Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

I have a KDL-46X3100, is there a firmware upgrade for anything on this TV? I was hoping for one for EPG and maybe the fan noise.

Anyone know???

What's wrong with the EPG?

Fan noise? .. I never knew they had a fan .. mine was as quiet as.

EPG = Only Now & Next, I want Full EPG

KDL-46X3100 has fans, I can hear mine when volume is down. I read other people have the same problem

Guest monij2007
Thanks for your replies, the manufacturers warranty is finished but I got extended warranty. I called them up today (was put on hold for so d*mn long lol), anyway they said they'll send someone to have a look at the tv and see what they can do.

monij2007 may i ask where you bought it from?

hi Odi,

i bought it from jbhifi so I ended up appealing to them. even though the tv was nearly 2years old, they honoured the statutory warranty & offered an ex700 as a replacement, a much better & more expensive model then the extended warranty company offered. had the extended warranty offered that tv at the start I would have been all over it but I ended up taking the cash equivalent instead.

Guest monij2007
My father has the KDL46X3100 that is experiencing much the same problems as described here, the right side of the screen is dark and used to go away after 10-15mins when it warms up, but more recently it's been a lot more persistent. Unfortunately, this occurred outside of the 1 year warranty period and my father did not purchase Extended Warranty. Does anyone know a rough price to get this fixed or are there any other options such as complaining to Sony etc.

ring consumer affairs..every product comes with a statutory warranty..u will find the laws of it online. the statutory warranty states that a product must be of merchantable quality which in your case it is not. It also states that the product must last for a reasonable amount of time which yours has not. your fathers tv at that price would be expected to last a LOT longer then it has. I wrote a letter to the seller & claimed through my statutory warranty rights. consumer affairs will send you a draft letter to help you word it the right way and give you advice on the phone. the panel IS faulty which means you are covered & should be able to claim a replacement, refund or store credit. to fix these panels are around $2000 so write to your seller first. Apparently there was a faulty batch of these panels, Sony is well aware of the problem though getting anyone to admit it will be a different issue. good luck

ring consumer affairs..every product comes with a statutory warranty..u will find the laws of it online. the statutory warranty states that a product must be of merchantable quality which in your case it is not. It also states that the product must last for a reasonable amount of time which yours has not. your fathers tv at that price would be expected to last a LOT longer then it has. I wrote a letter to the seller & claimed through my statutory warranty rights. consumer affairs will send you a draft letter to help you word it the right way and give you advice on the phone. the panel IS faulty which means you are covered & should be able to claim a replacement, refund or store credit. to fix these panels are around $2000 so write to your seller first. Apparently there was a faulty batch of these panels, Sony is well aware of the problem though getting anyone to admit it will be a different issue. good luck

This is correct. I had my screen replaced after 1 year. The technican said it was quite common and had replaced many.

I would cotact sony and explain the fault as they may replace free of charge as it is a know defect with the product.

Godd Luck!

I'd be interested to know the date and place of manufacture of all these failing TVs. There may be a common link we can pinpoint.

My 46X3100 was made in Japan in August 2007. Still going strong.

A bit of a toss-up between the two. The 600 series are edge-lit & the 500 ccfl. The 600's are wi-fi ready though & a couple of hundred bucks more. Considering the build quality of the XBR's & their pricing back then, the HX700 would be a fairer replacement, though specs on the 700 are higher than those of the XBR. I guess I can understand them not wanting to do the HX700 on specs alone. I guess a 600 is better than nothing at all. If you're not happy with it you can always sell it as new.

Cheers.

my kdl40x3100 has a faulty panel and is going to be replaced under 3rd party warranty with a EX500. Should I push for the EX600?

My father has the KDL46X3100 that is experiencing much the same problems as described here, the right side of the screen is dark and used to go away after 10-15mins when it warms up, but more recently it's been a lot more persistent. Unfortunately, this occurred outside of the 1 year warranty period and my father did not purchase Extended Warranty. Does anyone know a rough price to get this fixed or are there any other options such as complaining to Sony etc.

