Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

And yet you make another post, why would you do that when you have no interest in this thread and no-one cares what you think?

Your a funny guy, you complain about him making another post in thread he has no interest in and you believe no one cares what he thinks. Yet your reply is a question inviting him to reply.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chadstone shopping centre has Foxtel satellite. the booths are most certainly real Foxtel - you can play with the boxes, change channels, etc. the Telstra T-Life store on the lower ground floor also has Foxtel HD.

The actual stores are a different matter as it's much easier to install a cable to the roof, but kiosks are a much more difficult situation as kiosks are normally only provisioned with power and phone. It would cost thousands to install the required coax cabling which is not justifiable in temporary kiosk locations. Permanent kiosks where they are paying $40k+ annual rent it is justifiable.

The actual stores are a different matter as it's much easier to install a cable to the roof, but kiosks are a much more difficult situation as kiosks are normally only provisioned with power and phone. It would cost thousands to install the required coax cabling which is not justifiable in temporary kiosk locations. Permanent kiosks where they are paying $40k+ annual rent it is justifiable.

*shrug*

I have never seen a kiosk (in Chadstone or anywhere else) that doesn't have a Foxtel service. the "temporary" kiosk locations (at least in Chadstone) move around from time to time between locations where the sat is cabled to. there are at least three such locations, more if you include the T-Life store.

Those Foxtel booths are not a live Foxtel service since it would be difficult and painful to get the required cabling connected for a temporary kiosk. It's just a DVD playing a loop and obviously a DVD isn't going to show HD quality.

The HD playing at the kiosks is usually a recording off the IQ2 that they have there.

Edited by wheelz

The HD playing at the kiosks is usually a recording off the IQ2 that they have there.

as mentioned already, this cannot be the case when you can happily play around with the IQ2 and change channels. it really is a live service. try it for yourself - I do :)

perhaps these temporary kiosks with no Foxtel feed really do exist, but every one I've ever seen is live.

as mentioned already, this cannot be the case when you can happily play around with the IQ2 and change channels. it really is a live service. try it for yourself - I do :)

perhaps these temporary kiosks with no Foxtel feed really do exist, but every one I've ever seen is live.

Wasnt refering to your post,obviously if you can change channels and such its live,was talking of the temporary ones,the point i was making to davmel was that these days they use recordings on the IQ's rather than the dvd loop disc's they used too.

Going to a new rental.

Some rooms have normal t.v. ports, some have ports labelled Foxtel, and some have both.

We have never had Foxtel.

Can I plug a normal tv for FTA into the Foxtel port or do I need a special adapter.

Are there any pitfalls?

You wont recieve fta by connecting your tv to a foxtel port unless it is connected to the antenna which i doubt it is.Give it a try wont hurt anything.

Edited by wheelz

Give it a try wont hurt anything.

Hah,i wouldn't say that. there is a decent amount of electricity running through a foxtel cable connection (remember the spliters outside the house are power-pass). Enough to be amplified by a DVB-T STB and break it in some circumstances.

W. are now showing native HD episodes of the price is right! looks fantastic!!

Thanks W!

Until they revert to 2007 episodes - Foxtel dont seem to be consistant with TPIR they showed the HD episodes now on Foxtel HD, earlier last year on W ( not in HD) as W was not HD until November last year then they followed with 4:3 versions for several months (from 2007 ) until this week.

My betting is that they will go with the 2008 HD shows for a couple of months then revert to 4:3 versions from 2007.

I bet that the 2009 series will not air before they revert to 2007 repeats.

Jeopardy is a disgrace they have been widescreen digital for several years now however Foxtel in their wisdom insists in buying the 4:3 versions of this show.

Edited by robertr

• 2 weeks later...

Completed this change on the weekend.

So easy and the software is a dream (had to use the latest beta, not stable)

Did it with this HDD

Western Digital 1TB SATAII 32M 3GB/s(WD1001FALS)

http://umart.com.au/member/products_item.p...=9719&bid=2

Went from nearly full to 83% free which is about right as 1TB gives you about 5.2x more capacity.

Only problem is now I have 5x more stuff I don't have time to watch :-)

But hopefully I will have less deletes when I start watching a program and forget to hit the keep button and it gets written over.

I've read this thread and I'm a little confused on how I should set things up.

I have a Pace 250 box on satellite that I want to connect to my TV using SCART out on the fox box >Component in on the TV, then in the fox box setup I change the picture format to be YUV. This bit I think is OK.

Then on the second SCART output from the fox box I was going to connect my PVR-HDD (Panasonic DMR XW 350) using SCART out on fox box > S-Video in PVR as thats the best input this PVR has. Is this possible, considering the fox box will be set to YUV output?

I havent bought the cables yet... so just wanted to check first. Any advice is appreciated!!

Then on the second SCART output from the fox box I was going to connect my PVR-HDD (Panasonic DMR XW 350) using SCART out on fox box > S-Video in PVR as thats the best input this PVR has. Is this possible, considering the fox box will be set to YUV output?

No, some extracts from the FAQ:-

Remember the only time you will get S-Video out the video-Scart is when you set the box to output S-Video from the tv-Scart, so you cannot have Component from the (tv)Scart and S-Video from the (video)Scart at the same time.

Component(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) YUV setting

OR RGB(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) RGB setting

OR S-Video(scart(tv) socket) & S-Video(scart(video) socket) S-Video setting

OR Composite(scart(tv) socket) & Composite(scart(video) socket) PAL setting

I noticed last night that some programs on FS 1, 2, 3 HD only had the 'widescreen' icon and not 'HD' eg the domestic one dayer in Tassie said it was only widescreen, although it seemed to me that the game was in HD and the basketball that said it was HD wasn't

Edited by doodlefeatures

Hi all new to this forum

I went ot get Foxtel IQ2 Hd yesterday, they sign me up etc etc and i happy, tells me will call me in a hour to confirm date for install.

He calls and says I have bad news for you, your apartment block cant have IQ or IQ2, I'm like wtf, he tells me i can only get standard version Foxtel and I guess hole reason I wanted IQ was because I could record as most programs I want to watch happen during the day or late at night

Can someone please explain why this would be, I thought it would all just come through same stuff??

Confused

Hi all. This is my issue too. Can anyone just tighten me up on possible solutions? Is it that a whole new additional cable would need to be run from the dish to all foxtel sockets (there's 16 apartments)? And so, if I'm that desperate to get IQ to my apartment, I'll need to run that new cable to my apartment. At my cost but the Foxtel doods might be able to feed that cabling through to the apartment for me right?

Appreciate any replies or links to where this issue has been discussed previously and/or in greater depth. Thanks!!

I had my IQ2 installed yesterday and im finding that sports are very jerky (cricket and the soccer) anyone else notice this or have a remedy because it will annoy me after awhile.

Watching the cricket now o my IQ2 and the picture is great, no jerkiness at all.

I'll have a look but last nights ch9 20/20 replay was jerky on the long shots as is the A-league thats on now.

None here perfect do a reset and see if that helps sounds like its doing some maintenance on the drive consuming CPU power just a thought

cheers laurie

I had my IQ2 installed yesterday and im finding that sports are very jerky (cricket and the soccer) anyone else notice this or have a remedy because it will annoy me after awhile.

When i first got my IQ 2 installed about a year and a bit ago it did the same thing the picture just eventually froze and the box stopped working i rang them up and they replaced my box never had a problem since.