Mystar - Issues And Comments

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100% illegal. Doesn't stop people from doing it though.

LOL. It may be a violation of the contract signed the subscriber signed with Foxtel (i.e. not relocating to another premises), but that is a civil contract issue, and certainly NOT a criminal violation and therefore NOT ILLEGAL.

The absolute worst that could happen is that Foxtel would block access to programming, request their equipment back (or charge you their cost) and request early contract termination fees.

I wonder what the legalities of such a setup would be.

FYI AUSTAR Customer agreement states:

3.3 Unauthorized use of the AUSTAR TV Service

You must not copy the AUSTAR TV Service or any part or it or split, redirect, redistribute or otherwise offer or supply any AUSTAR TV Service to any other people outside premises without our prior written authorization. We may suspend provision of the AUSTAR TV Service if we have reasonable belief that you have breached this clause or clause 3.2. We may terminate or suspend this agreement if we reasonably belief that you have breached this clause or clause 3.2, have asked you to explain your conduct and you have failed to do so satisfactorily.

I don't know what FOXTELS contract says but i imagine it would be similar.

So i guess a slap over the wrist is about all that would happen.

Edited by austartech

Just a bit of an update.....I rang Austar and asked them to come and get 2 of the 3 mystar box's as I have got the shits ....the lady went on to say that we will send out a tech to see what the issue is and try and fix it for you....I said that you have had more than enough time to fix this heap of **** and I don't want the 2 faulty box's.....she goes on for a while about it being a known issue with my Plasma etc and then offers me a credit for this month and said that she will send out the tech in 2 day....yes 2 DAYS....so I said fine last time.....so the tech was to be here today in the morning....sat around waiting ( like I have nothing to do) and he/she never showed up, so I rang Austar at 4pm to see if they could tell me where he/she was and they go on the tell me "we don't know where the tech is ....we can't get him on the phone and his message bank is full"....plus "his manager won't answer his phone"...FARK ME....so she said that someone will call me back soon and let me know what is going on......kept waiting.....now 5.30pm.....waiting.....5.45pm 2 guys at the door from some private company telling me that "Austar called us to have a look at you Austar, we don't know what is wrong they just said to come here and fix it"....Great....so I went on to tell them what has been going on and how I have been told that it is my Plasma's causing all the probs and 1 tech said "that it bullshit, they will tell you anything to shut you up and you will find that what they tell you is noted on the screen so the next person will say the same thing". So anyway he swapped the mystar box's for new one's and 1 was OK but the other one jammed in the first 30 seconds (the tech was going off calling it all sorts of things....like I do) in the end he got them both to work but said "don't hold your breath as it may stuff up again". Now for some facts that he told me....first Austar don't want you to swap back as they are getting rid of all the other boxes, they want the mystar to be the standard box in all homes...wonderful!!!, second all the austar techs are leaving, due to this shitty mystar and all the problems, and that my be what happened to the tech that never showed up today....he's had a gut full like Austars customers and left. and 3rd did you know that Austar want you to have a crap picture? the tech said Austar don't like it if you upscale or upconvert you picture (like I have, up to a 1080p) he said that if you call up with a issue and you say your using any kind of upscale/convert (eg DVD-R with HDMI out, AV Receiver with HDMI out) they can refuse to help you.....un-real and yet I have a email here saying that Austar digital is HD (i know it isn't) and the picture I see is clear, clean and sharp...bullshit, until I upscaled/converted I had crap image and that is how it is meant to be....if you ask Austar.

If at this point Austar tried to take away my standard box, lumber me with a MyStar and then charge me $15 / month for the privilege, it'd be goodbye Austar. Even if the MyStar cost nothing more than the standard box, I'd be out.

sorts of things....like I do) in the end he got them both to work but said "don't hold your breath as it may stuff up again". Now for some facts that he told me....first Austar don't want you to swap back as they are getting rid of all the other boxes, they want the mystar to be the standard box in all homes

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Firstly, the standard boxes are slow and limited in function. Secondly, if the Mystar becomes the "standard box" then it can't continue to charge an extra $14 a month for it. Well, it can, I s'pose, but it's hard to justify.

all the austar techs are leaving, due to this shitty mystar and all the problems,

When I had the tech visit, firstly to install the Mystar, and later on to try and fix the problems, he was telling me that as a contractor he is given notice of jobs usually the night before. He then rings the customers to arrange a time to visit. Then he tells me that he gets paid a fixed amount for each job, and the amount depends on the job. He had to fix another tech's stuff up and run a new cable for the dish. He said that he wouldn't be paid for that bit of work.

