Hdtv Prices

On the plus side, plasmas can create much darker blacks, have excellent viewing angles, more accurate color and no motion blur, Soneira says

It's a shame, because even though LCD tech has shown a lot of improvement, plasma displays have inherent advantages, primarily because the tech doesn't require a backlight — unlike LCDs, which twist crystals in individual pixels to affect the light passing through, plasma pixels illuminate themselves. Before Pioneer stopped making plasma TVs, it had demonstrated models with theoretically infinite contrast and razor-thin designs, showing off the benefits of a plasma display.

hopefully plasma will live on UNTILL

there is a better panel technology

Edited by ger

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, this seems to be the best deal I have found when you factor in free delivery and a very competitive $179 to extend the warranty to 5 years. $1613 all up vs $1754 from Dick Smith - a lot to pay for 3D avatar...

$1304 delivered and installed for the TH-P50ST50A from David Jones Robina Town Centre, they price matched Video-Pro.

There already is... OLED panels are coming. :)

JSmith :ninja:

So is Christmas 2015, anyone want to bet which will get here first.

Large affordable OLED TV's with all the bugs ironed out are likely some years off yet.

So is Christmas 2015, anyone want to bet which will get here first.

Large affordable OLED TV's with all the bugs ironed out are likely some years off yet.

Owen I never said they were here soon.

By the way try 2013/14 for an affordable price, not 2015 (see here). We will see these panels here by mid next year, albeit for a premium price to begin with.

"Ger" said; "hopefully plasma will live on until

there is a better panel technology".

My reply of "there already is" is correct and current, and the part where I said "OLED panels are coming" addresses the 'until' part of Ger's post.

Even the first models from Samsung and LG will blow all current display's out of the water, including your beloved plasma tech... one of which you don't own.

:rolleyes:

JSmith

:ninja:

Edited by jsmith

Since Samsung and LG dont have a marketable product yet, let alone a large model (55" is not large these days its normal), it's way to early to say they will "blow all current displays out of the water", especially if 65" plus models are not available.

There is a lot more to a good picture then high contrast ratio numbers, it normally takes a few generations to get the bugs out of new display technology. Plasma and LCD have been around for over a decade and they are still not sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Samsung 55ES8000 in the next few weeks and started shopping around on the weekend. Went into JB (TV ticketed @ $3,996) who said that they would not match any 'online store's' (BBB, Cable Connection etc.) price; only those stores with shopfronts (good guys, bing lee etc.) would be considered.

Is this other peoples' experience as well?

And what would people suggest is the best way to negotiate given this type of approach with online obviously a fair bit cheaper (BBB around $3,400). Have people bought online/ how is extended warranty etc. negotiated this way?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Doesn't surprise me that price matching might have been more firmly enforced. IME it was always fairly unusual that the B&M store would price match with online (most ads specifically stated this as well). But if you got the right sales guy with a TV that the store might want to get rid of for some reason then you could be lucky.

BBB now has this TV for to $3535. The JB ticket price is $4000 - so about a 12% discount. I don't think that's an unreasonable or unexpected margin for a B&M store with quite a bit of overhead. I've also found B&M stores tend not to talk real dollars until you sit down and say your interested in purchasing today. If you did that then I'd anticipate you'd get another $100-$200 or so off the ticketed price (esp if you decided to spend that saving on an extended warranty).

I wouldn't bother trying to say its cheaper online in negotiating. They know its cheaper online and they can't compete on that level. They're offering you something else for the $400 or so price differential. That is a bricks and mortar store you might feel better about being able to ring if something goes wrong. Its up to you to decide if that markup is worth it to you.

In practice there's little differentiating an established online store to a B&M one these days. Used to be you were always worried that an internet company would just fold or not talk to you if you had issues. But now days dealing with somewhere online like BBB is pretty much as safe as having a store down the road. Most on and off line companies also have a few weeks or DOA policy where if an item fails they'll just swap it over no questions asked. But again only you can say how 'risky' it feels to you for the dollar difference involved.

Note: you can almost always buy an extended warranty as part of your purchase (on BBB a 4 year extended warranty for this set costs $350). One tip though is its likely Samsung will provide paperwork for their own Manufacturer Extended warranty (essentially just extends the original warranty) in the box. So give Samsung Oz a call and ask how much it would be for $3500 worth of TV.

