Hdtv Prices

Gumtree is FULL of scams, be VERY careful. I would only do a transaction in person, no way would I pay for something I could not inspect and test prior to purchase.

If it looks too good to be true, 90 percent chance it is, for a start its not an Australian model. The photo shows more then one which is also VERY sus, it was probably takin in a US retailer.

One goal of “deals” like this could be identity theft, not the direct theft of your cash. Once they have obtained the info they want they tell you the item has been sold and move on to the next sucker.

Edited by Owen

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have personally come across two scams on Gumtree for big ticket items, a BMW motorcycle and a high end JVC projector. Both items where portrayed as being in Australia but inquires showed they where over seas with the excuse that the owner had moved taking the items with them.

Yeah for the same reasons i am also very suss ...

There is a guy on Gumtree who keeps advertising a 46" Bravia and ps3 for $500. says its in Melbourne, but if you enquire, apparently the item is in woop woop, but its ok - he can organise postage for only $50 ... HAHA

I've reported him, hopefully people are not getting scammed ...

Advice wanted :).

I am looking for a preferably HD plasma for my mum. The place it will be going will just fit a 42 inch set. She is upgrading from a no-name crt, so price is more of an issue for her than quality/full HD, but want to get the best I can of the entry level sets.

I just took her to HN but they only had 2 brands on display. She was fine with the quality of the LG42PQ60D (which only looks to be 1024x768). I had also seen the Big W catalogue that McDuck pointed out, but was looking at the 42" AWA (also 1024x768) for $999. I haven't had a chance to see one of these and wanted to know if anyone had seen them/knows anything about them. I would prefer it to be 1366x768, but not sure what the best brand/cheapest for that price would be?? I could probably get her to pay around $1500 for it, but wanted to know how much better the better known brands are than the AWA, considering it has a price of $999. Best bang for buck needed.

So feel free to throw you suggestions or advice at me. It will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a preferably HD plasma for my mum. The place it will be going will just fit a 42 inch set. So feel free to throw you suggestions or advice at me. It will be much appreciated.

Have a look at this recent thread (if you haven't already). The Aldi option looks okay there are also other options documented for the budget minded purchaser.

I am looking for a preferably HD plasma for my mum. The place it will be going will just fit a 42 inch set. She is upgrading from a no-name crt, so price is more of an issue for her than quality/full HD, but want to get the best I can of the entry level sets.

I just took her to HN but they only had 2 brands on display. She was fine with the quality of the LG42PQ60D (which only looks to be 1024x768). I had also seen the Big W catalogue that McDuck pointed out, but was looking at the 42" AWA (also 1024x768) for $999. I haven't had a chance to see one of these and wanted to know if anyone had seen them/knows anything about them. I would prefer it to be 1366x768, but not sure what the best brand/cheapest for that price would be?? I could probably get her to pay around $1500 for it, but wanted to know how much better the better known brands are than the AWA, considering it has a price of $999. Best bang for buck needed.

So feel free to throw you suggestions or advice at me. It will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Was in a similar situation helping out girlfriend. Ended up with a 42" Samsung 410 for $999. I was in Myer Sydney CBD this morning, its still advertised at that price.

Big W have a AWA 32" 1080p LCD for $798 in there latest catalogue with 3 year warranty :)

I would be leaning towards samsung,panasonic or lg way before awa as the quality just isnt there.

wouldn't go anywhere near AWA. I have already got my fingers burned with their 42" lcd. The HDMI ports wouldnt work with my 360 or PS3.

That 42" magnavox plasma that kmart had a few month ago looked pretty bloody good for $799. Also this aldi 1080p 42" 100 LCD that goes out tommorrow would be okay for $999.

A 42” Samsung Plasma from Myer sounds like a MUCH better option to me. ElCheapo LCD’s are nasty.

The Samsung A410 in question has exactly the same issues that have been putting people off the Pana PX10 series - a milky picture in average lighting conditions.

Is it better than the AWA or some cheapo LCDs ? Yes but the buyer needs to adjust the lighting conditions at home.

I would be leaning towards samsung,panasonic or lg way before awa as the quality just isnt there.

Really,i dont know much about them,i remember a year or two back a few were buying these and seemed reasonably happy,i also saw a Palsonic 32" 1080p set for $799 like the AWA its bloody cheap but if there no good its not worth it i guess.

Cheers Ryan

The Samsung A410 in question has exactly the same issues that have been putting people off the Pana PX10 series - a milky picture in average lighting conditions.

Yes it does, but its cheap so it can be excused. If the 42” Panasonics where still available for $999 I would recommend one of those in preference.

By the way ALL the Panasonics have the same issue, not just the X10A.

