Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

Some (most?) TVs don't fully power off straight away when you turn them off. For example, ....

i think you've got it right.

if i turn the tv off then straight on, the image comes on almost immediately, and the guide information is retained.

if i turn it off for over 5 mins, then on, the tv first flashes the 'sony' splash screen, then the tv image comes on after a few seconds, and the guide information is lost.

Did they come out and assess the problem first or did that take your word for it?

took my word..common prob I believe

I also have this problem with the EPG on a Sony Bravia — it's very annoying and bad design. I get that EPG info is provided in the broadcast stream, but how is a cheap PC tuner and software able to get at least a full day or current channel range EPG automatically without first switching to each station block but a $2000 television cannot?

I also have this problem with the EPG on a Sony Bravia — it's very annoying and bad design. I get that EPG info is provided in the broadcast stream, but how is a cheap PC tuner and software able to get at least a full day or current channel range EPG automatically without first switching to each station block but a $2000 television cannot?
Because a cheap PC has got more memory and associated processing power than a device which is mainly designed to only display pictures. EPGs in TVs are getting a little better but Sony were a bit slow to the party.

Guest nibbles

Hi all.

Starting to have the same issues with my TV as a few others have had, thought I'd post the details for comparisons.

KLV-46XBR

Manufactured: February 2008

If you divided the screen into 3 parts vertically and imagined there's a back-light for each section, the light for the middle section isn't working.

There's still a picture there, but no brightness and the colour is a little off, with the right-hand side of the screen flicking a little too. Started doing it about a week ago, went away quick, but has become common on turn on, disappearing after 20 minutes or so when the set has warmed up. Can take some pics if anyone is interested.

Still under extended warranty with JB-Hi Fi, so will have to give them a call and see what happens. Wait till next week as there will probably be a skeleton staff on over Easter.

Anyone had experience dealing with JB for warranty issues? Might be tempted at taking a credit towards a new TV if they offer that, and it's worthwhile for me.

Edited by nibbles

Hi All

I bought a Sony KDL46XBR in November 2007. Few weeks back it started have faint lines in the top right side of the screen, and in last week just below the lines it is having a small square of pink color (though the color changes with the background color).

Any ideas on the problem and how much it is going to cost me to fix it (it is out of warrant now)?

I am not happy with the performance of the Sony TVs lately. Many of my friends have bought the TVs, and mos to of them have developed some fault or other.

If I have to buy another TV I am thinking of not going for Sony again. Any recommendations on other TVs - Panasonic Plasmas or Samsung LED LCDs in terms of their reliability?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Harry

I have a Sony 2010 model a 40ex500 and I am planning to purchase a usb powered 1tb portable hard drive, probably purchase a seagate or samsung brand. I was wondering if anybody with a sony bravia can play their portable hard drive on a sony bravia?

I am not after a ac powered hard drive as I dont want to further crowd my power points, but I do already have a 1tb vertbatim brand external hard drive, but is currently used on my olin hd set top box, that works with my sony bravia 40ex500.

Why not just buy another Verbatim drive? I'm surprised the Sony powers a 1TB drive via USB though...

Why not just buy another Verbatim drive? I'm surprised the Sony powers a 1TB drive via USB though...

The vertbatim drive use ac power, I would prefer to use a usb power so I can use it around my sony bravia and my car

I can confirm my 55ex500 can run a 1tb 2.5" hard drive.

I just plugged my LG one in that I run all my tv shows and music vids off through my PS3.

It took half a dozen tries before it came across an avi that it decided it liked though and would play.

I can confirm my 55ex500 can run a 1tb 2.5" hard drive.

I just plugged my LG one in that I run all my tv shows and music vids off through my PS3.

It took half a dozen tries before it came across an avi that it decided it liked though and would play.

what brand/model is it and whether it is USB powered or requires a AC power plug? thanks

I just bought the 1tb Seagate Portable Hard drive [ model: ST910004EXM101-RK ] from Officeworks on sale at $99. After I open the package I used it on my bravia, but it can not read the hard drive. I then hook the hard drive up to my computer and I find it is formatted as a "NTFS". Since I know that my bravia cannot read it as a "NTFS" format file, I reformatted it as a FAT32 file using a FAT32 converter at http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm and now my bravia can read my movies/pics stored on the portable hard drive.

Edited by yabbitboy

Going to sell my KBL52XBR What is a fair price for a second hand one of these now days! It's in immaculate condition. Have a friend who is keen on it!

Spam reported.

I purchased the SONY Bravia KDL-40CX520 yesterday and have attempted to connect the TV to my Foxtel box. I was given instructions from my place of purchase to change the settings on my Foxtel to YUV before connecting to my new TV. Unfortunately, while I thought I was doing the right thing and followed this, I didn't SAVE the settings on the Foxtel box!!!! So I therefore connected my new TV without changing the settings. So now when connecting my TV to Foxtel using a SCART to Component (Red/Green/Blue plus Red/White for Audio), I have perfect audio but no picture, just a black screen.

Is there anyway to fix this???

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hook it up to the TV using your standard composite cables (ie Yellow/White/Red), make the change and then reconnect the way you want it.

I have a KDL-40W3100. I picked it up 2HD for the kids to use to play xbox. It worked fine for about 20 mins and now has an issue. The red light on the front is blinking 10 times. From reading through other posts it says it is an error with Digital FE circuit (whatever that is!). Is this expensive to fix? Can you fix it yourself? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

G'Day

Anyone out there have troubleshooting experience on the Sony Bravia KDLX3100 series ?

I recently picked up a 52" with no display as a project to learn about LCD TV's and how to troubleshoot and fix as a side hobby.

The set will turn on and stay on with green LED, the back lights come though they do flicker (Not sure if they should be solid or flicker).

The screen is black but the back light flickering can be seen.Occasionally at random areas on the screen a horizontal line the full width of the screen will flick on then off.

There is no OSD/Menu either and haven't been able to access the diagnostic or service modes.

When I disconnect the left connector going from the UB1 board to the T-Con board the back lights shut off and the standby LED flashes red 5 times indicating a T-Con comms error.Plug the connector back in and it goes away.

When I do the opposite the top area of the screen develops green and pink speckled flickering on a white background.This does not cover the whole screen however.

From the info I've gathered on this model the problem is pointing towards the FB2 board which does all the video processing.

Doing some testing on the FB2 board I've found that there is no voltage reading at the F4600 fuse which appears to be related to the D-Sub connector.I'm unsure whether this only has a voltage when a connector is plugged so I'm not certain if this is related to my problem or not.

Reading a Sony training manual for the XBR4,XBR5,W3000 and VL130 series there is an amber "Heartbeat LED located on the FB1/FB3 boards that should be flashing.

The service manual for the X3100 makes no mention of this though the info between service manuals and training manuals is somewhat different.

In the area on the FB2 board where the heartbeat LED would be located(LHS lower area) I can see what looks like any other surface mount fuse or capacitor(A tiny rectangular block) but it's coloring is opaque rather than a brown,black,grey like all the others.It appears to be the only one like this on the board so it could be the LED spoken off in the other models.If so it's not flashing.

So this is where I'm at with this problem

If anyone has any experience with this model or has experienced similar problems I'd love to hear from you

Thanks

Steve