Hdtv Prices

If you're planning to sit 2.5m (or less) away from the screen, it's better to go Full HD. You can see why by getting up close to a TV in a shop - it shows individual pixels and looks awful. Whether all new TVs will be Full HD in 2 years or not is of no concern - the signal will be compatible with HD and Full HDTVs for at least the next 10 years.

Manufacturers claim that 100Hz reduces motion blur on LCDs but most people have not found too much of a difference. More HDMI ports may not matter since you could buy a switcher or AV receiver.

Someone on this thread had bought a 46" Full HD Samsung A650 from Myer for around $2100 in the Brisbane area. Look for those posts and try to contact the person.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Catchoftheday will have the Samsung LA46A650 for around $2099 and the LA52A650 for $2799.

I think the offer will start tomorrow (Thursday).

If I had $2700 burning a hole in my pocket I'd go for the 52" A650. It's a generation older, yes, but there's definitely worse LCD's going around at the moment.

They also have the LA46A850 for $2699 and the LA52A750 for $3299.

EDIT: Found my paper. Prices corrected.

Edited by ponlesabor

Catchoftheday will have the Samsung LA46A650 for around $2080 and the LA52A650 in the $2700's.

I think the offer will start tomorrow (Thursday).

If I had $2700 burning a hole in my pocket I'd go for the 52" A650. It's a generation older, yes, but there's definitely worse LCD's going around at the moment.

They also have an 8 series 46" and a 7 series 52" but couldn't remember how much.

Where did you get the prices from??? ... that cheap.

Today's Daily Telegraph. My copy's gone missing though but those were the two prices I could recall because they didn't sound too bad.

Not that great really. You can get the 52 " Series 7 under 4 grand. So by the time you add something in the vacinity of $100 for shipping, you're really only saving $600. Plus then you have the problem of dealing with COTD if anything is wrong with the tv when you get it. Think i will just keep my eye on the B750 series.

I'm able to get the Samsung A750 50" for $2600 but is it worth it with the new plasmas being released?

Has anyone heard much on the 2009 range of samsungs? I really didn't want to spend over $2500. The new range is coming out next week and it seems they have improved on contrast ratio possibly to 40,000 native, 4 hdmi inputs etc etc.

I was told the B550 50" will be around 2200-2300 but that was the stores guess. Should i grab the a750 for the sake of it being cheap? I care much more on picture quality and blackness then features.

As i know the PQ and contrasts didnt change much in 5,6 and 7 series, only the features set them apart.

Edited by sky_

I'm able to get the Samsung A750 50" for $2600 but is it worth it with the new plasmas being released?

Has anyone heard much on the 2009 range of samsungs? I really didn't want to spend over $2500. The new range is coming out next week and it seems they have improved on contrast ratio possibly to 40,000 native, 4 hdmi inputs etc etc.

I was told the B550 50" will be around 2200-2300 but that was the stores guess. Should i grab the a750 for the sake of it being cheap? I care much more on picture quality and blackness then features.

As i know the PQ and contrasts didnt change much in 5,6 and 7 series, only the features set them apart.

Lots of discussion on the new range over here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1108053

Don't forget the warranty - down from 3 years to 1 year. Look at the prices people pay for extended warranty and you can put a value of $100-200 on the extra 2 years.

Wow Samsung 46" for $2099 + $99 delivery with full 3 year warranty

Wow ! Sold out already !

Since these TVs are on runout now, it may be possible to find retailers who will respond to haggling for COTD's prices (including their shipping cost).

Wow ! Sold out already !

Since these TVs are on runout now, it may be possible to find retailers who will respond to haggling for COTD's prices (including their shipping cost).

Just tried to haggle at JB Modbury (South Australia) based on the $2099 price, was honest and told him that it was $2199 including delivery. Sales guy was a total prick, wouldn't even entertain coming close, pulled the usual bullshit "that's below our cost price" story and would only go down to $2600.

Left a printout of the COTD prices stuck to their front door as a thank you for his attitude. :)

Edited by Ionos

I've been browsing the market for a while, tossing up between the Sammys and Pannys.

