Foxtel Owners & Discussion Thread

What will be in transmitted in HD, what will be upscaled, what source programs will they use, what is the HD format 576p, 720i, 720p, ?, what will the bitrate be like (I read a lot of US companies started their HD channels and lowered the bitrate making the picture though 720p still poor quality, what will they charge for 2 boxes, what is the all up cost of a HD box with Platinum package?

Sure I would love to get more HD content but won't jump in till I see what it is they really offer as I read some people in the US got burnt thinking they would get better quality and it just didn't happen.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently working for Foxtel to deal with Customer Satisfaction and not too many people seem interested in the new HD Foxtel package which wll be $15 extra for Sport/Docu/Movie channels to be in HD (plus on the new Premium iQ box you get more storage space etc)

You obviously need an HD accepted TV but do you think thats a good deal? Views?

I think $15 on top of what I pay now is acceptable as long as the picture quality is actually HD picture quality (not heavily compressed like Foxtel have done with some of their current content) and there's no long term contract (so we can evaluate it's worth) and no installation fee for current IQ subscribers.

What will be in transmitted in HD, what will be upscaled, what source programs will they use, what is the HD format 576p, 720i, 720p, ?, what will the bitrate be like (I read a lot of US companies started their HD channels and lowered the bitrate making the picture though 720p still poor quality, what will they charge for 2 boxes, what is the all up cost of a HD box with Platinum package?

Sure I would love to get more HD content but won't jump in till I see what it is they really offer as I read some people in the US got burnt thinking they would get better quality and it just didn't happen.

Which cable providers (there are only a few large ones in the US) burned their US customers? One of the largest cable providers in the US does not even charge extra for HD. From what I've seen it's either NO charge or a small upcharge (5 dollars). Some channels have a small upcharge to get them in HD and some do not. It basically ends up averaging around 5 dollars total to upgrade to HD (I think only Charter is the exception to this and they're probably the smallest of the bigger cable providers).

15 dollars is ridiculous unless they plan on having a LOT of extra HD content...the fact is, there just isn't that much that isn't already FTA in AUS so to actually try and charge 15 dollars for something they should be doing anyways is ridiculous. If they plan on charging an extra 15 dollars to add HD capabilities, I'll be glad when some competition enters the AUS market so there's a good alternative to Foxtel.

How about carrying some extra channels like the Golf channel which would be big in AUS....How about just offering non-heavily compressed SD content...

Which cable providers (there are only a few large ones in the US) burned their US customers? One of the largest cable providers in the US does not even charge extra for HD. From what I've seen it's either NO charge or a small upcharge (5 dollars). Some channels have a small upcharge to get them in HD and some do not. It basically ends up averaging around 5 dollars total to upgrade to HD (I think only Charter is the exception to this and they're probably the smallest of the bigger cable providers).

15 dollars is ridiculous unless they plan on having a LOT of extra HD content...the fact is, there just isn't that much that isn't already FTA in AUS so to actually try and charge 15 dollars for something they should be doing anyways is ridiculous. If they plan on charging an extra 15 dollars to add HD capabilities, I'll be glad when some competition enters the AUS market so there's a good alternative to Foxtel.

How about carrying some extra channels like the Golf channel which would be big in AUS....How about just offering non-heavily compressed SD content...

I will try to find the article, in fact in it some users were taking a lawsuit (only in America huh!) against the provider to determine what HD actually meant as they felt ripped off at the lower bitrates.

I'm currently working for Foxtel to deal with Customer Satisfaction and not too many people seem interested in the new HD Foxtel package which wll be $15 extra for Sport/Docu/Movie channels to be in HD (plus on the new Premium iQ box you get more storage space etc)

You obviously need an HD accepted TV but do you think thats a good deal? Views?

Before I give an opinion I'd like to see what we're getting in HD. What are the HD channels? Are they HD 24/7? Is it 1080i? What sound formats?

There was a rumour of 8 channels. Does this include the 5 FTA channels (i.e. Foxtel is providing only 3 - 1 Sport, 2 Doco and 1 Mpvie channel?

I have been with Foxtel a very long time and recently I have been considering dropping back to basic plus sport.

Only 'old habits die hard' has been stopping me.

I have put up with a truly lousy picture quality on my HD plasma for what seems an age. Because of the lousy PQ I have tended to watch more and more FTA.

If Foxtel does broadcast a decent quality HD service I will probably hang on for a while yet however it won't be at any price.

Pay TV is becoming a luxury in Australia and at $1500 a year there might be better value for money in other areas.

Finally, those of us who subscribe to Foxtel's HD service will only be getting a handful of channels for a premium price. Having viewed HD content it is very difficult to then watch other channels with a substandard PQ.

I will decide if and when a HD package is offered by Foxtel.

Well I'm along the same lines as you old rocker but i find myself watching more FTA not for PQ but for some more

variety and the new seasons shows they have been showing. Like about half of them. I'm wondering what the FTA's are going to offer as havent seen many ads saying exactly what they will be doing.

I signed up for TIVO info but have had zip from them.

If Foxtel is doing all this to compete with FTA/TIVO then they seem to know more than the average punter. I'll gladly drop Foxtel for TIVO and the FTA's if they come through with something half decent.

