Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

Yeah I got hit with the $400. I didn't realise you had to pay it twice (one for lounge room and one for bed room), so it was a bit of a shock.

They told me I'll also be paying $155 per month....Platinum HD in the lounge room and bed room. ($130.90 + $10 + $14.95). I thought it would only be $140.90?

They told me I'd be paying $160.8 per month.... Platinum HD + another iQ2 + an iQ (130.90 + 14.95 + 14.95) I hope they haven't told me the wrong amount.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They told me I'd be paying $160.8 per month.... Platinum HD + another iQ2 + an iQ (130.90 + 14.95 + 14.95) I hope they haven't told me the wrong amount.

Very strange.....I've only got two standard boxes at the moment. I'll have an IQ2 in the lounge room and bed room when this is setup. I'll have to double check the price when they install it.

Very strange.....I've only got two standard boxes at the moment. I'll have an IQ2 in the lounge room and bed room when this is setup. I'll have to double check the price when they install it.

The website does say "$10 per month per outlet after $200 upgrade fee" I'm starting to think they have misquoted me ;(

I'm surprised that Foxtel cannot get rid of a few channels to make way for more HD content first get rid of those 2hr+ channels knock off a few fbo channels!

cheers laurie

Which do you think would be making them more money...FBO channels or an extra HD channel or two? PLus i quite like the +2 hr channles. I dont get to watch a lot of shows at prime time due to other commitments with the family, so catch them 2 hours later. Very handy for me.

Saw the HD channels on the IQ2 today, they look mighty fine. Wasn't much on them that interested me, but hey they looked good. Although makes you appreciate how bad the SD channels look even more than usual.

Where did you see this? At a Foxtel booth or elsewhere? WOndering whether the foxtel booths are pre-showing the IQ2 and HD service now? Might wander down to Northlands and have a looksee since they have one of the new booths.

Which do you think would be making them more money...FBO channels or an extra HD channel or two? PLus i quite like the +2 hr channles. I dont get to watch a lot of shows at prime time due to other commitments with the family, so catch them 2 hours later. Very handy for me.

And that's exactly the reason why they don't get rid of the +2 hr channels. Not everybody has IQ and not everybody is at home to watch TV when their shows are on. As far as some of the ****ing about content is concerned, everybody has different tastes and if nobody was watching those channels then they'd go under and no longer transmit.

Sure, an extra HD channel or two would make more money for Foxtel... right now. If you're thinking with a business head on, why would you remove the five channels or so necessary for a new HD channel at launch and also pay extra for the content you'll be screening on it when you can do so in a year's time and keep what you have at the moment (and keep current subscriber's happy rather than the smaller percentage who'll be early adopters)?

Why do Foxtel keep the channel line-up they have at the moment? Because people watch it!

Where did you see this? At a Foxtel booth or elsewhere? WOndering whether the foxtel booths are pre-showing the IQ2 and HD service now? Might wander down to Northlands and have a looksee since they have one of the new booths.

northlands huh, its called northland ..... learn to speak english correctly please

I'm getting more and more tempted to sign up - even though I'm not too sure of the value of it. I mean, an extra $10 per month for the iQ2 could be good as we would use the Foxtel more and probably get more value out of our subscription - no more missing shows etc (I can tape On The Couch and watch it in my own time without commercials - partner can watch Judge Judy without sticking to the 6pm timeslot)

However a few questions:

1. Does anyone think it will be worth having the iQ2 without the HD channels? Will it still be just the $10 per month

2. Is there a contract with the iQ2?

3. Can I remove the channels anytime I want? ie once footy season is over, can I ditch sports HD with no penalty?

4. In everyones personal opinion - is with worth getting an iQ2 in Canberra where we dont have FTA through Foxtel? I know people bag out the MyStar but if only the iQ2 had DVB-T for us Satellite regional people...

5. I dont suppose Austar could fix me up with a MyStar in Canberra?

Any one know if 9HD will be available on cable in Adelaide?

I realise Nine Digital isnt, thanks WIN!!!, just wondered if the HD channel was a local thing or transmitted "Centrally"

Not sure how many times it has been answered in this thread however no it will not be.

"Patrick Delany — that all free-to-air (FTA) HD channels will be available via cable in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Meanwhile, Adelaide and Perth cable subscribers will have access to all FTA HD channels except 9HD"

http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/pvr/0,239035...00.htm?feed=rss

Just rang up and organized installation for the 10th June. The CSR was extremely helpful and well informed, I went for just the xtra $10 for rental and HD sports. One thing that I have not seen mentioned is the issue of all your old IQ programs, there is no "official" option to transfer your recorded programs to the new IQ2 except for making your old IQ into a multi-room option. A simple data transfer should of been an option between IQ1 & IQ2 IMO.

