Mystar - Issues And Comments

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basic GUI principles - provide user feedback as possible. So display a reminder on the screen asking if they want to change channel rather than just changing it. You guys want it to be able to record stuff off it. Tell me, how many times have you watched what you've recorded already? And given the number of times that you've watched the same thing over and over again, how much time overall do you spend watching Austar? :-)

This has to be one of the most asked for features I hear about, yet Austar has consistently failed to provide it.

Lets not generalise. Perhaps its the most asked for feature by a minority group (of enthusiasts?)? *shrug* Thats the only reason why I can think of. Don't get me wrong, as a customer I would love to see it myself as well.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Still cheaper all round than Foxtel/IQ! :rolleyes:

so was anyone asked for contact details to provide feedback to austar? or are we just the first of many to get the mystar??

I would've thought that this is effectively a "soft launch" wih us guinea pigs to sort out te final issues and that we would be contacted on a frequent basis to judge feedback...

Or is that just me?

so was anyone asked for contact details to provide feedback to austar? or are we just the first of many to get the mystar??

I would've thought that this is effectively a "soft launch" wih us guinea pigs to sort out te final issues and that we would be contacted on a frequent basis to judge feedback...

Or is that just me?

Just you I am thinking. They already know the issues, considering that many have been installed for some 3 or 4 months now.

Austar are also looking at the actual install time and issues that may arrise from that, as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

There are other issues with the FTA such as some towns being in the middle of 2 transmitters, such as Melbourne and Ballarat, some customers receive ballarat only, when the neighbour receives Melbourne only.

Apart from that, things are going smootly so far as the customer will see.

Just you I am thinking. They already know the issues, considering that many have been installed for some 3 or 4 months now.

Austar are also looking at the actual install time and issues that may arrise from that, as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

There are other issues with the FTA such as some towns being in the middle of 2 transmitters, such as Melbourne and Ballarat, some customers receive ballarat only, when the neighbour receives Melbourne only.

I had Austar give me a call tonight asking if they could have a quality control inspector come and have a look at the work done last week (the mystar install) I had to say no cos no one will be home. Anyone else get a call like that?

I had Austar give me a call tonight asking if they could have a quality control inspector come and have a look at the work done last week (the mystar install) I had to say no cos no one will be home. Anyone else get a call like that?

Thats common for any install, regardless if its mystar or not. you could of had an outlet relocated,full new install, additional outlet. they will be there for less than 5 mins, they just want to check out how it was installed / how it looks, no big deal.

You don't know whether or not it will be implemented. Are you professing that you can tell the future plans for Austar? :-)

If there are so many customers who gasp for such a feature as you say, then in that case the number of calls to Austar made by customers should be high and rising in that case? Can you tell me if that is occurring?

If you don't know, then you can't expect a company to change its functions based on a fraction of percentage of customers' feedback. I know I made a call twice about this. I believe that this has not been implemented because I am guessing that some decoder models are not able to do such things and of the 7 or so different decoder models, if one can't do such a function, then the function will not be implemented on the ones that can. However, the counter argument is that all the aspect ratio options are not available on all decoder models?? For example, ST20's won't do letterbox or postcard and the other models do! So its a case of "things that make you go hmmm" - I suppose in conclusion if auto tuning is as rampant and important as setting aspect ratios, then I'm sure it would have been implemented regardless.

As for implementation in my mind, I think at the very least it would be easy to put in an extra option in the Active menu - "do you want a reminder notification to appear on the screen or do you want the decoder to automatically tune to the service when the time arrives"? I think that would be the most effective of simple enhancements.

You don't know whether or not it will be implemented. Are you professing that you can tell the future plans for Austar?

I believe that this has not been implemented because I am guessing that some decoder models are not able to do such things and of the 7 or so different decoder models, if one can't do such a function, then the function will not be implemented on the ones that can.

Ah, I see. Its ok for you to make guesses, but not me. Thanks for the advice, duly noted. :blink:

Even the most humble of Austar's decoders are more than capable of doing it, simple observation should have told you that. A sensible approach to the implementation would be to have another option in the EPG area, set a reminder - or - set an auto channel change event. No need for a global switch that removes the reminder option, someone out there might actually use the reminder function.

Which is really really nice; pushing out product with known 'issues' to the subscribers. Looks like Austar and Foxtel aren't all that different afterall.

To me this 'limited' release is a final shake down, its just not advertised as such.

as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

That's interesting.

I do FTA installs all the time, and wonder as this thing rolls out how a technician will cope when they strike a difficult FTA receive area, and believe me, they are out there. The fall back of installing a digital only (whatever that is) antenna will not always solve the problem.

Is there level 2/3 expertise to call when things go sour on that side of the equation? :unsure:

The fta tuners only give 7,9 & 10 but no channel 2 which is broadcasting a dolby digital pro-logic code, the channel 2 from the satellite is PCM (basic stereo) only.

