

ONly thing is that when there are some sun light that do shines on the TV screen, it can be quite painful to watch. But I guess

this is true for any other plasma too.

Yes I was crazilly caught up with the 5000:1 contrast ratio.

And to rub it in, Singaporeans are getting the 10000:1 contrast ratio for their PY700(equivalent to our PZ700),

U.K the cheaper model PZ70 (Not PZ700, U.K PZ700 is still 5000:1) also has 10000:1 contrast ratio.

So not sure what pana is doing, do they just change their spec. since everyone is marking up their contrast spec.???

When I watch DVD last night I forgot that this TV only has 5000:1 contrast ratio!

That's all I can say. DVD is really fantastic!

Guest cemalley

I don't have any problem with brightness even on the Normal our Auto seting with brightness set at 50% and quite a bit of light during the day.

I do see some benefit to the anit-glare screen.

We get some light in during the day and I think it makes the screen much more watchable than I would expect from other plasmas based on the reflections they have when I have viewed them.

As to contrast ratio it may seem low compared to some other plasmas but is still a lot higher than the real contrast ratio of LCDs and some other screens.

I have no issues with picture quality on this TV.

Guest cemalley
DVD using my Sony upscaling DVD player through HDMI is VERY Impressive. I thought I was watching blue-ray.

What model DVD player do you have?

With mine I thought the upscaling of the TV was better than that of the DVD player.

What model DVD player do you have?

With mine I thought the upscaling of the TV was better than that of the DVD player.

Sony DVP-NS76H.

Actually I'm not sure which is doing the upscaling, it just shows 1080i on the TV and the pic. looks terrific I can't be bothered to see what was set on the DVD player.

How long have you got yours?

Sony DVP-NS76H.

Actually I'm not sure which is doing the upscaling, it just shows 1080i on the TV and the pic. looks terrific I can't be bothered to see what was set on the DVD player.

How long have you got yours?

If the TV says it's displaying 1080i then that will be the signal its receiving i.e. the DVD player is doing the actual upscaling.

Reason for the lower contrast on 1080p Plasmas is that the TV has to provide brightness for double the pixel numbers (over 2 millions pixels for 1080p compared to 1 million on a 720p set).

Even though the TV is much sharper and colours much richer the brightness - especially in harsh lit retailers - looks a lot less. You won't notice once the TV is in your loungeroom unless you have afternoon sun shining directly on to it (who would??).

RE: playing DVD movies on the 50PZ700A

I've been told that DVD movies will look better thru an upscaling device such as PS3 (then thru a standard DVD player).... is this correct?

If this is correct, can some devices be recommended?

THX in advance.

RE: playing DVD movies on the 50PZ700A

I've been told that DVD movies will look better thru an upscaling device such as PS3 (then thru a standard DVD player).... is this correct?

If this is correct, can some devices be recommended?

THX in advance.

As PAL DVDs only have 576 lines of resolution when played on a 1080p Plasma they should be upscaled to 720p/1080p to make use of the full resolution. Some upscaling DVD players do an ok job, some better than others. As the regular upscaling DVD players cost between $200-$300, why not look at the entry level HD-DVD player (HD-E1) which is currently around $400-$500 street price but the current $100 Toshiba rebate brings the price back down a little. This way you get a great upscaling DVD player as well as an HD-DVD player to keep you busy until the format war in HD land is decided. You really need HD-DVD or Blu Ray to really show the Panny 50" off.

If you're on a budget then the Pioneer HDMI upscaling player is not too bad for around $200.

Edited by mrmaxwell

Reason for the lower contrast on 1080p Plasmas is that the TV has to provide brightness for double the pixel numbers (over 2 millions pixels for 1080p compared to 1 million on a 720p set).

Don't think that is correct.

The 65" and 58" pana models both have 10,000:1 ratios.

Even the overseas versions of this model are 10,000:1 (e.g. Panasonic USA)

Not sure why ours is different.

In any case, all your reviews have been glowing, so it comes down to this, or the (now) much cheaper Hitachi P50X01.

As PAL DVDs only have 576 lines of resolution when played on a 1080p Plasma they should be upscaled to 720p/1080p to make use of the full resolution. Some upscaling DVD players do an ok job, some better than others.

Why do you need an upscaling DVD player when the Plasma will take an input signal an scale it to suit the native resolution anyway? Couldn't you stick with your current DVD player and use the scaler in the TV?

The PZ70 (newer, cheaper model in the UK), has both 24p support and 10000:1 contrast ratio...

re: 24p, there's a huge controversy about it, the PZ70 doesn't actually support the "real 24p processing". But no point getting into this. Since I believe its irrelevant for 98% of the consumers.

Actually the price I got and the group buy for PZ is actually cheaper than the PZ700 selling in U.K.

Pana. decided not to bring the PZ70 cheaper model to OZ therefore they are reducing the price of the PZ700 by a lot in Oz.

Don't think that is correct.

The 65" and 58" pana models both have 10,000:1 ratios.

Even the overseas versions of this model are 10,000:1 (e.g. Panasonic USA)

Not sure why ours is different.

