Mystar - Issues And Comments

Installers are testing? Do you mean the installers that have a MyStar, as part of their remuneration, are getting '84' pushed out to their STBs to allow them to test it?

I'm not an installer but this morning @ approx 05:15 EST (Wollongong) mycrap was showing L084 on the front display. When I left home at 05:45 it was still showing zero channels found. 'Er indoors rang me and told me that it was doing a channel search, getting to 39 channels found, then rebooting itself. She then hit the reset button and it did it another 9 times before she spat the dummy and pulled the power cable out. Plugged it back in and it then said the card was incorrectly installed. No one has touched the card. She pulled the card, re-inserted it and reset mycrap again and now it works. That was at 08:10. Nearly 3 hours of it resetting itself and a bit of female "technical" intervention. The main surprise is that it actually found the 4 FTA channels (not that I'd miss GO! anyway). If this is the standard of the release version of L084, I'd really hate to see the test version the installers were getting.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new fault, never seen before o our two mystupids

We recorded a show manually by pressing the record button on prime FTA because the EPG is stuffed up swapped back to front with sc10, the record light came on and we pressed stop at the end of the show. However, when we went to play it the planner says it is a completely different show (sc10s epg data) and all we get is that background blue screen with the big star on it. No play icons, no ff or rewind or any ipopup info. cuss POS! We didnt swap to a sat channel or another fta channel, we just let it record on the show that was being "viewed" and it still couldnt manage this simple task! ARGGGGGHHH!

new fault, never seen before o our two mystupids

We recorded a show manually by pressing the record button on prime FTA because the EPG is stuffed up swapped back to front with sc10, the record light came on and we pressed stop at the end of the show. However, when we went to play it the planner says it is a completely different show (sc10s epg data) and all we get is that background blue screen with the big star on it. No play icons, no ff or rewind or any ipopup info. cuss POS! We didnt swap to a sat channel or another fta channel, we just let it record on the show that was being "viewed" and it still couldnt manage this simple task! ARGGGGGHHH!

What wonderful news I have. We have a new fault also! Now my programming for FTA is stuffed up. It's never been a problem until the latest update (this specific fault anyway, we've had many many other problems). Now the info bar across the bottom of the screen is stuck on whatever program was on around midday for each FTA channel. Austar, you are an outstanding company when it comes to providing subscription TV. Not only have you never failed to complicate the provision of a PVR for pay TV but now you are failing on the FTA tv service. Outstanding!

This load 084 firmware is a disaster if the Mystar we have is anything to go by. Programs we previously managed to record on series link are now failing right, left and centre. FTA as Jason suggests just doesn't respond at all to recording demands whatever we attempt. What is Austar up to? Its time they spent money and got the professionals in, clearly the in-house mob they have there on the staff are not cutting it as they fumble about hopelessly.

A cheeky thought came to me, are Austar doing this on the eve of the HD Mystar launch purposely? So that they can then suggest to subscribers that their higher cost box is way better.

hey all, havent been here for a few months, glad to see I am not the only person still suffering from mystarboxitis, my main complaint is now we have the extra fta "GO!" my box doesnt seem to like the idea of having all these ftas and drops one or more every so often, sometimes u can have win but not go or vice versa, or maybe prime or sc10 needs a break and hides. I have had enough, the wife now wants the box ripped out, she asks why am I paying 15 bucks a month for this when it doesnt work? She was the one who said it would get better, but now hehehe. I am going to have to bite the bullet and ring Austar, I know waste of a call but at least then I can tell them to shove this heap of ****, one more question....... when they do finally bring out their HD box, and u subscibe to the hd channels etc, what happens if after a while u drop the hd channels, will they change your box back? Silly question, just something to play with while u wait for your mystar to reset itself again

(sorry to multi-post, want to make sure it's seen!)

Finally???! I was sent and e-mail just this afternoon offering the chance to provide my feedback about the MyStar.

If you haven't received it yet, try here http://survey.austar.com.au/esurvey.php?