Edited by annonoruss

What are the connection possibilities for the IQ2? For example, can I connect to my amp via HDMI but also directly to the display (hopefully via component + audio or if not svideo+audio) for when I don't want/need to use the amp?

What are the connection possibilities for the IQ2? For example, can I connect to my amp via HDMI but also directly to the display (hopefully via component + audio or if not svideo+audio) for when I don't want/need to use the amp?

I have a decent HD ready CRT, which I will be hooking up via component, I assume the PQ will be decent on this, its 1080i.

The connection possibilities are on the Foxtel HD page.

I'm getting more and more tempted to sign up - even though I'm not too sure of the value of it. I mean, an extra $10 per month for the iQ2 could be good as we would use the Foxtel more and probably get more value out of our subscription - no more missing shows etc (I can tape On The Couch and watch it in my own time without commercials - partner can watch Judge Judy without sticking to the 6pm timeslot)

However a few questions:

1. Does anyone think it will be worth having the iQ2 without the HD channels? Will it still be just the $10 per month

2. Is there a contract with the iQ2?

3. Can I remove the channels anytime I want? ie once footy season is over, can I ditch sports HD with no penalty?

4. In everyones personal opinion - is with worth getting an iQ2 in Canberra where we dont have FTA through Foxtel? I know people bag out the MyStar but if only the iQ2 had DVB-T for us Satellite regional people...

5. I dont suppose Austar could fix me up with a MyStar in Canberra?

1. Unless you require the extra storage space , or want HD movies i cant see much advantage. Although the HDMI connection may interest some.

2. No , no contract.

3. Yes you can remove the channels at anytime - no penalty.

The box has full time HDMI, component, s-video, composite, digital audio (looks like optical and coax). So you can use all those outputs all at once. As well as two SCART connectors that I would guess work exactly like the current SCART connectors do.

Here is a link to a pic of the back of it - Back of iQ2

Edited by Hosko

I have IQ1 at present and I am organised for FoxHD/IQ2 on 020608. I was hoping someone could help me. In order to record to DVDR from my IQ1, I transfer the video signal to my HDD/DVDR via SVHS. This is the best I can do.

I see now that there are HDD/DVDR's with Scart imputs on them which would mean that I can get a better video transfer for recording (at component level via scart). With the IQ2 I see that I can run the HDMI output to my Plasma. Scart output to a HDD/DVDR and the optical audios to the amp, giving me the best transfer of signal to the components that I want. Is this possible or is it to early to know if IQ2 will let you transfer in this way.

Edited by Cratra

I thought an iQ was good value before 7 and 10 were available to record on it. I would guess it comes down to if you wanted HD or not. I personally wouldn't find it good value unless you had the HD channels as well. But some people want a big hard drive. I already have two iQ's in the home so if one fills up I just record to the other. That way I already have quad tuner capability.

Not sure how many times it has been answered in this thread however no it will not be.

"Patrick Delany — that all free-to-air (FTA) HD channels will be available via cable in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and the Gold Coast. Meanwhile, Adelaide and Perth cable subscribers will have access to all FTA HD channels except 9HD"

http://www.cnet.com.au/dvdpvr/pvr/0,239035...00.htm?feed=rss

You missed the last bit out - "However, satellite subscribers will likely have to wait till 2009 to access HD FTA channels."

That'll be the deal breaker for people in Adelaide in Perth i reckon

For each IQ2 you add to your bill, it'll cost $24.95. $10 for IQ2 service fee, $14.95 for the multiroom.

For each IQ you have (if you have IQ2), it'll cost $14.95.

Just another dumb question, we have two separate outlets, not multiroom, one with an IQ1 and the other a standard box.

If I sign up for HD premium the $130.90 cost will cover for HD and one IQ2, but how much will the other HD box cost (after

intallation), $10, $14.95 or $24.95 ? I'm confused.

You missed the last bit out - "However, satellite subscribers will likely have to wait till 2009 to access HD FTA channels."

That'll be the deal breaker for people in Adelaide in Perth i reckon

2009 isn't that far away! although it will not be until the end of 2009, no doubt.

I can't believe how much people are paying for their foxtel each month,

I thought my non IQ $75 a month was heaps.

No they would like me to pay another $24.95 a month and $200 to get 5 HD channels,

I think I will wait.

It would be so bad if I could tailor my other package to not include shite that I don't watch,

but they are not designed that way.