Hdtv Prices

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$2680 for the Samsung PS50A650 with 2 years extra warranty + delivery

JBHifi Pacific Fair - last one though

Went to Domayne, Harvey Norman, Retravision, Clive Peters, JBH Bundall, Clive Anthonys, Myers.. By that stage I'd had enough - unfortunately prices aren't that competitive on the Goldcoast :(

In Melbourne these should be had for around $2400 excluding delivery etc from retail stores. I did see them on special for $2500 a couple of times and TAV has got them for $2400 inc delivery nationwide, but I could not justify the extra $550 for the 6 series when I got my 5 series last week.

My personal opinion is that paying extra for warranty is not worth it any more. You get two years warranty as standard with Samsung and if you use CC, some give an extra year on top.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap-ish, decent quality 50" plasma? Full HD is not a requirement, I would look to be pay $1400-$1700 if possible.

I posted this in the Panasonic thread but was wondering if anyone had recommendations other than for Panasonic. The local HN is trying to sell the 50PX80A for $2k! I've got a 42PX8A and am happy with it, just want a bigger TV.

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new LCD or Plasma from either JB hifi or Harvey Norman on interest free terms. I'm thinking around 40" screen and my budget is between $1,500 and $2000. Given my budget what would you recommend? My main use for it would be to watch Foxtel and movies. I've had a bit of a look around and it seems like the Plasma's are slightly cheaper, but LCD's offer better picture quality, does that sound about right? I would even be prepared to spend a little more on Full HD if it was well worth it. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new LCD or Plasma from either JB hifi or Harvey Norman on interest free terms. I'm thinking around 40" screen and my budget is between $1,500 and $2000. Given my budget what would you recommend? My main use for it would be to watch Foxtel and movies. I've had a bit of a look around and it seems like the Plasma's are slightly cheaper, but LCD's offer better picture quality, does that sound about right? I would even be prepared to spend a little more on Full HD if it was well worth it. Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

If your thinking lcd it's Sony, Samsung or Sharp. At 40” there’s is not much between lcd and plasma but be sure you only want a small screen. It takes surprising little time before you get used to a larger one. Less than a week.

Stating lcd is better than plasma is not correct. Each has their own benefits, just goggle it. My opinion is if you want the best colour reproduction, blacks and watch sport don't buy lcd. If you need a really bright picture (a sunny room) buy lcd as you won’t be bothered by reflections.

Adam,

If you watch Foxtel. I assume you watch heaps of sport and movies. If so 42" 1080p plasma will be the way to go, Better colour, contrast and motion (in your price range) And in my opinion plasmas make SD foxtel look watchable, the poor contrast on LCDs make the poor Foxtel signal look absolutely filthy. But if you are going to have heaps of reflections due to a high amount of light in room maybe LCD. Also if you are planning to hook a PC up maybe LCD.

Maybe the Panasonic 42" + Bluray promo would be good for you for around $1800. the 42pz80?

Edited by BloodyKev

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap-ish, decent quality 50" plasma? Full HD is not a requirement, I would look to be pay $1400-$1700 if possible.

How about the Samsung 50" A450 (not the A410) which was ticketed at $1685 in HN Chatswood Chase yesterday ? It may be reduced to around $1500 after haggling.

Hey guys,

I've decided to buy a 40" something for my self. The samsung LN40A650 has caught my eye, and specifically, Im inquiring on the price that people have bought that TV for lately. But also, i guess im asking the vast number of people out there if there are any other TV's of a similar size for 1.5 - 2K that i should be considering. Any suggested TV does have to be 1080p, 37-42" and the cheaper the better.

thanks for any info or tv suggestions.

Edited by Klawrence

I am looking at the Panasonic 37LXD80A for a mate of mine, I have searched the forum for prices and found a post from November 2008 talking about getting it for $930 with 2 years extra warranty. I can't find anything under $1,300 now...has anyone bought one recently and what kind of deal did you get?

Adam,

If you watch Foxtel. I assume you watch heaps of sport and movies. If so 42" 1080p plasma will be the way to go, Better colour, contrast and motion (in your price range) And in my opinion plasmas make SD foxtel look watchable, the poor contrast on LCDs make the poor Foxtel signal look absolutely filthy. But if you are going to have heaps of reflections due to a high amount of light in room maybe LCD. Also if you are planning to hook a PC up maybe LCD.

