Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

Hi I bought the 40" bravia X series back in 08 thanks to this forum =] and have just recently experienced problems with the screen. The right hand side of the screen has lines going through it and is very blurry, and you can see double images. Is there anyway to fix this or should I just call Sony up since its still under warranty.

Thanks odi

Guest monij2007
Hi I bought the 40" bravia X series back in 08 thanks to this forum =] and have just recently experienced problems with the screen. The right hand side of the screen has lines going through it and is very blurry, and you can see double images. Is there anyway to fix this or should I just call Sony up since its still under warranty.

Thanks odi

If it is still under a manufacturers warranty then call sony, if it is under an extended warranty take it up with the seller. Google this problem first though, you will see you are definately not the only one, they may replace the panel but it is also quite common for the new panels to do the same thing so do some homework first but quickly. good luck

Guest monij2007
If it is still under a manufacturers warranty then call sony, if it is under an extended warranty take it up with the seller. Google this problem first though, you will see you are definately not the only one, they may replace the panel but it is also quite common for the new panels to do the same thing so do some homework first but quickly. good luck

my KDL46x3100 lasted around 17months before the screen started to band/ go fuzzy on one side. after the tv warmed up it seems to go away..this was not a cheap tv so one would expect in good faith that it would last longer than that. the extended warranty company said they would replace the tv according to the specifications. Unfortunately the one they're offering is pretty much half the price as what I paid. After surfing the net I've discovered that this is not a one off problem. Sony make such great products so this purchase has been a huge disappointment. this model has since been discontinued and to repair the tv is actually pricier then the cost of the replacement tv. Apparently the replacement panel has been known to have the same problems. A tv this price from SUCH a reputable company should last much longer then it has.

Can anyone offer any advice please or has this happened to you? thanks

Thanks for your replies, the manufacturers warranty is finished but I got extended warranty. I called them up today (was put on hold for so d*mn long lol), anyway they said they'll send someone to have a look at the tv and see what they can do.

monij2007 may i ask where you bought it from?

Just in case anyone's interested, I heard from the extended warranty mob today regarding my 46x3100 (13 blink failure) to say that they're replacing it with a 46ex500.

I asked if I had an option to upgrade in the process and they said "that's fine"

Trouble is, I don't know if it's worth upgrading to a better model in the process or just go up in size. To go up to a 55ex would be an extra $460 (great value) but I didn't get upgrade prices for other (better) models as I don't know much about the rest of Sony's range. Opinions?

I haven't given them an answer yet..said I'd discuss it with the boss :D

'edit' I've gone ahead and gone with the 55" Decided to get extended warranty again too..hehe ;)

Edited by KAYAR

Just in case anyone's interested, I heard from the extended warranty mob today regarding my 46x3100 (13 blink failure) to say that they're replacing it with a 46ex500.

I asked if I had an option to upgrade in the process and they said "that's fine"

Trouble is, I don't know if it's worth upgrading to a better model in the process or just go up in size. To go up to a 55ex would be an extra $460 (great value) but I didn't get upgrade prices for other (better) models as I don't know much about the rest of Sony's range. Opinions?

I haven't given them an answer yet..said I'd discuss it with the boss :D

'edit' I've gone ahead and gone with the 55" Decided to get extended warranty again too..hehe ;)

If you don't mind me asking - who is your extended warranty with?

My 46x3100 is currently being assessed for replacement and wondering what they will offer as a replacement.

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking - who is your extended warranty with?

My 46x3100 is currently being assessed for replacement and wondering what they will offer as a replacement.

Thanks

I bought it through Myer so it's their extended warranty.

How do I play a movie from the USB drive on my Sony Bravia KDL-40v4000?

I have tried everything I can think of. Looking through the menu I'm only given an option to view my flash drive for images on picture slide, there is no movie option or anything.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

If the movie is in a .MPG format it will play. If you want to view movies that you download then they will probably be in .avi format. To play these get a WDTV box, they are simply great!!!

