• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not noticed any HD disks in any rental shop, but I’ll admit I have not gone out of my way to look for them.

One thing is certain, the range available in local rental stores is going to be pathetic compared to DVD for quite a while to come.

The demand for HD disks is a fraction of what DVD was at this point in its release cycle, and DVD’s took a LONG time to overtake VHS in video rental stores.

The majority of the population does not even have a HD TV, and most that do have older models that don’t do justice the HD disks.

For the rest of the people with SD CRT TV’s or little LCD’s, I don’t see why they would be interested. Most of them don’t give a rats about quality, they are happy to watch crappy DVD rips downloaded from the net.

Quickflix is a mail out service and is not relevant to the majority of people.

EDIT.

I just had a look at the range of HD disks available at Quickflix and could only find 5 or 6 disks I would bother hiring. After one month I would have nothing to watch and I know it will take several months to find a few more that would interest me.

There is more HD content on the net then at Quickflix, and I dont need a player or even a HD drive for the PC. :D

My view is that anyone that is in this GB obviously has a clue about why these panels are so good. The other 99% of the population are quite happy to view content on lower resolution screens and theres nothing wrong with that at all. But, there are some of us who can appreciate and admire the technology and I guess thats why we sit on forums and compare notes. I have always been an adopter of new technology and for that I pay a high price. Yes, BR/HD is quite expensive and has a limited selection of movies that are out there. I don't mind at all. But at some point in the future 1080p panels and high def video will be common place, just as audio and video cassettes were in the past.

I also realise that the net is full of places that has a host of HD content but for the most of us, either we're limited by bandwidth or those HD movies aren't exactly HD at all..

In the mean time, places like quickflix and video ezy are perfect to enjoy the fledgling format at a budget price. 25gb of downloads will either kill your quota or cost you a packet in excess usage fees. And as said before, what is the point of buying a 1080p panel to feed it low resolution dvds...

For the record, I have a HTPC with a $200 x360 hd-dvd drive. Its a cheap way to get into HD and can't wait for Pioneer to release a sub $200 bluray dvd drive..

I for one am very excited at all this new technology and even look forward to life after 1080p...

Edited by vladdo

Hey Derek

In light of the samsung promotional offer where you get a free 26" LCD TV, I am afraid I am withdrawing from this GB.

The free TV is just too tempting to pass by as I still need to buy one for my bed room after buying the PZ.

I will be updating the wiki to remove my entry. I am sorry for any inconvenience that I may have caused.

Email confirmation sent and i have attempted, as best i could, to update the wiki page. mine is the entry that's a bit all over the place (number 71) - it takes a special skill...

Thanks for all your work on this Derek.

Email confirmation sent and i have attempted, as best i could, to update the wiki page. mine is the entry that's a bit all over the place (number 71) - it takes a special skill...

Thanks for all your work on this Derek.

Walters- I added your entry to the Wiki main table, now number 72, because by the time I looked 'gawler' was already in at 71. If we run short at 71 panels it it up to you guys to sort out!!

Edited by mediaphite

**GROUP BUY NOW CLOSED**

I will provide an update tomorrow after meeting with the retailer and submitting the orders.

Derek

Looks like you need to update the wiki, to say it's closed. Unless it already is and the page I'm looking at is old?

Do you think it's possible that we'll get the calls tomorrow, or is it more likely to be Tuesday, so far?

Hmm I put my confirmation email through earlier today before the group buy closed but havent updated the wiki as of yet...

MrMaxwell can you please advise to what action you require with regards to the wiki... you have my email confirmation with contact details

cheers

Hmm I put my confirmation email through earlier today before the group buy closed but havent updated the wiki as of yet...

MrMaxwell can you please advise to what action you require with regards to the wiki... you have my email confirmation with contact details

cheers

I don't have a confirmation email from you - when you say confirmation email do you mean registering interest via the wiki page or actually sending through a PURCHASE CONFIRMATION with payment details?

Looks like I missed the GB...damn.

Anyone able to PM me the price these were going for??

Im trying to decide on whether to go for one of these or a 46" Sony X Series

I don't have a confirmation email from you - when you say confirmation email do you mean registering interest via the wiki page or actually sending through a PURCHASE CONFIRMATION with payment details?

Gday

Umm sent through PURCHASE CONFIRMATION email with payment details around 6pm adelaide time I think... only got home from work around then .. hopefully that just squeezes me in ...

Looks like I missed the GB...damn.

Anyone able to PM me the price these were going for??

Divulging the prices to anyone outside of the GB may ruin the whole thing for the other GB buyers. Check out here http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?s=&...st&p=859795 for prices that people are getting them for (outside of the GB).

Edited by Sydneyboy26
MrMaxwell.. hows it all going? I guess some of us are quite anxious as to if this GB has gone through at the set price...

I'm off now to submit our order details and work out logistics/delivery with my contact.

