Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

Thanks for the review, read it with interest =) But now I'm a little worried as I'm in the market for a 40" Bravia and it will go in my bedroom but the problem is I won't always be viewing it from directly in front(unless I'm watching a movie), sometimes at decent angles but that would just be while I'm on my PC and watching normal TV, will it be that bad?

Also I need some help from someone who has had experience with the 40Z4500 AND 40XBR45. Those are the two models I am eyeing off atm. Problem is, I'm trying to work out if I should fork out the extra cash for the Z4500 and it's 200 Hz feature. I do watch a fair amount of sport which includes AFL and Motorsport but what I want to know is how much of a difference does the 200hz make when watching sport? Are we talking a big 'WOW' difference or an ever so slight difference? And does the XBR45 suffer from the odd skin colors that the Z4500 apparently suffers?

Thanks,

Damian

Ever thought of putting your TV on a swivel base (a bit like a large lazy susan)?

Ikea used to make one (semi-circular) which I have under my KDL46XBR3100 - this allows me to swing the TV a good 40 degrees so that its more easily viewable from the kitchen. It's stable and the swivel action isn't too stiff or loose.

Anyone got any suggested settings for the KDL-40E4500? Also is there any tips to get SD picture looking any better? HD stuff looks awesome most of the time especially from blu-ray but some of the regular SD channels are very poor quality at times. I haven't read all 89 pages sorry if this is answered somewhere.

Anyone got any suggested settings for the KDL-40E4500? Also is there any tips to get SD picture looking any better? HD stuff looks awesome most of the time especially from blu-ray but some of the regular SD channels are very poor quality at times. I haven't read all 89 pages sorry if this is answered somewhere.

Mate welcome to the world of crap TV programming .

Now you know why I hate watching old TV shows.

Move further away from the TV and turn off all noise reduction etc etc. SD/HD programs are commonly horrible.

Check out the News on all network channels ( shot on Full HD) and adjust for best picture.

ANSWER = TV network converting old Video tapes to Digital. Upconverting just shows the problems or they SOFTEN the picture so you wont complain of the blocky noise doen during conversion.

Mate welcome to the world of crap TV programming .

Now you know why I hate watching old TV shows.

Move further away from the TV and turn off all noise reduction etc etc. SD/HD programs are commonly horrible.

Check out the News on all network channels ( shot on Full HD) and adjust for best picture.

ANSWER = TV network converting old Video tapes to Digital. Upconverting just shows the problems or they SOFTEN the picture so you wont complain of the blocky noise doen during conversion.

I am thinking of geting a KDL40E4500. Any one got any advice? I tend to watch sport. Comments here too would be appreciated.

Thanks for that Hideous turning the noise reduction off did improve the look of SD for sure not sure if it made much difference on the HD channels probably looks slightly better on low on them but probably easier to have it off. What's the general consensus on motionflow? I can't say i notice much difference with it on.

Ok guys, here's an update. I contacted Sony and they had me first get a repair quote from an authorized repair shop. Once they got the quote, which was $1500, they told me that they would cover 75% of the repair since the entire panel needed to be replaced. I decided to go ahead with the repair to get my TV fixed. It cost me right around $500 - sad but at least my TV is fixed now and it looks great.

I just bought a similar Sony Bravia (KDL 46Z 4500), but not the extended warranty. Is it adviseable to get that warranty given a problem like this?

I have a new Bravia KDL46Z4500 and I can get a decent enough signal from my DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-EH50) on the TV, but cannot get the DVD to pick up any signal at all from the TV. All it seems to be able to record is a pretty crappy analogue signal from the coax cable plugged into the back of the DVD recorder.

There seems to be only one output that I can use from the Bravia (#6 - using red white yello cables) because my DVD recorder is so old that it doesn't have an HDMI input.

So, am I stuck with a recorder that simply cannot cope with the TV's HD abilities?

Your DVDR does not have an SD tuner

Recoding off a TV's internal tuner is pretty useless IMO.

Your TV should have AV Outs (Monitor out maybe - red, white, yellow) and you connect these to your recorders AV IN.

You then need the TV turned on and tuned to the channel you want, therefore you watch it as you record it. The best way to record DTV is to buy a Digital recorder, an twin tuner SD PVR is a good start. Otherwise there are a myriad of options to suit the different requirements of folks

Help:::::

I was thinking of getting the Bravia KDL-40E4500. I can't find much by way of user review. I was wondering if i could get anyones thoughts on the model and its use. I intend to watch a bit of football and was wondering how good it is for that. Any comments would be appreciated.

I just bought a similar Sony Bravia (KDL 46Z 4500), but not the extended warranty. Is it adviseable to get that warranty given a problem like this?

To make this decision I think it depends on the price of the warranty and exactly what it covers. In my case, I had the worse possible repair because basically the entire TV was replaced. When you factor in the warranty price plus tax, I probably paid $100 to $150 more than I would have if I purchased the warranty. Keep in mind however that most of the time you will be paying for piece of mind and basically throwing your money away. So I would say its a personal decision. I consider my situation about break-even so I am not worried about it.

