Sign in to follow this  
whispa1970

Mystar - Issues And Comments

(which at 3 Mbps for sat compared to 5.4 Mbps for terrestrial gives a blurry second rate picture).

That's not a valid comparison. The versions of the ABC you see via Austar are very much VBR encodes. Typically they average 2.5Mbit/sec (far too low hence the quality issue), but can peak far beyond that - up to around 6Mbit/sec depending on what is going on with the other programs in the mux. ABC's terrestrial SD is essentially CBR 5.4Mbit/sec.

That's not a valid comparison. The versions of the ABC you see via Austar are very much VBR encodes. Typically they average 2.5Mbit/sec (far too low hence the quality issue), but can peak far beyond that - up to around 6Mbit/sec depending on what is going on with the other programs in the mux. ABC's terrestrial SD is essentially CBR 5.4Mbit/sec.

Don't forget also, that ABC dictate what the bitrate should be. Every (commerical) channel is so paranoid about how a channel looks and feels to a customer. So may be its ABC who don't give a toss? Granted that channel 102 isn't crash hot either, but ABC tried to fit as much as they could on their own transponder, both TV and radio channels. Some of it is their (ABC's) own fault.

I think Austar should have allowed ABC and SBS terrestrial. They do appear in the 'Local Channels' genre in the EPG which to some they may feel as if its a little misleading.

anyone know what to program a harmony remote as to talk with the mystar... without having to prgram in the extra keys??

Just got mine today.

anyone know what to program a harmony remote as to talk with the mystar... without having to prgram in the extra keys??

Just got mine today.

Should be exactly the same as for the Atlas/Flinders or Titan STB if your had one of those.

Both the remotes work for any of the STB's.

Should be exactly the same as for the Atlas/Flinders or Titan STB if your had one of those.

Both the remotes work for any of the STB's.

but you have to add the extra buttons ... oh well ...

My TV Guide seems to be working a bit better now. It's still slower than my old box but at least it's not freezing all the time! I'm thinking about emailing Austar and telling them they HAVE to change the music on the TV Guide Planner!

We've been giving it a good working out recording wise and it seems to be handling it all OK. Although I still haven't been able to get it to record Neighbours every night of the week using a Manual Recording, anyone else tried this?

do you have autotune like on foxtel ?

so it automatically changes channel to the program you have set a reminder for ?

thats very important for me :)

Edited by billyb67

do you have autotune like on foxtel ?

so it automatically changes channel to the program you have set a reminder for ?

thats very important for me :)

No.

No.

Really makes me wonder what Austar has against such a simple feature. None of their boxes do it.

Basic GUI principles - provide user feedback as possible. So display a reminder on the screen asking if they want to change channel rather than just changing it. You guys want it to be able to record stuff off it. Tell me, how many times have you watched what you've recorded already? And given the number of times that you've watched the same thing over and over again, how much time overall do you spend watching Austar? :-)

This has to be one of the most asked for features I hear about, yet Austar has consistently failed to provide it.

This has to be one of the most asked for features I hear about, yet Austar has consistently failed to provide it.

Lets not generalise. Perhaps its the most asked for feature by a minority group (of enthusiasts?)? *shrug* Thats the only reason why I can think of. Don't get me wrong, as a customer I would love to see it myself as well.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Still cheaper all round than Foxtel/IQ! :rolleyes:

so was anyone asked for contact details to provide feedback to austar? or are we just the first of many to get the mystar??

I would've thought that this is effectively a "soft launch" wih us guinea pigs to sort out te final issues and that we would be contacted on a frequent basis to judge feedback...

Or is that just me?