Sign in to follow this  
Bry

Sony Bravia Owners Thread

Hi.

I'm thinking about getting the 52" X3100. I've managed to negotiate the price down to $5400 (with only 12 months manufac warranty). Is this a good price?

And your still here, go and buy that TV NOW!

Hi.

I'm thinking about getting the 52" X3100. I've managed to negotiate the price down to $5400 (with only 12 months manufac warranty). Is this a good price?

Buy it NOW!!!

I managed $5950 when the rec retail was $7499....now with it being $6499, what you've been quoted is quite good....

I'm spewing a bit cause Sony dropped the price a week after I bought mine :angry: And I know I could have wrangled more out of them at HN

Im pretty happy with my unit. Have a few niggling issues.

Watching Bionic Women Yesterday on 7HD yesterday the amount of blur/breakup was shocking in fast moving/chase scenes.

Are there any specific settings I can use to minimize this in future?

Using the Xbox 360 in 1080P with component on the left side of the screen you can notice the picture is not perfect with some dots going down. 720P and 1080I dont have this problem.

HDMI on the PS3 1080P is fine.

Anyone else getting this?

got a couple of questions fellas.

1) the bezel on the X3100 series - do they come with a default black one? or do you overlay other bezels on top of the screen.

2) best price on the 40X3100? looking at getting this screen this week sometime.

Edited by anandr

Hi.

Sony Central in Adelaide have the 52" x series advertised for $4,999 in todays Advertiser.

Watching Bionic Women Yesterday on 7HD yesterday the amount of blur/breakup was shocking in fast moving/chase scenes.

Using the Xbox 360 in 1080P with component on the left side of the screen you can notice the picture is not perfect with some dots going down. 720P and 1080I dont have this problem.

hi rabidwolve

I to had the same problem and i to are looking for some answers, i have noticed a couple times before as well on other programs with a lot of camera moved and quick movement within the scene.

i have a bravia 46" x3100

Cheers if any one can guide me to less pixelation

And your still here, go and buy that TV NOW!

I too have a Vista Media Center HTPC with a ATI 2600XT. The problem where if you turn the TV off and on, with the PC running is a known Windows bug caused by the aggressive Power settings. There is no software fix for it and the only way yo stopis by buying a DVI Doctor (google it) for $60 to hold the EDID at all times so the computer keeps the display outputing no matter what you do to the display. I have read many forums that saw Vista SP1 will fix it or ATI / Nvidia are going to fix it in theoir drivers but I wouldnt hold my breath. By the way the NVidia 8600 has the same problem and some of then wont even display the POST screen, only displaying once windows is up. Very fustrating aye. At least its not Sony's fault as some people have presumed.

I too have a Vista Media Center HTPC with a ATI 2600XT. The problem where if you turn the TV off and on, with the PC running is a known Windows bug caused by the aggressive Power settings. There is no software fix for it and the only way yo stopis by buying a DVI Doctor (google it) for $60 to hold the EDID at all times so the computer keeps the display outputing no matter what you do to the display. I have read many forums that saw Vista SP1 will fix it or ATI / Nvidia are going to fix it in theoir drivers but I wouldnt hold my breath. By the way the NVidia 8600 has the same problem and some of then wont even display the POST screen, only displaying once windows is up. Very fustrating aye. At least its not Sony's fault as some people have presumed.

Also those who are having motion blur problems, please post your settings and I will see if I can help. For example, Bionic Women is shot in 24 fps film so if you Cinemotion set on Auto 2, it will DISABLE Motion Enhancer no matter what you have it set on. Also the ripping you mention is caused by having edge enhancer etc on with Auto1/High CE/ME settings. Also if you are using the Vivid/Standard setting it will have DRC on which screws up the resolution when deinterlacing.

Post you settings and i will see if I can help.

Posting your settings like this will help:

Mode: Cinema

Backlight: 3

Picture: 87

Brightness: 44

Color: 62

Hue: 50

Color Temp: Warm 2

Noise Reduction: Low

Mpeg Noise Reduction: Off

DRC: Off

Black Corrector: Off

ACE: Off

Gamma: Off

Clear White: Off

Color Space: Standard

Live Color: Off

White Balance:

Red Gain: 0

Green Gain: -3

Blue Gain: -5

Red Bias: +1

Green Bias: -3

Blue Bias: -4

Detail Enhancer: Low

Edge Enhancer: Off

Motion Enhancer: Off (It does a pretty good job of removing judder natively)

Cinemotion: Auto1

Video Color Space (x.v.color): Off

Color Matrix: Auto

Game/Text: Off

Light Sensor: Off

Display Area: Full

Hi all,

I have recently bought a 46X3100 and have been blown away by the picture quality. I'm really happy with the set.

