Sign in to follow this  
pietro1503559499

New Hd Channels In Regional Areas

Just a hypothetical question:

Would it be possible for SC10 to re-broadcast the 10HD shows in SD (for the time being)? I mean if they're going to screw us by giving us no HD content at all because perhaps they can't source it anymore, i would still like to see the "HD" channel being put to some use. That way they can still insert local ads, and people won't get too pissed off. Of course as soon as they get enough HD encoders, then i want my HD content back.

But then again i guess they would need 2 SD encoders per area. Hmmm...

Would it be possible for SC10 to re-broadcast the 10HD shows in SD (for the time being)? I mean if they're going to screw us by giving us no HD content at all because perhaps they can't source it anymore, i would still like to see the "HD" channel being put to some use. That way they can still insert local ads, and people won't get too pissed off. Of course as soon as they get enough HD encoders, then i want my HD content back.

SD Multichanneling is forbidden until 1 january 2009

SD Multichanneling is forbidden until 1 january 2009

Hopefully our new government will fix the complete balls-up the previous amateurs made of media policy. The media didn't exactly help them into government, so they don't need to "protect" anyone, like the Liberals did.

It looks as if they will still give HD content when TEN network is transmitting the same programme on both channels. eg. Law and Order were in (very good) HD on SC10 last night.

Townsville Southern Cross 10 said they were looking at March 2008 at least for the extra channels. Pathetic.

Townsville Southern Cross 10 said they were looking at March 2008 at least for the extra channels. Pathetic.

That is rather crook. If SC10 wanted to they could no doubt operate the 'extra' programming in the same way as they do with the existing simulcast HD programming - ie demo loop during ad breaks on the HD channel. Then as time and equipment permits roll out the 'full' HD service with local ads.

Now before anyone stands up and says that their automation systems couldn't cope I'd take a punt that their system is already configured with two 'paths' which allows HD and SD to be independantly controlled. On more than one occasion I've seen SC10's HD have incorrectly timed switches to / from the demo loop which should run during ad breaks while the SD channel was switched correctly.

That is rather crook. If SC10 wanted to they could no doubt operate the 'extra' programming in the same way as they do with the existing simulcast HD programming - ie demo loop during ad breaks on the HD channel. Then as time and equipment permits roll out the 'full' HD service with local ads.

Now before anyone stands up and says that their automation systems couldn't cope I'd take a punt that their system is already configured with two 'paths' which allows HD and SD to be independantly controlled. On more than one occasion I've seen SC10's HD have incorrectly timed switches to / from the demo loop which should run during ad breaks while the SD channel was switched correctly.

SC10 need to be able to insert ads on HD to pay for the extra content, they currently don't have enough HD Encoders to do so, and they'll have more HD Encoders installed by the end of March 2008 just like the person at SC10 said.

It would be interesting to know how much extra it would cost SC10 to get 10HD as shown in capital cities. It's a shame they don't just pay to keep faith with their regional viewers. You'd almost hope that 10 would waive the extra fees until SC10 is ready to do the commercials. It would be in their interest to promote their 10HD as widely as possible, I would have thought.

It would be interesting to know how much extra it would cost SC10 to get 10HD as shown in capital cities. It's a shame they don't just pay to keep faith with their regional viewers. You'd almost hope that 10 would waive the extra fees until SC10 is ready to do the commercials. It would be in their interest to promote their 10HD as widely as possible, I would have thought.

You Want SC10 to go into dept and then lose having any Ch 10 Programming?

Finally got an answer to my email to SC10. This must be the definitive answer:

Firstly I would like to apologise for my delayed response and thank you for your enquiry regarding a future timeline for HD on Southern Cross Ten.

Southern Cross Ten is committed to delivering High Definition programs to all of our viewers throughout regional Australia – and to achieve this, we are currently undertaking a significant rebuild of our studio facilities.

When this upgrade is completed we will deliver our usual Standard Definition program line-up plus an exciting range of High Definition programs that will mirror the offerings recently announced by our program supplier, the Ten Network. This will include sport, movies and series – all in HD and, where available, with 5.1 channel Surround Sound.

Our commitment to the rollout of HD will not only see these new services introduced in your region but also in a total of 28 regional areas stretching from Far North Queensland to Tasmania, making this one of the largest television projects in recent times. Due to the scale of the project, we estimate HD services will be available in your area by the middle of 2008. Closer to time we will be promoting the actual start date on-air and in our regular program guides, so please stay tuned.

Thank you again for your interest in our High Definition programs and I am sure you will be thrilled by what we will deliver in 2008.

Kind Regards

G'day,

I think we can detirmine what's going on here, if we can compare the Seven HD and Prime HD services to the Ten HD and Southern Cross Ten HD services. Why is one network doing it for regional areas and the other not?

Easy....Prime HD is relaying Seven HD straight, without any Prime intervention and the ads on Seven HD reflect that...no local ads, in fact, there's only ads for brands that are not geographically specific

As for Ten HD, they play ads. If Southern Cross Ten HD was to join in, Ten HD would want to do what Seven HD are doing, minimal ads, and no geographically specific ads, but maybe a little bit of Loop as well

The new series, "Journeyman" just started two weeks ago then all of a sudden it was pulled and replaced with a repeat

episode of "Law & Order SVU". It was transferred to Ten HD, leaving us regional viewers wondering what the hell David

Mott is doing. The same the thing has happened to "Battlestar Gallactica".

No consideration is given to regional viewers who don't have th new channel.

I'll stick to DVD's and to hell with free to air whio on on the path to self destruction.