I have just encountered the same problem with my KDL46X3100 - manufactured June 2008, purchased sep 2008. Upon contact with Sony, they have arranged for my screen to be replaced, although outside of 12 month warranty (by 6 months). I am advised by the allocated repairer that the screen will be installed within a couple of weeks. Very pleased with this, if promise is delivered (which I have no doubt that it will be). I was told it has something to do with the crystals in the LCD screen not engaging on cold start up, but as set warms up, the crystals engage and the pic is normal - not tech minded, but it seems like a reasonable answer, and given the prompt acknowledgemnt and response by Sony, I would guess a common occurrence. If your father has not yet done so, suggest a call to Sony will get fix underway.

I have just encountered the same problem with my KDL46X3100 - manufactured June 2008, purchased sep 2008. Upon contact with Sony, they have arranged for my screen to be replaced, although outside of 12 month warranty (by 6 months). I am advised by the allocated repairer that the screen will be installed within a couple of weeks. Very pleased with this, if promise is delivered (which I have no doubt that it will be). I was told it has something to do with the crystals in the LCD screen not engaging on cold start up, but as set warms up, the crystals engage and the pic is normal - not tech minded, but it seems like a reasonable answer, and given the prompt acknowledgemnt and response by Sony, I would guess a common occurrence. If your father has not yet done so, suggest a call to Sony will get fix underway.

Hi Grechs, just curious but which Sony office were you in contact with? It would be helpful to know in case my LCD panel fails. Mine is 2 years old and so far so good - no problems.

Thanks

Hi Grechs, just curious but which Sony office were you in contact with? It would be helpful to know in case my LCD panel fails. Mine is 2 years old and so far so good - no problems.

Thanks

Hi, great to see all the posts, and "happy" I am not alone. My Sony Bravia KDL46XBR, purchased July 08, started having the half screen display problems about 2 months ago. After warm up, 15-20 mins, picture was OK - but figured there was an underlying problem which would eventually result in full screen failure. Had an extended warranty from JB, so used it. Now, 2 months later, my KDL46XBR is back in my living room, unrepaired and waiting for the "Bravia Support Group" to contact me about the repair. I am very disappointed, having reported the fault to JB 1 month ago, had the TV taken away by Impulse in Melbourne, and then returned unrepaired. Calls to JB and Impulse have been polite, but ultimatley not satisfactory. I will now try and contact the "Bravia Support Group", and would appreciate any contact detials ? What is ultimately annoying here is that clearly this is a known fault, and yet I have been without my TV for 1 month, and still no closer to a resolution. Cheers, theanets

Hello everyone, I bought a Sony KDL32EX500 Bravia TV from Myer last week and it's been outstanding so far. The only issue I have found is that there is a bit of ghosting on moving objects. Not an extreme case of ghosting, I've seen some examples that look totally unwatchable but there's just a little bit. Usually it's unnoticeable but during some video games the problem is very evident due to the colours the game uses I guess.

I was wondering if there was a way to fix it? Xbox 360 and PS3 through HDMI have ghosting and so does digital TV so I'm sure it's an issue with the panel itself. Is there a quick fix or if I want to be rid of ghosting will I have to exchange my TV for another brand/model?

Thanks!

Hi, great to see all the posts, and "happy" I am not alone. My Sony Bravia KDL46XBR, purchased July 08, started having the half screen display problems about 2 months ago. After warm up, 15-20 mins, picture was OK - but figured there was an underlying problem which would eventually result in full screen failure. Had an extended warranty from JB, so used it. Now, 2 months later, my KDL46XBR is back in my living room, unrepaired and waiting for the "Bravia Support Group" to contact me about the repair. I am very disappointed, having reported the fault to JB 1 month ago, had the TV taken away by Impulse in Melbourne, and then returned unrepaired. Calls to JB and Impulse have been polite, but ultimatley not satisfactory. I will now try and contact the "Bravia Support Group", and would appreciate any contact detials ? What is ultimately annoying here is that clearly this is a known fault, and yet I have been without my TV for 1 month, and still no closer to a resolution. Cheers, theanets

Hi

I just contacted Sony direct after going to this website http://www.sony.com.au/section/servicecentres

I did get passed onto the correct service centre, who were quite professional, logged my fault, and directed a local service agency to arrange for screen to be replaced. I have had to wait about 6 weeks for stock to be delivered. I was contacted yesterday and new screen will be delivered on Monday, so it looks to be an ideal outcome from my perspective.

