Pioneer Pdp-lx508a Best Price

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Post new years will be a good time to bargain.

Even though price increases will happen, I don't think anyone will have the money left.

The thing is, there has already been massive discounting pre-christmas,

which is unusual, and huge boxing day and post Christmas sales.

Retail profit margin is already cut to the bone.

I don't see how prices can be slashed any lower.

Shops would just not be making any money at all.

Couple with this pending price increases, of whatever percentage,

you decide, plus the fluctuating (generally lower) AUD and IMO NOW is the

time to buy big ticket items.

Quote from a retailing guru in the SMH:

"Many retailers simply cannot afford to cut their prices further. Instead, they are likely to offer several items at less than cost to "suck the gullible people in".

"[shoppers] will go in and think everything is that price - it's not. And they [retailers] make the margin on the remainder of the stuff. That's the way it works. That's the way it's always worked," Brown says.

"What they will do is … pick two or three products and they will cut the guts out of them to try and give the impression [of further discounts storewide]. But no, they can't [discount more than before Christmas] and they won't."

Guest danieljb

Well the truth is that I was at Bondi a fews back and he had 4 left and was willing to part with one at $3750. I thought about it, thinking might wait for lx509, then when I saw price rises on Pioneer website went back to find he had none left.

Found one at Brookvale and paid $3999

Guest danieljb
Well the truth is that I was at Bondi a fews back and he had 4 left and was willing to part with one at $3750. I thought about it, thinking might wait for lx509, then when I saw price rises on Pioneer website went back to find he had none left.

Found one at Brookvale and paid $3999

Guest clackers

Hey Guys

I have just taken delivery of a LX 508A. Does anyone know the equivalent American version? I'm trying to work out which of the settings off the AVS forums I should use. Cheers

Edited by clackers

I picked up a floor model lx508a today at hornsby jb hifi for $3450, got him to throw in a $60 soniq hdmi cable as well.

Only thing is he couldn't find the remote! he said it had been moved recently & the guys that moved it weren't there so he would have to ask them tomorrow. He said if they can't find it they will have to contact pioneer to hopefully get me another one.

Anyone know if it's hard to get another remote from pioneer & if they take long? I'm hoping to have it set up by the time the tennis starts in a few weeks. I can't wait to have it up & running! coming from a 68cm phillips crt with a chip in the screen for a while now. Can't beleive i put up with it for so long. I just need a new dvd player & a tv stand/unit for it now.

Anyone know where there are nice tv units for a descent price in sydney? & i need a dvd rec with vcr so i can convert all our tapes onto disc. Is the panasonic dvd/vcr DMR-EZ48V any good? any other reccomendations?

Thanks

Rob

& i need a dvd rec with vcr so i can convert all our tapes onto disc. Is the panasonic dvd/vcr DMR-EZ48V any good? any other reccomendations?

Thanks

Rob

I'd recommend the panasonic xw-300 much more future proof and you can plug a vcr into it to record your video to hard drive then edit it and burn to dvd.

ps.should be able to pick one up for $770

Edited by wheelz

Only thing is he couldn't find the remote! ...

<SNIP>

Anyone know if it's hard to get another remote from pioneer & if they take long? I'm hoping to have it set up by the time the tennis starts in a few weeks.... I just need a new dvd player & a tv stand/unit for it now.

<SNIP>

Rob, don't worry too much about the remote. It is nice, but I don't use mine very often. You can pick up a Harmony remote and your set is in the database (although I recommend you use the LX-5090 instead of the LX-508 as the stock 508 setup seems to have fewer commands than the original remote). You can then setup activities when you get the other gear you mentioned when you get them. Saves a lot of remote swapping and clutter.

You can get Harmony remotes starting at $79-99 for the 525. Clive Peeters have the top of line 1000i at $199 (usually $329-499). I have a 785 in the family room and everyone seems to like using a single remote. Even if you get your original remote, I'd consider a Harmony if I were in your position.

Cheers,

Pfeff

I was quoted $3800 for a floorstock LX508a today.

Apparently it has been on the floor for about 4 months, which by my estimates would be about 7000 hours of use (displaying who knows what content).

Is there anywhere in the Menu Settings/Setup etc to see exactly how many "hours in use" the LX508a has had ?

I am also considering a Panasonic 50PZ800A for around $2600 (with 5 yr warranty).

As much as I would love the Pio, I am not sure I can justify an extra $1200 for a used TV compared to brand new. What do you think ?

As much as I would love the Pio, I am not sure I can justify an extra $1200 for a used TV compared to brand new. What do you think ?

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who have purchased display equipment with no problems, but personally after a bad experience many many years ago with purchasing some ex display equipment that turned out to be well and truly thrashed out I'm now fairly cautious.

