Sign in to follow this  
whispa1970

Mystar - Issues And Comments

What you get is decided for by Austar according to your postcode. Disappointingly you have no control over the fta tuners on mystar whatsoever. Like everything with this paternal company you get what you're given - period.

I'm also on the Gold Coast and they've given me SC10, Prime, Seven, NBN, Nine & Ten.

I have to use my seperate fta box for dolby audio on ABC as its blocked on the mystar fta tuner.

Well if they only allowed me to get NSW channels based on my area code then I'll have to tell them not to bother. I watch QLD TV a lot and all the time during non daylight savings as my NSW channels go glitchy when aircraft fly over.

[Yes please I would also like to know if backing up to DVD is possible.

Are you able to just output the box via compsosite or soemthing to a DVD recorder and playback your recording in real time and record it to you DVD Recordwr?

Or is macrovisioned or something?

No its a PVR so no backing up to DVD. I have attempted this personally and got a message on my Panasonic to the effect that the source data is protected.

Edited by ozbrit

No its a PVR so no backing up to DVD. I have attempted this personally and got a message on my Panasonic to the effect that the source data is protected.

Even when running over composite?? I thought composite could only carry macrovision whereby the output picture is made to change bright to dark all the time??

I thought content having a protected tag on it could only be carried ovee digital?

I wonder if you can get around the issue inputting into a PC Capture card and get a hacked firmware to override the protection?

Well if they only allowed me to get NSW channels based on my area code then I'll have to tell them not to bother. I watch QLD TV a lot and all the time during non daylight savings as my NSW channels go glitchy when aircraft fly over.

If you ring Austar and tell them that the FTA TV area is wrong, they can actually change it remotetly (I have done it with mine).

So give them a call and ask them which transmitter you watch TV from.

Interesting:

I just ran an angry IP scan on my network once i pluged the mystar into the network,

And it rebooted it

So i thought this is a once off, ran it again and sure enough it rebooted it again...

I'll try individual IP addresses soon and see if ican pinpoint it.

i run a 192.168.0.X network if anyone discovers if mystr is dhcp enabled, my server didn't appear to assign it an IP address so maybe it is static.

Edited by bcann

If you ring Austar and tell them that the FTA TV area is wrong, they can actually change it remotetly (I have done it with mine).

So give them a call and ask them which transmitter you watch TV from.

I don't have one but it would be pointless for me to get one when they are available if they don't allow to get NSW and QLD channels like I currently can. I often flick between NSW and QLD channels during daylight savings, but in non daylight savings time stick to QLD 90% of the time.

Interesting:

Try throwing a few IP broadcasts in as well. If it does have an address it might respond.

Try throwing a few IP broadcasts in as well. If it does have an address it might respond.

its definitely enabled....

is running in 10Mbit mode...

i suspect it is igmp disabled

If only i was at work and had access to a more advanced switch .. i could interrogate that and at least find its mac address..

Edited by bcann

If you have a hub instead of a switch, or even a cross over cable you could sniff the ethernet with your PC.

I havent got the money to get it and i'm not rushing out to get it.Because i do not want to be treated like a guinea pig.I cant wait to get it for the convenience however.

Seriously, stop being a troll. People arnt getting treated like guinea pigs. I cant believe the arrogance of some people on here. You have been invited to have a pre-retail release product before a shitload of other people, and the majority of you just ****. "oh it should do this oh it should do that oh im so smart I could make something a bajillion times better"

You tell em what you want and they might do it for you. Well actually tell the installer what you want and you'll more than likely get it - nobody has any control over where you point your terrestrial antenna except you. :-)

Seriously, stop being a troll. People arnt getting treated like guinea pigs. I cant believe the arrogance of some people on here. You have been invited to have a pre-retail release product before a shitload of other people, and the majority of you just ****. "oh it should do this oh it should do that oh im so smart I could make something a bajillion times better"

Let me guess - someone on here will soon say "well its been so long and they said they delayed it to iron the bugs out" as the counter argument :-)....

All bets are open boys and girls! How long before someone reminds us all of this fact? :-)

Hahaha :lol: ! And what would you know? Obviously you're unaware the email from Austar did use that particular "guinea pig" description for subscribers registered for Mystar to try it out before its launch to the wider public. I've been looking for that email but sadly I've rashly deleted it. I'm sure others will still have theirs. This forum gets more paradoxical by the day.

Hahaha :lol: ! And what would you know? Obviously you're unaware the email from Austar did use that particular "guinea pig" description for subscribers registered for Mystar to try it out before its launch to the wider public. I've been looking for that email but sadly I've rashly deleted it. I'm sure others will still have theirs. This forum gets more paradoxical by the day.

Im well aware of the email thanks champ, and no where does it state that if you have been invited for a pre-release mystar install, that you will be a guinea pig, nor does it even come close to emphasizing it. The real "guinea pigs" are the programmers, the developers, and the staff who have trialed it well before they have been issued to customers.

Sorry, but judging by your previous post's also, your just grasping at straws to have a dig at austar, and its quite sad.

Im well aware of the email thanks champ, and no where does it state that if you have been invited for a pre-release mystar install, that you will be a guinea pig, nor does it even come close to emphasizing it. The real "guinea pigs" are the programmers, the developers, and the staff who have trialed it well before they have been issued to customers.

Sorry, but judging by your previous post's also, your just grasping at straws to have a dig at austar, and its quite sad.

You are right. Not guinea pigs as such, BUT, official Austar documentation does states "Commercial Customer Trial" I guess a step to help in any issues with installations (Which there have been some) and see what customers will do to them?

On another note, the new Austar online EPG was supposed to be out today, but nothing seen yet? I hate to say it, but.....no never mind. Will wait.