Hi

I just contacted Sony direct after going to this website http://www.sony.com.au/section/servicecentres

I did get passed onto the correct service centre, who were quite professional, logged my fault, and directed a local service agency to arrange for screen to be replaced. I have had to wait about 6 weeks for stock to be delivered. I was contacted yesterday and new screen will be delivered on Monday, so it looks to be an ideal outcome from my perspective.

Did they come out and assess the problem first or did that take your word for it?

Hi - don't want to gate crash the Bravia thread, but as I can't find a Sony Wega thread I was hoping someone here could help me. I have a Grand Wega LCD Projection TV which has a strange blue wave permanently imprinted across the bottom of the screen. It began as a small curved line and didn't bother me at first, but it has since grown substantially in size and there's no indication from the manual as to what might be causing the problem. The only solution to the problem (according to Sony) was the lamp which needs to be replaced after every 8 000 hrs, so I bought a replacement but the line is still there.

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Thanks TJ46.

You are definitely not alone. I have a similar story. Bought a KDL46XBR from JB for $3000 in Brisbane and a few months after the warranty expiry, two-thirds of the display is dark and blurred. Took it to a repairer who said the power supply had overheated and failed (the top of my tv gets very hot during the Queensland summer). He replaced a regulator and a heatsink but the problem continued. He suggested a new power supply for about $600 plus labour or buying a new tv. I began by searching for power supply details and instead found this forum. There are many similar posts about Sony Bravia failures and reports that some have had their LCD replaced.

The cost of either a new power supply or a new LCD seems to be approaching that of a new tv. For example, Harvey Norman are currently advertising an LG HD 50" plasma for $1000. The very large number of posts about this suggests that Bravias have design flaws and problems occur again. Consequently, I am losing interest in repair options.

The only advice I can suggest is cut and run. Namely, buy something else and get an extended warranty and/or use an Amex card (with an implied extended warranty).

QUOTE (nrl_bulldogs @ Apr 28 2010, 11:07 PM)

When the warranty people sent my tv to the repairers, the repairer said that the problem had something to do the panel and it had to be replaced, they said it would cost them around $1500 to replace the panel if I remember correctly =/.

Gedday ....Got a quote for a new panel in my KDL46X3100 was $880...does anyone know what quality is like of new panels??? or what make go back in???...repairer said new ones were good quality panels

cheers

I have a KDL40x3100 and as of two days ago, it seems like the optical out on the rear of the TV is faulty.

The sound that I am getting (if any) is extremely choppy, cutting in and out. I have this connected to my receiver. As soon as I disconnect the optical, and connect RCA, it works fine. When looking closely at the optical port on the rear of the tv, the red light blinks intermittently - is this normal? The cable is working fine, as I have tested it from my PS3 and Foxtel IQ box without an issue.

Has/is anyone else experiencing dramas with their optical audio?

Thankfully my TV is still under extended warranty and a tech can come and have a look at it.

EDIT:

Just found another user with the same issue...

Hi All,

I've got a 42x3100 and am having problems with the digital output.

I have the digital out running to my davd-z777 sony home theatre system. All was fine for about 3 months, up until about 1.5 weeks ago.

The sound has started cutting out intermittently (1-2 second sometimes more intervals of cutout and then the sound comes back) this happens constantly, like every 5-10 seconds.

I've tested other devices connected to the sound system through the same optical port (PS3, HTPC) and they work fine.

I've tried a different optical cable that I know should work.

I've tried switching sound on the TV back to "TV Speaker" and that works fine, so I've narrowed it down that it has something to do with the TV optical port.

The TV is just out of warranty (I believe the Bravia LCD series is covered by 12 month warranty?)

Has anyone experienced this same problem, or have any ideas of what could possibly fix it?