Also, JB were selling the Pioneers new at $3999 when they still had stock, so $3800 for a set with potentially 7000 hours on it doesn't look like a good deal, but unfortunately if you are definitely after a 508A any alternatives are getting very hard to find.

One JB I went to said they just sold their floor model a day or two ago for the same price as new ($3999) "because they could" - no need to discount.

He said no new stock in any NSW JB stores - just the odd store with floor stock.

I was in Myer (Hornsby Westfield) today trying to get a good deal on the Panasonic BD35 Bluray player (none in stock), and noticed they had the LX508 ticketed for $4399 (20% off). It didn't say display model either. Everything else is 15% off.

Is there anywhere in the Menu Settings/Setup etc to see exactly how many "hours in use" the LX508a has had ?

For those looking at floor models.

Ask to have a go of the remote, and do the following

Switch the unit off with the power button on the remote (it will have the red light under the standby on the left)

- Press the info button (located above the blue button)

- Wait 3 seconds

- Using the arrow keys, press left, up, left, right

- Press the power button

When the set starts up it will flash through some service menus. Then return to the input with the service menu overlaying the image.

Press the down button twice and you will see the hours.

You can use that as a bargaining point.

I think the panels are rated for 60,000 hours half life ?

Edited by xordis

For those looking at floor models.

Ask to have a go of the remote, and do the following

Switch the unit off with the power button on the remote (it will have the red light under the standby on the left)

- Press the info button (located above the blue button)

- Wait 3 seconds

- Using the arrow keys, press left, up, left, right

- Press the power button

When the set starts up it will flash through some service menus. Then return to the input with the service menu overlaying the image.

Press the down button twice and you will see the hours.

You can use that as a bargaining point.

I think the panels are rated for 60,000 hours half life ?

Good tip xordis... I noticed some people have trouble getting the service menu up reliably. The trick is that you must press the INFO button immediately after the set is switched off and before you here the relay click as it shuts down. If you delay, the service menu will not come up.

Cheers

Good tip xordis... I noticed some people have trouble getting the service menu up reliably. The trick is that you must press the INFO button immediately after the set is switched off and before you here the relay click as it shuts down. If you delay, the service menu will not come up.

Cheers

I don't think that is correct. You don't need to press it immediately after the set is switched off, I waited until the tv is in standby (ie. after the click). It just takes a few tries. I didn't get it right away, took me several tries. Don't expect to get it right away.

This is from AV forums - worked 1st time for me.

To get into the service menu do the following..

Start with the plasma turned OFF

Make sure you point the remote directly at the IR sensor in the tv

Press the i button on the remote (just press, do not hold)

Wait 3 seconds

Press LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER

If done correctly, the plasma turns on and the INFORMATION page is displayed, will change 3 times on its own quickly.

To show hours meter:

once into the menu press mute to show panel factory

press enter

Then press down and you will see the hours.

Press HOME MENU to exit

Edited by cuneas

I don't think that is correct. You don't need to press it immediately after the set is switched off, I waited until the tv is in standby (ie. after the click). It just takes a few tries. I didn't get it right away, took me several tries. Don't expect to get it right away.

Don't know why we bother helping someone sometimes... I simply passed on the following tip from the AVForum and it has worked for me every time not just sometimes...

Re: service menu on Pioneer?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by psychopomp1

thanks kingfats, but despite trying the procedure i don't get the service menu. any suggestions?

Try with the TV on (normal channel) then hit stanby on the remote,press and hold the info button before the screen click goes off.

Then press........LEFT, UP, LEFT, RIGHT then POWER.

Thanks for the tip Pfeff. I could not get the service menu up until I tried your tip of pressing info button quickly. Worked perfectly on two different sets.

Myer hornsby floor model is 2875 hours (ie 8 hrs/day for 360 days)

Myer brookvale floor model is 3356 hours

A bit too many hours for not a big price drop (ie $3800) and still over a grand more than other brands - I might have to pass on the Pio (at least until gen 9 becomes cheap)

Edited by Zelig96

Thanks for the tip Pfeff. I could not get the service menu up until I tried your tip of pressing info button quickly. Worked perfectly on two different sets.

<snip>

That's great Zelig96 :) and why I posted the tip... not my idea, I was just passing on some help I read elsewhere... When you're mucking around in a service menu in a retailer's showroom, you want to look like you know what you are doing. Having 3-4 goes isn't very convincing, is it! :wacko:

The sales rep was pretty good about it......even when I came back to try again!

At the second store I certainly looked like I knew what I was doing. I think they may not be so quick to quote only 4mths on the floor now they have seen how the truth can be revealed.

Don't know why we bother helping someone sometimes... I simply passed on the following tip from the AVForum and it has worked for me every time not just sometimes...

relax mate, i'm just trying to point out that its not a requirement to press it before the click :P