But, A couple of days ago, it refused to power-up correctly.

Yesterday it seemed a little worse, and tonight, I can't convince the set to power-up at all.

Normally, the TV sits in standby mode. We use the remote to turn it on.

Symptoms - Green power light comes on (with the Logo) and after 5 - 10 seconds, it goes into a cycle of re-starting, every 5 - 10 seconds.

I have turned the set off, at the side, and started again.

I have turned off, removed the power cable and tried again, waiting for up to 20 minutes before reconnecting the power.

The symptoms can vary a little, from attempt to attempt. Sometimes I get one flash of the green power light before glowing steady, other times a couple of flashes. Sometimes it can take more than 30 seconds before the logo illuminates, then nothing further.

If there is any help/advice, I'd be really grateful (so would the family) as it's Friday night and I can't contact anyone at Sony to start to help until Monday morning.

Guest cemalley

This is not a problem with your TV or settings - same issue on both my plasma and CRT - it is the broadcast.

You might have a block noise reduction setting but it is hard to do much with the real problem of just too low a bitrate of the broadcast.

Hi.

New here. Im looking at a KDL40D3100.

Are these any good or should I go the W series.

I dont particularly like the glass on the X series but do I need 1080?

Thanx

Tim.

Going to buy the 52 X series in the next day or so.

Went to a couple of different stores today and found the cheapest to be $5175 (or $5375 with delivery and 5 year warranty) from bing lee. Judging from the rest of the posts, that price seems pretty good. Should i go for the buy or try to look for a better deal?

Hi.

That's okay (not great) price for 52" XBR 2007, not X series.

Hi.

Thanx

Tim.

Are you planning on watching the new HD formats or are content with DVD?

In my opinion ,go futureproof or go home!.Go for glory, get the W series if you can strech the budget.the $800ish dollar difference (if u were to pay retail) is worth every clam in detail.

But then again you could be one of the thousands that are still in awe at a 16:9 compared to a 4:3 set , therfore the D series will be all you need.

Personally i dont mind the "floating glass design" , makes a nice change from the finger print friendly, popular piano black most companies are going for at the moment & looks like a Sony. ( black matchs components however)

What i would like to know is what colour bezels are available for the X series? & can we get a 'gun metal grey' bezel to turn it into a XBR? :wacko:

Edited by MrMan

This is not a problem with your TV or settings - same issue on both my plasma and CRT - it is the broadcast.

You might have a block noise reduction setting but it is hard to do much with the real problem of just too low a bitrate of the broadcast.

Cheers for that.

Heroes seemed fine so it was just the Broadcast of Bionic Woman.

When playing some Halo 3 yesterday something weird happened with my 46X3100.

The screen went blank in the middle of gameplay, around 20 or so seconds later it stayed black, then returned to the screen to select which state your in.

Very strange. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I got a 32"D and when I watch digital tv I seem to experience picture break up (I think that's what its called). Anyone else get it often? Or could it be my tv? Or antenna? Coz I don't think its the broadcast coz I asked my friend if they experienced it during a show and they said they didn't whereas I did..(she owns a 42" Panasonic 7A). Can anyone help? Cheers

Hi.

Thanx

Tim.

if you like to watch sport I would get the D series.... it has a 100mhz mode which displays fast action a lot better than the W series, which has a better resolution but no 100mhz mode.

Or you could get the X series, which has both. :)

Couple of things-

- Rabid, When running Halo3 on 1080i, was there a noticable difference compared to 1080p (aside from the dots)? Huge improvement on 1080p?

- Anyone using an XB360 with HDMI and playing Halo3? I'm curious to know if there's a huge difference between 1080i vs 1080p. Why? After reading this post-

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php...c&start=559, I'm not so sure if buying an XB360 with the HDMI port is worth it.

Thanks.

Foxtel is watchable at normal viewing distances on the Sony 46in but it is not as good as FTA digital.

Depending on the channel it varies from VHS quality (ESPN/TCM) to poorly mastered DVD quality (Showtime/Movie 1).

I've had my 46X3100 for about 3 weeks now and am very happy with most aspects of it.

The HD channels are fine if the source is good (although as noted the channel change time is ridiculously slow) but the SD channels on the internal tuner display a considerably worse picture than the same channels displayed through my Toppy 5000. Some SD programs (eg. Bionic Woman, Prison Break, CSIs give beautifully detailed results through the Toppy's SD tuners).