As for the Mystar the tex get bugger all training on it. In fact mine was the first one that he installed. And it was a hit and miss affair to get it up and running. He sounded somewhat jaded with Austar, but for him it's regular work in an industry that can often mean sporadic work. The guy's in his 60s so I assume that he's marking time til retirement.

Austar don't like it if you upscale or upconvert you picture

Why? It doesn't affect the performance of the unit.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Firstly, the standard boxes are slow and limited in function. Secondly, if the Mystar becomes the "standard box" then it can't continue to charge an extra $14 a month for it. Well, it can, I s'pose, but it's hard to justify.

It is a bad thing because the box is faulty, has backward technology, has NO HDMI, the hard drive is too small...in a time of 1000gb drives. At least the Standard boxes work.

When I had the tech visit, firstly to install the Mystar, and later on to try and fix the problems, he was telling me that as a contractor he is given notice of jobs usually the night before. He then rings the customers to arrange a time to visit. Then he tells me that he gets paid a fixed amount for each job, and the amount depends on the job. He had to fix another tech's stuff up and run a new cable for the dish. He said that he wouldn't be paid for that bit of work.

I have never in my 11 years with Austar had a tech call me to make a time to come out...this is what Austar does when you first call them to book the tech, they tell you when a spot is free and it will be a all day, a morning or a Afternoon appointment, plus if the tech has to do other work while on the site, that tech needs to make a note of it on the paperwork so that he gets paid, that what all the techs that have come here have done.

As for the Mystar the tex get bugger all training on it. In fact mine was the first one that he installed. And it was a hit and miss affair to get it up and running. He sounded somewhat jaded with Austar, but for him it's regular work in an industry that can often mean sporadic work. The guy's in his 60s so I assume that he's marking time til retirement.

This is what i mean the tech have had it and most are leaving, i guess new tech would come in,but after some time and the same amount of crap they too will leave....i was making a point

Why? It doesn't affect the performance of the unit.

Thats right but it goes to show how shitty the picture is when you use the Std RCA or RGB out, into a Large Plasma or LCD via the RCA the image is all pixels and crap, however if you upscale or convert you will get a very clear image as good as SD and some HD channels, Austar don't like you knowing how backward they are.

It is a bad thing because the box is faulty, has backward technology, has NO HDMI, the hard drive is too small...in a time of 1000gb drives. At least the Standard boxes work.

And so does this. If the unit is to be made available for no extra cost why not go for it? That is, if Austar decides to go down this path, that is. At least then you get something that can record two channels at once. Right now you don't have that option, nor can you program it to switch to whatever channel that it is you wish to record to a HDD/DVD recorder or whatever.

I have never in my 11 years with Austar had a tech call me to make a time to come out...

I too have gone through the same process as you outlined. But in my case when the tech is booked he's always called us the night before to arrange a time.

Thats right but it goes to show how shitty the picture is when you use the Std RCA or RGB out, into a Large Plasma or LCD via the RCA the image is all pixels and crap

Is this the same for composite video and RGB? I assume though, you mean component video as this is what the Mystar outputs.

however if you upscale or convert you will get a very clear image as good as SD and some HD channels

How do you do this? What equipment do you use and what do you connect it to? And what's this about HD when we don't receive it? How can you compare?

And so does this. If the unit is to be made available for no extra cost why not go for it? That is, if Austar decides to go down this path, that is. At least then you get something that can record two channels at once. Right now you don't have that option, nor can you program it to switch to whatever channel that it is you wish to record to a HDD/DVD recorder or whatever.

i have NEVER had a failed recording when using a HDD DVD-R and with the mystar i have had so many missed/failed etc, i can't remember, however if it is a no extra cost then i may have kept it but as of now it is $14.45 for each box, and until they (Austar) fix this crap they call state-of-the-art they can keep them, if you love it so much then good on you but it is my money that is being wasted on a STB that doesn’t do what Austar says it should do.

I too have gone through the same process as you outlined. But in my case when the tech is booked he's always called us the night before to arrange a time.

Well i never have had a tech call me the night before( plus too bad if you had plans for that day) i have had Austar call me the day before to confirm the Appointment so i don't know why they call you and i really don't give a ****.