Edited by aristile

the warranty for my mates 52" Z series was under $300 for an extra 4 years - the "in the box" warranty card said $650 but apparently the Sony extended warranty underwriters have changed and its cheaper

> call to Sony about my KDL40D3100

I call 1300 13 sony - press 3 digits - System drops out once this time - 7 minutes wasted before i get onto a Human. Takes all my details again 5 minutes wasted.

Talk to her for another 6 minutes while she gives me the run around about escalating my case to the one and only Warranty manager for my state.

I ask for a supervisior - I am denied. 3 more minutes of tripe.

I ask to talk to another Warranty Manager ( based in Sydney) supervisor - no there is only one for Victoria and he is sick.

Ask to talk to his supervisor - no that is not allowed and is unavailable.

Then I am told somone will get back to me from Warranty - 3-5 days but because of illness it could be up to 10 days before somone contacts me.

Well its been 7 days and no one has contacted me so far.

I contacted the Service Center and asked what is going on - they say they are waiting on Sony.

Its fun being on the receiving end of Service. They leave themselves open for all sorts of Dept of Fair trading hearings.

Its been fun because Sony had a minor restructure and based all customer service in Sydney now.

No more local Sony assistance other than the Service centers.

I asked for parts assistance on my own behalf - knowing that "normally" it would be granted. Like all warranty/insurance helpdesk people they deny all claims initially to save cost.

My tuner for which i have had 3 so far - will cost me $577 + labour. When I know I refurbished tuner only cost $50 - $150.

I can feel a VCAT hearing coming on !

I got the 46Z4500 from JB's here in Perth last 2 weeks ago for $3100. Am waiting for a new entertainment unit to house the telly, so have only managed to turn it on for one night.

I have a Vista Media Centre (3 HD Tuners) which i connected up to the TV. HD content looks great on it. Haven't connected any 1080p devices as yet. SD content needs a better vieiwing time to gauge its abilities.

One problem which is driving me a lil crazy is trying to get PC-audio playback through the TV. For the aforementioned viewing i had to resort to connecting my Stereo to the pcAudio-out, in order to get sound.

I am connecting the tv to the pc via a Belkin DVI-HDmi cable.

I am using a seperate 3.5mm audio cable to run audio.

I have tried both HDMI ports on the back of the TV, for picture. (both display picture fine)

I have tried both 3.5mm Audio-in jacks on the back of the TV for sound. (sound only works when the HDMI cable is unplugged)

I have read the manual 5 times from cover-to-cover now. There doesn't appear to be a setting anywhere to select audio-in.

Can anyone advise how to get the audio and picture to work at the same time on this telly.

Thanking you.

Also i was thinking of updating my Bravia's firmware to the latest US version. so i can get the XMB mainly, but also to see if it will fix the audio problem.

Any problems with doing this? I think the tuner is separate so it shouldnt be affected.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=955580

Did you ever go ahead with altering your firmware?

I'm really keen to upgrade mine to give me an EPG. It appears that the European models have this (xbr3000 &3500) but the US versions do not (xbr4 & 5)

Has anyone sucessfully changed their KDL-40X3100 to an either European or US firmware?

LOL

the tuner is specifically made for Australia - you can attempt to flash up the TV micro using a memory stick - but get the AU version BEFORE you try.

EPG is tuner related - the 70" version is the EU model will flash up but the electronics are completely different to all the other xbr/x3100's

Edited by hideous

I got the 46Z4500 from JB's here in Perth last 2 weeks ago for $3100. Am waiting for a new entertainment unit to house the telly, so have only managed to turn it on for one night.

I have a Vista Media Centre (3 HD Tuners) which i connected up to the TV. HD content looks great on it. Haven't connected any 1080p devices as yet. SD content needs a better vieiwing time to gauge its abilities.

One problem which is driving me a lil crazy is trying to get PC-audio playback through the TV. For the aforementioned viewing i had to resort to connecting my Stereo to the pcAudio-out, in order to get sound.

I am connecting the tv to the pc via a Belkin DVI-HDmi cable.

I am using a seperate 3.5mm audio cable to run audio.

I have tried both HDMI ports on the back of the TV, for picture. (both display picture fine)

I have tried both 3.5mm Audio-in jacks on the back of the TV for sound. (sound only works when the HDMI cable is unplugged)

I have read the manual 5 times from cover-to-cover now. There doesn't appear to be a setting anywhere to select audio-in.

Can anyone advise how to get the audio and picture to work at the same time on this telly.

Thanking you.

Found out what the problem was... Turns out that the video card is was using in my Vista MediaCentre was actually sending out a null-signal (through hdmi), which in turned blocked any external audio signals into the TV, even external audio. Switched to a brand new ATI HD4850 video card and have audio through HDMI.

