Mirage S10 Subwoofer - Any Feedback?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new sub and within my price range is the jamo sub550 and the mirage S10 .. on paper the mirage is much, much better.... it goes as low 21hz, 800 peak power amp.... the jamo is much better looking.....

I thought about the velodyne PSL1200 R ... but at 3 times the price... I thought ... not ....

so, if any of you own or played with them, I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations for subs up to $1,500 ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new sub and within my price range is the jamo sub550 and the mirage S10 .. on paper the mirage is much, much better.... it goes as low 21hz, 800 peak power amp.... the jamo is much better looking.....

I thought about the velodyne PSL1200 R ... but at 3 times the price... I thought ... not ....

so, if any of you own or played with them, I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations for subs up to $1,500 ....

Cheers,

Marcelo

Hi Marcelo,

I have a Mirage S10. Opinions abound, but my auditioning found that at that price, few others can touch it. If you have a big room, probably not for you, but small to medium and it is sweet.

I compared against Velodyne CHT12, Yamaha (can't remeber model no) and Wharfedale.

A nice mix between music and HT (I tend not to use it for music anymore once I got a power amp). Tight and articulate and can be pushed hard. My regret is that it doesn't have any preset options or EQ stuff (most AVRs will do some form of preset anyway), but you would have to spend a significantly larger amount of money to get these features. Movie explosions slap you in the face when they have to and don't just rumble.

I can highly recommend........but I do have one. :blush:

Not an overly popular brand on this forum but have a listen for yourself.

Put it this way- I had my heart set on the Velodyne and this changed my mind.

Only your ears can decide.

Love to know what you end up going with.

Hi Marcelo,

I have a Mirage S10. Opinions abound, but my auditioning found that at that price, few others can touch it. If you have a big room, probably not for you, but small to medium and it is sweet.

I compared against Velodyne CHT12, Yamaha (can't remeber model no) and Wharfedale.

A nice mix between music and HT (I tend not to use it for music anymore once I got a power amp). Tight and articulate and can be pushed hard. My regret is that it doesn't have any preset options or EQ stuff (most AVRs will do some form of preset anyway), but you would have to spend a significantly larger amount of money to get these features. Movie explosions slap you in the face when they have to and don't just rumble.

I can highly recommend........but I do have one. :blush:

Not an overly popular brand on this forum but have a listen for yourself.

Put it this way- I had my heart set on the Velodyne and this changed my mind.

Only your ears can decide.

Love to know what you end up going with.

thanks for the quick feedback....

I'm leaning to the S10 myself.....

the price difference... the mirage is looking great....

I had an old i150.. great for its size and small/medium room .... due to its placement ... a little boomy .. but again, pretty good....

I don't want to spend $2.5k on a sub... as much as I love HT... there's other stuff out there competing for my money also ....

I can get the S10 for a bargain price of $650 .... and the velodyne would cost me $2,200 ..... so the S10 is looking like the one right now..... my room is small/medium size..

I'm also getting a new Onkyo 905 amp, it has the audissey XT, so it should do 'some' calibration on the sub also ....

I think I've made my decision .... will audition just so I 'don't worry about it' ....

I really appreciate your feedback ...

Cheers,

Marcelo

ok ... tested a few subs ....

Jame Sub300 - nice looking, classy, but too boomy, and not powerful enough .....

Velodyne SPLR 1000 - great looking, small, tight .... impressive, but not at that price point... I would have prefered the 1200R . but again, too expensive for me...

Mirage S10 - good looking, not too big, well made, classy, good sound and very good price point.... its a winner there.....

but ......

I saw the Quad Subwoofer ...... I have Quad front speakers soo ......

Quad Sub - great looking (plus matches my system), remote control with 4 presets, very powerful and tight, controlled, medium sized cabinet... the price was pretty much the mid point between the mirage S10 and the Velodyne 1000 .... so.... it did it for me .....

so, I went for the Quad Sub... ended up picking up also the new Quad 9L (for rear speakers) and the Onkyo 905 amp .... not a bad afternoon really .... about 3-4 weeks to deliver the lot ... the Onkyo amp is causing the delay... since I don't have a place to put them on ... all good..

Congrats Marcelo!

Sounds like a fantastic purchase for you- what a day eh!

Hopefully will be able to have a listen to the Quad sub in my travels- I like the idea of the remote and presets etc

Now the wait..................I hate that part!

Cheers

Congrats Marcelo!

Sounds like a fantastic purchase for you- what a day eh!

Hopefully will be able to have a listen to the Quad sub in my travels- I like the idea of the remote and presets etc

Now the wait..................I hate that part!

Cheers

hey Broke,

I almost don't mind the wait too much, since I'm currently in a serviced apartment with no room for any gear.... and my stuff is still in transit from Australia to Singapore.....

but, when it has all arrived and we have moved into our new place.... then I will be very impatient, for sure!

which brings me to the next point.... its much, much cheaper here in Singapore..... I sold my gear in Aus, and with very little extra bought the gear I mentioned above.... I reckon I saved well over $3k on my gear by buying it here, rather then Sydney .....

Cheers,

Marcelo