Maybe the Panasonic 42" + Bluray promo would be good for you for around $1800. the 42pz80?

Thanks Kev,

Your right in that I watch sport and movies. It sounds like I might go the Plasma, I just assumed LCD's were better because they were more expensive. I'm aware of the poor quality Foxtel picture on LCD's, do you know if it can be improved by using better quality cabling? Light reflection doesn't bother me however hooking up to my laptop would be an advantage.

Cheers

Hi guys

I picked up a Pana 46pz8oo for $2299 the other day.

Spent ages looking for a 42pz80 or 50pz80 but as you know all gone and no gaurantee of getting one on backorder.

Wasn't worried about getting a bluray player so this worked out good.

PQ is fantastic and quite a step up from a 26" LCD.

Just need to fine tune the color settings.

Cheers

Ad in today's Daily Telegraph for Samsung 42" Plasma for $999 from Myer.

Don't know if it's the A410 or A450.

I know sub-$1000 Plasmas from a reputable brand are nothing new but they seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground so if you're after one try Myer.

Ad in today's Daily Telegraph for Samsung 42" Plasma for $999 from Myer.

Don't know if it's the A410 or A450.

I know sub-$1000 Plasmas from a reputable brand are nothing new but they seem to be getting a bit thin on the ground so if you're after one try Myer.

Even if it is the A410, it's a good deal. If it's the A450, then it's even better. Finally, a fair deal to take people's stimulus money.

Much better than Harvey Norman's useless "Stimulus Sale" yesterday and obviously better than Kogan's Kevin 37 !

How about the Samsung 50" A450 (not the A410) which was ticketed at $1685 in HN Chatswood Chase yesterday ? It may be reduced to around $1500 after haggling.

Good Guys had the 550 1080p for $1999.....may as well go a little extra!

Good Guys had the 550 1080p for $1999.....may as well go a little extra!

I can do much, much better than that!!!

https://www.mysmartshopper.com.au/products/...S50A550S1F.html

Kulfers - I almost wanna get it and show Trebbers that you don't have to have a 9 series to get a great picture without paying the premium!!!! (Didn't he say something similar about Kogan.....?). Hang on Trebbers - they're both Samsung!!! What can you say about that???

I can do much, much better than that!!!

https://www.mysmartshopper.com.au/products/...S50A550S1F.html

Kulfers - I almost wanna get it and show Trebbers that you don't have to have a 9 series to get a great picture without paying the premium!!!! (Didn't he say something similar about Kogan.....?). Hang on Trebbers - they're both Samsung!!! What can you say about that???

Members OnlyMySmartShopper can only be accessed by employee/member groups and associations.

For more information on how to join and take advantage of the great savings, please click here

$1497 for 42 inch pretty basic sanyo :rolleyes:

6.5 ms, contrast not great :rolleyes:

says 1080p :rolleyes:

Couldn't be bothered. We've got Toshiba and LG (plus the occasional Sharp) 42" 1080p LCD TVs going around in JB/Myer/HN/GG for around $1600 pre-negotiation.

I just got Samsung Series 5 50inch (PS50A550) for $1850 in JB-Hifi Carindale

That makes 3 at $1850 that we are aware of. Very good value for a 50" 1080P panel.

With the dollar rising a little, it may get cheaper as new shipments come in. If it gets up to $.75 these could get down to $1700.

That makes 3 at $1850 that we are aware of. Very good value for a 50" 1080P panel.

With the dollar rising a little, it may get cheaper as new shipments come in. If it gets up to $.75 these could get down to $1700.

Doubt it, these models are run outs.....like most Samsung models..... as new models arrive in late May.

If you like it, I would buy it now.

My source says that unless they have it in the shop, the only models Samsung itself has in stock are:

PlasmaPS42A410 - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS50A410 - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS42A450P - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS50A450P - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS50A550S - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS50A650T - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS58A650T - FINISHING – SOME STOCK STILL AVAILABLE       

PlasmaPS50A750T - NO MORE STOCK AVAIL    

PlasmaPS63A750T - FINISHING – SOME STOCK STILL AVAILABLE   

Have my eye on one of these!

Edited by KEF Ci2000