Hdtv Prices

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than black level there is nothing compelling about the Pioneers. $2999 for a C509 is a joke these days considering what else you can buy for that money.

I agree. They were good in their heyday but technology has moved on. I am extremely happy with my latest generation Panasonic V20 especially with the reduced power consumption and heat output.

I agree. They were good in their heyday but technology has moved on. I am extremely happy with my latest generation Panasonic V20 especially with the reduced power consumption and heat output.

Actually the technology has not moved on just the price point for a 50”.

At the same price and size I would take the Pioneer over any Panasonic or Samsung in a hart beat, but $2999 will easily buy a 58C7000 Samsung and should buy a 58” Panasonic. Hell for $300 more you can buy a 63” Samsung, no contest there.

Edited by Owen

Just wondering how does warranty work if they don't produce TV's anymore?

My LX608 needed new boards due to salt corrosion, I live at the beach. Failed after 3 years but parts were brought in from Japan. That was the days when they gave 5 years warranty. Normally this kind of failure is not covered I was told by a TV repair tech.

My Panasonic CRT TV and Kef Subwoofer also died at about the same time just to rub it in.

And sorry to say to all these Pioneer knockers who don't own one and have never owned one you are dreaming if you think Sammys and Panasonic plasmas are better.

I do concede that a Kuro takes a good while to get set up properly with all the number of adjustable parameters.

As Linn in Glasgow says Garbage In, Garbage out and you have to pay for quality.

Any TV is out of date the minute it hits the showroom floor and the next model is supposed to be better at half the price. ^_^

Edit: Got to agree with Owen on the one point Bigger is so much better given the prices are getting lower. Got to balance size versus quality though.

Edited by mwd

Well someone thought the Pio was still a good buy. All 3 C509's appear to have been sold. I bought a C509 from the clearance store earlier this year. Couldn't be happier. While there are now larger screen TVs avaiable in the same price range I am restricted to 50 Inch max due a cabinet that is built into the walls of our lounge room.

Am a little concerned re the salt air corrosion as I live near the bay in a Southern Melb suburb...I have a can of fish oil spray in the garage.....wonder if I should......nah just kidding. ;)

J.

Edited by Juffa

I'm not a knocker of any brand - its for individuals to decide what is best for them based on their criteria.

I've always gone for the best display I could at the time. 4+ years ago it was a Fujitsu P50XHA40US. Now (for me) it's a Panasonic V20 series.

Yes the Pioneers were best in class but they dropped out of the race.

I'm not one to wait for the mythical perfect panel. I'd rather enjoy my home theatre now than agonize over the last 5% (or less) of a potential purchase.

It took 4 years before I found a new panel I deemed worthy of replacing my Fujitsu. I also had a constraint around size - it also had to be bigger than my 50" but small enough to fit in the wall alcove I had made (in hindsight it should have been bigger). The Panasonic TH-P54V20A fits the bill for me.

No panel is perfect, I am aware of the Panasonic issues but deem them acceptable to the overall package. And if the image quality hasn't surpassed the Pioneers then other aspects of the technology have - new plasmas are lighter and more energy efficient. My 54" Panasonic is 32kg (45kg for 50" Fujitsu) and power consumption is less and heat output considerably less. I have a full HD panel and the image from BD & HD-DVD look fantastic.

Once I've run it in I'll get the Panasonic ISF calibrated as I did with my Fujitsu.

All for 40% of the purchase price of my Fujitsu.

Has anyone bought or got a receipt link for a Panasonic 50" TH-P50V10A for around $1700 or $1800? Cheers.

I Got a Panasonic TH-P50V20a for $2000 (Harvey Normal O'Connor) - best I could get before the redemption on the blu ray ended..

Got the extended warranty but not certain how much value on that as was $240 (from $299) I assume I could have got better with that bit but..

Anywho am sure I saw the last year model for that price advertised in store with no bargaining (good Guys) Seems strange if you can't get last years model cheaper than this years by at least that much?

Hey guys,

Looking for a 40" LCD with 1080P for around $800-$1200. I don't care if it's outdated I'm just looking for the best value for money. Will have a HTPC hooked up to it at some point.

I'm in WA so store selection is limited...

Cheers

Edited by randomman

I'm not a knocker of any brand - its for individuals to decide what is best for them based on their criteria.

I've always gone for the best display I could at the time. 4+ years ago it was a Fujitsu P50XHA40US. Now (for me) it's a Panasonic V20 series.

