Sign in to follow this  
WINEDS

Hdmi Hd Audio With Htpcs

hello all, i'm totally new to this forum and home theatre setup. sorry for using this thread as i can't start a new one astm. recently purchased a full HD plasma and amplifier (SONY DG720) then want to connect with PC. managed to use cable DVI to HDMI getting the picture but wondering how i can get the best audio fm PC. the PC already has a 5.1ch sound card which i can only get one channel if using analog to amplifier. heard i can use S/PDIF connect to coaxial on amplifier but can't get to work with HDMI altogether and not sure why? also heard i can use optical into the amplifier but then what should i have to purchase for the PC?

Without knowing the specs of your PC, it's difficult to say.

Both my previous 7600 and 9600 video cards were designed to make use of a Motherboard's internal S/PDIF connector so that digital audio and video could go through the single HDMI port on the video card. What video card are you using and does it support this use of the internal S/PDIF connector?

Edited by JasonInMelbourne

hello all, i'm totally new to this forum and home theatre setup. sorry for using this thread as i can't start a new one astm. recently purchased a full HD plasma and amplifier (SONY DG720) then want to connect with PC. managed to use cable DVI to HDMI getting the picture but wondering how i can get the best audio fm PC. the PC already has a 5.1ch sound card which i can only get one channel if using analog to amplifier. heard i can use S/PDIF connect to coaxial on amplifier but can't get to work with HDMI altogether and not sure why? also heard i can use optical into the amplifier but then what should i have to purchase for the PC?

AusOdy,

I assumed your HPTC is connected to your TV via DVI-HDMI connection (for video) and HTPC to AMP via SPDIF coax cable (for audio).

Two things that you can check:

(1) Check audio default device (right click the volume icon in your PC and make sure that the default device is Digital; this normally defaults to analogue (speakers).

(2) Not familiar with your AMP but just make sure that you select the right input (assigned by the audio input in the back of your amp where you plug in the other end of the SPDIF coax) and is also set to Digital.

tks guys. trail/error for almost 1 month, i still couldn't get the HDMI work with S/PDIF altogether via amp. either i have video or audio but not at the same time. what i realize is the HDMI input for my amp recognize video+audio together (purely HDMI) and only have analogue audio selection but not digital. easy way to get around is get the DVI-HDMI plug into the TV direct and using coaxial to amp for digital audio, but another problem is i'm having Panasonic 46PZ800A which will lose the DVB reception when DVI-HDMI plugged at the back (HDMI 1 and 2).

my 3 yrs old PC (can't really call it HTPC) has GeForce FX5500 video card, ASUS motherboard (not sure model), P4 3G Hz and 512MB ram. S/PDIF is already available at the back but don't think the 5500 can support use of the internal S/PDIF connector. majority use of the PC is watching DVD (not Blu-ray at this stage) movies and net surfing. i'm thinking i have cost saving options as below:

1/ connect DVI-HDMI at the front (HDMI 3), only down side is not looking good and trapping dust

2/ buy a DVI-VGA cable then plug to the back VGA slot on the Panny but not sure how the picture quality compared to DVI-HDMI

3/ buy another video card which can support use of internal S/PDIF connector but not sure how much set me back

what will you do if in my situation? does my PC worth to upgrade make it HTPC?

tks in advance

can you run all things to the amp and then a single hdmi to your tele?

(amp does vid+audio then sends the vid portion on to the display)

sorry if I've missed other posts with more details on what you've tried... If you need to connect

other items direct to the tele - you can do what I've done and tell the amp you have a spdif connected cd/dat/whatever (audio, no vid) and use that for all the directly connected items (switching the coax type spdif connection is simple to organise - I just made a 5 in - 1 out junction box. only hassle is you have to make sure only one device is on at a time) even easier if you have multiple spdif connections on the amp - just assign each to a non video source and remember "dat is dvd, laserdisk is pc, cd is ps3, etc)

jen

what will you do if in my situation? does my PC worth to upgrade make it HTPC?

tks in advance

It really depends if you want to run blu-ray in the future or not. If so, then you'll definitely need to get at least a dual or quad core CPU to handle the high demands of 1080p processing and high-bitrate audio. Not to mention at least a 7600 series video card. If you also want Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA via HDMI bitstream out, you'll need a a sound card that supports HDMI bitsream-out of these audio formats, like the Xonar HDAV1.3.

2Gb RAM is bare minimum, too.

As far as I'm aware, your current video card does NOT support S/PDIF connection, so there is no way you'll get audio and video through a single HDMI cable.

So, the simplest and cheapest option to achieve audio and video thorugh a single HDMI cable is to get a video card that supports s/pdif connection for around $100.

Finally got full version ArcSoft Total Media Theatre for the Xonar HDAV1.3 and it's working superbly! Fantastic video processing with TrueHD and DTS-HD MA bitstreaming is now making my AVR sing and my images look so good I prefer to stay home to watch movies.

Finally got full version ArcSoft Total Media Theatre for the Xonar HDAV1.3 and it's working superbly! Fantastic video processing with TrueHD and DTS-HD MA bitstreaming is now making my AVR sing and my images look so good I prefer to stay home to watch movies.

Good news. How about 24p and HDDVD playback? Are they sorted.

What version of TMT is it . I am planning to buy the card. Last i heard its something .126

Alvinder

Good news. How about 24p and HDDVD playback? Are they sorted.

As far as I'm aware, cards manufactured last year must be sent back to Asus for the firmware update for 24Hz passthrough. All cards made this year will supposedly have a firmware update available for it soon.

Playback of TrueHD and DTS-HD MA from HD DVD is still, unfortunately, still downsampled to PCM. But I'm not really fussed with that since I have the HD-XE1.