Is it better than the AWA or some cheapo LCDs ? Yes but the buyer needs to adjust the lighting conditions at home.

One would assume the existing TV is a CRT and if it looks ok a Plasma should be just fine. It’s safe to say that the cheap Sammy Plasma will deliver a better picture 90% of the time for the vast majority of people.

Most people are not fussy and will be happy enough with what ever they get, but you may as well get the best you can for your money.

It may already be sold, but this morning Myers Perth had a Pioneer LX508 for sale at $3196 on clearance (probably their display model).

Also had a $1048 price sticker on their display Panasonic 42PX8A (not sure if there is more stock than the display unit).

A Samsung 58P91 was $2595 and had a sold sign on it.

Myers Perth seem to be discounting prices on clearance models by 20% at the moment, but I'm not sure how much is actually being cleared.

In comparison, a Panasonic 42X10A had a price of $1499.

Bit of an impulse buy for me today but saw that the Bravia KDL-40E4500 had dropped a bit after going around seeing what the best I could get for it I managed to get it for $1716 + 5 year warranty for 1935 total. Was really after a white tele so I'm very happy. Hope it doesn't go any cheaper soon but I think I did well.

Edited by Tap Twist Snap

It may already be sold, but this morning Myers Perth had a Pioneer LX508 for sale at $3196 on clearance (probably their display model).

Also had a $1048 price sticker on their display Panasonic 42PX8A (not sure if there is more stock than the display unit).

A Samsung 58P91 was $2595 and had a sold sign on it.

Myers Perth seem to be discounting prices on clearance models by 20% at the moment, but I'm not sure how much is actually being cleared.

In comparison, a Panasonic 42X10A had a price of $1499.

Just got the 42PX8A from Myer - it was new not display for $1038.

Bit of an impulse buy for me today but saw that the Bravia KDL-40E4500 had dropped a bit after going around seeing what the best I could get for it I managed to get it for $1716 + 5 year warranty for 1935 total. Was really after a white tele so I'm very happy. Hope it doesn't go any cheaper soon but I think I did well.

I don't think it's going to be much cheaper than that.

The 40" E4500 was ticketed at $1988 in Sony Centre Sydney today (no extended warranty).

50" Panasonic PZ800A.. This model life is ending now so what prices have been paying? I need another TV and im keen to get one of these.. I think there the 2nd best 50" plasma next to the 50" Kuro 508(Flame suit on)

Here's some of the best prices I have seen claimed to have paid for online from various websites/online forum for some Panasonic 50" Plasmas during the past few months:

1) VIERA TH-50PZ80A 50" (127cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV RRP: $3,099 - Best: $2100 (mid April 2009)

2) VIERA TH-50PZ800A 50" (127cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV RRP: $3,649 - Best: $2350 (Feb 2009)

3) VIERA TH-50PZ850A 50" (127cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV RRP: $3,899 - Best: $2400 (5th May 09), $2695 (mid April 2009)

4) VIErA TH-P50S10A 50" (127cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV NOT RELEASED, pricing to be confirmed (Presumably have RRP of around $3500) - In stores from July 2009

5) VIErA TH-P50G10A 50" (127cm) Full-HD Digital Plasma TV RRP: $3,799 - In stores from June 2009

Oh, and keep an eye on this webpage for a range of HDTV prices seen: http://hdtvprices.pbworks.com/

It appears that there is a significant shortage in supply of most Full HD Flat Panel displays in Australia, since late 2008, and forecast to continue into Winter 2009. Interesting climate for HD TVs in OZ atm!

Edited by ssar

Hi there,

i was at HN auburn today saw a pana 58PZ850A as listed price of $6711 and a sammy PS58A650 for $5191, which was on sale. Pana would be my first choice so around what price should i start negotiating ? Also, how much lower for the sammy should i go if i do not decide for the panasonic?

Thank You

Hi there,

i was at HN auburn today saw a pana 58PZ850A as listed price of $6711 and a sammy PS58A650 for $5191, which was on sale. Pana would be my first choice so around what price should i start negotiating ? Also, how much lower for the sammy should i go if i do not decide for the panasonic?

Thank You

Im also in the market for a 58".

$5700 for the panasonic and $4300 for the samsung seem to be the going rates at the moment

The Sammy A650 is a run out model and has been replaced by the new and significantly better B650 line.

I would take the Sammy B650 over the Panasonic PZ850 without even looking at it.

For viewing in a non dark environment I would take the A or B series Sammy’s over the new S10 and G10 Panasonics as well since all the Panasonics have problems with ambient light.

If Panasonic recon they can charge $3500 plus for a 50” they are dreaming, the Samsungs are $1000 cheaper and better in most respects.

$5700 should get you a 63" Samsung

Edited by Owen