For those of you who were reading this thread 12 months ago, I had a bit of an ordeal with my 46" X series LCD which ended up with the panel getting replaced (after a 2 month wait for the panel to come from Japan).

Well guess what, the missus switched on the TV today and the dark lines/blurring have started again on the replacement panel!!

12 months on and the same issue has occurred... very annoyed.

I have an extended warranty and have lodged a request, but it still is very ordinary.

I asked for a replacement TV when in failed last time and they said 'that is not our policy with warranty claims'.

Well Sony will be getting a very firm letter of complaint and I don't think I will be buying one of their TV's again...

/rant

UPDATE:

Service Centre (Optimum Electronics) has confirmed the panel is stuffed - again!

Warranty (through The Good Guys) has confirmed this report from the service centre.

They have offered me a Sony 46EX500 as a replacement or can take a store credit for the same value as this unit.

I think I will be going for something other than a Sony this time.....

I bought it through Myer so it's their extended warranty.

I've got exactly the same problem with a kdl40x3100. Repair guy is coming on Thurs from European Appliances (in Melb). Do you think they'll replace it? And what should I be looking at a as replacement model?

I've got exactly the same problem with a kdl40x3100. Repair guy is coming on Thurs from European Appliances (in Melb). Do you think they'll replace it? And what should I be looking at a as replacement model?

The panels cost about $2k to replace so it simply more cost effective for them to offer a replacement.

They will most likely offer you a KDL40EX500 (they offered me the 46EX500 for my 46X3100).

Luckily I had the option of choosing any other brand to the equivalent value of the Sony.

I ended up getting a 50" Samsung Series 8 Plasma instead.

After the issues with the Sony LCD I had (2 panel failures in 20 months) I decided to go for something else.

Good luck!

I've been dealing with these guys for 6 months to replace the panel in my kdl46x3100.

They took over 4 weeks to come out initially, the guy took one look and said yep you need a new panel. This was dated 19/11/2009. "Don't worry we'll call you when the part arrives".

After waiting a while and hearing nothing i call/attempt to call them numerous times. I was either on hold forever or got the standard response "We'll get back to you today, the manager is at lunch" etc.

Finally i call back after not hearing a peep AGAIN, and get told to call the warranty group directly as they're not allowed to. (Would've been nice to hear this the first time.)

I call the warranty group numerous times and as i refuse to keep being put on hold for longer than 10 minutes, i leave my details for them to call back.

Finally get a call back a few days ago and get told that it's all been sorted and they will send out a voucher for $699 to replace my faulty PS3!!!!

This was purchased on the same docket and somehow got flagged as the product i was making a claim for even though the quote sent to the warranty group was $2200 to fix the panel!!!

(Here I was thinking it was a good will gift for all the stuffing around.)

The manager of the warranty group calls me today and offers me a replacement tv, Model# KDL46ex700. Can anyone tell me if this is a good swap? Should i demand more for being stuffed around so much?

p.s. The tv has been watchable after a 5-15 minute warm up period every morning so i haven't been without but it's pretty annoying.

Are there any owners of the 2007/08 Sony Bravia X series out there who have had positive experiences with their LCD TVs?

I've had mine for nearly two years and it has performed without a hiccup (touch wood) so was wondering if anyone has reached the 3 year milestone without any problems. Or are all Sony X series TVs doomed to fail within several years?

Hi, I was just wondering how long does it normally for your warranty claims to be processed and how long it took for you to get your new/old tv back? Mine seems to be taking a while and it's very annoying as I try to check up on the progress (and have been waiting for a long time before my call even gets answered and then I get put back on hold again LOL) and in the end, no progress has happened LOL.

Hi, I was just wondering how long does it normally for your warranty claims to be processed and how long it took for you to get your new/old tv back? Mine seems to be taking a while and it's very annoying as I try to check up on the progress (and have been waiting for a long time before my call even gets answered and then I get put back on hold again LOL) and in the end, no progress has happened LOL.

