New Hd Channels In Regional Areas

Rather than follow the extensive threads about capital city channels I thought a thread specific for regional viewers might be appropriate.

When Network 10 announced their new HD channel I emailed SC10 to see if they were going to follow and the response was they were working on it and hoping to make an announcement. Nothing so far that I know of.

Does anyone have further info on what SC10 and Prime will be doing for the regional HD addicts? I would also mention WIN but feel that would be ridiculous. Come on WIN, astound us.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than follow the extensive threads about capital city channels I thought a thread specific for regional viewers might be appropriate.

When Network 10 announced their new HD channel I emailed SC10 to see if they were going to follow and the response was they were working on it and hoping to make an announcement. Nothing so far that I know of.

Does anyone have further info on what SC10 and Prime will be doing for the regional HD addicts? I would also mention WIN but feel that would be ridiculous. Come on WIN, astound us.

Last night PRIME did not go to the HD signal that the state capital cities was getting, instead redirecting the HD channel to SD as always... so looks like nothing for us

Last night PRIME did not go to the HD signal that the state capital cities was getting, instead redirecting the HD channel to SD as always... so looks like nothing for us

If we have to wait, you'd think that they could put on better programs rather than the rubbish that has been on the last couple of nights!

I just got a email reply from SC10 and...to quote!!

"We are currently evaluating our options on this and are hoping to have a HD service up and running by mid next year."

..better than nothing I suppose. Hopefully they will not take that long to get it up and running in the regional areas.

I just got a email reply from SC10 and...to quote!!

"We are currently evaluating our options on this and are hoping to have a HD service up and running by mid next year."

..better than nothing I suppose. Hopefully they will not take that long to get it up and running in the regional areas.

"mid next year" what does that translate to in the real world, one year or more.

I don't see why SC10 couldn't, in the short term, offer 10's HD service in the same way that they currently offer 10's HD programming and do it without a 6+ month delay. Sure it means no localised advertising (no real ads at all), but they could work towards that while running 10's alternate programming.

I don't see why SC10 couldn't, in the short term, offer 10's HD service in the same way that they currently offer 10's HD programming and do it without a 6+ month delay. Sure it means no localised advertising (no real ads at all), but they could work towards that while running 10's alternate programming.

I don't see why Prime can't either. I would have thought SC10 could follow Prime's example with commercials. They don't show local but seem to have Australia-wide more generalised ads, but I don't think they are the same as the 7HD commercials. Or maybe they are?

I don't see why Prime can't either. I would have thought SC10 could follow Prime's example with commercials. They don't show local but seem to have Australia-wide more generalised ads, but I don't think they are the same as the 7HD commercials. Or maybe they are?

When we watch Prime (CW NSW) we get Wollongong adds, they don't mean much to us but are something different. People bag the ABc but when they introduce a new channel atleast everyone gets it at the same time.

When we watch Prime (CW NSW) we get Wollongong adds, they don't mean much to us but are something different. People bag the ABc but when they introduce a new channel atleast everyone gets it at the same time.

Are you saying you get Wollongong ads on HD Prime, or just SD?

I was under the impression that ads on HD came from Prime HQ Canberra and were meant to be appropriate for all areas.

Edited by pietro

Are you saying you get Wollongong ads on HD Prime, or just SD?

I was under the impression that ads on HD came from Prime HQ Canberra and were meant to be appropriate for all areas.

Just the HD channel during HD shows, I assumed they are wollongong because they are advertising some wollongong businesses...unless the adds from Canberra are directed more to the South Coast/Wollongong area due to the population.

Just the HD channel during HD shows, I assumed they are wollongong because they are advertising some wollongong businesses...unless the adds from Canberra are directed more to the South Coast/Wollongong area due to the population.

Yes the PRIME HD ads are all from Wollongong (I posted this in the Canberra forum a few months ago and was told the HD transmitter for PRIME was there) however they also show ads for Victorian towns as well...

PRIME HD is the only place I can see the guy from Sturman Electronics (now that he has broken his leg and all...)

Actually, Prime HD would be coming from Canberra as well. As far as I know, Prime doesn't have any transmission facilities in their Wollongong office.

Well if PRIME HD is coming from Canberra why:

1) Are there NO Canberra based ad's shown during programs on the HD channel, when there are on the SD channel?

2) Are the same ads on the HD channel not the same as the SD channel?

