Pioneer Pdp-lx508a Best Price

you wont find one. My sister & brother-in-law FINALLY convinced to get one after they saw mine and after um-ing & arh-ing for a few days after boxing day, all new ones SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE. They managed to find one at David Jones in Melbourne City and got it for $3500 delivered.

My mate works at JB and said cost was 3920 when it was selling for around 4000. So hoping to get one for 2500 is fantasy.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"They managed to find one at David Jones in Melbourne City and got it for $3500 delivered."

That doesn't sound right, David Jones was refusing to sell them below $4000 not long ago (I know cause I bought one). David Jones and Myer are famous for not price matching and to get it at $4000 was quite an achievement, $3500 is well below cost.

At that price I'd buy another one. Any chance you can scan a receipt by any chance please? :)

I'm not sure if Cable Runner has followed the thread about the member who has no remote supplied with his ex-display 508. I don't know of any remote that could wake a panel from a full power off so why a Harmony would be at any disadvantage is beyond me. Perhaps you might expand on your statement CR?

I bought a harmony one for my mother who doesn't want to leave the tv on standby (she's afraid the house will burn down :D ).

Problem is that if you don't turn it off with the harmony before you turn it off at the back, the harmony thinks it's still on when you turn the tv on again and when you press "whatch tv" it shuts down :blink: the harmony goes totally out of sync with the tv.

I know this is not the place to discuss such things and there are no doubt harmony threads but yea.. It's driving me mad.

Edited by Cable Runner

sorry, i missed a bit of the story..it was sold out everywhere - David Jones had the DISPLAY one left - last Kuro in town..and they got the EX Demo model for 3500. Not brand new. Like i said, cost was apparently 3920, so getting a brand new one under 3900 is highly unlikely - even if you can find one.

Sorry for confusion.

Someone must have stock in the back shed!

Oh and I am prepared to wait to get it at my price!

Again keep me posted.

Plantman,

You are assured of getting one at $2.5k. All you have to do is wait 12 months, look on Ebay and one will be there with about 2500hrs on it.

Please make sure you get back to us then and let us know how you enjoy your Kuro!!!

That doesn't sound right, David Jones was refusing to sell them below $4000 not long ago (I know cause I bought one). David Jones and Myer are famous for not price matching and to get it at $4000 was quite an achievement, $3500 is well below cost.

David Jones famous for not price matching? I thought that was a given with them.

I have bought stacks of things from them (electrical) on their price match policy. Just take in the elsewhere cheaper advertised price and they will match it. If you don't have a catalogue or physical proof, they will call up the company to verify your claim.

Bought a tv the other day from them after they price matched the Clive Peters catalogued price, which was about $400 less than their displayed price. Not a problem.

Rass...

BTW - I think by the time you can get the lx508A for $2500, the Panny/Pioneer tvs will be out in full swing and this model will be about 2 versions out of date.

Edited by Rass

Rass, maybe it's 'cause I take haggling to the extreme but most times I go in there they are not willing to play ball.

EG: I asked them to price match clive anthony recently on the kuro at $3600 and they refused, while JB said yes. I ended up buying it from DJ's anyway for $4000 with $400 back in vouchers cause they are better to deal with than JB IMO.

Myer is even worse to deal with in regards to price matching in my experience.

There is a guy named Zoran who works at Myer Doncaster, he was willing to match the JB price of $3999 but other people I spoke to said no way, I would recommend people talk to him if they are going to deal with anyone from Myer, he is good friends with the head buyer and is most likely to give you the price you want.

PS: The kuro has just started buzzing :(

Edited by Cable Runner

Buzzin...mmmmm hearing this maybe an issue more frequent now...hence the $2,500 price!

Big Picture people have 1x floor stock for $3999

I want new or will replace under 5 year warranty.

12 months for price drop will more likely be 2-3months with new stock hitting the shelves and old stock taking up space.

I know they are good for 60,000hrs right?