I'm dealing with an extended warranty with Retravision - the warranty company now want a second quote on repair after European Electronics came out to look at my 40" KDLX3100 and quoted to replace the panel (which has the multi image blurry lines which goes away after 10 mins - but which is now starting to appear after 30 mins plus). The warranty company is baulking at the idea of a replacement set so I now have to send the TV away to another repairer that can't do an onsite repair/review. They don't know how long I will be without the panel.

I think it is absurd that this is happening and Sony should be doing the replacement as there are clearly serious issues that make the unit not fit for the purpose (or the original purchase price) beyond the initial 12 months.

Btw does anyone know where I can rent an LCD panel for for 2-3 weeks?

I'd be contacting the Warranty Company and even the Retravision that sold you the TV and asking that they provide another approved repairer to provide an on-site assessment.

this is worrying.. ive also the x series 46inch sony.. bought in 2009.. :/

Just got a question about my 40W5500. When I press the info button to get program information it seems that it's not displaying the full information. Right now I'm watching the NBA on One HD for example and the info is cut off mid sentence followed by [Program info @ Ten]. Is there any way to get it to display the entire text?

Just called up my warranty people to see what was happening with my tv, they finally decided to give me a replacement tv (40" kdl ex600). Just waiting for Clive Anthony's to give me the details about the replacement tv. Took over a month to get everything sorted, I just hope I don't experience any more problems with the new tv.

Edited by odi

Just called up my warranty people to see what was happening with my tv, they finally decided to give me a replacement tv (40" kdl ex600). Just waiting for Clive Anthony's to give me the details about the replacement tv. Took over a month to get everything sorted, I just hope I don't experience any more problems with the new tv.

They're giving you their bottom of the range 40" tv. What model did you have before? If it was a 40" XBR 3100 I wouldn't be pleased.

Andys.

They're giving you their bottom of the range 40" tv. What model did you have before? If it was a 40" XBR 3100 I wouldn't be pleased.

Andys.

I bought the KDL40X3100. Which I believe was the same as th XBR but with a plain black bezel? I thought the EX500 would have been Sony's bottom range of 40" tvs?

Edited by odi

I bought the KDL40X3100. Which I believe was the same as th XBR but with a plain black bezel? I thought the EX500 would have been Sony's bottom range of 40" tvs?

A bit of a toss-up between the two. The 600 series are edge-lit & the 500 ccfl. The 600's are wi-fi ready though & a couple of hundred bucks more. Considering the build quality of the XBR's & their pricing back then, the HX700 would be a fairer replacement, though specs on the 700 are higher than those of the XBR. I guess I can understand them not wanting to do the HX700 on specs alone. I guess a 600 is better than nothing at all. If you're not happy with it you can always sell it as new.

Cheers.

My father has the KDL46X3100 that is experiencing much the same problems as described here, the right side of the screen is dark and used to go away after 10-15mins when it warms up, but more recently it's been a lot more persistent. Unfortunately, this occurred outside of the 1 year warranty period and my father did not purchase Extended Warranty. Does anyone know a rough price to get this fixed or are there any other options such as complaining to Sony etc.

My father has the KDL46X3100 that is experiencing much the same problems as described here, the right side of the screen is dark and used to go away after 10-15mins when it warms up, but more recently it's been a lot more persistent. Unfortunately, this occurred outside of the 1 year warranty period and my father did not purchase Extended Warranty. Does anyone know a rough price to get this fixed or are there any other options such as complaining to Sony etc.

When the warranty people sent my tv to the repairers, the repairer said that the problem had something to do the panel and it had to be replaced, they said it would cost them around $1500 to replace the panel if I remember correctly =/.

I have a KDL-46X3100, is there a firmware upgrade for anything on this TV? I was hoping for one for EPG and maybe the fan noise.

Anyone know???