Sign in to follow this  
Chanil

New Samsung 120hz Lcd Screen...

Can someone else please post some confirmation into this thread, to confirm my side of the story!

Regards

This is from a review on the Cnet site relating to the M81 and Movie Plus.

"However, as we found with the plasma, the proprietary Movie Plus Imaging Engine is pretty bad at resolving most content (as it seems to have been designed for NTSC and makes anything else a jerky mess) and is best turned off."

Now this is from an independent review so if Samsung are also suggesting that this function should be switched off then I would agree that this is a design fault and therefore a refund is not out of the question...

NTSC requires 3:2 pulldown to get 24FPS into 60Hz, so yes, if this is done differently it can be made to look smoother by, rather than repeating frames, attempt to interpolate frames.

But the same can be done for PAL, it is just less beneficial to do it for PAL. MoviePlus works for PAL, just once you get used to looking for all the typical things that throw it (complicated background movement with still forground images etc) you normally disable it to watch movies in 25frames/second, nearly as they were intended when cut to film (24fps..). I bet the NTSC guys have artifacts using movie plus also. A computer chip cannot possibly see "a person" or "a car" or "the trees in the background" or "the camera panning and zooming across the skyscrapers while the person is panning across" and possibly be able to "guess" what is happening between frames. This is what motion plus and movie plus is doing (or should I say, attempting to do) and there is no way in hell that is ever going to look perfect, no matter PAL or NTSC.

Regards

NTSC requires 3:2 pulldown to get 24FPS into 60Hz, so yes, if this is done differently it can be made to look smoother by, rather than repeating frames, attempt to interpolate frames.

But the same can be done for PAL, it is just less beneficial to do it for PAL. MoviePlus works for PAL, just once you get used to looking for all the typical things that throw it (complicated background movement with still forground images etc) you normally disable it to watch movies in 25frames/second, nearly as they were intended when cut to film (24fps..). I bet the NTSC guys have artifacts using movie plus also. A computer chip cannot possibly see "a person" or "a car" or "the trees in the background" or "the camera panning and zooming across the skyscrapers while the person is panning across" and possibly be able to "guess" what is happening between frames. This is what motion plus and movie plus is doing (or should I say, attempting to do) and there is no way in hell that is ever going to look perfect, no matter PAL or NTSC.

Regards

Hey tonymy01

i fully agree with what your saying, in regards to what movie plus is suppose to do... i guess that in regards to what ive been advised by Samsung and what you've been advised your self is pretty much a same-same but different or a he say she say issue.

the bottom line is that all the so called new features in this LCD TV are all crap. there all marketing crap. after reading dozens of forums and reviews on this TV most people have said that the features such as Movie Plus, 100Hz Motion Plus, Digital NR, and even DNIe functions are better turned off. now what's the point of making these new features on the TV when its better not used. I almost feel like sticking back to my old 68cm TV and wait a couple more years for better technology to come out.

now i know this forum is about the the Samsung F8, but can anyone tell me if the Sony 46"XBR has the same issues with there Motionflow 100Hz or if it even has any other problems with the TV? or can anyone else advice of other brands of LCD TV that may be a better TV that this Samsung Marketing Gimicks,

Or is Plasma TV's a better option for >46". Id be using it for of course Movies, watching TV 'FTA and Foxtel' and also playing with my PS3. I originally chose LCD Tv's because of the possible burn-in on Plasmas and ive read somewhere that their cheaper to run. tonymy01 you sound like a bit of a guru on the technology any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. :D;)

Cheers

analLIATOR