Sign in to follow this  
coxaca

What Are Your Collective Thoughts On Samsung?

Hey all,

checked out some Samsung gear today. By way of explanation, I'm an Aussie expat in Shanghai. Preliminary research shows me that LCD and plasma TVs are MUCH cheaper here than in Aus, but AV equipment is on the whole more expensive.

So I figure it might be time to break the usual rule - (spend equal amounts on TV and AV) - and just grudgingly accept that decent sound will be way out of reach, but i can get myself some rockin' picture quality in the interim. So I'm leaning towards getting one of those dreaded HTIB systems rather than trying to assemble componentry at ridiculous expense.

I like the idea of sticking with a single brand - one less remote, better style coordination, better discount etc. Basically in this country you can easily get Sony, Sharp (Aquos), Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips and - Samsung. Having looked at all the various options and prices, and considering issues like where they source their display panels etc, I'm favouring the Samsung LCDs. Now, Samsung are not especially noted for their sound systems - probably Sony, Philips and Pioneer spring more quickly to mind - but hey, with HTIB, is it really going to vary that much?

OK, cutting to the chase, I'm favouring a Samsung 40" N8 coupled with a Samsung HT-TP75 home theatre system. This combo gives me 1080p, HDMI connectivity, upscaling (with a Faroudja chip), matching design, 800W RMS power all up, for around A$3000. No real HD viewing yet (until I buy a Blu-Ray or China gets its broadcasting act together), but I can enjoy my DVDs upscaled and be ready for HD broadcasting when it arrives here (which will probably be via cable).

I'm reasonably confident about the TV, but the sound worries me - especially when I play CDs. Do you think it's going to suck real bad, or might I be pleasantly surprised? Would be most grateful to receive your comments and ideas.

Cheers

Tony

Hi,

I've had a Samsung Plasma for a little over a year (PS42D7HD)

It hasn't missed a beat in that time and the picture quality is still excellent,

I looked at all the plasma and lcd TV's available when i bought it and to me

At least it had the best picture quality.

I've heard all sorts of things about different brands and really there are only

two i wouldn't consider;LG and Hitachi, thats just from my experience.

overall i have had a positive experience with Samsung,

Build quality is very good, I would rather Korean made than Chinese like Panasonic,

And the two year warranty is nice, basically they are just as good if not better

than most competitors.

Guest EZYHD

I had big problems with a Sammy 42" I bought, kept tuning itself on/off, repairer had it for 5 weeks, was lucky got money back from store and bought a Panny, sold that with house now have a Pioneer and love it..

Pioneer would be the way to go if you have the $. However don't discount LG, I have an LG LCD and it's as reliable and beautiful as it was 2 years ago when I bought it. Friend of the family has a new LG LCD and it's excellent. Samsung, unless I am mistaken, are one of the biggest panel producers and their product goes into many other brands, so they know what they are doing with a good panel.

Guest Zymurgy
If you buy the plasma screen don't buy the 'Q' series. It is a piece of junk.

Reasons for this statement? Quite a lot of people at this thread are happy with theirs.

Gordon.

A friend of mine has a similar Samsung home theatre setups. It's fine for movies and tv, but yes it does suck when it comes to stereo performance. No worse than any other of those style systems though.

Overall though as a package for that price I think you're doing pretty well. If it ends up really ends up bugging you when you play cds, just upgrade the front speakers. 130WRMS is plenty to drive just about any front speakers you end up getting.

If you buy the plasma screen don't buy the 'Q' series. It is a piece of junk.

I'm happy with mine :rolleyes:

Cheers,

morkli.

I own 2 Samsung TVs (an LCD Rear Pro and a Plasma), owned 1 Samsung DVD player, currently own another Samsung DVD player and a Samsung HD digital TV box. I've been very happy with the quality and reliability of these Samsung products. I also own JVC, Panasonic, Sony and Rotel gear.

For a Samsung HTIB, I've been told the HT-TXQ120T is the one to get if you can stretch your budget to that.

Cheers,

morkli.

A friend of mine has a similar Samsung home theatre setups. It's fine for movies and tv, but yes it does suck when it comes to stereo performance. No worse than any other of those style systems though.

Overall though as a package for that price I think you're doing pretty well. If it ends up really ends up bugging you when you play cds, just upgrade the front speakers. 130WRMS is plenty to drive just about any front speakers you end up getting.

You need to be very careful of the power outputs claimed by HTIBs. Often they are overstated. 130WRMS is generally more in the domain of higher end separate AV receivers.

Having said that, I've got a 40WRMS Rotel integrated stereo amp and it drives my big floor standing speakers more than loud enough.

Cheers,

morkli.

Reasons for this statement? Quite a lot of people at this thread are happy with theirs.

Gordon.

I bought it but returned it the next day becuase I could see the horizontal lines, I found this problem to be very distracting. Infact I found it to be horrible. I can not understand why Samsung can not fix the problem on their premium model. Their 'C' range does not have this problem. The picture was very good when in total dark, however their dark levels are not as good as Pioneer.

Edited by Iceman

I bought my parent a 40" LCD. It was the S series. Looks fine, doesn't have any noticeable flaws and I myself like the finish. However, I have a pioneer plasma myself and I notice the difference but my parents don't. So if you like the look of the Samsung, get it.

Often they are overstated. 130WRMS is generally more in the domain of higher end separate AV receivers.

And even they (AVRs) are pushing the truth a little too!

It does seem a little high to be true to me, but I was under the impression that RMS ratings were somewhat reliable. Looking at the specs it's 130wrms w/ 10%THD, so not particularly clean.

Still, even if it can put out 80wrms for the front channels that should be enough for a front speaker upgrade to be worthwhile, no?

I buy everything in Samsung in AV as first choice.

It started 5 years ago, when I bought my first big tv which is a plasma.

It has been fantastic and have never had any problems.

I also have a samsung lcd and dvd recorder.

I buy everything in Samsung in AV as first choice.

It started 5 years ago, when I bought my first big tv which is a plasma.

It has been fantastic and have never had any problems.

I also have a samsung lcd and dvd recorder.

Same here brother.....i still have my Samsung PS42P5H HD Plasma in my bedroom.

that was like 3 years ago....and it's still running better than any current plasma.

along with my DVD HD850.....