Pioneer Pdp-lx508a Best Price

That's the best price I have heard/read so far Mothydog!

Anyways I maybe creapy but I grow on ya!

I know they are good for 60,000hrs right? Not quite right 60,000 is half life

How many hrs is too many for floor stock? Thats your call,depends how bad you want one.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jellie.

Listen.. I'm just stirrin cause I think that was plant's intention too to be honest, no need to jump down my throat.

I did look into the WS price on kuro's and was told it was about $3900 which surprised me cause people here were picking them up for less and I thought the salesperson who said that to someone here could have been lying.

I could have bought one at what I was told was cost but instead bought one from David Jones at $4000 with $400 back in vouchers like I said, a much better deal.

At the time I said that I would confirm it there still seemed to be a little bit of confusion on the issue so I'm sorry for telling you something you already knew.

Your right, I was "grandstanding" about the fact that I could pick one up at cost, I wanted to impress you.. Were you impressed? Will you be my friend?? :wub:

Did I find out the real wholesale price? Well I can't be sure, I can only go on what an associate of mine told me was cost, if anyone finds out he was lying please let me know.

Hey Cable Guy

I would have been impressed if you delivered what you promised.

WE are all interested in getting a good deal, and sharing infromation is what it's about, nothing more nothing less.

So when claims are exagerated , I guess you don't appreciate the ripple effect it may cause.

I really thought you had great inside knowledge, hence waited for 2 days and lost a great opportunity on Pioneer through one of MY sources.

Hence my angst, the price I was quoted was far better than ANY on this forum!

I hope you understand the point I am making.

From what I can assertain the "Wholesale price " was somewhere between $2850 and $3000.

I think your friend was not privy to the RIGHT information.The list they get on tyhe floor , id the one generated by Slaes and Marketing depts and Head Office.They would never reveal the "Real" purchase cost , to the guys on the floor.

Not that it matters now , there are hardly any left , and retailers know they are scarse so they will not be discounting.

I am now waiting to see what happens with the 09 models.

Regards Jelliemillie

Ain't that the truth.

Funny isn't it?

I paid $5100 nearly a year ago for my Pioneer LX-508, I got it through Rick Harts (On a price match/ beat) here in Perth WA. They were selling it for about $7000. So I was, and am, very happy indeed. I have an excellent screen to go with my HT, and Pioneer had it installed and setup for me at no extra cost, I would do it again. But as for waiting until you get store left overs etc.. to get more money off. I do understand the temptation, but think about this: If you always wait until they "give it away" by that time, they have something better, and you will most likely want to wait for this new one to be the old model too: Hence you will never buy anything, and never enjoy life now.

Same goes for my receiver and speakers, I shopped around, got a price I was happy with and made the move.

Good luck to all, and keep smiling

Mark

Plantman,

You are assured of getting one at $2.5k. All you have to do is wait 12 months, look on Ebay and one will be there with about 2500hrs on it.

Please make sure you get back to us then and let us know how you enjoy your Kuro!!!

And no sooner did you utter those prophetic words...............

Yes folks there is a 08 Kuro , on ebay for $2500 , and as predicted by my clever friend, it has been used for one year and hence has 4 years of warranty left.

Jelliemillie :lol:

And no sooner did you utter those prophetic words...............

Yes folks there is a 08 Kuro , on ebay for $2500 , and as predicted by my clever friend, it has been used for one year and hence has 4 years of warranty left.

Jelliemillie :lol:

Yeah, but it's not an LX508A.

It's only the cheaper 508XDA

i.e. it's not full HD and it's 2nd-hand.

A brand new full-hd 50" like a Pana TH-50PZ800A can be had, and with change left over.

Edited by jimval

Yeah, but it's not an LX508A.

It's only the cheaper 508XDA

i.e. it's not full HD and it's 2nd-hand.

A brand new full-hd 50" like a Pana TH-50PZ800A can be had, and with change left over.

My Apologies

I saw the "Kuro" and did not look further to notice it was the XDA version.

Chers

Jelliemillie

hey guys, can you tell me if you need the remote to turn it on & watch tv/fox? Don't want to unbox it to check.

I rang JB about a week & a half back & spoke to the manager, he rang me back & said they had to order a remote from pioneer & should be about a week.

Anyway i want to watch the tennis on the Pio. Does the Pio have buttons on it to turn it on & change channels? Might have to do some chopping on our old unit to fit it on untill we get a new Gecko or Crierion unit next week.

Thanks

Rob

There is a button the bottom left to turn it on and channel change & input select buttons are on the right side, so you can turn it on and watch tv without the remote.

However, I am not sure how you will go with setting it up and scanning for channels etc without the remote.

Perhaps if you connect foxtel to one of the inputs, you will be able to get that to work without needing to do setup stuff via the remote ???

Good luck.

hey guys, can you tell me if you need the remote to turn it on & watch tv/fox? Don't want to unbox it to check.

I rang JB about a week & a half back & spoke to the manager, he rang me back & said they had to order a remote from pioneer & should be about a week.