In any case, all your reviews have been glowing, so it comes down to this, or the (now) much cheaper Hitachi P50X01.

I believe in U.S the PZ750 the the equivalent of our PZ700 and both are only 5000:1 contrast ratio for both the 42" and 50"

the newer cheaper PZ do have 10000:1

Why do you need an upscaling DVD player when the Plasma will take an input signal an scale it to suit the native resolution anyway? Couldn't you stick with your current DVD player and use the scaler in the TV?

Yes that's correct the PZ does do the upscaling. I just happens to have a upscaling DVD player bought since 1 year ago.

But anyway upscaling DVD player these days are so cheap can get one for $100-$150

Just thought I 'd let you guys know that Panasonic is out of 50" PZ panels until Jan 2008.

If you want one, I suggest you go and get it now before they all sell out.

This is what I hear, I cant confirm how true this is though!

Edited by automan

I don't have any problem with brightness even on the Normal our Auto seting with brightness set at 50% and quite a bit of light during the day.

I do see some benefit to the anit-glare screen.

We get some light in during the day and I think it makes the screen much more watchable than I would expect from other plasmas based on the reflections they have when I have viewed them.

As to contrast ratio it may seem low compared to some other plasmas but is still a lot higher than the real contrast ratio of LCDs and some other screens.

I have no issues with picture quality on this TV.

Morning,

Not sure if it is true or not, but I heard along the grapevine that the human eye is only capable of distinguishing contast up to about 1000:1.

If so, the figures quoted over 1000:1 is purely advertising!

Can any "optometrists" provide feedback!

Hey

How much calibration does this set need or warrant?

Would a $60 Bluray or woteva disc be good enough

IS the PQ out of the box good enough that it doesn't really need any calibration?

Looking to buy this set just interested in the out-of-the-box PQ.

Guest cemalley
Hey

How much calibration does this set need or warrant?

Would a $60 Bluray or woteva disc be good enough

IS the PQ out of the box good enough that it doesn't really need any calibration?

I did some basic calibration but found the standard "Normal" option is pretty much right at least for brightness and contrast.

IMO you would still need to adjust the PQ to suit your viewing environment. Someone who has a brightly lit room (alot of windows) would have it setup differently to someone who has darker environs. Your particular AV equipment hooked up to it and the type of connections are such a variable (ie almost everyone's setup would be different), that the out-of-the-box would be a good starting point, but that's about it. Oh yeah, first thing to do is take it off dynamic setting!

I have the 50PZ700a and am having some issues with sounds cut out for a few seconds, every few minutes. Only seems to happen via HDMI and I currently connect it from my Dell XPS1330. Anyone else having HDMI sounds issues?

Just bought one. Picture looks fine, though when watching a BluRay through a PS3 via HDMI @ 1080p, I thought there was some lack of detail in black areas. Might just be the disc (Shooter), or perhaps I need to adjust the picture in some way. It just loooked as if the contrast was up too high, but it wouldn't let me turn it down. I'll have to check it out again.

The remote (on mine anyway) is an absolute dog! Doesn't work if its more than just a few degrees off-axis. I have to point is straight at the receptor. Does anyone else have this problem or should I take the remote back? Probably won't matter in the long run as I'll program it into my Pronto.

Dave.

Just bought one. Picture looks fine, though when watching a BluRay through a PS3 via HDMI @ 1080p, I thought there was some lack of detail in black areas. Might just be the disc (Shooter), or perhaps I need to adjust the picture in some way. It just loooked as if the contrast was up too high, but it wouldn't let me turn it down. I'll have to check it out again.

The remote (on mine anyway) is an absolute dog! Doesn't work if its more than just a few degrees off-axis. I have to point is straight at the receptor. Does anyone else have this problem or should I take the remote back? Probably won't matter in the long run as I'll program it into my Pronto.

Dave.

I have a 42pz700 and I have noticed the same with the remote - very narrow range a lot of the time.

Has anyone got the service menu codes for these yet? I want to keep an eye on the hours so that when my 200hrs is up I can take it off "Cinema" which is the preffered run-in mode (low contrast etc.)

And if anyone is interested I got it for $2630 from JB HiFi Melbourne (City Store) - I know it is cheaper elsewhere but I also got a Sony STRDG910 for $830 and they dropped all my HDMI and audio cables to somethign approaching reasonable.

Also, looks superb on PS3 - 720P games like Ghost Recon, Dirt and Resistance FOM look great. Gran Turisom HD (demo) looks AWESOME , can't wait till the full version, c'mon SONY!

Foxtel is crapola (have high-end scart to component) but this is expected - Married with Children scaled up is always going to be bad, hopefully Foxtel HD will be out early next year. I am just watching a whole lot more FTA and enjoying the better resolution there.

I have been trawlling these forums for about tweo years, it feels good to actually post something!

Dave.

The lack of adjustability of contrast when using BluRay on HDMI turned out to be a red herring. It was just the unresponsive remote control. At least it isn't the TV anyway, the Pronto has no problem.

Dave.