Is this the same for composite video and RGB? I assume though, you mean component video as this is what the Mystar outputs.

The mystar has 3 outputs, 1st is the standard RCA (RED, WHITE, YELLOW) 2nd is Component (RED, GREEN, BLUE) and the 3rd is coax (TV Aerial out) and anyone with a LCD or Plasma bigger than a 42" will know that the PQ is crap, use it on a CRT TV and the pic is pretty good. The component out makes the pic a little better but it is still full of pixels.

How do you do this? What equipment do you use and what do you connect it to? And what's this about HD when we don't receive it? How can you compare?

If you looked at the bottom of any of my posts you will see a list of what i have. Plus it you took the time to think and read what i wrote you will see that i said I HAVE A PICTURE AS GOOD AS IF NOT THE SAME AS HD....i NEVER said Austar was HD....i have a AV Receiver that has a micro processor that will convert a analogue (Austar) input up to a 1080p Image, giving me a very clear clean image without the pixels that most large Plasma's or LCD will get. and have you heard of FTA TV you see on FTA there is some HD channels and if you have a modern TV (like i do) it will have a HD FTA tuner built in, so i can go to a FTA HD channel and look at the clear image and the sharp smooth edges and then go back to Austar and see how good it looks. Anything else you would like to know.....thanks.

If you looked at the bottom of any of my posts you will see a list of what i have. Plus it you took the time to think and read what i wrote you will see that i said I HAVE A PICTURE AS GOOD AS IF NOT THE SAME AS HD....i NEVER said Austar was HD

It's what you wrote or how you expressed it that gave me the impression that you were trying to compare Pay television SD v HD vision.

Whatever, it's not worth you bursting a blood vessel over it.

While I don't have the same bragging rights as you (I have a 3 year old Panasonic SD 42" plasma and an older Sony 7.1 AV receiver), the picture quality when connected via component through the Sony to the Panasonic via component looks pretty good to me. Also, I watch motorcycle racing, and whenever Channel Ten is broadcasting the MotoGP at the same time as Fox Sports I switch between my Topfield SD PVR and the Mystar to compare picture quality.

I can't pick the difference between the two. Both look pretty clear to me. So, in that respect the PQ of the Mystar is as equal to any SD set top box out there and when connected to an SD plasma.

One day, when I can spare the cash I'll get a HD TV. I'll be able to see what the Mystar limitations are then. But right now, I'm stuck with SD and for me it's pretty good. And it will do.

I got my mystar installed around four weeks ago, few little problems here and there like the fast forwarding issue and recordings failing or potentially failing. I don't understand if something is in the future like an hour or two away from what you are recording how can it clash???

Oh well back to the point. On Thursday I had free to air but the austar channels said error E52 there is a storm or something in the area (no weather issues at all), at this point both FTA and the previously recorded programmes still worked. Later on I pressed the reset button which killed the whole system basically. After this the mystar would not move past the looking for channels blue screen and says their is no signal etc. However the bedroom connection (not mystar) the Austar channels work perfectly.

Now after pressing reset the previously saved programs cannot be watched the title comes up on the box but when you press play all it is, is a black screen and nothing.

Called Austar after pressing reset, they got me to unplug cords and put them back in again and then press reset again but still nothing. They are sending a tech out Monday to fix the problem.

Have anyone experienced my problem and if so what action did you take to be able to watch the recorded programs at least?

:unsure:

It's what you wrote or how you expressed it that gave me the impression that you were trying to compare Pay television SD v HD vision.

While I don't have the same bragging rights as you (I have a 3 year old Panasonic SD 42" plasma and an older Sony 7.1 AV receiver), the picture quality when connected via component through the Sony to the Panasonic via component looks pretty good to me. Also, I watch motorcycle racing, and whenever Channel Ten is broadcasting the MotoGP at the same time as Fox Sports I switch between my Topfield SD PVR and the Mystar to compare picture quality.

I can't pick the difference between the two. Both look pretty clear to me. So, in that respect the PQ of the Mystar is as equal to any SD set top box out there and when connected to an SD plasma.

One day, when I can spare the cash I'll get a HD TV. I'll be able to see what the Mystar limitations are then. But right now, I'm stuck with SD and for me it's pretty good. And it will do.

You won't see much if any difference when you're using lower end equipment. My neighbour across the road has a Base 32inch CRT TV - one year old from Target. He was telling me his PQ is as good with RCA video lead connection as it is when he's connected it up with S-video. He's demonstrated this to me and he's right.