Anyway i want to watch the tennis on the Pio. Does the Pio have buttons on it to turn it on & change channels? Might have to do some chopping on our old unit to fit it on untill we get a new Gecko or Crierion unit next week.

Thanks

Rob

Jeez.. How could you have the patience to leave you new LX all boxed up for 3 weeks? :o

If that had happened to me, at the price you paid, I'd have spent the $99 on the base Harmony by now so I could enjoy my new set... Still I would be chasing that JB manager again. That seems enough time to find/obtain the remote for you or loan/give you a Harmony for your trouble. ;)

Thanks for the help Zelig.

Yeh i know man, I can't wait to set it up. It wasn't just the remote though, we need a new cabinet + I'm going to plaster/paint the room soon.

I had enough though, I rang the guy up today & he said he still doesn't have it & will chase it up tomorrow. I said its been 3 weeks & to give me a universal remote till he gets it, he said to hold on came back & said to come down he's got it. So i finally got it, but i will get a harmony one in a few weeks.

I will hopefully set it up tonight on the old cabinet, i will have to saw the top sides off though lol. I can't wait another week to get the new cabinet. I have looked at so many cabinets this weekend i've got a headache from too much shopping. Narrowed it down to 4, Gecko 1400 glass gkr-685 about $500, Everett Worthington 1300 glass US160 about $300 or 2 Criterions synergy 1500 EH320 $600 or 2100 ET centre EH570 about 1k. Probably just get the cheaper ones, they have more room for speaker, etc... Only problem is no hidden compartments for dvds & stuff.

Anyway, is it easy to tune the channels in?

Thanks

Rob

I finally got it set up last night on the old cabinet. I couldn't find the bloody power button for a minute & was thinking what is going on here, after taking so long to set up.

It is a beautiful tv & damn big, especially only sitting about 1.8m from it. Also coming from a 68cm crt, it's a huge change.

Only one big problem, It has done a lot of hours! I'm actualy thinking of taking it back. I realy don't want to but it is getting to me that i paid so much for a tv that was used for over a year. I was expecting it to have hours clocked but not this much. Especially after i was told it was in almost new condition!

Do you guys know if JB do refunds? or exchange for another tv if i decide to take it back? Damn don't know what to do.

If something goes wrong with it does Pioneer repair it or replace it with a new one?

Thanks

Rob

I finally got it set up last night on the old cabinet. I couldn't find the bloody power button for a minute & was thinking what is going on here, after taking so long to set up.

It is a beautiful tv & damn big, especially only sitting about 1.8m from it. Also coming from a 68cm crt, it's a huge change.

Only one big problem, It has done a lot of hours! I'm actualy thinking of taking it back. I realy don't want to but it is getting to me that i paid so much for a tv that was used for over a year. I was expecting it to have hours clocked but not this much. Especially after i was told it was in almost new condition!

Do you guys know if JB do refunds? or exchange for another tv if i decide to take it back? Damn don't know what to do.

If something goes wrong with it does Pioneer repair it or replace it with a new one?

Thanks

Rob

As crtlover says... how many hours? Are you sure they had it for 12 months or more? That does seem a long time to me because I seem to recall JB having a fall out with Pioneer sometime in the past year when they stopped selling Pio panels for awhile.

If it's done 10hrs x 365 days it should be at least 3,650. Sure it sounds a lot but really only about 5% of the supposed life of 60,000hrs. Now you paid $3,450. $3,999 less 5% is $3,799 so you got a better discount than the used life. Its warranty is still covered for 5 years isn't it? If the screen shows no signs of problems and the case is unmarked, then you have a good buy. In the end, most display products are sold "as is" and get a discount which has been passed to you. The only way you would be entitled to a refund would be if the set was not of merchantable quality or you were misled about what you were purchasing.

I know that may not be what you were wanting to hear, but you would be hard pressed to find a new one, and if it's in good shape you should get a full service life from the set. I've bought the odd demonstrator and used car over the years and the savings have never been at the expense of durability or satisfaction and I soon for. So I think you've got a good buy and you'll probably soon forget that it wasn't new from the box, especially when the 509's start going on display for $5,999 or more...!

Enjoy... :rolleyes:

Had a strange dialogue with PLANT tonight by PM. Went like this...

PM from PLANT: What is the width in cm from speaker to speaker end?
Reply: Pretty easy to find on the web... 1444mm
PLANT: Actually the web says 123.3cm????

I remember sizing up in store around 127cm NOT 144cm!

Reply: Well why did you ask? I knew that was wrong because the stand I have mine on is 1500mm wide and the Tv is nearly as wide.

Check this link: http://www.pioneernz.co.nz/Site/PIONEER/fi...lx-brochure.pdf

Dimensions: w/ Side Speakers 1444 mm (W) x 722 mm (H) x 120 mm (D)

Not surpisingly, I've had no further response.

This is an open message to you PLANT... If you are going to send a PM to someone, requesting info, especially to someone you have never had contact with previously and about something so easy to find on the web, you might add some courteous opening remarks to your PM.