Good luck negotiating. Remember you can always talk and decide you'll take a few days to decide at the end. There really is no such thing as a one time offer. Walk back in the next day and say you'll accept price $X and you'll get it (and if you don't then there's always another store to walk into to and besides delaying a bit will only bring the price down anyway)

FWIW - Don't buy any HDMI cables for more than about $25 (unles your 4+ metres long). Don't get a surge protector. And decide if you're going to get some amount of extended warranty before you start talking.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Thankyou for the advice Peter, makes sense. I have a JB $100 voucher as well which is why I have been looking there.

With extended warranty, maybe this is all subjective but what is appropriate? I read a lot about people's bad experiences in recent years with Samsung sets so am a bit cautious. I get an additional 1 year warranty for purchasing on my Amex, so would 1 year (manufacturer's) + 1 year be enough?

It is subjective. IMO if your set fails then extended warranties (and warranties for that matter) provide fairly good cover. If you have some sort of semi issue then it can (sometimes) get difficult. Personally I recommend ext-warranties on TV simply because they can be a pain/costly to transport if you need to get them repaired. That said ext-warranties are generally cash cows for stores - I suspect they can often make more money on a EW than on selling the TV itself. That's because it usually costs around 10% to get one but no where near 10% of sets fail.

Note AFAICT most sets will usually die in the manufacturer warranty period (and then usually within days of purchasing). So if a TVs going well after 1 year then odds are its going to stay that way for another five to ten.

So personally I'd probably go for three years of warranty all up. That costs about 5% of the purchase price and (for me) is a nice medium point of risk versus cost. That said two years warranty might be fine for you.

The AMEX insurance is neat however JBHiFi will charge you about $75 to use it to buy this TV. That's probably getting close to the cost of one years EW anyway so if you're going to get some other ext warranty (eg 3 or more years) then it might be better to just get it and not mix in the AMEX one as well.

PS Might be obvious but I wouldn't pull out the voucher until the deals done and you're paying.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Don't get a surge protector.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Peter, that's rather silly advice IMO. Surge protection is advised for all electrical equipment, especially PC's, Hi Fi and TV's. You can get quite cheap ones that have a low clamping voltage that work well... Crest comes to mind. No need to pay hundreds though...

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Samsung 55ES8000 in the next few weeks and started shopping around on the weekend. Went into JB (TV ticketed @ $3,996) who said that they would not match any 'online store's' (BBB, Cable Connection etc.) price; only those stores with shopfronts (good guys, bing lee etc.) would be considered.

Is this other peoples' experience as well?

And what would people suggest is the best way to negotiate given this type of approach with online obviously a fair bit cheaper (BBB around $3,400). Have people bought online/ how is extended warranty etc. negotiated this way?

Any advice is appreciated :)

Mate here is a link to 2nd's World where they have a brand new one for $3645, which should also be their in-store price.

If you can prove that an online price (Eljo for $3399) is for a brand new model and not a factory second they should really match it.

You can also see if someone here or elsewhere online can provide you with a copy of a receipt showing a cheaper price from one of their stores or major competitors.

If they won't come to the party keep your $100 voucher for movies etc., and go elsewhere. I find Bing Lee, The Good Guys and strangely some Myer stores are the best for haggling and price matching.

Best of luck.

Surge protection is advised for all electrical equipment, especially PC's, Hi Fi and TV's.
Its not an area I'm particularly conversant with so I'm happy to let others suggest otherwise.

Personally, I've never needed a surge board (no idea how common TVs blowing up is but I can't imagine its many). Modern switchboards can handle many types of surge I believe and I'm not sure a any (cheap) surge board is going to protect from a lightning strike. Most boards come with insurance, but I'd suspect they only kick in after you've used your house insurance first. End of the day you could pay around $100 as 'surge insurance' or save the money and in the unlikely event of it happening pay the excess on the home insurance to get the TV replaced.

If you can prove that an online price is for a brand new model and not a factory second they should really match it.
Why? Its understandable B&M stores have tried to match online prices, but its just not sustainable - two very different business models with very different operating costs.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...