My neighbour across the road has a Base 32inch CRT TV - one year old from Target. He was telling me his PQ is as good with RCA video lead connection as it is when he's connected it up with S-video. He's demonstrated this to me and he's right.

narrow mindedness Yep, I used to "see' this when I was an "audiophile" in the 80s, my mates would tell me that there $200 3 in 1 was great, "perfect sound" and they couldnt see why I paid a lot of dosh for a linn sondek and amp and speakers that cost more than their car. BTW that amp still works, and the speakers still sound great. They also thought I was mad buying a hifi vcr, subwoofer etc.. now its normal to blow loads of dosh on av equipment, just like now its normal to have a home computer, back in the eighties I was a "nerd" because i had a computer. I still remember a dickhead at a pub in 1996 having a go at me because i had a mobile phone (supplied by my work for on call purposes) but i bet he and his kids have them now

It is essentially true that austar intends for mystar to be the standard sat box. They do however have an awful lot of new flinders units to install first. The stupidity of this company never ceases to amaze. If they have plans to make mystar the only box then it would make sense to run 2 cables for every new installation to avoid hassles down the track with trying to run extra cable, but then again this is the same company that utterly refuses point blank to pre-cable new homes. Anyone reading this and building or renovating just go ahead and get your sparky or TV installer to do it or run it yourselves before the gyprock goes on. RG6 is cheap by the 305 metre roll and you can just run heaps of it around the place

It may be presumptuous, but you have skillfully evaded the issue at hand, which is DO you work for AUSTAR or a related company?

Personally I'd be embarrassed if you do because I do, and I have no qualms about saying so and neither should you if that's the case.

While you do raise a good point (ie if you have an issue ring tech support) it does sound like a poorly scripted advertisement!

I'd like to point out I am not here representing my employer and any opinions or comments I make are my own on my own time and will be limited to my own experiences. I may be unable to comment on issues related to the business, given that it's a publicly listed company and all the standard legal stuff that applies there.

I deal with MySTAR on a day to day basis. I have one at home.

Have I had any issues with mine? Yes, prior to L54 it was occasionally freezing.

Do I like the MySTAR? Overall, Yes I do it's a fantastic concept although it bothers me that there's a small percentage of users out there who are having issues.

Call me an idealist but I'd like to see everyone happy, and from an insiders perspective I can say that I genuinely believe AUSTAR does too.

OK Emre, so you own up to being an Austar employee who 'deals' with Mystar on a day to day basis. You haven't had any issues with Mystar since L54 huh! When did you get it? I downloaded it around the time you made your posting, there was little improvement with my box and then the LCD display failed. I was given a replacement and all the usual faults were happening with this new unit as well. I'll list a few:-

1. Programs in the planner not recording at the prescribed time and sits in the un-recorded side until I delete.

2. Black screens, requiring a re-boot

3. I was watching football on a delayed basis (by 30-40 mins) part way through the match the picture freezes, I can't issue the box with any demands - it is frozen. I power the box off and on, after 2-3 mins the pictures back, I look in the planner and there was another program recording and another programmed to start at the very moment my box froze. I get no message to say I'll have to stop one of the recordings, as a result I lose most of the match I was so eagerly waiting to view.

4. Programs in the planner are serial linked and correct in the planner when I go to bed monday night then next morning they've mysteriously disappeared. I've just re-checked the planner this morning (wed) and 'glory be' they're back. So I lost both of yesterdays serial link recordings, whats that all about Emre?

Just a few off the top of my head, as I've said in previous posts if it weren't for the component video & digital audio I'd have done away with this box ages ago. Why isn't there a standard Austar box with these connections, when they're standard even on $50 SD FTA units?

I wonder Emre are you on the Gold Coast? Contrary to what you claim that these problems are affecting only a few users, I wonder what with you being an Austar employee dealing with Mystar boxes on a day to day basis if you'll be prepared to arrange for your problem free box to be exchanged for my second (yes second) bug ridden one? I hope you'll put the customer first when considering this request.

Its also of note that you've registered and made only 6 posts, it appears the only reason for you registering and posting is to scoff at those of us with real problems and to publicise the notion these problems are only afflicting a very few users. A weak attempt at damage control, but to those of us with real problems its insulting.