These are my thoughts:

Yes I do agree that it has to be 720p minimum, but I think that access to HD quality content on foxtel shouldn't be an add-on and have to come with a PVR. Rather, it should come standard for a HD foxtel stb that isn't a PVR for all new customers and those who wish to upgrade. I do have a HDTV myself, and I would like to see Foxtel in HD (particularly Sport, Docos etc.), but it has to be affordable. It was very hard for me to convince my family to switch to digital because of the large costs, but luckily some call girl offered us digital for the same price...

Do us all a favour and make HD Foxtel standard

Thank you.

$15 for the new set top box and HD sounds like a fair price.

How much extra is the IQ at the moment? I think its $15 and $10 for platinum. Does that mean that the HD service is the same price as the IQ or is it $15 more then the IQ.

Well in the UK, you pay the same extra fee whether you have HD (with sky+ features) or just sky+, which seems smart

Well in the UK, you pay the same extra fee whether you have HD (with sky+ features) or just sky+, which seems smart

Ahhh, no I think thats not right (but happy to be corrected) but I understand on SkyUK there now is no longer a fee for having Sky+ (iQ) over a standard STB, however there is a 10quid fee to see the HD channels.

This link shows the pricing. Also note that if you sign up for the minimum term a nonPVR box comes free, the other boxs cost a bit, dont forget in UK you own the box even if it came free with the contract, same arrangement as mobiles and cellphone contracts.

The boxs are here.

Cyril

Edited by cyril

Ahhh, no I think thats not right (but happy to be corrected) but I understand on SkyUK there now is no longer a fee for having Sky+ (iQ) over a standard STB, however there is a 10quid fee to see the HD channels.

This link shows the pricing. Also note that if you sign up for the minimum term a nonPVR box comes free, the other boxs cost a bit, dont forget in UK you own the box even if it came free with the contract, same arrangement as mobiles and cellphone contracts.

The boxs are here.

Cyril

Yes you are right, I must have read it wrongly when I was checking it all out a couple of weeks ago.

I would say that ideally you wouldn't pay anything per month for HD or the IQ, just a higher setup fee - that would make a lot of sense to me.

The cost in UK for the HD box is an extra 10 pounds per month which equates to roughly $24 AUD , I cant see Foxtel only charging $15.00 extra PM.

Also to buy outright ( on a defacto basis) it equates to roughly $900 AUD that is before installation which will probably be an extra $100.00.

Expect a minimum of $25-30 per month for the box.

NEW INFORMATION

-- Foxtel are looking to charge $199 for a Set Up Fee Plus $15 per month Charge for HD TV but this may change

-- The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

FOR CURRENT iQ CUSTOMERS

-- The payment format will change. Customers can pay a 1 off Fee of $50 and then only pay $5 per month for their iQ Box Subscription

NEW INFORMATION

-- Foxtel are looking to charge $199 for a Set Up Fee Plus $15 per month Charge for HD TV but this may change

-- The package will include 2 HD Sport Channels and 2 HD Documentary Channels plus Movies on Demand (Its $10 per month for EITHER Sport OR Docu)

FOR CURRENT iQ CUSTOMERS

-- The payment format will change. Customers can pay a 1 off Fee of $50 and then only pay $5 per month for their iQ Box Subscription

So that $15 a month is added to the normal subscription, and includes the recording capability as well as HD?

Please clarify the second point - are you saying that the HD sport channels (for example) aren't included in the normal sports package, so in reality if you want the HD sport channels you have to pay the $15 a month as well as $10 extra for the HD sports channel subscription? Because that's pretty stupid...

Can people who are not current IQ subscribers take advantage of the new payment format for the IQ?

NEW INFORMATION

FOR CURRENT iQ CUSTOMERS

Don't want to be seen rude if you work for Foxtel why not your full name as far as I know you could work for Select TV or Optus or whoever else... Oz Arab?

cheers laurie

ps if you do I'm downgrading due to your outrages increases and stick to FTA HD

they should make the prices reasonable as know one will sign up to it otherwise.

And what will happen when they add another HD channel and another etc......more price increase far enough no one is forced to take it on but a few months ago I was paying $79 for the premium service now its $101+ that $79 was my limit

cheers laurie

Also what if you paid $395.00 up front for the IQ plus $100.00 installation like myself

I'd like to know abou this too as I paid upfront for the whole kaboozle....

I don't like the idea of being slugged for the monthly payments on top of my platinum either...not considering what we forked out in the first place....

ANd to be quite honest I have been loking at downgrading for a while too..crap stuff repeated and poor quality transmission...not worth over $100 per month.

I love HD! I have a samsung 46inch HDLCD TV but there is no way in hell I'll be paying extra for what 6 HD channels. I all ready have platnum package with iQ and pay top dollar why should we have to pay extra? Plus the content on the FTA HD channels is better at the moment.

Foxtel needs to get in touch or they will start to lose a lot of subscribers!!!!!!!!!!

NEW INFORMATION

FOR CURRENT iQ CUSTOMERS

Will they be showing Premier League/NFL games in HD?