Once I saw the price of the Sammys on COTD I couldnt resist... instantly threw down my $$ for the 52" Series 6.

Cant wait for that sucker to get here!!

Just tried to haggle at JB Modbury (South Australia) based on the $2099 price, was honest and told him that it was $2199 including delivery. Sales guy was a total prick, wouldn't even entertain coming close, pulled the usual bullshit "that's below our cost price" story and would only go down to $2600.

Left a printout of the COTD prices stuck to their front door as a thank you for his attitude. :)

Gold!!

Some stores are having a deal where you will get a $250 store voucher with the purchase of series 6 and up TVs... I got mine last week from the good guys for $2499 and used the voucher for extended warranty and some other purchases. That was GoodGuys Edwardstown (Adelaide). This was the marked price and no negotiating.

JB wouldn't price match, plus they only had one left. So, what I am trying to say is don't give up after trying only at JB!

Edited by marty131

Gold!!

Some stores are having a deal where you will get a $250 store voucher with the purchase of series 6 and up TVs... I got mine last week from the good guys for $2499 and used the voucher for extended warranty and some other purchases. That was GoodGuys Edwardstown (Adelaide). This was the marked price and no negotiating.

JB wouldn't price match, plus they only had one left. So, what I am trying to say is don't give up after trying only at JB!

That deal ends today i beleive.

I took the COTD web page printout into Harvey Norman and they price matched it + gave me the $250 gift voucher as well. They didn't even take into account the extra for delivery. That was the 52" series 6. Some else had already put a hold on the series 7 one for the COTD price. Being delivered this Saturday so I don't have to wait for weeks (like COTD can take sometimes).

Edited by Laridae

Almost bought a 50" Pana plasma Full HD from Harvey Norman tonight for $2550, down from $2799. Think it was this one TH50PZ80A. Only thing holding me back is the salesman mentioned a new range was coming out soon wiht a better processor. Do you think it's better to wait for the new stock or does this sound like a good deal as is? Would rather buy sooner than later, but wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of weeks.

I took the COTD web page printout into Harvey Norman and they price matched it + gave me the $250 gift voucher as well. They didn't even take into account the extra for delivery. That was the 52" series 6. Some else had already put a hold on the series 7 one for the COTD price. Being delivered this Saturday so I don't have to wait for weeks (like COTD can take sometimes).

Which Harvey Norman was this? Melbourne or? Didn't think Harvey Norman would pricematch COTD which is online based (i think).

They must letting them go easy with the new Samsung range coming in.

Im looking for either a 32" - 42" plasma for the lounge. We are sitting about 2.5 metres away from it.

I am undecided as to spend $1000 on a 32" or $1500 on a 42.

Could you please give me some idea of any particular models are 'known good' in that price range? Not too fussed on features, sound,tuners etc as i am running a HTPC for all of that. Just a good, clean, no drama screen :).

Many thanks! Shopping for TV's isnt quite as simple as it used to be :(

Im looking for either a 32" - 42" plasma for the lounge. We are sitting about 2.5 metres away from it.

I am undecided as to spend $1000 on a 32" or $1500 on a 42.

Could you please give me some idea of any particular models are 'known good' in that price range? Not too fussed on features, sound,tuners etc as i am running a HTPC for all of that. Just a good, clean, no drama screen :).

Many thanks! Shopping for TV's isnt quite as simple as it used to be :(

There are no 32" HD plasmas on the market and the SD no-name models that are available are way below $1000. Not even worth $500 IMO.

If you're 2.5m away, you could go for a 42" HD plasma in the region of around $1100. Myer was running a sale on the Samsung A410 for $999 but that's expired now. The market is running short of stocks at the moment because the 2009 models haven't arrived yet. Prices should come down in another month or so. If you can wait, it would be beneficial to you.

You could try to look around for some runout deals on these models -

Panasonic PX8A (very hard to find)

LG PG20D

Samsung A450

Anyone tell me where you can check the statud of your order on Catch of the Day. The FAQ is useless and im sure i found it on a few of my last orders but cant for the life of me see where to see where the order is at now?