When I clicked on the link in the e-mail, it had my e-mail address and customer ID on the end in the form http://survey.austar.com.au/esurvey.php?&a...ccount=11111111 not sure if it's necessary. Will see if I get disrupted service tonight after my comments ;-)

well this L84 seems to have not been tested properly on the FTA side. Both our mystupids failed on FTA recordings last night. Both were set for a recording through the EPG. Neither recorded the shows, not even a zero minute recording, nothing in the planner, and our daughter says the recording light came on for about two minutes on one, before the show started, then just went out 10 seconds before the show started! FFS!

• 2 weeks later...
The main surprise is that it actually found the 4 FTA channels (not that I'd miss GO! anyway). If this is the standard of the release version of L084, I'd really hate to see the test version the installers were getting.

Since I posted the quote above, I have found that I cannot have all 4 FTA channels at the same time. The best I get is 3. And that marvelous bug that was around previously where recorded and programmed shows disappear for no apparent reason has reared its ugly head yet again. I also have a problem where a 30 minute show (set to record 5 mins before and after) occasionally records 60 minutes before and finishes 30 minutes after. I individually set this when I program and it is also set up this way under recording settings. I have had no issues with the 30x Fast forward for a while though.

Edited by Byt_Al

The way to avoid it recording the previous program and the following one is to set the stupid box to another channel, rather than the one you will be recording.

It's the only way to avoid that problem.Re your other prob typical my#### prob.

Hope this helps.

I've been reading this forum for some time over the past months and have had most of the same problems - kinda makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one but yer seriously annoying.

I am (only) on my 2nd Mystar box - they only gave me that because - after having numerous problems getting the FTA channels to work a few months ago (even though they had been working perfectly previously) I was told it must be my antenna. OK (what would I know) - so after $250 and a new digital antenna installed by a professional - I was getting the same problems. I rang and told Austar and they got me a new Mystar. It was fine for a while and now gradually every day the problems are back. Like:

* The non-stop fast forward prob

* The the over-running ff and then rewind to try to get back a bit but that overruns - the ff/rew shuffle!! (ie: I should have just watched the ad and not bothered to ff)

* Very slow response to commands again - can take 15 mins or more to go thru my fave channels daily to set recordings (I have about 10 channels in my faves and don't record something on them all every day) Yer I know i can do Series Link but well it doesn't always work (as we know) so I have to check each day to make sure things are still listed to record.

Lately I've had 2 new probs - dunno if it's just me - but alot of the time I get some digital "jerking" on playback of some recordings - not digital breakup - just very tiny start-stops - it can last from a few seconds to a minute or so.

Another one is recordings that look like they are recording - but when finishing they say FAILED (I know others have experienced this too) - but before when I'd press the info button it usually said Power Failure (when there wasn't one) but now it just says TOO SHORT. hmmmm what?

I woke up to one of my progs saying it FAILED (for being TOO SHORT) so recorded it again as it still had another showing. It seemed to be fine - finished recording and said RECORDED (along with some others sitting waiting to be watched). I just had to reboot (again) due to glitches - and now i have a big column of FAILED recordings - others that previously said RECORDED are now listed as FAILED.

Anything like this happening to anyone else. Thanks!!

Anything like this happening to anyone else. Thanks!!

Yes. If you can stomach it, read the thread from the start. Two years on and not much has changed. Austar's remedy seems to be to arrange for people to join the forum and tell everyone that there's nothing wrong with the MyStar and that most people are having no problems at all with it.

I'd like to meet one of these 'most people'. :rolleyes:

LOL yeah I actually did start from the beginning some time ago when I first found this thread - via a google search for "Mystar problems"!! I've had most, if not all of the same glitches - it's just that for me these 2 seem to be "new" - I almost feel excited when it's a new problem hahaha.

It's funny but when I contacted Austar about all the probs I was having, I did it AFTER I had read this forum. I wanted to know before I rang up if I was the only one having these glitches - I found out I wasn't and felt a bit doomed by the fact that so many others were having the same probs, and were complaining but nothing was happening to fix it. But I rang up anyway (with my aforementioned FTA on again off again prob - I had other probs but that was the most annoying at the time). I mentioned that I had searched online and found people having the same probs as me (Maybe not the fta one but everything else) and she told me that if the people all rang up and complained (instead of posting here) then they (Austar) could know about it and perhaps could do something. I told her that the people DID ring up but nothing happens.