Secondly, my reply was no less courteous than your question and while tempted not to bother replying to you, I did. Not only that, but even though I was not at home, I easily found the answer and replied to you suggesting how you might find answers in future. However I did fail to do the conversion to cm. But I thought that was unnecessary and simply conveyed the fact as I found it. So you show your appreciation by doubting my response, which was of course completely correct. Not even an "Are you sure?". Still I did confirm my first and correct response, albeit with similar tone to your PM's.

Finally, and naturally, I am yet to see a simple note of thanks for answering PLANT's question...

I realise this dialogue is probably a complete waste of time on PLANT but may prompt other members to remember that forum members are private citizens who mostly enthusiasically share their passion for HT and therefore deserve some simple manners when seeking advice. I shall continue to willingly share info with this forum, but I forthwith will ignore PMs and posts similar to PLANT's.

Cheers

It has a little over 4000 hrs!

It is very nice & i would have a hard time giving it back. I should of bought it new when i had the chance. I shouldn't have listened to people around me saying wait or i will get you a better deal.

I might ring the manager to see if he can get another one, cause they did tell me it was close to new. This is close to 1.5 years old, so i was lied to.

I know there's very little chance of getting another but might give it a go. My sisters ex was telling me he could get me a deal through a connection at pioneer, who supposedly has/had a few sitting in the wharehouse. Didn't want to take the chance that it was BS so i grabbed one while i still could.

Would the tv being on all day for that long be bad for it? reduced it's life or possibly do it harm?

Thanks for the help Pfeff.

Rob

Bummer.

A few weeks back, Myer Hornsby's floor model was just under 3000 hours and Myer Brookvale's had about 3350+ hours. Those hours (1 year+ @ 8hrs/day) made me reluctant to get the floor model, as much as I wanted the Pio. Both stores wanted $3800 which wasnt much of a discount given people had got the last few NEW ones for $3999 at JB's.

Ramsay(?) at Myer Parramatta quoted me $3600 over the phone for his floor model, but I figured it would have similar hours to the other two Myer stores and in the end, couldnt be bothered driving to Parramatta to check it out.

I had given up on the Pio and had actually done a deal for something else, then I found a Pio with only 1000 hours and grabbed it.

I still have a bit of a nagging doubt about it being used (especially when I read about RUN IN and wondering how mine was used in those first 200 hours), but in the end, if being used means it dies during the 5 year warranty period, then I could get lucky with a current new model (LX509 or LX510???) as the replacement. Alternatively, if it lasts the 5 years (if I can resist the urge to upgrade that long), then I am happy and the fact it was not new originally will have been of no consequence during my 5 years of happy viewing.

After the run around JB's gave you over the remote, now this, I would try demanding JB's take back your LX508 and then sell you an LX509 for cost....... if you could afford the extra grand or so (I'm guessing cost would be around $4500-$4800 on an RRP of $5999), you could suddenly be the envy of all of us.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Zelig96

Rob

I know it sounds alot but you still have 5yrs warr so if you look at it as the tv has already been used for a year your warr is covering 6yrs usage,and dont forget pioneer not only make the best panels they also offer the best warr .

Edited by wheelz

manners on a home theatre forum ?

thats some good sh*t You've been smoking there pfeff ;):lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah... I think it had been dosed with unreality! :lol::lol:

I know it sounds alot but you still have 5yrs warr so if you look at it as the tv has already been used for a year your warr is covering 6yrs usage,and dont forget pioneer not only make the best panels they also offer the best warr .

I agree with you wheelz...

But Rob if it is really nagging you why not give it a try. Just don't get too cranky if it's declined. It will only sour the good deal you got and take even more time to get out of your system.

Can I offer a couple tips?

1. Don't accuse him of deliberately misleading you, that'll just ark him up. No one likes their integrity being challenged. It might have been a honest mistake,

2. Appeal to his sense of a square deal and fair play,

3. Stay calm and avoid raising your voice or getting too argumentative,

4. And leave consumer rights out of it because I think you'd find it a hard one to get through consumer affairs. It's been several weeks since you purchased it and not raised the issue before. It will be your word against his and the delay will not be helpful to you. You would have to use the lack of the remote for so long as the reason you couldn't query him earlier, and

5. If a new one can be found (doubtful), be prepared to pay more but not a premium over the $3,999.

FWIW, after seeing mine, my sister and bro-in-law went out and bought a floor model from CA (all that they could find on the Gold Coast) and they are happy as Larry. I won't check the hours and they won't be any the wiser. And like wheelz said, they like you have 5 years of warranty should something go wrong. Additionally, I followed the run-in pretty closely and I doubt theirs spent much of its life so far off 'dynamic' and I can't see any difference in PQ after I used my DVE disc to calibrate the settings for them.

Good luck.

Pfeff

Was in Bing Lee Castle Hill store on Monday and noticed a LX508A on display. Sticker had $5999 crossed out but no sell price. Inquired with salesperson who said all new stock was sold. Asked about the floor model and said it was for sale at $4,400. Made no comment and continued on. Thought I'd post info here in case anyone interested. Do not know hours and set was not on nor did I look closely so cannot comment on condition.

I think crumpet's now put his on sale and is asking fair price for the hours. Good luck mate...