How many hrs is too many for floor stock?

I have it documented so can refer to in future post now!

Edited by PLANT

Rass, maybe it's 'cause I take haggling to the extreme but most times I go in there they are not willing to play ball.

EG: I asked them to price match clive anthony recently on the kuro at $3600 and they refused, while JB said yes. I ended up buying it from DJ's anyway for $4000 with $400 back in vouchers cause they are better to deal with than JB IMO.

Myer is even worse to deal with in regards to price matching in my experience.

There is a guy named Zoran who works at Myer Doncaster, he was willing to match the JB price of $3999 but other people I spoke to said no way, I would recommend people talk to him if they are going to deal with anyone from Myer, he is good friends with the head buyer and is most likely to give you the price you want.

PS: The kuro has just started buzzing :(

I second that for Zoran - I bought 2 Panasonic 50" PDPs ofs him at a fair price. Good, honest person to deal with.

Hey plant, it's gettin old dude, your probably not going to get one at all, let alone at $2500. This thread has pretty much outlived it's usefulness to be honest and for you to persist with this rubbish would almost amount to trolling.

If you don't have any luck with TBPP your best bet is Zoran, myer got hold of one of the last consignments but I'd hate to think what you'd have to do to get one at the price you want :lol: .

Edited by Cable Runner

Buzzin...mmmmm hearing this maybe an issue more frequent now...hence the $2,500 price!

Big Picture people have 1x floor stock for $3999

I want new or will replace under 5 year warranty.

12 months for price drop will more likely be 2-3months with new stock hitting the shelves and old stock taking up space.

I have it documented so can refer to in future post now!

Plant, what kinda plants are you smokin and which planet are you from???????? :lol::D

Hey plant, it's gettin old dude, your probably not going to get one at all, let alone at $2500. This thread has pretty much outlived it's usefulness to be honest and for you to persist with this rubbish would almost amount to trolling.

Hey Cable Runner

Give the guy a break , he's the eternal optimist.

I didn't see anyone jumping down your throat after your BOLD STATEMENT on DEC 1st , that you were going to get the Definitive "wholesale " buy price on the Pioneers. If you're going to make bold statements like that ar least own up to the fact that you were merely grandstanding and in reality had no good information to contribute.

Only to find out and post what a lot of us already knew.

Did you ever find out the real wholesale price?

Jelliemillie

Hey Jellie.

Listen.. I'm just stirrin cause I think that was plant's intention too to be honest, no need to jump down my throat.

I did look into the WS price on kuro's and was told it was about $3900 which surprised me cause people here were picking them up for less and I thought the salesperson who said that to someone here could have been lying.

I could have bought one at what I was told was cost but instead bought one from David Jones at $4000 with $400 back in vouchers like I said, a much better deal.

At the time I said that I would confirm it there still seemed to be a little bit of confusion on the issue so I'm sorry for telling you something you already knew.

Your right, I was "grandstanding" about the fact that I could pick one up at cost, I wanted to impress you.. Were you impressed? Will you be my friend?? :wub:

Did I find out the real wholesale price? Well I can't be sure, I can only go on what an associate of mine told me was cost, if anyone finds out he was lying please let me know.

Anyone with a nickname like PLANT is probably just that.... a plant... ie someone who's real motive is not obvious or concealed.

Main Entry: hide

Part of Speech: verb

Definition: To put or keep out of sight.

Synonyms: bury, cache, conceal, ensconce, occult, secrete

It's been fun watching the bites he's got though...

Off topic as cable runner says I know but... CR why does your Mum have a Harmony? Does she have a HT setup? If she only has the TV and a DVD for instance, I can't see much need for anything other than the original remotes. The Harmony's (especially the One) are terrific if you want to rid yourself of three or more remotes, but you DO have to use it properly. And if she's switching off her TV at the wall rather than pressing the standby button of whatever remote she has she probably should have a more simple set up anyway. My Mum when she was alive never had a telly with even one remote and that suited her just fine!