I have had a similar experience with austar re the antenna supposedly being faulty.Our house is only 3 years old and was professionly wired with the antenna

at the time of construction.We paid to get an antenna installer come and check it and lo and behold it was perfect.Austar were told yet they still try to blame the antenna.

Also they don't like it when you mention this group as like you I only found it after we had mys##t installed and had constant faults.Lets hope foxtel take over austar

and supply decent boxes.

Wow. Don't know how to finish but wow. So has everyone sent a complaint outlining their faults to austra to let them know what is wrong with your mystar ? Whats that saying, you can't fix a leaky pipe until you see where the waters coming from.

The problems are not with the Mystar but the firmware they write for it. It appears that whoever they're getting to do this for them are just not up to the task. I guess it might be a case of "you pay peanuts and you get monkeys".

The problems are not with the Mystar but the firmware they write for it. It appears that whoever they're getting to do this for them are just not up to the task. I guess it might be a case of "you pay peanuts and you get monkeys".

A level 2 tech I spoke to on one of my (countless) calls to whinge about the MyPOS bugs told me that Austar do it themselves.

It's like 20+ months now, and it amazes me that they still don't have a stable working box. Clueless developers or Austar apathy, probably a bit of both? Failed "Too Short" recordings are the latest innovation...

A level 2 tech I spoke to on one of my (countless) calls to whinge about the MyPOS bugs told me that Austar do it themselves.

It's like 20+ months now, and it amazes me that they still don't have a stable working box. Clueless developers or Austar apathy, probably a bit of both? Failed "Too Short" recordings are the latest innovation...

I met a guy once at a workshop who told me he WAS a software developer for austar. he said that all the coding etc was actually done in house. this guy didn't seem too bright so who knows.

Failed "Too Short" recordings are the latest innovation...

I spoke too soon. Timeshifting live TV didn't work for me last night.

Was watching a great who dunnit, and needed a snack, so hit the Pause button. Came back to find it still showing "0 minutes", oh oh... Sure enough, pressed Play and it leaped to live TV, and I missed 5 minutes and the show was ruined. :angry2:

yeah the TOO SHORT one is very annoying. After posting yesterday I found that quite a number of my recordings had mysteriously changed from being RECORDED to FAILED. (More than I first thought) After yet another reboot I did notice that my percentage of space left on the HDD had reduced by about 20% - that was why - somehow my unwatched recordings had "changed" from being there to being failed (and being wiped??)...........

Well it's a lottery as to if you get a minor buggy box or a swiss cheese buggy box

I guess I must not have won the lottery either, I pause live tv and go away and come back, not to 0 mins but saying exactly how many mins I had been away until I hit play and then it goes 120 mins, aarrgghhhhh, and then there is the one where recorded progs, if you ff the ads, it comes back with no voice for a few \seconds and then audio is out of sync, have to stop watching, and go bakc into planner and it is right, and skipping channels, thats annoying, plus forget scrolling thru channels, you either get the number 5 or active, or it just stops completely. There are many more probs, but I cannot be bothered listing them, as to the person who said have you emailed Austar, yep I sure did, and never got a response, they dont like hearing there are problems in this magical box. I hope their HD effort is better.

Edited by nephi66

Well our buggy mystupid has finally packed it in. I rewound a movie 10 minutes and was watching it happily for half an hour ten minutes behind then bang, it just went to live tv with no warning, then 2 minutes later froze. After waiting ten minutes I reset it and now it wont go past the red Austar screen and initialising recordings. Tried another reset, then power off five minutes as well, no go. Even waited 3 hours on the red screen before finally ringing austar, and you guessed it, their "fix" was first a reset, then a power off, and no go so it has to be replaced.

not happy Jan!

Oh and when I told the girl at Austar about the EPG being swapped on Prime and SC10 she said its the first she has ever heard of that fault! Despite my dozen or so calls and emails the people on the help desk dont know about it. hmmmm