Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

it'll make it close to $145 per month for me :angry: i have a normal foxtel box in the bedroom and IQ in the lounge room... I can't see myself paying that much, but i'll wait and see.. might drop a few channels.. but platinum is so handy!

That's what I'm paying at the moment. However, I'll find another $15 if they start showing Football/American Football in HD.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEW INFORMATION

-- Foxtel are looking to charge $199 for a Set Up Fee Plus $15 per month Charge for HD TV but this may change

-- The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

FOR CURRENT iQ CUSTOMERS

-- The payment format will change. Customers can pay a 1 off Fee of $50 and then only pay $5 per month for their iQ Box Subscription

If one of those new HD Sports channels replaces the current ESPN with HD ESPN it will be worth $15! Current ESPN got to be upconverted 320 x 240?

Interesting to see where the HD sport's coming from:

Premier League Soccer, Some AFL (Sat night games min.). US NFL, NHL, NBA, Baseball. I can't see much else unless there's going to be a bit more Oz stuff? What else from UK/Europe? Maybe some car racing from US too? Any ideas?

Last time I watched Nine's HD cricket it made me puke. That ain't HD Mr. Packer!

Edited by HomerJ

NEW INFORMATION

-- The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

Hi All,

Hoping someone can answer this one for me - I'm a Foxtel subscriber living in an apartment block and receiving my service via Satellite (shared backbone in the building).

Will this new service offering be coming down off the new satellite they have been on about? It was suggested that when the change to HD comes that it will bring with it the ability for me to use FBO and other alternate polarity features that I am not able to get today.

Any updated comments on this and whether it is likely in light of HD being around the corner?

Cheers,

Dr.

Will this new service offering be coming down off the new satellite they have been on about? It was suggested that when the change to HD comes that it will bring with it the ability for me to use FBO and other alternate polarity features that I am not able to get today.

The New Sat is being designed to only use the one polarity, which will mean any service placed on the new sat you'll be able to view. However Foxtel is planning on launching HD before the new sat is launched, HD should be launched mid 2008 and the new sat goes up 2009.

Interesting to see where the HD sport's coming from:

Premier League Soccer, Some AFL (Sat night games min.). US NFL, NHL, NBA, Baseball. I can't see much else unless there's going to be a bit more Oz stuff? What else from UK/Europe? Maybe some car racing from US too? Any ideas?

Last time I watched Nine's HD cricket it made me puke. That ain't HD Mr. Packer!

I'd say that if they are going to invest in a HD channel they are going to need to start producing some of their own sport in HD, I'm hoping for maybe 1-2 AFL games a week, maybe one NRL game a week, one or two A-league games each week etc.

But overseas content will definately be a big part of it.

I've just moved to singapore... can't get the Singtel IP TV HD (most buildings are not wired for it yet.... and there's only one FTA channel with HD.. and two, yes 2 subscription HD channels nat geo and Discovery) ... going with Starhub PVR box (most channels anyway) ... seriously ... Foxtel IQ is soooo much better.... I can't believe I miss Foxtel and Beyonwiz so much .... Singapore is about 4-5 years behind Australia in HDTV gear and service.....

the starhub 'Hubstation' (the local equivalent to IQ) is pre-historic comparing it to Foxtel .... two tuners, but only record one programme at a time .... SD quality is seriously atrocious... no Dolby digital out, EPG is cumbersome, with limited information (2 lines is a good sumary here) and only 3 days ahead, no series link, ALL channels are 4:3 streched ... no options to choose 16:9 panel or non stretch .... no remote record .. no auto bookmarking .... in comparisson of PQ ... it makes foxtel IQ almost look HD in comparison ... crazy stuf huh???

The lack of decent HD TV here was a key factor in making me get a PS3 for BR ... I already had a Toshiba E1 (not a sony fan) .... but I dearly miss HD content.... chanel 10, 9 & 7 in HD! Ah.... fond memories!!!! Good times....

I'm already looking forward to our come back in a few years time to have Foxtel HD, BW HD AND Tivo HD .... life will be back to 'normal' .... :)

So that $15 a month is added to the normal subscription, and includes the recording capability as well as HD?

Please clarify the second point - are you saying that the HD sport channels (for example) aren't included in the normal sports package, so in reality if you want the HD sport channels you have to pay the $15 a month as well as $10 extra for the HD sports channel subscription? Because that's pretty stupid...

Can people who are not current IQ subscribers take advantage of the new payment format for the IQ?