Problem is that if you don't turn it off with the harmony before you turn it off at the back, the harmony thinks it's still on when you turn the tv on again and when you press "whatch tv" it shuts down :blink: the harmony goes totally out of sync with the tv.

Actually, I just thought of a way round that for you... If the TV has discrete codes for PowerOn and PowerOff, change the setup for the TV so that instead of "toggling" the power on of off, when you send the TV activity will send a Power On command each time you press Watch TV. Many TV's have discrete codes for On and Off even when the standard remote has just one button. You have to change the TV setup to "one button of ON and one button for OFF" for this to work. All my devices are set up this way so that on the very rare occasion that something doesn't play ball I just press the activity button again and all is fixed. Much less hassle than using the HELP system I've found.

Hope it helps your Mum...

Cheers

Hey Jellie.

Listen.. I'm just stirrin cause I think that was plant's intention too to be honest, no need to jump down my throat.

I did look into the WS price on kuro's and was told it was about $3900 which surprised me cause people here were picking them up for less and I thought the salesperson who said that to someone here could have been lying.

I could have bought one at what I was told was cost but instead bought one from David Jones at $4000 with $400 back in vouchers like I said, a much better deal.

At the time I said that I would confirm it there still seemed to be a little bit of confusion on the issue so I'm sorry for telling you something you already knew.

Your right, I was "grandstanding" about the fact that I could pick one up at cost, I wanted to impress you.. Were you impressed? Will you be my friend?? :wub:

Did I find out the real wholesale price? Well I can't be sure, I can only go on what an associate of mine told me was cost, if anyone finds out he was lying please let me know.

I was in a Good Guys store just last week looking at the Panasonics and I was getting on famously with one of the salesreps there.

Just having a general yarn about Plasma TVs, LCDs comparing models etc. and how I really wanted a Pioneer.

He sold a few Pioneers while working and mentioned that he's got an LX508 at home that he bought DIRECTLY from Pioneer back in Dec'07 for $2800.

Edited by jimval

I was in a Good Guys store just last week looking at the Panasonics and I was getting on famously with one of the salesreps there.

Just having a general yarn about Plasma TVs, LCDs comparing models etc. and how I really wanted a Pioneer.

He sold a few Pioneers while working and mentioned that he's got an LX508 at home that he bought DIRECTLY from Pioneer back in Dec'07 for $2800.

Looking at the start of this thread (22 nov 07)and the prices people were paying i find that hard to believe,id say he's mixed up with the xda508.

Looking at the start of this thread (22 nov 07)and the prices people were paying i find that hard to believe,id say he's mixed up with the xda508.

I agree it's hard to believe, but we talked about the model at length and there was absolutely no confusion with what we were talking about.

I don't think the sales rep would be making it up because I can't imagine what's to be gained by lying, apart from maybe boasting, and surely

that would reduce the reps chances of a sale.

As I said, we were having a good yarn and he sounded very straight up.

I don't think the 'prices people were paying' is the same as someone that's in the game and maybe knows the right people at Pioneer.

I hazard a guess the rep must've been given a special discount from Pioneer for selling a high number of Pioneer plasmas and/or knew the right people in Pioneer.

Sounds pretty close to me.

Purchased a 428XDA from JBs for $2200 in early 2008, After a month of waiting I enquired with Pioneer about the delivery date but apparantly they had over sold this model at that time and couldn't fulfill the original order. Fortunately Pioneer phoned and offered a upgrade to the LX508 model for a further $650, therefore $2850 plus the usual JB throw-ins (hdmi cables etc) I took home from JBs at the original purchase date.

Pioneer were very helpful and didnt need any prompting regarding the upgrade, JBs couldn't give a **** as long as a sale is made, I've had to get use to a 50" in the lounge room and love'n it.

That's the best price I have heard/read so far Mothydog!

Anyways I maybe creapy but I grow on ya!

Edited by PLANT