Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

Hey all, need some advice.

Bought a 46inch Sony X3100 Series in late 2007 with the DTVForum Group Buy @ Bing Lee Chatswood, paid about $4000 with Extended Warrenty with Easicare.

Few months in it had Red Flashing Pixel Issues, Sony Repaired it and it became worse. In the end they swapped it with a 46inch XBR3100. This was close to the middle of 2008.

For the past few weeks everytime the TV is turned on the picture is distroted and has a tripple view, like an echo. It takes about 20 minutes to clear up and is normal. And flashes still occur intermittantly.

Had the repairer over who detailed the fault and was told a new panel would be ordered, will have to wait till after Christmas to be approved.

Today recieved an email from Easicare, they say its un-repairable and are offering a KDL46W5500 as a replacement as it matches closely to the specs.

Is this a good swap? Im thinking the Z 46inch Series would be a more acceptable offer.

Cheers and Merry Xmas.

Bought a 46inch Sony X3100 Series in late 2007 with the DTVForum Group Buy @ Bing Lee Chatswood, paid about $4000 with Extended Warrenty with Easicare.

Few months in it had Red Flashing Pixel Issues, Sony Repaired it and it became worse. In the end they swapped it with a 46inch XBR3100. This was close to the middle of 2008.

For the past few weeks everytime the TV is turned on the picture is distroted and has a tripple view, like an echo. It takes about 20 minutes to clear up and is normal. And flashes still occur intermittantly.

Had the repairer over who detailed the fault and was told a new panel would be ordered, will have to wait till after Christmas to be approved.

Today recieved an email from Easicare, they say its un-repairable and are offering a KDL46W5500 as a replacement as it matches closely to the specs.

Is this a good swap? Im thinking the Z 46inch Series would be a more acceptable offer.

Cheers and Merry Xmas.

I don't think you have much choice in this matter. The old X and XBR3100 only had 100Hz so the W5500 is the closest match. The Z5500 has 200Hz so it's not a match. You can't argue with price since your old set would have devalued significantly over 2 years.

Just consider yourself lucky that you're getting a new set. Panasonic only replaced my plasma with a refurbished unit when it broke down after 8 months.

hey everyone, posting my questions here since your not aloud to make threads :P

i just bought a new computer and hooked it up to my sony bravia l series KDL-32l400 using a dvi-hdmi adapter and hdmi cable. basicly the problem im having is the text and basicly everything just looks blurry. i figured since i had a 600 dollar tv there wouldnt be any issues using an HDMI cable. please help me figure this out im extremely frustrated as this was my first personally built pc with ZERO problems until this came up. im pretty sure the problem is on the TV's end as ive set everything in CCC to the right settings. please help guys thanks!

Cheers and Merry Xmas.

HI we had the same issue with an 46 inch XBR3100 about 2 weeks ago. Started to get 3 lots of lines on the rhs..with ghosting down that side as well. The Tv was 18 months old...luckily i brought a 12 month extended warrenty from the good guys at the time ( i usually dont as i used to think they were not worth the $$)...they had someone collect it...called back 2 days later and advised it was too expensive to repair and that we would be getting a new equivilent model. They were going to give us the W series...I paid an extra $110 to upgrade to the Z series as it was on special at the time...got the 3 year factory warranty and blu ray playyer that sony are offering at the moment as well. :D

I couldnt be happier...better TV for $110..pls the free blu ray and ext warranty! :P

Hey Guys, new to the forum, just looking for some help so i hope i did it well enough, so i bought a Sony KDL32V5500 Bravia 32" and via the far left white,yellow,red ports i connected my ps3 and that works fine, i tried connecting my foxtel via the other 3 white,yellow,red ports available and neither of them came up with a picture, i even tried taking out the ps3 and trying the foxtel in there, didnt work, just some tips on what to try (Foxtel IQ 1 btw)

Cheers and Merry Xmas.

An update to my situation.

Easicare have agreed to replace my Faulty 46XBR unit with a Z5500 46inch.

However, once this is done the extended warrenty is void, i still would have 3 and a bit years on it.

TV was purchased from Sony Central Chatswood from the DTV Group buy, is this right? Cant belive i only have 1 years warrenty when both my other tv's havent even lasted 1 year!

Hi All

i've got a KDL52w5500 Sony Bravia LCD TV, one particular problem i've got (not exactly a big problem) is when i watch Channel 9 HD there is this white horizontal line appearing on the bottom left hand corner of my tv? is this issue with my tv or the broadcaster? having said this , i am not having any lines on my bedroom tv which also happens to be an LCD Bravia V Series 32"

Is anyone here in the forum having a similar kind of problem? This only happens to me with Channel 9 HD, the rest of the HD channel works a treat.