I'll report back this afternoon.

Should I post updates here or email the confirmed order distro list??

Should I post updates here or email the confirmed order distro list??

Not that I want to make it hard - but both would be best. It sounds like not all the e-mails are getting through.

I know there are some very anxious/excited people out there (myself included) hanging on every update.

73 panels....ouch :D :D :D

Would definitely have been 74 (another 50") had I not been overseas and still here for another 2 weeks. Was too awkward to arrange from here so I'm hoping that I can find a price like that sometime after xmas/new year. Damn it will be hard! Well done mrmaxwell and congrats to the lucky buyers.

Edited by markb
sorry MrMaxwell,

I won't be purchasing the PZ in light of the Samsung P9 prices (GB thread).

Sorry for the inconvenience I have caused.

With all due respect SOLIDsnake, you cannot be serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrMaxwell has spent countless hours on this GB, MrMaxwell CLEARLY stated that once you have emailed your purchase confirmation you are committed to the purchase. Therefore, if you have emailed your purchase confirmation (I note you have listed yourself as number 26 on wiki) then you are committed!!!!! and cannot pull out!!!!!!. Also, MrMaxwells post of this morning clearly stated he was going to the retailer to finalise the purchases today.

sorry MrMaxwell,

It's always wankers like you who compromise the future of group buys.. clearly you have committed to buying it by responding to the email which binds you to a contract.. MrMaxwell would have every right to pursue you in a civil court/tribunal and I hope he does.

There's a difference between a legitimate financial hardship and just finding a different product, after committing to buying this one.

Edited by jquirke
sorry MrMaxwell,

That is a little tight to everyone involved especially mrmaxwell with all the effort he has put in so far for yours and the rest of the GB's gain.

Besides whats the point in buying an inferior product to save a couple of dollars?!

Who's getting a bit testy waiting for their telly then? :rolleyes:

The dude obviously has enough problems, he's pulling out to get a samsung.

Seriously...

Yes I am getting a bit 'testy' because I reckon half the people who 'committed' to buying are full of **** - which is always the way it goes.. people just have no concept of following through with their word. And at the end of the day it f*cks me around.

**UPDATE**

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PEOPLE PULL OUT OF THE GROUP BUY because they have 'changed their minds' or prefer a so-called free smaller panel offer with their purchase.

PLEASE ACT LIKE AN ADULT AND KEEP YOUR COMMITTMENT. There are several people who missed out this round and now it seems for now reason.

I have put many hours into organising this pricing for us that cannot be had by the majority of us anywhere else - please ensure you play your part in this GB success.

Thanks

Derek.

apologies if my semi-GB has impacted on your GB at all

i do believe that anyone that actually committed to buying a PZ should not pull out just because they "think" they're getting a better deal.

there will always be a better deal

cheers

**UPDATE**

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PEOPLE PULL OUT OF THE GROUP BUY because they have 'changed their minds' or prefer a so-called free smaller panel offer with their purchase.

PLEASE ACT LIKE AN ADULT AND KEEP YOUR COMMITTMENT. There are several people who missed out this round and now it seems for now reason.

I have put many hours into organising this pricing for us that cannot be had by the majority of us anywhere else - please ensure you play your part in this GB success.

Thanks

Derek.

I agree. Btw, where are we on the GB? Are we all good? Will someone contact us? Any info will calm lot of minds here.

Mr maxwell is doing and has done a top job organising this G.B I've already been contacted by him. He will eventualy get to everyone via phone call or email just be patient. I think panels that are being picked up will be ready this weekend and the ones being delivered couldnt be too much longer then

I am just waiting for the phone call or email to say pay up and it is done. I really do hope that their is the stock of 50" PZ's cause everywhere I have been has only had the 42 or 58 on display with a notice saying that the 50" model is also available. I have been to a lot of stores over the past few days and the story has been the same, no 50's in sight.

Edited by mav
When would be the next one of these group buys?

I'm definetely getting one of these TV's in the next few weeks.

Where would be the cheapest way of buying one?

Thanks,

Jack

The next group buy will be whenever someone decides to organise one, pending interest from other members etc. I doubt there will be another one on the same model in the immediate future so you may be struggling if you want one 'cheap' in the next few weeks. Check out the "best prices" thread to see what people have been paying in general and use that as ammo when you go shopping. Best bet is just to hit up the major retailers (Myer, HN, GG, JB Hifi etc) and just play them off on each other. Make sure you know exactly what you want and how much you'd like to pay.

GB prices are not supposed to spread outside those interested in the group buy. By spreading word of the prices etc there are always idiots who will walk staright into a retailer and say "I can get a 20000 inch kuro for $10, can you beat it?". The retailer then complains to Pioneer (or whoever), butts get kicked and the GB gets cancelled. (Not saying you're an idiot, just telling you how it works ;) )