Cheers heaps in advance!

Edited by matthew_fitzy

I have a KDL40x3100 and as of two days ago, it seems like the optical out on the rear of the TV is faulty.

The sound that I am getting (if any) is extremely choppy, cutting in and out. I have this connected to my receiver. As soon as I disconnect the optical, and connect RCA, it works fine. When looking closely at the optical port on the rear of the tv, the red light blinks intermittently - is this normal? The cable is working fine, as I have tested it from my PS3 and Foxtel IQ box without an issue.

Has/is anyone else experiencing dramas with their optical audio?

Thankfully my TV is still under extended warranty and a tech can come and have a look at it.

EDIT:

Just found another user with the same issue...

In regards to this, I heard and experianced a issue like this with choppy sound. It was from Austars end. There was a number of posts on this. Not sure if this is your problem but its worth a look.

My TV Speakers were find but when I watched if through Home Theatre is was choppy. Only happened on some channels too, showtime, Showcase etc Chans with Dolby Digital I think

All fixed now tho, well I havent watched Austar with Home Theatre in a bit

I bought a KDL40W3100 in december '07 from Harvey Norman for $2399 + $200 for 4yr extended warranty (RRP according to sony website was $2999). About 3 weeks ago it stopped working so I called them up and some repair guys came to pick it up. I got a call yesterday saying that apparently the repairs will cost over $2000 so they're offering me a new KDL40EX600 instead. The EX600 is only RRP$1599 so I imagine they can be haggled down to around $1300-$1350 but I imagine it's a better tv then my old one, right? What has me worried is a clause in the extended warranty that says "If a warranted item is replaced then this warranty will end when replacement occurs". Am I in a position to negotiate with them about the remaining 28 months of extended warranty?

My Bravia XBR 46" LCD bought in early '08 had the 'dark and blurry' problem on half the screen pop up this year (it grew from 1/5 to 1/2 screen over a month).

After reading here, I thought I'd be in for a lot of hassle, but I contacted Digital Domain in Adelaide (where I live) and they were excellent.

I had a new LCD panel delivered and installed within a week, all covered by Sony - no cost to me.

They were very friendly and helpful and Sony honoured the fault with no questions - they didn't even ask to see the screen in it's damaged mode.

Very pleased with outcome. I recommend doing the same if your TV goes down in South Australia (other states prob have their own divisions).

There is hope!

I have a KDL 55EX500 and a Toshiba laptop. I tried to use the TV as a second display for the laptop using a VGA/SVGA cable. However, the TV seems not detecting the connection (PC connection is grey out, not selectable from the menu). I have tried setting different resolution available in the PC as suggested somewhere on the net but not successful. If anybody know this issue, please help me. Thanks a lot.

Hey Guys,

I have a KDL46-Z5500 about 1 year old now.

I have it pluged into my HTPC via optical and then my HTPC is pluged into my Speakers via Optical.

Now i seem to be having this issue af of late, never noticed it before.

While watching TV (both analogue and digital) and notice sometimes that the sound does not come throught at all. but if i skip back and forth through the channels it might come through.

This doesnt happen however when i play PS3. The sound is always consistant.

I have reset the TV back to factory settings with no luck.

What do you guys think i should do?

Edited by Dom Christo

KDL46X31000 Fan Issues. Anyone with this set getting fan noise which is a little louder then its meant to be

Now i seem to be having this issue af of late, never noticed it before.

While watching TV (both analogue and digital) and notice sometimes that the sound does not come throught at all. but if i skip back and forth through the channels it might come through.

Is it happening only with SD or HD channels?

They use different aduio formats - SD = mpeg and HD = Dolby.

You may need to fiddle with the audio decoding options on your HTPC

Is it happening only with SD or HD channels?

They use different aduio formats - SD = mpeg and HD = Dolby.

You may need to fiddle with the audio decoding options on your HTPC

Happens on both SD and HD channels. but only sometimes.

Sound card in the HTPC is a Creative Titanium Xfi PCIe, what settings should i be looking at?

Also, like i said, i have no issues with the sound on my PS3.