Sign in to follow this  
Oz_Arab

New Foxtel Hd

I'm currently working for Foxtel to deal with Customer Satisfaction and not too many people seem interested in the new HD Foxtel package which wll be $15 extra for Sport/Docu/Movie channels to be in HD (plus on the new Premium iQ box you get more storage space etc)

You obviously need an HD accepted TV but do you think thats a good deal? Views?

Not particularly. But then as a former non-IQ subscriber I thought I was paying way too much for what I was getting as it was. The December price rise announcement was what finally pushed me over the edge to cancel my service.

Maybe if I could also record FTA HD I could live with it, but lack of HD general content is also a problem given my low level of sport interest (cricket aside).

I also really don't trust Foxtel that much when it comes to their compression skills.

And what will happen when they add another HD channel and another etc......more price increase far enough no one is forced to take it on but a few months ago I was paying $79 for the premium service now its $101+ that $79 was my limit

cheers laurie

A "few" months ago it was $79? I started early last year, when I reckon Platinum was $99.95. Last December it went to $101.95, then next month it will go to $105.95. When exactly was it $79?

Just out of curiosity, what resolution do Foxtel broadcast in now? Isn't it 720i?

There's no such thing as 720i. The 1280x720 HD format is only in progressive format - i.e 720p.

With 480 and 576, there's both the i and p format - i.e 480i,480p,576i,576p.

Foxtel are currently outputting 576i.

I wonder how well the HD IQ will deinterlace and scale when outputting 720p or 576p when the source material is interlaced. It will be interesting the see how it compares to my Sharp LCD TV.

The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

Does this mean that Showtime and Movie One/Two won't be available in the HD package? That would be a bit disappointing if the only movies in HD were Boxoffice ones.

Does this mean that Showtime and Movie One/Two won't be available in the HD package? That would be a bit disappointing if the only movies in HD were Boxoffice ones.

Its only to start with, but never fear other Movie channels should get the green light later next year

sounds like an interesting job. can you tell us what kind of hardware they will be selling us us. From your previous posts, can I assume that as a current IQ Platinum subscriber, I will need to pay $199 for setup and an additional $5 per month subs? For this I will get 2 additional HD sport channels, 2 HD doco channels and all movies on demand in HD?

thanks again,

Roo

Not sure yet about the Hardware but i can tell you are correct with your assumption apart from the fact that the Set-Up fee could be anywhere between $99 and $249, still undetermined

If every channel on foxtel was the same quality as say showtime or fox sports, then sure, i'd be willing to pay a bit extra for HD channels; but until we get quality SD channels, you can forget paying any extra.

Do we get the first year of HD free, due to the **** quality of the current channels?

Current ESPN got to be upconverted 320 x 240?

Couldn't agree more, i refuse to watch soccer on ESPN, you cant even make out the players ffs.

I blame the lack of competition in the pay-tv market for the majority of foxtels woes, i suppose the lack of subscribers compared to the rest of the western world doesnt help either.

The Foxtel service is costing more and more. Currently we get lousy PQ and adverts for over $100 a month.

Now we are going to pay a premium for a few HD channels.

How HD are the HD channels going to be?

Every three years my Foxtel subscription adds up to a large screen HD TV. Am I getting value for money?

You can have all the content in the world but if most of that content is close to unwatchable what's the point?

I have been a subscriber for a long, long time but my patience is running out.

I'm looking for a decent deal on this HD service in 2008.

I hoping Oz_Arab is now getting the message ;)

cheers laurie

Let's hope so - and hopefully a few foxtel execs are reading this as well...

This is a crucial time for foxtel, with FTA networks starting HD channels, SD multichannels to come - Seven bringing out Tivo next year - Foxtel should be worried. This isn't like England where the FTA networks don't have the financial muscle to outbid pay-tv for major sporting events and programming - you can already look at Ten who have picked up NFL and Nascar.

If foxtel isn't prepared to invest a lot of money, bring their service up to scratch and make it available at more competitive prices then they might be in a bit of trouble.

By the way, do you know if foxtel has ever considered anything like the free satellite service that Sky UK has - http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

IMO it would be the best way for Foxtel to compete with tivo... although you would need to get all the FTA networks on board.

As much as i'd personally love it aswell, its not in Foxtels plans but i can certainly pass these comments and get back to you when i know anything else as some of you (Laurie) seem to think i'm Foxtels CEO :P

Let's hope so - and hopefully a few foxtel execs are reading this as well...

This is a crucial time for foxtel, with FTA networks starting HD channels, SD multichannels to come - Seven bringing out Tivo next year - Foxtel should be worried. This isn't like England where the FTA networks don't have the financial muscle to outbid pay-tv for major sporting events and programming - you can already look at Ten who have picked up NFL and Nascar.

If foxtel isn't prepared to invest a lot of money, bring their service up to scratch and make it available at more competitive prices then they might be in a bit of trouble.

I'd love to see an HD IQ - the more channels the better. Sport and movie channels on true HD please - then I'd pay extra

If they don't roll out enough channels to start, it won't be popular enough to penetrate the market

As much as i'd personally love it aswell, its not in Foxtels plans but i can certainly pass these comments and get back to you when i know anything else as some of you (Laurie) seem to think i'm Foxtels CEO :P

The best thing about it, from foxtel's point of view, is that it would very quickly see the number of people with a foxtel box in their home increase. Foxtel would quickly become the norm...

I'll pay the $15 extra if it reduces the amount of f*cking nonstop adverts shown on foxtel!! It is seriously getting beyond a joke, some shows it feels like there is as many minutes of ads as the actual show !!

I thought the whole point of PayTV is no ads and more shows?? the subscription cost pays for the shows, not adverts like FTA ??????

In fact with 24mb ADSL2+ and bittorrent my foxtel is becoming less and less used, even with IQ... that $15 almost cover the jump from 80 to 120GB a month d/l allowance!!