3) Does it frequently show commercials for shops and products based in and located in Wollongong?

Are you saying that the Wollongong businesses (with the exception of Shipwrecked from Warnambool Victoria) the only ones who advertise on PRIME HD, while the Canberra businesses can't get a look in? I'd be upset if I was a Canberra based business

No idea about 1 and 3 (although I am sure I have seen ACT adverts on the HD channel in the past).

2. Because the HD channel is going through a different system than SD (ie. it is basically the HD feed from Seven apart from ads being inserted in). In other words, they are most likely only running one encoder (among other things like monitoring gear, playout servers) for HD, while SD they have at least one for each market.

Just a heads up everyone ; I receive PrimeHD [complete with wollongong ads] in Newcastle and noticed for the first time tonight the new 7HD logo [with prism]. Only onscreen for a second -so either a subliminal ad or an editing stuff up ? . The mind is boggling :D

Just a heads up everyone ; I receive PrimeHD [complete with wollongong ads] in Newcastle and noticed for the first time tonight the new 7HD logo [with prism]. Only onscreen for a second -so either a subliminal ad or an editing stuff up ? . The mind is boggling :D

You see PRIME do that quite a bit here - sometimes we'll see the Channel 7 classifications at the start of programs, or the Channel 7 supers over programming as well. as well as the infamous coming back to the Channel 7 feed a split second too early and catching the very last bit of the Channel 7 advertisement (happens alot during Deal Or No Deal in the new headlines update bit)

All,

The commercials for PRIME are done in the following way. Due to current infrastructure, which i won't get into, the HD service is piped out to the public in two streams. One heads to our Southern market and the other to our Northern market. South being everywhere below and including Canberra and North being everything above. The commercials that are inserted are all nationals but are tailored for these two defined areas as well. The reason there are heaps of Wollongong ads is probably coincidental, i would need to check, but is most likely due to a national advertiser targeting Wollongong for whatever reason.

All broadcasting of Prime's telecast originates from Canberra's broadcast facility with commercials inserted at each relevant markets node. For example if an SD event is airing in Newcastle then those commercials are played out from Newcastle but it is still controlled / automated from Canberra. The program itself originates from 7 but is played out on Prime via Canberra.

We (Prime) will begin our HD Multichannel broadcasting as of tonight with Die Hard 2

Sweet, big thanks to prime for getting the HD channel to us so quick (could have been a lot more than 2 weeks) :D

Hopefully this may set the tone for the other stations when they start

Edit: Now all we need is a bit of 5.1 and 1920x1080 :P

Edited by lemonato

Good to see Prime broadcasting multichannel HD.

However a Quick question to veratyr_99 if he can answer.

When will prime be doing 5.1 instead of DD 2.0?

Also Id just like to air my annoyance with prime showing SD on the HD channel. What this does is basically stuff any recording on my HTPC of the HD channel due to the switching between SD and HD. and requires a hell of a lot of work to TRY and extract any HD recording sometimes that just plain fails. Watching the channel live is fine thou.

Any chance that the HD channel will become just HD sometime in the future... Even if it is just upconverted SD would be better than constant changes.

Cheers,

Rob.

Good to see Prime broadcasting multichannel HD.

However a Quick question to veratyr_99 if he can answer.

When will prime be doing 5.1 instead of DD 2.0?

Also Id just like to air my annoyance with prime showing SD on the HD channel. What this does is basically stuff any recording on my HTPC of the HD channel due to the switching between SD and HD. and requires a hell of a lot of work to TRY and extract any HD recording sometimes that just plain fails. Watching the channel live is fine thou.

Any chance that the HD channel will become just HD sometime in the future... Even if it is just upconverted SD would be better than constant changes.

Cheers,

Rob.

Yes the switching annoys me too, but the amount of mux switching involved in switching all our feeds back and forth from SD / HD takes time. At this point in time we are unable to leave it on full time due to reasons that are beyond the scope of this thread. But yes there are plans to make it HD full time. Unsure of the time frame but at the minute we just want to get it out there. The future will probably see running HD internally inhouse and then down converting it to SD as and where required. But this is still in the pipeline and will be a while off.

Most viewers, from what I have heard, prefer the SD being played out when no HD is to air as it reduces the amount of channels they need to worry about. Well it did until Multichannelling. My personal preference is the way it is now.

And we can only do the audio we receive from 7. At this point in time it is DD 2.0.

Hope this helps.