Yes the Pioneers were best in class but they dropped out of the race.

I'm not one to wait for the mythical perfect panel. I'd rather enjoy my home theatre now than agonize over the last 5% (or less) of a potential purchase.

It took 4 years before I found a new panel I deemed worthy of replacing my Fujitsu. I also had a constraint around size - it also had to be bigger than my 50" but small enough to fit in the wall alcove I had made (in hindsight it should have been bigger). The Panasonic TH-P54V20A fits the bill for me.

No panel is perfect, I am aware of the Panasonic issues but deem them acceptable to the overall package. And if the image quality hasn't surpassed the Pioneers then other aspects of the technology have - new plasmas are lighter and more energy efficient. My 54" Panasonic is 32kg (45kg for 50" Fujitsu) and power consumption is less and heat output considerably less. I have a full HD panel and the image from BD & HD-DVD look fantastic.

Once I've run it in I'll get the Panasonic ISF calibrated as I did with my Fujitsu.

All for 40% of the purchase price of my Fujitsu.

Ahhh, the good old Fujitsu PDP. Tears are staring to well up in my eyes!

Completely off topic, but I can discern that you have a penchant for the finer things in life. I too had a Fujitsu, it was the P50XHA10 purchased in 2003. What a great TV, actually, not technically a TV in Fujitsu's eyes, a PDP-Plasma Display Panel. If you attached a tuner to it, then yes, you were able to display broadcasts from channels 2, 7, 9, 10 & SBS.

I would still be utilising it, but it just couldn't cut the mustard when it came to bluray. I gave it to my sister & brother in law as a free gift. Boy do they owe me!

Interestingly, I did the sums and my current Sammy 58 inch 3DTV comes in at a measly 19% of what my trusty old Fujitsu cost me. :o

Goodness gracious

Got a Panasonic TH-P50G10A for $1040.00 from JB today + 159.00 for 2 year extended warranty. That was the stickered price didn't bother haggling as a few people were there and interested in buying and didn't want to end up with a floor model.

Almost picked up the S model when dicksmith were clearing them out for $999 but after doing some running around looking for a better deal i ended up only being able to get a floor model. Wasn't going to chance it this time.

Got a Panasonic TH-P50G10A for $1040.00 from JB today + 159.00 for 2 year extended warranty. That was the stickered price didn't bother haggling as a few people were there and interested in buying and didn't want to end up with a floor model.

Almost picked up the S model when dicksmith were clearing them out for $999 but after doing some running around looking for a better deal i ended up only being able to get a floor model. Wasn't going to chance it this time.

any chance of sending me that reciept please?

mcfisherclan at gmail dot com

lol everyone wants the G10 receipt. Seriously guys, you're better off going with a 2010 model. Sure they cost a few hundred more but the screen filtering is better, black level is better, and colour accuracy is better (they now have a True Cinema mode with no oversaturated colours - finally!).

Hey TTS

Sorry to bother you with this but I was in the same boat - missed out on the DSE S10 deal but been looking around ever since. JBs's here in Adelaide had a sticker price of $1,346 on Thursday so would be great to have a copy of your receipt. so they might meet that price here (where are you located?).

My email is g_sports@bigpond.com

Cheers

lol everyone wants the G10 receipt. Seriously guys, you're better off going with a 2010 model. Sure they cost a few hundred more but the screen filtering is better, black level is better, and colour accuracy is better (they now have a True Cinema mode with no oversaturated colours - finally!).

not everyone wud be willing to shell out additional $$$ for minor gains in picture quality (if any).

not everyone wud be willing to shell out additional $$$ for minor gains in picture quality (if any).

Well if you consider large improvements in screen reflectance, contrast ratio and colour accuracy minor gains then by all means get a 2009 model.

Well if you consider large improvements in screen reflectance, contrast ratio and colour accuracy minor gains then by all means get a 2009 model.

oh well...subjective. I couldn't see much...but anyway. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Some more 50 inch Pioneer Kuro C509s in the Pioneer clearance shop. 1 @ $2799 and 5 @ $2999. The 5 @ $2999 include 3 years warranty.

J.

In todays market the prices are ridiculous and are taking the piss IMO! I notice they have changed the name from "Clearance Centre" to "Online shop". This move reflects that they are not selling bargains! Some of the components on there that are refurbished can be had for less on the street for brand new units! Wrong area I know but $849 for a $999 Blu-ray player? Wow what a bargain! ;)