A small birdie* has whispered in my ear and has told me the reason that FTA ABC transmission isn't used is to allow viewers to use 'interactive' applications when the ABC broadcasts them. It was thought that if two lots of ABCs were listed (one FTA, one sat) the viewers would become confused setting timer events and working out which ABC supported interactive apps etc. That there are two ABC main channels in the channel list anyway (NSW and a state based version) seems to have slipped past someone with this line of thought.

*birdie flies higher than a lowly installer

The program guide on Mystar is still sluggish to load and at times refuses to load completely. No good at all for scheduling recordings. one touch recording off the program guide is supposed to be Mystars #1 virtue. I hope they don't release Mystar until this problems been fixed. I had a techie round and he said the prob was known at Austar and is being worked on.

Ah, I see. Its ok for you to make guesses, but not me. Thanks for the advice, duly noted. :blink:

Even the most humble of Austar's decoders are more than capable of doing it, simple observation should have told you that. A sensible approach to the implementation would be to have another option in the EPG area, set a reminder - or - set an auto channel change event. No need for a global switch that removes the reminder option, someone out there might actually use the reminder function.

Thats not how it was meant to come out. The reasons you give are that Austar don't want customers to have it and "as per usual, they won't listen to their customers" etc etc which I think are getting a bit unoriginal now and sound like a broken record like you had something against the company. At least what my hypotheses and yes I said "hypotheses" are that mine are constructive criticisms against Austar that their non-PVR decoder technology is getting too outdated. Many seem to use "they are like this" and "they won't do this because of Mystar" as if what you say is going to happen. Bit like the v5.3 cards - don't get me wrong I think youre theories are accurate but I don't think this applies to v5.3 in all decoder models - I believe it to be accurate for Mystars only. My guess is if it was going to happen for non-PVR decoders, it would have already happened.

A small birdie* has whispered in my ear and has told me the reason that FTA ABC transmission isn't used is to allow viewers to use 'interactive' applications when the ABC broadcasts them. It was thought that if two lots of ABCs were listed (one FTA, one sat) the viewers would become confused setting timer events and working out which ABC supported interactive apps etc. That there are two ABC main channels in the channel list anyway (NSW and a state based version) seems to have slipped past someone with this line of thought.

*birdie flies higher than a lowly installer

One is ABC National, the other is ABC Regional (your region) so there should be some changes to programming - seems to have slipped past someone with this possible line of thought when they wrote the above comments :-)

The reasons you give are that Austar don't want customers to have it and "as per usual, they won't listen to their customers" etc etc which I think are getting a bit unoriginal now and sound like a broken record like you had something against the company. At least what my hypotheses and yes I said "hypotheses" are that mine are constructive criticisms against Austar that their non-PVR decoder technology is getting too outdated.

If Austar does listen to its subscribers why haven't the numerous bugs in their STBs, that are frequently complained about, been fixed yet? Some of these issues have been going on for years. Why hasn't a useful and widely asked about feature such as changing channel based on the guide been implemented, rather a half arsed reminder system? Why only go 90% of the way to a feature that many would find extremely useful?

My guess is if it was going to happen for non-PVR decoders, it would have already happened.
Not necessarily. When Austar started issuing ver 5 cards they did not immediately enable the card-sharing counter measures.

What happens if you live in an area like the Gold Coast and can pick up both NSW and QLD TV?

eg: I get two Prime's, NBN'S and SC 10's as well as 7,9, and Ten GC.

What you get is decided for by Austar according to your postcode. Disappointingly you have no control over the fta tuners on mystar whatsoever. Like everything with this paternal company you get what you're given - period.

I'm also on the Gold Coast and they've given me SC10, Prime, Seven, NBN, Nine & Ten.

I have to use my seperate fta box for dolby audio on ABC as its blocked on the mystar fta tuner.

Edited by ozbrit

WELL I THINK THEY SEEM TO BE OK AT THE MOMENT, BUT IS THERE ANY WIZZ PERSON OUT THERE THAT CAN DOWNLOAD THE FILMS FROM THE MYSTAR BOX TO DVD, :rolleyes:

Yes please I would also like to know if backing up to DVD is possible.

Are you able to just output the box via compsosite or soemthing to a DVD recorder and playback your recording in real time and record it to you DVD Recordwr?

Or is macrovisioned or something?

What you get is decided for by Austar according to your postcode. Disappointingly you have no control over the fta tuners on mystar whatsoever. Like everything with this paternal company you get what you're given - period.

I'm also on the Gold Coast and they've given me SC10, Prime, Seven, NBN, Nine & Ten.

I have to use my seperate fta box for dolby audio on ABC as its blocked on the mystar fta tuner.

Well if they only allowed me to get NSW channels based on my area code then I'll have to tell them not to bother. I watch QLD TV a lot and all the time during non daylight savings as my NSW channels go glitchy when aircraft fly over.

[Yes please I would also like to know if backing up to DVD is possible.

Are you able to just output the box via compsosite or soemthing to a DVD recorder and playback your recording in real time and record it to you DVD Recordwr?

Or is macrovisioned or something?

No its a PVR so no backing up to DVD. I have attempted this personally and got a message on my Panasonic to the effect that the source data is protected.

Edited by ozbrit