My Bravia 46X3100 is almost a year old now (it is about 2 weeks away from end of warranty, so I'll be calling Sony support very soon) and it has just developed an intermittent fault. It hasn't happened often (only 3 times in about 7 days) but when it happens, it only happens when first switched on. The left side of the screen flickers a *lot*, kind of like a cross between a bad signal and the vertical hold is off. When it happens it affects every input (including SD/HD channels and PS3/HDMI/1080p). After a few minutes the fault disappears, then our current experience is that it doesn't reappear for a day or more.

The fault is hard to explain so I've managed to video it. The first two videos show the problem, where the left side is flickering like mad. It is easiest to see when the Bravia on-screen menu is displayed. The third video shows "normal" behaviour, just after the fault disappeared.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/chrismiles/videos/8/

http://www.viddler.com/explore/chrismiles/videos/12/

http://www.viddler.com/explore/chrismiles/videos/13/

Anybody seen such a fault before and know what the cause and expected repair will be? I'm trying to find out as much about it before I contact Sony support so I know what to expect in advance.

Cheers,

Chris

My Bravia 46X3100 is almost a year old now (it is about 2 weeks away from end of warranty, so I'll be calling Sony support very soon) and it has just developed an intermittent fault. It hasn't happened often (only 3 times in about 7 days) but when it happens, it only happens when first switched on. The left side of the screen flickers a *lot*, kind of like a cross between a bad signal and the vertical hold is off. When it happens it affects every input (including SD/HD channels and PS3/HDMI/1080p). After a few minutes the fault disappears, then our current experience is that it doesn't reappear for a day or more.

The fault is hard to explain so I've managed to video it. The first two videos show the problem, where the left side is flickering like mad. It is easiest to see when the Bravia on-screen menu is displayed. The third video shows "normal" behaviour, just after the fault disappeared.

Anybody seen such a fault before and know what the cause and expected repair will be? I'm trying to find out as much about it before I contact Sony support so I know what to expect in advance.

Cheers,

Chris

I have this model, and it looks like you are having the same problem I had.

If it the same problem, it will get worse. About a month after the flickering started (right side on my TV), 2/3 of the screen went dark when the TV was first switched on, seemed to right itself after a few minutes.

My TV was about 1 month out of manufacturer's warranty when the flickering started. I have extended warranty through JB Hi Fi and they were quoted a fee of $1100 to repair (about $800 parts, $300 labour - a "main board" apparently). I am expecting them to get back to me with a decision on whether to repair or replace.

cheers,

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Please search this topic for "redhead65", "mickmcc" and "K Space". We've all experienced the same issue with our Bravia 46X3100 TVs. This appears to be a common problem and should be reported asap to Sony - before the end of your warranty. If you have not purchased an extended warranty for your TV I highly recommend you do so now as this TV appears to have a number of common problems... i.e. Panel - the problem you're experiencing, Digital Tuner failures, Panel clouding, and TV switching itself off.

Cheers,

redhead65.

Hi Chris,

Please search this topic for "redhead65", "mickmcc" and "K Space". We've all experienced the same issue with our Bravia 46X3100 TVs. This appears to be a common problem and should be reported asap to Sony - before the end of your warranty. If you have not purchased an extended warranty for your TV I highly recommend you do so now as this TV appears to have a number of common problems... i.e. Panel - the problem you're experiencing, Digital Tuner failures, Panel clouding, and TV switching itself off.

Cheers,

redhead65.

Thanks guys, the info is very helpful. The fault is getting worse already, it flickers almost every morning after first switching it on now, instead of only once/twice a week. It only lasts a minute or two and you can also get rid of it by wobbling the unit a bit (not that I'd recommend doing that too much). Looks like a dodgy connection or more likely a dry or cold solder joint. Will be reporting to Sony today.

You mentioned purchasing the extended warranty. Will they still sell it to me 11.5 months after purchase? I know Sony's extended warranty offer is only available for 90 days after purchase. I originally bought the TV from Good Guys, didn't bother with extended warranty at the time (I never usually do) but if they'll still sell it I'll definitely take a look.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks guys, the info is very helpful. The fault is getting worse already, it flickers almost every morning after first switching it on now, instead of only once/twice a week. It only lasts a minute or two and you can also get rid of it by wobbling the unit a bit (not that I'd recommend doing that too much). Looks like a dodgy connection or more likely a dry or cold solder joint. Will be reporting to Sony today.

You mentioned purchasing the extended warranty. Will they still sell it to me 11.5 months after purchase? I know Sony's extended warranty offer is only available for 90 days after purchase. I originally bought the TV from Good Guys, didn't bother with extended warranty at the time (I never usually do) but if they'll still sell it I'll definitely take a look.

Cheers

Chris

I'm sure you'll find that you can only buy the extended waranty at the time of purchasing the TV.

Certainly need to...as 1 year factory guarantee is bullsh**!!

I'm sure you'll find that you can only buy the extended waranty at the time of purchasing the TV.

Certainly need to...as 1 year factory guarantee is bullsh**!!

Actually, I spoke to Sony today and they were quite happy to sell me an extended warranty, even though my TV was bought 11 3/4 months ago. They said I could buy it anytime until the initial warranty runs out.

I agree that 1 year factory warranty is rubbish for these kinds of expensive items.