New Tv Guides For Hd Channels

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the TV Guides you get in the weekend papers will be including the new HD channels as well as ABC2??

The Canberra Times does a p*ss-poor job when it comes to anything other than the "five majors". Take today's CT for example: Under the tiny column headed "PAY & Digital", the only FTA channel that gets a mention is ABC2, and here's what it says:

8.00 Catalyst. 8.30 Baby Be Mine. 9.30 Four Corners. 10.15 Media Watch.

The rest of the column has twelve of the channels that Foxtel and/or TransACT carry, with similar treatment to ABC2.

Anyone know if the TV Guides you get in the weekend papers will be including the new HD channels as well as ABC2??

They bloody well should!

Put in ABC, ABC2, ABC3Kids (Next Year), Seven, Seven HD, Nine, Nine HD, Ten, Ten HD, SBS, SBS World News.

It might take up two pages :P

It would make more people get interested in digital too. They'd look at it and go, 'Oh, what are these new channels?!, we'll have to buy one of those set top box thingys quick smart!'

:)

It would make more people get interested in digital too. They'd look at it and go, 'Oh, what are these new channels?!, we'll have to buy one of those set top box thingys quick smart!'

:)

If they shut down the old analogue system next year like they originally planned then it would encourage even more people to get a STB. Why entice with extra channels when you can force with lack of service. I guess we only have to wait an extra 2 years for this to happen now.

Overseas there are plenty of countries with more than 5 free to air channels which can manage to print a TV Guide. It couldn't be that hard. Pay TV providers can print guides for large numbers of channels as well.

you dont need a tv guide - you need a comprehensive EPG.

If they shut down the old analogue system next year like they originally planned then it would encourage even more people to get a STB. Why entice with extra channels when you can force with lack of service. I guess we only have to wait an extra 2 years for this to happen now.

Overseas there are plenty of countries with more than 5 free to air channels which can manage to print a TV Guide. It couldn't be that hard. Pay TV providers can print guides for large numbers of channels as well.

you dont need a tv guide - you need a comprehensive EPG.

Yes, and no. There are people that like to read in their hands what's on now and what's on later this week. An EPG is handy for what's on right now. Browsing what's on in the future can be cumbersome, depending on the EPG.

But, for many people it's a mindshift they don't want to make. We have Foxtel, and when we moved to digital, we got the new whiz-bang On-Screen guide. But my wife still likes the magazine so she can see what's coming up this week or two weeks from now. For a lot of people, EPGs will not replace a TV guide.

That said, it ain't hard to write a guide with more than 5 channels. Papers in the US have been doing it for years.

Just ditch the page of Fo$tel and give us the info on FTA that we actually want!!

Exactly - I can't see why newspapers bother listing partial Foxtel guide info when everyone who subscribes to that particular money pit already gets a full EPG and optionally a full printed guide.

Foxtel listings have no place in newspapers.

I'd assume Foxtel pay for the listings a bit - its obviously good advertising for people to see what "they're missing out on" while reading the FTA guide.

It's not working with me, then - I see those Foxtel listings in Mx and constantly think "sheesh, back when I used to have it they actually had decent programming rather than this trash" :lol:

I do often wonder whether they pay the (Melbourne) Green Guide to run so many features and reviews of Foxtel programs that a tiny percentage of their readership can even see.

Was at the doctors yesterday and picked up a copy of TV Week (the last time I actually bought a TV week was in about 1980). I notice it's published by channel 9 and for FTA only lists 2 7 9 10 and SBS. No mention of ABC2 or Bris31 (in our location). At $3,75 a week it would cost me half what I pay to Quickflix for around 20 DVDs a month. What a waste of trees.

I take it that TV week is only bought by little old ladies with a Rank Arena or employment-challenged younger people with a TEAC who use the magazine for a beer coaster / tablecloth for their endless snacks of nachos. </judgmental>

:P

Australia wide Pay TV penetration is about 26%. I'm sure Foxtel has the lion's share of that but they're probably closer to 20 than 30.

well austar/optus customers have the foxtel channels as well - I think there's just as much to be said for pay-tv listings to be in printed tv guides as digital multichannels and HD channels.