I'll ask someone for you about your first question but yes, anyone can take up this upcoming payment iQ format

Don't want to be seen rude if you work for Foxtel why not your full name as far as I know you could work for Select TV or Optus or whoever else... Oz Arab?

cheers laurie

ps if you do I'm downgrading due to your outrages increases and stick to FTA HD

I was a member of this board before i starting working on behalf of Foxtel for my current job. I'm not emplyed by them but am working on the upcoming HD Revolution for them at a company called Unity 4.

I was a member of this board before i starting working on behalf of Foxtel for my current job. I'm not emplyed by them but am working on the upcoming HD Revolution for them at a company called Unity 4.
I'm currently working for Foxtel to deal with Customer Satisfaction

Fair enough but your introduction had me confused good luck

cheers laurie

Guest RooAvery

sounds like an interesting job. can you tell us what kind of hardware they will be selling us us. From your previous posts, can I assume that as a current IQ Platinum subscriber, I will need to pay $199 for setup and an additional $5 per month subs? For this I will get 2 additional HD sport channels, 2 HD doco channels and all movies on demand in HD?

thanks again,

Roo

I'm currently working for Foxtel to deal with Customer Satisfaction and not too many people seem interested in the new HD Foxtel package which wll be $15 extra for Sport/Docu/Movie channels to be in HD (plus on the new Premium iQ box you get more storage space etc)

You obviously need an HD accepted TV but do you think thats a good deal? Views?

Not particularly. But then as a former non-IQ subscriber I thought I was paying way too much for what I was getting as it was. The December price rise announcement was what finally pushed me over the edge to cancel my service.

Maybe if I could also record FTA HD I could live with it, but lack of HD general content is also a problem given my low level of sport interest (cricket aside).

I also really don't trust Foxtel that much when it comes to their compression skills.

And what will happen when they add another HD channel and another etc......more price increase far enough no one is forced to take it on but a few months ago I was paying $79 for the premium service now its $101+ that $79 was my limit

cheers laurie

A "few" months ago it was $79? I started early last year, when I reckon Platinum was $99.95. Last December it went to $101.95, then next month it will go to $105.95. When exactly was it $79?

Just out of curiosity, what resolution do Foxtel broadcast in now? Isn't it 720i?

There's no such thing as 720i. The 1280x720 HD format is only in progressive format - i.e 720p.

With 480 and 576, there's both the i and p format - i.e 480i,480p,576i,576p.

Foxtel are currently outputting 576i.

I wonder how well the HD IQ will deinterlace and scale when outputting 720p or 576p when the source material is interlaced. It will be interesting the see how it compares to my Sharp LCD TV.

The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

Does this mean that Showtime and Movie One/Two won't be available in the HD package? That would be a bit disappointing if the only movies in HD were Boxoffice ones.

Does this mean that Showtime and Movie One/Two won't be available in the HD package? That would be a bit disappointing if the only movies in HD were Boxoffice ones.

Its only to start with, but never fear other Movie channels should get the green light later next year

sounds like an interesting job. can you tell us what kind of hardware they will be selling us us. From your previous posts, can I assume that as a current IQ Platinum subscriber, I will need to pay $199 for setup and an additional $5 per month subs? For this I will get 2 additional HD sport channels, 2 HD doco channels and all movies on demand in HD?

thanks again,

Roo

Not sure yet about the Hardware but i can tell you are correct with your assumption apart from the fact that the Set-Up fee could be anywhere between $99 and $249, still undetermined

If every channel on foxtel was the same quality as say showtime or fox sports, then sure, i'd be willing to pay a bit extra for HD channels; but until we get quality SD channels, you can forget paying any extra.

Do we get the first year of HD free, due to the **** quality of the current channels?

Current ESPN got to be upconverted 320 x 240?

Couldn't agree more, i refuse to watch soccer on ESPN, you cant even make out the players ffs.

I blame the lack of competition in the pay-tv market for the majority of foxtels woes, i suppose the lack of subscribers compared to the rest of the western world doesnt help either.

The Foxtel service is costing more and more. Currently we get lousy PQ and adverts for over $100 a month.

Now we are going to pay a premium for a few HD channels.

How HD are the HD channels going to be?

Every three years my Foxtel subscription adds up to a large screen HD TV. Am I getting value for money?

You can have all the content in the world but if most of that content is close to unwatchable what's the point?

I have been a subscriber for a long, long time but my patience is running out.

I'm looking for a decent deal on this HD service in 2008.