As others have noted, Foxtel quality is very variable - nothing is as good as free to air but some channels are not too bad. I've been enjoying the Masters tennis broadcasts on Fox Sports this week - certainly softer than free to air but quite watchable without wanting to throw things at the screen.

The remote and menuing system are rather strange and take some getting used to (as do the PIP split screen functions) but I am currently writing this while displaying my laptop screen on the Bravia (with the cricket running in the lower right corner of the screen). This works brilliantly through the VGA connection (and allows the audio from the cricket to be heard as well).

I also use an XBox (the old one, not a 360) with XBMC to stream Divx files from my computer and the picture is a bit soft but still very watchable.

When the price of Blue Ray/ HD DVD players comes down to a reasonable level, I will no doubt enjoy the full glory of the 1080p resolution but until then, it still displays some excellent pictures.

Hi all,

My first post and have read a lot of the threads on this excellent forum to make a decision on what TV to get. I like the Sony's and so have narrowed it down to choosing what series to get. Specifically, I'm looking at a 32" or 40", and then deciding between a D or W series.....or maybe the X series if I think it's worth the extra $$.

I'm a photographer and a big part of the reason for an LCD purchase is to show clients their photos in high res on a big screen. I hope to show them stills, but also slideshows with music for a really interactive and exciting look at their shots. There is a lot of info on the forums re IQ with SD, HD, or DVD but I havent seen much about people viewing photos, either from a computer link, off an external hard drive, or through something like Apple TV which I might buy as well. Can anyone tell me what their experience has been with this? Does anyone have an Apple TV or equivalent set up?

I'm also a little unsure how easy it will be to set up, so I made a CD and a data DVD of various resolution photos to test at the local stores. I've been into Harvey Norman (useless sales person) and JB Hifi (excellent) but couldnt get my photos to load from either a DVD or Blu-Ray player......and I tried an external hard drive via the USB port but I think now the problem might be that it was an Apple configured hard drive. I would have though the TV would pick up files like JPG's without any trouble, at least off the data CD or DVD, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Has anyone done this sort of thing or used an external hard drive to plug into the USB port?

Thanks,

Darryn

I've just noticed there are two of these threads so I'll post this again in this one:

I've had my 52X3100 for a week now and it's fricken great. Movies and games are so immersive, although I wish I could scale regular TV down to a 46" or 40" size. I've tried with the picture and picture and just had a black source for the smaller of the two, but not having the main picture centred is a little off putting.

My current dilema though, and I'm sure I've read somewhere about this but can't for the life of me find it, is getting lag while playing my 360. I'm not sure the audio is a problem, but there is definitely a delay when touching the controller to when it reacts on screen. Not much but enough for intricate things. A simple game of Pinball really sucks. Any thoughts?

I didn't even realise you could do 1080p via component. I thought the best you could get was 1080i.

Got the 52" x series yesterday but unfortunately haven't had time to set it up yet. One question i have though, is it better to have the tv running to a hdmi amp and have all the input's going through that or just plugging straight into the tv.

My only issue with plugging everything to the tv is that we need to add connections in later, we would have to take it off the mount and etc.

Also anyone have any recommendations for a decent hdmi amp. currently looking at the Onkyo TX-SR605, but not sure what else is out there that would compete for money and quality....

Got the 52" x series yesterday but unfortunately haven't had time to set it up yet. One question i have though, is it better to have the tv running to a hdmi amp and have all the input's going through that or just plugging straight into the tv.

My only issue with plugging everything to the tv is that we need to add connections in later, we would have to take it off the mount and etc.

Also anyone have any recommendations for a decent hdmi amp. currently looking at the Onkyo TX-SR605, but not sure what else is out there that would compete for money and quality....

IMO which path to take is largely dependant on your hardware and your availability of inputs , If your Revicer caters for all of the inputs you want and is of decent quality my personal preference is to let it control everything. I use no hdmi though and can't comment on how amps effect picture quality or how buggy cheaper amps are ect , if it is anything like component then it will just pass through what it has to but hdmi being very different and beign a combination of video and audio could complicate things for lowend receivers

Something i noticed on a friends HDMI reciver is that he gets lip sync issues sometimes, from what i have been told this has to do with the processing engine in the amplifier , it kind of makes sence that this would happen because of the way hdmi works , the receiver would have to split the data and play the audio , aswell as pass through the data untouched to the Display output which would take time for a crappy receiver . If he swaps things over though and runs everything through the tv and then uses an optical out from the TV to his receiver everything plays flawlesly, as it does when he runs over component