Can anyone here shed some light?

Kind Regards

William

I have recently come across an issue with my KDL-46X3100 where banding will appear only almost half of the screen and will appear erratically and across all inputs.

Sometimes the picture will be fine and sometimes the banding will popup out of nowhere and then disappear and sometimes the banding will stay on for quite a while.

Any idea what the issue may be and how much it would cost as its 5months out of warranty and if I can do anything about it?

It blows that Sony makes TV's that cost an arm and a leg and barely last a year and a bit.

Here are some photos I took:

http://i49.tinypic.com/69kkjt.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z1zbfb.jpg

i've got a KDL52w5500 Sony Bravia LCD TV, one particular problem i've got (not exactly a big problem) is when i watch Channel 9 HD there is this white horizontal line appearing on the bottom left hand corner of my tv? is this issue with my tv or the broadcaster? having said this , i am not having any lines on my bedroom tv which also happens to be an LCD Bravia V Series 32"
This maybe because you have the TV set to 1:1 pixel mapping or Full or whatever Sony calls the aspect ratio that matches the broadcast. Change this to 16:9 or something else, where you will lose a couple of pixels of footage on the sides, but this will be enough to make the broada=caster rubbish disappear. Most TVs have FTA braodcasts set to the right AR so you don't see this crap that the broadcasters send

EDIT: Notice another forum member is experiencing the same with their Pioneer TV - maybe just CHnein screwing their transmission

It blows that Sony makes TV's that cost an arm and a leg and barely last a year and a bit.
Most of their panels are made by cheap ar$3 chinese manufacturers and fewer and fewer from Samsung and Sharp Edited by diesel

Reposting this from the DVD section since i didn't get any replies:

So I picked up a 32" Sony Bravia 100hz full HD LCD today. My first HD tele, mainly using it for DVDs however, we don't watch a lot of TV.

Hooked it up with component and had a problem with lipsync until I found a setting in my old Pioneer DVD player to output in 'progressive', which fixed it and it's now pretty sweet. Anyone think I would see much benefit from using an upscaling DVD/BD player to upscale my DVDs to 1080p output?

I doubt I would be buying a lot of BDs, maybe a few a year, I just mainly want the best result for watching our dvd collection.

Anyone think I would see much benefit from using an upscaling DVD/BD player to upscale my DVDs to 1080p output?

I doubt I would be buying a lot of BDs, maybe a few a year, I just mainly want the best result for watching our dvd collection.

IMO I think you would. I was never much of a believer of upscaling until i saw how close upscaled SD FTA can be to HD FTA (well what passes for HD FTA most of the time in the country :( ). You can still see the difference, and it is even more pronounced on good HD content, but I believe now that upscaling does provide some benefit.

If you hurry you can snaffle one of the good deals ATM for BD players for ~$199-$239 - Sharp have one and so too Panasonic BD60

My 46x3100 digital tuner appears to have died - TV is just over 2 yrs old and I am not a happy chappy given how much these TV's cost. For those who wrote to Sony to complain - who/where did you write to?

Hey guys..

Purchased the new Sony Bravia tv just before Xmas and i am just wondering how long it takes to recieve the bonus 3 year warranty verification in the mail ?

thanks.

Hey guys..

Purchased the new Sony Bravia tv just before Xmas and i am just wondering how long it takes to recieve the bonus 3 year warranty verification in the mail ?

thanks.

I was going to ask the same question.

I bought mine on 27th of December and I haven't received the confirmation email of 3 years warranty. And for the Blu Ray bonus, I sent the documents by registered post and the system says that it was delivered on 4th of January and Sony tracking still show that they have not received anything yet :S

Hey guys..

thanks.

I bought a 32v series in october and I got the confirmation in the middle of december.

Herbernator

Hi Guys, my first post on this forum so hi to all.

I have recently bought a kdl-52ex1 and also owns a kdl-46x3100 i've noticed a dramatic reduction in picture quality when watcing the EX model on free to air channel.

This is problem is even worse when my daughter watches ABC2 as the picture is quite blcoky around moving objects.

Is this normal cause i am going up from a 46" to a 52" or is there something not quite right with my new EX 52"? Could it be intereference with the wireless unit?

Also am interested in finding out the best picture settings for the EX as i've had my X series set-up really nicely and the picture looks great/colours natural whereas the EX seemed really artificial/fake?

Thanks heaps in advance

I bought a 32v series in october and I got the confirmation in the middle of december.

Herbernator

Thanks for the info Herbernator...

Hi All,

I've got a 42x3100 and am having problems with the digital output.

I have the digital out running to my davd-z777 sony home theatre system. All was fine for about 3 months, up until about 1.5 weeks ago.