Edited by ozbrit

OK Emre, so you own up to being an Austar employee who 'deals' with Mystar on a day to day basis. You haven't had any issues with Mystar since L54 huh! When did you get it? I downloaded it around the time you made your posting, there was little improvement with my box and then the LCD display failed. I was given a replacement and all the usual faults were happening with this new unit as well. I'll list a few:-

1. Programs in the planner not recording at the prescribed time and sits in the un-recorded side until I delete.

2. Black screens, requiring a re-boot

3. I was watching football on a delayed basis (by 30-40 mins) part way through the match the picture freezes, I can't issue the box with any demands - it is frozen. I power the box off and on, after 2-3 mins the pictures back, I look in the planner and there was another program recording and another programmed to start at the very moment my box froze. I get no message to say I'll have to stop one of the recordings, as a result I lose most of the match I was so eagerly waiting to view.

4. Programs in the planner are serial linked and correct in the planner when I go to bed monday night then next morning they've mysteriously disappeared. I've just re-checked the planner this morning (wed) and 'glory be' they're back. So I lost both of yesterdays serial link recordings, whats that all about Emre?

Just a few off the top of my head, as I've said in previous posts if it weren't for the component video & digital audio I'd have done away with this box ages ago. Why isn't there a standard Austar box with these connections, when they're standard even on $50 SD FTA units?

I wonder Emre are you on the Gold Coast? Contrary to what you claim that these problems are affecting only a few users, I wonder what with you being an Austar employee dealing with Mystar boxes on a day to day basis if you'll be prepared to arrange for your problem free box to be exchanged for my second (yes second) bug ridden one? I hope you'll put the customer first when considering this request.

Its also of note that you've registered and made only 6 posts, it appears the only reason for you registering and posting is to scoff at those of us with real problems and to publicise the notion these problems are only afflicting a very few users. A weak attempt at damage control, but to those of us with real problems its insulting.

I've said I work for "Austar or a related company". I haven't defined that, nor do I intend to. I got L54 around the same time everyone else did, and I haven't had any issues with it, but then I didn't have any with L51 either. Go figure..

I have no idea what's causing your issues, and no you can't have my box, although you're not the first male to ask! lol

As stated I'm here in my capacity as a user of the MySTAR. I don't recall scoffing at anyone's issues but I sure as hell have no intention of biting my tongue when I read some of the absolute bullshit some people have written as being fact.

One thing that stands out here, is that there is a hardcore minority who will flame and attack anyone coming in without a negative comment about mystar or austar, who engage in conspiracy theories, and slander and defame austar and john porter, and who blatantly lie in order to attempt to strengthen their position.

Sorry fellas, homie don't play that way. I'm not playing to your agenda or anyone elses.

I might suggest if you can lose the attitude and engage in some constructive criticism for a change, this forum could easily become a positive force contributing towards the resolution of the issues you have, instead of the lunchtime entertainment for anyone looking for nominees for the 'net kook' award

ciào

It is essentially true that austar intends for mystar to be the standard sat box. They do however have an awful lot of new flinders units to install first. The stupidity of this company never ceases to amaze. If they have plans to make mystar the only box then it would make sense to run 2 cables for every new installation to avoid hassles down the track with trying to run extra cable, but then again this is the same company that utterly refuses point blank to pre-cable new homes. Anyone reading this and building or renovating just go ahead and get your sparky or TV installer to do it or run it yourselves before the gyprock goes on. RG6 is cheap by the 305 metre roll and you can just run heaps of it around the place

That would certainly make sense IF they have plans to make mystar the only box. What would make more sense is not to pointlessly invest in infrastructure they can't be certain will be used.

I guess you don't actually have a clue after all, do you.

HTH

Not a lot of point getting an HD TV unless your SD packs up, there's bugger all out there to justify the expense.

As for anyone bragging about what equipment they have in their house, all that says to me is "Hi, I have a small penis"

For the life of me I cannot understand the male need to inflate their own ego with cars and electronics.

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that anyone that actually uses their mystar has trouble free operation. Anyone I know directly that is afflicted with one has precisely the same problems experienced by people posting in this thread. L54 was supposedly the saviour but to be blunt it looks like its a turkey too.

Not a lot of point getting an HD TV unless your SD packs up, there's bugger all out there to justify the expense.

As for anyone bragging about what equipment they have in their house, all that says to me is "Hi, I have a small penis"

Hi I have a small penis but i've got a huge tv! LG 60" HDTV Plasma TV

P.S Emre whats the weather like up in Ashmore?

Edited by deathwish