The sound has started cutting out intermittently (1-2 second sometimes more intervals of cutout and then the sound comes back) this happens constantly, like every 5-10 seconds.

I've tested other devices connected to the sound system through the same optical port (PS3, HTPC) and they work fine.

I've tried a different optical cable that I know should work.

I've tried switching sound on the TV back to "TV Speaker" and that works fine, so I've narrowed it down that it has something to do with the TV optical port.

The TV is just out of warranty (I believe the Bravia LCD series is covered by 12 month warranty?)

Has anyone experienced this same problem, or have any ideas of what could possibly fix it?

Cheers heaps in advance!

I have recently come across an issue with my KDL-46X3100 where banding will appear only almost half of the screen and will appear erratically and across all inputs.

Sometimes the picture will be fine and sometimes the banding will popup out of nowhere and then disappear and sometimes the banding will stay on for quite a while.

Any idea what the issue may be and how much it would cost as its 5months out of warranty and if I can do anything about it?

Here are some photos I took:

http://i49.tinypic.com/69kkjt.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/1z1zbfb.jpg

its a panel fault called a TAB fault - call Sony and they will fix it

What I do not understand is why people are suprised their TV's break down.... its electronics and they "break down" - never compare your old analogue TV to a new TV.. one is built to a standard to last 10-20 years. NEW TV's are built for 3-5 years.

Edited by hideous

Hi Guys, my first post on this forum so hi to all.

I have recently bought a kdl-52ex1 and also owns a kdl-46x3100 i've noticed a dramatic reduction in picture quality when watcing the EX model on free to air channel.

This is problem is even worse when my daughter watches ABC2 as the picture is quite blcoky around moving objects.

Is this normal cause i am going up from a 46" to a 52" or is there something not quite right with my new EX 52"? Could it be intereference with the wireless unit?

Also am interested in finding out the best picture settings for the EX as i've had my X series set-up really nicely and the picture looks great/colours natural whereas the EX seemed really artificial/fake?

Thanks heaps in advance

the older Sony's used a seperate Australian tuner - the new TV's are pure Sony , integrated and now "software " controlled.

I have found the new TV's really need a near perfect signal to work. My KDL32v5500 will not work where my old 3100 series did.

If you are concerned either try to get Sony to test your antenna or get your own antenna man

Edited by hideous

Hi All,

I've got a 42x3100 and am having problems with the digital output.

I have the digital out running to my davd-z777 sony home theatre system. All was fine for about 3 months, up until about 1.5 weeks ago.

The sound has started cutting out intermittently (1-2 second sometimes more intervals of cutout and then the sound comes back) this happens constantly, like every 5-10 seconds.

I've tested other devices connected to the sound system through the same optical port (PS3, HTPC) and they work fine.

I've tried a different optical cable that I know should work.

I've tried switching sound on the TV back to "TV Speaker" and that works fine, so I've narrowed it down that it has something to do with the TV optical port.

The TV is just out of warranty (I believe the Bravia LCD series is covered by 12 month warranty?)

Has anyone experienced this same problem, or have any ideas of what could possibly fix it?

Cheers heaps in advance!

Call Sony - they cover everything no questions asked for 15 months - if not - call Sony and ask for assistance

Hi All

Is anyone here in the forum having a similar kind of problem? This only happens to me with Channel 9 HD, the rest of the HD channel works a treat.

Can anyone here shed some light?

Kind Regards

William

Take a picture and post it here

Well the KDL46X3100 purchased in Dec 2007 is about to get a service by Tech1 as I have the dreaded '13' times flashing red light - Malfunction of Balances issue. Hopefully won't take too long as the Sharp 37" is just woeful on component! (Love HDMI hey!)

David.

I purchased a Sony Bravia 40W5500 a couple of months back and can't get the Favorites filtering to work.

I can load channels onto my favorites list just fine and get them to display when viewing the onscreen Guide but when actually flicking through channels with the + / - Prog key it still slogs through every god damn channel/radio station that has been tuned. It's extremely frustrating that a tv which costs thousands of dollars doesn't have the basic functionality of a 50 dollar Kmart STB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the Instruction Manual was useless for trouble shooting this problem.

Edited by suffused

For those of you who were reading this thread 12 months ago, I had a bit of an ordeal with my 46" X series LCD which ended up with the panel getting replaced (after a 2 month wait for the panel to come from Japan).

Well guess what, the missus switched on the TV today and the dark lines/blurring have started again on the replacement panel!!

12 months on and the same issue has occurred... very annoyed.

I have an extended warranty and have lodged a request, but it still is very ordinary.

I asked for a replacement TV when in failed last time and they said 'that is not our policy with warranty claims'.

Well Sony will be getting a very firm letter of complaint and I don't think I will be buying one of their TV's again...

/rant